JETS mock draft 2009

Jetscode1

Just completed my first JETS mock draft for this year. Please take a look and provide feedback. Thanks.

Rd 1: Darrius Heyward-Bey, Maryland epitomizes the boom or bust potential of the middle of the first round. Not a lot of production because Maryland's passing game was terrible but the kid has the exceptional speed and size NFL teams covet. Instantly gives us a dynamic big play receiver who will force defenses to defend the entire field.

Rd 2: Fili Moala, Southern California is one of the players we usually see Parcells or Belichick draft. He will do the dirty work and let the others take the credit. Three LBs from his team have the potential to get drafted in the first round and that say a lot about Fili Moala. Another big planet guy to keep Jenkins fresh and could also see some reps at DE. His cousin is Haloti Ngata who played for Rex Ryan in Baltimore.

Rd 3: Stephen McGee, Texas A&M is somewhat raw after a shoulder injury limited him to three games in 2008. Can make all the throws and plays like a gunslinger. Solid showings in the East-West Shrine Game, at the NFL scouting combine and at A&M's pro day have raised his stock. IMO, the jury is still out on KC and Ratliff and we need to continue to draft quality QBs until one of them step up.

Rd 4: TE Richard Quinn, North Carolina Many comments from the scouts have him as the best blocker among the TEs not named Pettigrew. Doesn’t offer much in the passing game but could develop. Essentially another offensive tackle at the line of scrimmage. Perfect complement to Dustin Kellar.

Rd 6: Antonio Appleby, Virginia is big enough to play ILB in a 3-4. Stout against the run. He can also line up on the edge and rush the passer and he’s experienced in a 3-4 from his time at UVA. We need insurance even after signing Bart Scott with Harris coming off an injury and sub-par season.

Rd 7: Gartrell Johnson, Colorado State is a powerful running back with excellent agility and vision. Runs with attitude. After earning the full-time starter in his senior year he rushed for over 1400 yards. Slow 40 at the combine hurt his draft stock and that only helps us get a late round sleeper.

Way to soon for McGee and Quinn, both those guys are late round or FA.

Thanks for the response. Had similar thoughts a several weeks ago (originally projected Mcgee to go in the sixth). Several of the draft sites (PFW and Draftcountdown..etc...) had both McGee and Quinn as late risers who should go off the board earlier than expected.

Thanks for the response. Had similar thoughts a several weeks ago (originally projected Mcgee to go in the sixth). Several of the draft sites (PFW and Draftcountdown..etc...) had both McGee and Quinn as late risers who should go off the board earlier than expected.

They might go higher but I don't think either will go before the 5th.

I would love this draft if, instead of Moala in the second, you changed it to an impact running back or pass rushing end. I think Moala is the type of player you can find later on in the draft--low impact, depth type player. Otherwise, I'm into your DHB pick (I don't LOVE the player, but if he pans out, he could be golden). The pick I LOVE is McGee. He had a star-crossed career at A&M, but I think is a real diamond in the rough who, I think, could be drafted in the third round by a team looking for a QB in a really, really ****ty draft for QB's. He may be the fourth best available QB prospect, imo.

I would love this draft if, instead of Moala in the second, you changed it to an impact running back or pass rushing end. I think Moala is the type of player you can find later on in the draft--low impact, depth type player. Otherwise, I'm into your DHB pick (I don't LOVE the player, but if he pans out, he could be golden). The pick I LOVE is McGee. He had a star-crossed career at A&M, but I think is a real diamond in the rough who, I think, could be drafted in the third round by a team looking for a QB in a really, really ****ty draft for QB's. He may be the fourth best available QB prospect, imo.

I hear what your saying with Moala...I had some other versions without him (and a higher rated RB) but kept thinking how poorly the defense played after Jenkins got hurt last year. We really need some quality depth on the DL so kept Fili and took a flyer on late round RB prospect. McGee has been getting a lot of attention lately. Originally thought he'd last till the later rounds. Definitely a strong developmental QB who could push the current QBs in a year or so.

Archived