Jesus Montero is a beast

Morrissey

The guy has been a beast since the Yankees signed him at 16 years old.

2007: 17 years old (Rookie- Gulf Coast Yankees)

.280 BA / .366 OBP / .421 SLG / .786 OPS

2008: 18 years old (A- Charleston River Dogs)

.326 BA / .376 OBP / .491 SLG / .868 OPS

2009: 19 years old (Advanced A- Tampa Yankees)

.395 BA / .452 OBP / .658 SLG / 1.110 OPS

By this rationale then, 16 yr old Wilmer Flores is an absolute monster.

But I don't get worked up by Rookie and A-Ball numbers

By this rationale then, 16 yr old Wilmer Flores is an absolute monster.

But I don't get worked up by Rookie and A-Ball numbers

Waaawaaaawaaaaa!

Is this all you do? Bitch and moan, and piss on everything anyone says? If you don't care about it, then piss off.

By the way.. if you want talk about Wilmer Flores, be my guest, he's a great prospect.

When players get to advanced A you start to take a real close look at how there doing. You want to see how they do as they jump a level, and so far he's improved every step. I hope he gets to Trenton this year, that's a BIG test.

Waaawaaaawaaaaa!

Is this all you do? Bitch and moan, and piss on everything anyone says?

By the way.. if you want talk about Wilmer Flores, be my guest, he's a great prospect.

When players get to advanced A you start to take a real close look at how there doing. You want to see how they do as they jump a level, and so far he's improved every step. I hope he gets to Trenton this year, that's a BIG test.

If I know that some people will react, because all they care about is what they have to say, and will tune out anything that does not fit in their homerific world, then yes, that is what I will do.

Nothing I did was "bitching or moaning'. Just giving an alternative, like every other major league team has.

There are all star teams of Class A ball rookies who never get a cup of coffee, or sink when they see their first real curve ball.

Try not to be so sensitive.

I watched a kid go 4-4 & hit for the cycle yesterday...1st little league game out in Massapequa, LI. It's early, but the kid's a beast. Keep an eye out, will post next week after his 2nd game.

Send him to the Dominican Republic and he will get hooked up with a trainer, new Birth Certificate and a $2 million bonus.

I'm guessing you are the same people who watch college football players. You guys can drool over college freshman yet I can't even mention a kid 2 seasons away from the majors.

Football has a much easier translation from the lower level success l to success with a pro franchise.

It is not an art in football certainly, but baseball is a real crap shoot.

heck, look at Phil Hughes and his stuff ;)

SD is on my ignore list and for good reason. The people who add nothing to a conversation and only live for bull**** and negativity should just be ignored. Life will be better for it.

As opposed to you, who will make wisecracks about the looks of a poster (a woman) whom you have never met.

Gotcha. You certainly bring a lot to the betterment of society by your posts of revelation.

Bad example. Eric Duncan never hit in the minors, other than 45 at bats in Rookie ball. Though he is hitting .364 so far in '09.

Eric Duncan is hitting .364 right now in AAA and he's NOT playing third base in the Bronx? How can he NOT be better than Ransom?

Call him up!

I dunno. I think SD has a hard time with the terminology we sometimes use to describe players who haven't really proven a whole lot. Now, if the original post was along the lines of "nice to see Montero is excelling at every level he's played at, lets hope he can keep it up as he moves up the ranks" I don't think SD would have had much of an issue with it...but if he did, THEN he'd be acting like an a-hole. JMO.

Eric Duncan is hitting .364 right now in AAA and he's NOT playing third base in the Bronx? How can he NOT be better than Ransom?

Call him up!

His career in the minors indicates he's a scrub. I don't think you call him up based on one good week. Now, if he's juicin' and it's pumping up his numbers for a bit longer time frame, then by all means, make the move. Of course the material boy will be back in the Bronx by then and we can all go back to talking about A-Roid chasing Strippers and 65 y/o hags. Awesome.

I dunno. I think SD has a hard time with the terminology we sometimes use to describe players who haven't really proven a whole lot. Now, if the original post was along the lines of "nice to see Montero is excelling at every level he's played at, lets hope he can keep it up as he moves up the ranks" I don't think SD would have had much of an issue with it...but if he did, THEN he'd be acting like an a-hole. JMO.

Your own post pretty much validates what I said by stating "to describe players who haven't really proven a whole lot". Not surprisingly, coming from you AJF, someone who actually has a grip on realism in the sport.

Same thing with Wilmer Flores of the Mets.

We have all seen these "beasts" at the A level, who become caddy carrying bench jockeys.

But t is verbose for some to mention this.

Give me at least numbers at the AA level to show "potentioal".

His career in the minors indicates he's a scrub. I don't think you call him up based on one good week. Now, if he's juicin' and it's pumping up his numbers for a bit longer time frame, then by all means, make the move. Of course the material boy will be back in the Bronx by then and we can all go back to talking about A-Roid chasing Strippers and 65 y/o hags. Awesome.

