Jets are talkin' to the Jags...

Jets Babe

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Because Cutler is an above average QB, and a drama queen who is older than Sanchez.

Sanchez has better accuracy, is smarter, and is very pro-ready. Oh yeah, and he's young.

Jets can strike it rich with Sanchez, much like the Falcons did with Matt Ryan.

Very pro-ready? Are you kidding? What makes you think that? He is probably the least pro-ready QB to be forecast as a 1st rounder since... well... Chad Pennington.

I agree, Cutler is a young QB with a great arm. I was pissed when we didn't trade for him. But the ceiling is so much higher for Sanchez. The Jets can strike it rich with Sanchez.

And Sanchez has a MUCH better arm than CP, it's not even funny.

Not to mention, he played much tougher competition in college than CP, Stafford, and Freeman. If I had to pick ANY QB in the draft, I'm picking Sanchez over all of them. Then Bhomar (for his value in the later rounds).

Most QB prospects have better arm strength than Pennington. Most 3rd stringers in the NFL have better arm strength than Pennington (although worse accuracy). Based on his performance at USC and this past spring in workouts, Sanchez has below average arm strength. His arm strength at USC and this past spring impressed no one.

Erica,

It would kill me to see the Jets trade up to get Sanchez. Sanchez's arm strength isn't as bad as Chad's, but it isn't very good either. We have all seen what happens to weaker armed QBs in the East Rutherford winds. Please, enough with QBs who do not have a gun for an arm. With the new stadium being taller, the winds will whip around even more. In addition, Sanchez is not ready to start in the NFL, not having had enough experience starting at USC. Sanchez could end up being a fine NFL QB, but I am not sold on the opinion that he is worth multiple day 1 picks. Let's see what the current Jets youong'ens got (meaning Ratliff) build up other positions of need in this draft (DE, WR for example) and id Clemens, Rat and Ainge stink it up in '09, then shoot for a QB in the 2010 draft. This would be the more intelligent course of action for Ryanbaum to take this year.

Actually (and bear in mind I'm just playing devil's advocate here because I am not crazy about Sanchez at all) if Ryan and Tannenbaum really love Sanchez and they can get him, it makes no sense to wait. If they think he is a bona fide NFL franchise QB, they gotta go get him.

you tube highlight snipped

Yeah, can't hit the deep ball....:shock:

In workouts this spring and in front of scouts and the press, Sanchez struggled to get the ball downfield to WRs. They had to slow up and wait. Pass.

To be fair though, if the Jets really do like Sanchez and you genuinely believe that he's the future of this franchise (In the way the Ravens did with Flacco last season) then you have to pull the trigger.

yeah.....if the coaching staff want to trade up to get their guy then i'm on board. ithink we have to do something about our qb situation anjyway.

Would you guys be in favor of the move to draft Sanchez? I would. Sanchez is a winner with a terrific skillset.

Hopefully this came from the same source as the Campbell thing, cause **** no I wouldn't trade up to 8 for him. I didn't really even want him at 17.

me too... Mayock is awesome with Qb's.. he was the one screaming about how good cutler is... while everyone else was allover vince young and leinert

He was also very high on Matt Ryan while many others were questioning his arm strength and ability.

Sound familiar?

Very pro-ready? Are you kidding? What makes you think that? He is probably the least pro-ready QB to be forecast as a 1st rounder since... well... Chad Pennington.

This is not true, at all. There are 3 projected 1st round QBs: Stafford, Sanchez, and Freeman.

Freeman is a project player who will not be pro-ready in his rookie year. He could have benefited from staying for his senior year.

Stafford is an excellent QB, but I don't know if I would like him at #1. Sanchez is a better choice at #8. He would be cheaper, and he is pro-ready. He stayed at USC for 4 years. He played some games his Soph. year when JDBooty broke his finger, and did decent considering his age. Sanchez played great his Junior year especially versus top competition. Sure, he could have benefitted from staying his Senior year...but he did not want to make the same mistake Leinart did. Sanchez is going to be great.

He was also very high on Matt Ryan while many others were questioning his arm strength and ability.

Sound familiar?

One of the theories as to why college starts are predictive of NFL performance is that a larger body of work gives scouts a better chance of accurately evaluating a quarterback. Sanchez has a lot to overcome before you even roll the film. He's a junior. He doesn't have prototypical size or a great arm. He cares about football but is not nearly the workaholic that the stories of his chalkboard sessions make him out to be. Plus he probably raped a guy. I'm sorry, but anybody who can say with any degree of confidence that Sanchez is a franchise quarterback based on sixteen games and despite all indications to the contrary has an overblown sense of his own opinion.

Two things with that video:

1. The deep passes are not the usual college highlights where a WR has no one within 15 yards of him & is standing still when the pass gets there. Even when his receivers are wide open, they don't seem to need to break stride (let alone come to an outright halt) to wait for the ball to get there. I'm trying to look at that more than how many tackles a WR broke to officially make it a TD pass.

2. Like all highlight videos, all you see is the good stuff here. I'm sure there is no youtube shortage of impressive compilations of guys who were total flops in the NFL. When under pressure he's just not going to have Cotchery standing all by himself 30 yards downfield waving his arms as though yelling "Throw it to me! I'm open! Throw it to me!"

