Jason Campbell?

derp

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2009/04/rumor_new_york_jets_will_try_t.html

Rumor is that the Jets may try to acquire Campbell if the Redskins trade up to draft Mark Sanchez. Certainly makes sense for the Redskins since they can recoup a pick from their move up. For the Jets, he has the arm to fit the offense/Meadowlands and would actually bring starting experience as opposed to a rookie.

Compensation was not mentioned, but if I had to guess we'd give them 76. More would be a little too much for a QB they're trying to get rid of who doesn't fit their offense, less might not be enough for a potential starter with starting experience.

Not the greatest move, but I think we could do worse and there's some logic behind it (getting somebody in there with a little more experience). One downside is, unless I'm wrong, Campbell's deal expires after this year so we either extend him for borderline starter/backup money or he's a one year rental. I'd imagine he's on his rookie contract, not sure if he stays restricted if he gets traded though.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why not? He's not the best but we don't need the best.

He's mobile. I think he's also accurate, wasn't he the Qb that didn't throw a pick in his first six games or so? Now you're telling me he has a strong arm too which is a surprise to me, I didn't know that. If he's strong, accurate and mobile what are his weaknesses?

I'm frustrated because I think we're just about three pieces away from superbowl contention. If we could deal our 3rd rounder to Washington for Campbell and a 1 and next year's 2 to Arizona for Boldin then I would be extremely excited.

Then draft a DE in round 2, and in later rounds OL depth, a HB and/or another WR.

He's mobile. I think he's also accurate, wasn't he the Qb that didn't throw a pick in his first six games or so? Now you're telling me he has a strong arm too which is a surprise to me, I didn't know that. If he's strong, accurate and mobile what are his weaknesses?

I'm frustrated because I think we're just about three pieces away from superbowl contention. If we could deal our 3rd rounder to Washington for Campbell and a 1 and next year's 2 to Arizona for Boldin then I would be extremely excited.

Then draft a DE in round 2, and in later rounds OL depth, a HB and/or another WR.

HE didnt throw any picks until week 9 against Pitt when he had 2INTs and no TDs

He finished the year with 6 INTs... but only 13 TDs

I wouldnt mind the JETS grabbing him for the right price... I dont think they will though... I really think they are content with Clemens...

Yes, great idea lets trade for a QB that the Skins are so confident in they're going to trade up to get an unproven rookie instead of starting him. Here's a better idea, lets keep our picks and get as many players we can so we have a chance of getting someone good instead of taking other teams garbage.

Yes, great idea lets trade for a QB that the Skins are so confident in they're going to trade up to get an unproven rookie instead of starting him. Here's a better idea, lets keep our picks and get as many players we can so we have a chance of getting someone good instead of taking other teams garbage.

Jason Campbell is not garbage. Since entering the league, he had to learn about 52 different offenses. Not to mention Washingtons' Defense F'ing blows.

If we can get this guy maybe a 2nd and a 5th, I'll do it.

Jason Campbell is not garbage. Since entering the league, he had to learn about 52 different offenses. Not to mention Washingtons' Defense F'ing blows.

If we can get this guy maybe a 2nd and a 5th, I'll do it.

Yea, he's so good Washington wants to get rid of him. :hand:

I'd rather keep our picks then get a QB that has done **** and is going to have to learn another offense.

Shouldn't you be at school?

I've always big a huge fan of Campbell, his problem is he has been in seven different Offensive systems in seven years. If the guy can land and play in the same system for a couple of years in a row, he could be an absolute stud.

That being said I don't know if I'd want to give up a 3rd round pick for him unless we can work out a long term extension before hand.

But in the end I see us sticking with Clemens. :)

You guys do realize this is all conjecture. The blurb gives no source for the "rumor."

It's a "rumor" that may have started on a message board.

Outwardly, the Jets have done and said nothing to contradict their statement that they like the QBs they have and will have an open competition between Clemens and Ratliff for the job.

Something tells me that's exactly what's going to happen.

You guys do realize this is all conjecture. The blurb gives no source for the "rumor."

Outwardly, the Jets have done and said nothing to contradict their statement that they like the QBs they have and will have an open competition between Clemens and Ratliff for the job.

Whether it's true or not I'm surprised that so many posters want to give away picks for crappy players or unproven prospects.

Yea, he's so good Washington wants to get rid of him. :hand:

I'd rather keep our picks then get a QB that has done **** and is going to have to learn another offense.

Shouldn't you be at school?

I'm a grown man young fella. But you shouldn't talk about stuff you don't know. Stats do life sometimes. Campbell will be best for our team. Why? He doesn't turnover the ball that much.

Shouldn't you be in therapy?

Couldn't agree more. I want no part of Campbell.

This is exactly why I hate the week before the draft. Enough already. ::GoJets:

I'm a grown man young fella. But you shouldn't talk about stuff you don't know. Stats do life sometimes. Campbell will be best for our team. Why? He doesn't turnover the ball that much.

Campbell doesn't suck, but he also does nothing to excite.

Every time someone mentions a QB and people start coming up with excuses for him (he's been in too many systems, he was in the wrong system, his feet are too small) it's a pretty good bet you don't want him.

