Rex Says Kellen Had An" Outstanding" Practice Today

greekjetsfan128

I like how there's not a lot of bullsiht coming from Ryan-UNlike Mangini and stupid paranoia and secrecy. Like we're friggin' idiots and can't figure it out on our own. I mean logic tells you (and I've said it here) that the Jets if they have 6 picks will probably spend 4-or 5 of them on the O-side of the ball since the D has been the off season focus.

Kellen Clemens outguns Brett Ratliff again in New York Jets QB derby

Jets quarterback Kellen Clemens had coach Rex Ryan gushing about his performance in Friday's morning practice. For those keeping score, it's Clemens three and Brett Ratliff nothing.

For the third straight practice, Clemens outplayed Ratliff in their much-anticipated minicamp showdown. It is possible that Clemens' play might have eased the Jets' concerns about uncertainty at the position heading into the draft.

"I thought Clemens looked sharp today,'' said Ryan. "He did a decent job the first day but I really looked how he took charge of that offense today. He really brought that unit out. The tempo that they had. They had a lot of spark to them. He made some good decisions. He showed poise.

"He had some pressure in his face. Now, like (safety) Jim Leonhard told me, 'Come on, Rex, one good hit. Let us rattle him a couple of times.' I said, 'I don't know, guys, he had your number today.

"Ratty (Ratliff) made some great throws. He has a talented arm. But he still made a couple of mistakes in there. I'm sure that (the competition) will be going back and forth. Clearly, Clemens had an outstanding day today

Sounds like a toss up to me, but the important thing is both of them are looking good. I really don't care who wins, although I still think Ratty has more upside, I just want it to be a hard decision because they both play great, not because they both sucked.

I feel exactly the same way DM-all I know is these reports are making me feel a lot better about where we stand right now at signal caller

I like how there's not a lot of bullsiht coming from Ryan-UNlike Mangini and stupid paranoia and secrecy. Like we're friggin' idiots and can't figure it out on our own. I mean logic tells you (and I've said it here) that the Jets if they have 6 picks will probably spend 4-or 5 of them on the O-side of the ball since the D has been the off season focus.

Can you imagine Mangini saying anybody looked outstanding or calling Ratliff Ratty?

I am so happy Ryan is here. For a lot of reasons. Making things fun again is one of them.

Can you imagine Mangini saying anybody looked outstanding or calling Ratliff Ratty?

I am so happy Ryan is here. For a lot of reasons. Making things fun again is one of them.

and all the secrecy stuff that we always find out and I'm SURE the rest of the league knows about too, like who's hurt and on what part of the body. The Wallace Wright Kenwin Cummings smash up would have gotten us some "they're in getting treatment now" response. Also the draft stuff DM, like we don't friggin know that we need a WR a TE and some O-line help-maybe a QB.

I'm glad we got a no-drama HC-he reminds me a lot of the way Parcells was in his prime.

and all the secrecy stuff that we always find out and I'm SURE the rest of the league knows about too, like who's hurt and on what part of the body. The Wallace Wright Kenwin Cummings smash up would have gotten us some "they're in getting treatment now" response. Also the draft stuff DM, like we don't friggin know that we need a WR a TE and some O-line help-maybe a QB.

I'm glad we got a no-drama HC-he reminds me a lot of the way Parcells was in his prime.

Yes. And not just because they share the same body type. :D

Sounds like a toss up to me, but the important thing is both of them are looking good. I really don't care who wins, although I still think Ratty has more upside, I just want it to be a hard decision because they both play great, not because they both sucked.

Same page again. I'll totally root for whoever wins the job, be it Ratty OR KC. Sadly some posters will not.

Who's article is this, SFJ?

Kellen Clemens outguns Brett Ratliff again in New York Jets QB derby

Jets quarterback Kellen Clemens had coach Rex Ryan gushing about his performance in Friday's morning practice. For those keeping score, it's Clemens three and Brett Ratliff nothing.

For the third straight practice, Clemens outplayed Ratliff in their much-anticipated minicamp showdown. It is possible that Clemens' play might have eased the Jets' concerns about uncertainty at the position heading into the draft.

"I thought Clemens looked sharp today,'' said Ryan. "He did a decent job the first day but I really looked how he took charge of that offense today. He really brought that unit out. The tempo that they had. They had a lot of spark to them. He made some good decisions. He showed poise.

"He had some pressure in his face. Now, like (safety) Jim Leonhard told me, 'Come on, Rex, one good hit. Let us rattle him a couple of times.' I said, 'I don't know, guys, he had your number today.