The deep passes are very impressive, the WR's are hit in stride. Whether they're wide open or not they're great passes.

Obviously, it's only going to be "good stuff". My point was that 124 was wrong when he said he "couldn't hit the deep ball". He throws a great deep ball IMO. Here's a good video of his rose bowl performance, which has ALL pass attempts, not just the good stuff against a very good Penn State defense:

yNwVfPNhYtI

Sanchez has great accuracy and his very quick release is a brilliant attribute to have for the NFL. I like what he can do under pressure, you're right in that he wont have Cotch wide open standing waiting on a pass BUT he will be able to improvise and make plays with his legs and check it down.

I like him a lot better than Stafford, who I think (And I've said this since the end of the college season) is the most overrated QB in a long time.

One of the theories as to why college starts are predictive of NFL performance is that a larger body of work gives scouts a better chance of accurately evaluating a quarterback. Sanchez has a lot to overcome before you even roll the film. He's a junior. He doesn't have prototypical size or a great arm. He cares about football but is not nearly the workaholic that the stories of his chalkboard sessions make him out to be. Plus he probably raped a guy. I'm sorry, but anybody who can say with any degree of confidence that Sanchez is a franchise quarterback based on sixteen games and despite all indications to the contrary has an overblown sense of his own opinion.

So, are you for or against trading up for Sanchez?

Stafford at 1 is where the trouble is..

Stafford at 1 isn't trouble. It's a credible threat. I don't know why the Lions haven't leaked that they're going to take him. Having the tackles to play off each other helps, but it's not enough because at the end of the day the GM isn't going to lose his job if he passes on one who turns out to be a star.

Well, Sanchez appears to be rising on many boards and some are putting him ahead of Stafford and into the #1 QB in the nation slot. People who evaluate talent for a living see something in him, and IMO Mayock is the best in the business.

Are there risk factors with this pick? Of course. I'm not thrilled about the idea of moving up for him, but the fact remains we are desperately thin at the QB position.

Well, Sanchez appears to be rising on many boards and some are putting him ahead of Stafford and into the #1 QB in the nation slot. People who evaluate talent for a living see something in him, and IMO Mayock is the best in the business.

Qualifications are irrelevant. Given 1-2-3-4-5-X, a two-year old can tell you X is 6. Given 1-X, X can't be determined by anybody.

The deep passes are very impressive, the WR's are hit in stride. Whether they're wide open or not they're great passes.

Obviously, it's only going to be "good stuff". My point was that 124 was wrong when he said he "couldn't hit the deep ball". He throws a great deep ball IMO. Here's a good video of his rose bowl performance, which has ALL pass attempts, not just the good stuff against a very good Penn State defense:

yNwVfPNhYtI

Sanchez has great accuracy and his very quick release is a brilliant attribute to have for the NFL. I like what he can do under pressure, you're right in that he wont have Cotch wide open standing waiting on a pass BUT he will be able to improvise and make plays with his legs and check it down.

I like him a lot better than Stafford, who I think (And I've said this since the end of the college season) is the most overrated QB in a long time.

Those deep balls were also heaves. Looked like he ran up and launched, not normal, step into them throws. I haven't seen enough to form much opinion, but that first youtube clip did not impress me with a big arm. I'm not watching any more from work. You guys got me in enough trouble yesterday googling "how long marijuana stays in your system for a urine test" from work. Not what I want the guys in IT seeing.

True. WHich is why you don't take him top 8 with the corresponding big contract. At 17 there's much less of a commitment.

btw, here's Lewin on Sanchez:

Lewin on Sanchez: It's difficult to doubt Sanchez's ability to be a big-time QB despite his low starts total. His body of work is excellent and he demonstrated accuracy as a junior. Sanchez's production in the Steve Sarkisian system is clearly superior to Booty's. However, low-start guys have the most to gain from sitting early in their careers. Sanchez needs to be in a situation like Matt Cassel or Aaron Rodgers. If he has to play right away, there is a strong chance Sanchez will fail. Seattle at No. 4 would be a good fit. The Seahawks could start Matt Hasselbeck for 2-3 more seasons while Sanchez prepares.

Stafford at 1 isn't trouble. It's a credible threat. I don't know why the Lions haven't leaked that they're going to take him. Having the tackles to play off each other helps, but it's not enough because at the end of the day the GM isn't going to lose his job if he passes on one who turns out to be a star.

Lions haven't leaked because they want to have the pick signed before the draft. I read somewhere last week where they are holding quiet negotiations with three potential picks.

Lions haven't leaked because they want to have the pick signed before the draft. I read somewhere last week where they are holding quiet negotiations with three potential picks.

The point of leaking Stafford is to sign one of the tackles before the draft.

btw, here's Lewin on Sanchez:

I really couldn't care less. Lewin deserves all the credit in the world for developing the model but when it comes to interpreting it he's just wild-ass guessing like the rest of us. Clemens and the injury adjustment debacle springs readily to mind.

True. WHich is why you don't take him top 8 with the corresponding big contract. At 17 there's much less of a commitment.

That's stupid. If a quarterback is worth the replacement cost at 17 he's worth the monetary cost at 8. Sanchez isn't.

Archived