Very nice.

Bad example. Eric Duncan never hit in the minors, other than 45 at bats in Rookie ball. Though he is hitting .364 so far in '09.

Actually in 04 and 05 when he hit for some power we did hear how he was projected as the next Yankee power hitter being that he is a LH hitter.

Tyler why delete your Op? Just because because SD is a pompous dick? Get a thicker skin dude, you're on the internet and you'll have to deal with Mets fans all the time.

The kid is doing well in High A and was named Baseball Prospectus' #38 prospect on the top 100 list. He's probably going to be a 1B/C hybrid much like VMart. He hit his first homer a couple nights ago and seems to be progressing well. Let's hope it translates into something in a couple of year's time, because Posada is probably going to decline sooner rather than later.

BTW Brackman pitched 6 innings last night with a final line of: 6IP 8K 2ER 6H.

Exciting stuff...if he and Betances and Mitchell progress like they have been doing, look for the Yankees to shoot back up in the farm rankings.

I am hesitant to say anything because people can get sensitive when I add my 2 cents at times.

So the only thing I will say is read Tyler's post. He didn't proclaim that this prospect was a Hall Of Famer. People are reading too much into it in my opinion.

One good week might translate to a hot streak with the big club before being sent back down when ARod comes back.

Tyler why delete your Op? Just because because SD is a pompous dick? Get a thicker skin dude, you're on the internet and you'll have to deal with Mets fans all the time.

The kid is doing well in High A and was named Baseball Prospectus' #38 prospect on the top 100 list. He's probably going to be a 1B/C hybrid much like VMart. He hit his first homer a couple nights ago and seems to be progressing well. Let's hope it translates into something in a couple of year's time, because Posada is probably going to decline sooner rather than later.

BTW Brackman pitched 6 innings last night with a final line of: 6IP 8K 2ER 6H.

Exciting stuff...if he and Betances and Mitchell progress like they have been doing, look for the Yankees to shoot back up in the farm rankings.

Smartest post in this thread

As opposed to you, who will make wisecracks about the looks of a poster (a woman) whom you have never met.

Gotcha. You certainly bring a lot to the betterment of society by your posts of revelation.

I love you Dierk.....I don't care that no one else does :cheers:

Max has pm'ed me, and for the sake of our more sensitive and homerific fans I post the following retraction:

I am magnificently sorry for my non-support of a 18 year old minor league has has finished A ball and has posted "beastly" numbers in the leagues that he has played to date.

Let's all hope that he can continue this trend and project the same numbers at AA some time soon. The Yanks may really have something in this kid, after all, he is young and has posted numbers at rookie and A ball.

That is something to be excited about. Let's keep root, root, rooting for the home teams.

Found something yesterday that I thought would be appropriate for this thread...

I'm currently moving house so while packing yesterday I got to some of my sports stuff that I haven't looked at in years. In there I found a program to a 1996 Tampa Yankees game I went to. Being that it was a minor league game, in it they had listed the top ten prospects in the yankee system.

They were listed as follows....

1) Ruben Rivera

2) Derek Jeter

3-10) A bunch of guys I've never heard of in my life

Found something yesterday that I thought would be appropriate for this thread...

I'm currently moving house so while packing yesterday I got to some of my sports stuff that I haven't looked at in years. In there I found a program to a 1996 Tampa Yankees game I went to. Being that it was a minor league game, in it they had listed the top ten prospects in the yankee system.

1) Ruben Rivera

2) Derek Jeter

If I had a nickle for every Met prospect that posted ungodly numbers in the minors, or stars in the minor leaguers that came back from unloading the Tom Seavers and Bobby Bonillas of the world, I would be a rich man.

I would then buy my own web site, and damn, everyone would respect my opinion and kiss my feet.

I am hesitant to say anything because people can get sensitive when I add my 2 cents at times.

So the only thing I will say is read Tyler's post. He didn't proclaim that this prospect was a Hall Of Famer. People are reading too much into it in my opinion.

I think the word was BEAST.:D

1) Ruben Rivera

2) Derek Jeter

That's funny... I was going to post Ruben Rivera's stats to underscore that strong performance in the low minors is not at all an indicator of future success.

However, a lack of performance in A ball opens the door for becoming an authority on professional athletes and their psyches on Internet message boards.

Max has pm'ed me, and for the sake of our more sensitive and homerific fans I post the following retraction:

I am magnificently sorry for my non-support of a 18 year old minor league has has finished A ball and has posted "beastly" numbers in the leagues that he has played to date.

Let's all hope that he can continue this trend and project the same numbers at AA some time soon. The Yanks may really have something in this kid, after all, he is young and has posted numbers at rookie and A ball.

That is something to be excited about. Let's keep root, root, rooting for the home teams.

People are going to take that seriously, so please let the record show that I did not PM SD. Although he did PM me, but I won't tell you what that said, lol.

Archived