"Ratty (Ratliff) made some great throws. He has a talented arm. But he still made a couple of mistakes in there. I'm sure that (the competition) will be going back and forth. Clearly, Clemens had an outstanding day today

This one certainly doesn't make it sound like a toss-up at all. Sounds more like Ratliff has some catching up to do between tomorrow and the first mandatory camp after the draft. I know Ratty has his admirers, but it would probably be better for the Jets if they could pick a starter before training camp even begins so they can use that time to get him ready. That might be the case if Kellen can continue his shutout.

I also like the idea of the team being happy enough with their QB's that they don't feel the need to trade up for an inexperienced junior in the draft. I'd rather get the QB who's here another weapon.

Same page again. I'll totally root for whoever wins the job, be it Ratty OR KC. Sadly some posters will not.

which is insane. You're either a Jets (team) fan or a player fan-which is it? Hell I can remeber when Al Woodall was my favorite NFL QB.

This one certainly doesn't make it sound like a toss-up at all. Sounds more like Ratliff has some catching up to do between tomorrow and the first mandatory camp after the draft. I know Ratty has his admirers, but it would probably be better for the Jets if they could pick a starter before training camp even begins so they can use that time to get him ready. That might be the case if Kellen can continue his shutout.

I also like the idea of the team being happy enough with their QB's that they don't feel the need to trade up for an inexperienced junior in the draft. I'd rather get the QB who's here another weapon.

http://jets.lohudblogs.com/2009/04/17/notes-off-the-morning-practice/ is this Jane McManus' blog?

Oh yea and after reading your response Slats; I totally agree.

Maybe we should aim a little lower. Let's see if he can be more of a "factor". then we'll work up to beast?

IDK Step, it's not often that we almost to a man and woman on the boards actually SEE something from an unknown like we did with Trusnik-we SAW the spark he provided-when was the last time we saw an unknown guy do that for us?

Totally disagree. Although it would certainly help the confidence of one or the other to get the nod sooner vs later, both of these guys have lots to prove and can take their game to another level at any time or fall on their face like Clemens did last year against Chad. A couple of mini-camps, even if it was as clear a difference as some would like to believe, is just the start of the race.

Totally disagree. Although it would certainly help the confidence of one or the other to get the nod sooner vs later, both of these guys have lots to prove and can take their game to another level at any time or fall on their face like Clemens did last year against Chad. A couple of mini-camps, even if it was as clear a difference as some would like to believe, is just the start of the race.

If Ratliff can't beat out Kellen in a single practice between now and when camp starts, I think it's best that they just give the bulk of first team reps to Kellen. Unless another QB is brought in, Ratliff will still see plenty of preseason action - but Kellen will get the much needed work with and against the starters.

But I understand I'm getting a little ahead of myself. ;)

how about say after the second pre-season game we name our starter? Let BOTH guys switch on and off to play with the first and second teams. No rush, just let the best guy win

If Ratliff can't beat out Kellen in a single practice between now and when camp starts, I think it's best that they just give the bulk of first team reps to Kellen. Unless another QB is brought in, Ratliff will still see plenty of preseason action - but Kellen will get the much needed work with and against the starters.

But I understand I'm getting a little ahead of myself. ;)

You have a point. Another factor is the fact that QB battles are not desirable for team unity. They want to know who their leader is going to be. On the other hand, both getting fairly equal opportunities to play with and against first stringers is very important in a true evaluation. I am glad Ryan and Shotty will make this decision. I know I would screw up. ;)

how about say after the second pre-season game we name our starter? Let BOTH guys switch on and off to play with the first and second teams. No rush, just let the best guy win

I think that would be the best compromise for a true and complete evaluation without getting too close to the opening season, unless it becomes obvious before then.

You have a point. Another factor is the fact that QB battles are not desirable for team unity. They want to know who their leader is going to be. On the other hand, both getting fairly equal opportunities to play with and against first stringers is very important in a true evaluation. I am glad Ryan and Shotty will make this decision. I know I would screw up. ;)

UNlike a lot of people here DM at least we know the reason why we're not running an NFL franchise and instead sitting at a computer desk talking about it...

UNlike a lot of people here DM at least we know the reason why we're not running an NFL franchise and instead sitting at a computer desk talking about it...

Absolutely, SFJ. But when it comes to UFOs, I know no such modesty. I am the world's foremost authority. :D

The only reason I'm sitting here is that the Jets seem to've misplaced my resume. :)

Archived