He doesn't turn the ball over, he also doesn't score or win much. So we'll have a boring 8-8 team. Yippee!!! Sign this beast! :rolleyes:

Thought you where young.

I don't feel like giving up drafts picks and then waiting two years to see if Campbell can play in our offense. I'd rather let our QBs fight it out and keep our draft picks.

I smoked a few hours ago, therapy is over.

Campbell doesn't suck, but he also does nothing to excite.

Every time someone mentions a QB and people start coming up with excuses for him (he's been in too many systems, he was in the wrong system, his feet are too small) it's a pretty good bet you don't want him.

He doesn't turn the ball over, he also doesn't score or win much. So we'll have a boring 8-8 team. Yippee!!! Sign this beast! :rolleyes:

Your not getting what I'm trying to say. We don't need a Tom Brady, or a Manning behind center.

We just need a game manager. A player who doesn't turnover the ball. We're going to depend on our defense and our running game the most. Without a player behind center, they'll just put 8 in the box. Campbell is not a great QB, but he's above average.

Thought you where young.

I don't feel like giving up drafts picks and then waiting two years to see if Campbell can play in our offense. I'd rather let our QBs fight it out and keep our draft picks.

I smoked a few hours ago, therapy is over.

Alright, I understand that. I'm just letting you know, don't expect to have the same running game that we had in 08.

No picks in 6 games was a product of an ULTRA CONSERVATIVE offense.

He's better than what we have,but the local high school QB may qualify for that.

Your not getting what I'm trying to say. We don't need a Tom Brady, or a Manning behind center.

We just need a game manager. A player who doesn't turnover the ball. We're going to depend on our defense and our running game the most. Without a player behind center, they'll just put 8 in the box. Campbell is not a great QB, but he's above average.

Sorry, you don't build a championship offense around Jason Campbell.

As per Rotoworld:

NFL Network's Steve Wyche reports that there is "chatter" the Jets would try to swing a trade for Jason Campbell on draft day if the Redskins move up to draft Matthew Stafford.

This is pretty much setting the stage for a potential three-team swap. The Skins are already short on picks and would likely have to dip into their 2010 draft class to move up the board. It could potentially also mean throwing Sanchez into the fire, which sounds foolish after only 16 college starts.

I know the bolded quote says Stafford, but it's an obvious typo on their part and should instead say Sanchez.

You also don't build championships around Kellen F'ing Clemens.

Campbell has more experience then KC or Rat but that doesn't mean any of them are championship caliber QBs. The biggest difference is we don't have to give up anything to keep KC or Rat and they both know our offense as well as the team.

You don't know that.

Then it's not fair to say not to build a championship around Jason Campbell. It's simple, defenses are NOT going to respect any of our QBs. However, they WILL respect Jason Campbell.

Jason Campbell will even be a better QB with a better defense.

Campbell has more experience then KC or Rat but that doesn't mean any of them are championship caliber QBs. The biggest difference is we don't have to give up anything to keep KC or Rat and they both know our offense as well as the team.

But Clemens isn't any good. He had his shot before and he was unsuccessful. He's not good. It's really that simple.

But Clemens isn't any good. He had his shot before and he was unsuccessful. He's not good. It's really that simple.

I didn't mind what I seen from KC in the few games he played. He's young and wasn't playing with the best coach or WRs. I want to see what he can do this year as well as Rat. I guess I'm just hoping we don't need to get a new QB because then we have to wait another few years to see what happens.

Then it's not fair to say not to build a championship around Jason Campbell. It's simple, defenses are NOT going to respect any of our QBs. However, they WILL respect Jason Campbell.

Jason Campbell will even be a better QB with a better defense.

It absolutely is.

We know for a fact that Campbell is nothing more than an average QB in the NFL.

We have no clue what Ratliff might or might not be and as far as Clemens is concerned we only saw him play 8 real games and that was behind an abysmally bad offensive line with no running game. So we also have no clue what Clemens is capable of.

Personally, I'd rather take my chances with the unknown now and see what Clemens or Ratliff might bring to the table and if they don't work out, focus on positioning ourselves to draft Sam Bradford next year than signing a nothing like Campbell to a long term deal now (because we'd have to if we made that trade because he's only got a year left on his deal.)

I didn't mind what I seen from KC in the few games he played. He's young and wasn't playing with the best coach or WRs. I want to see what he can do this year as well as Rat. I guess I'm just hoping we don't need to get a new QB because then we have to wait another few years to see what happens.

I think this guy is used to adjusting to offenses quickly. I'm not a Clemens fan. If Ratty would start, I think I'll feel more comfortable.

It absolutely is.

We know for a fact that Campbell is nothing more than an average QB in the NFL.

We have no clue what Ratliff might or might not be and as far as Clemens is concerned we only saw him play 8 real games and that was behind an abysmally bad offensive line with no running game. So we also have no clue what Clemens is capable of.

Personally, I'd rather take my chances with the unknown now and see what Clemens or Ratliff might bring to the table and if they don't work out, focus on positioning ourselves to draft Sam Bradford next year than signing a nothing like Campbell to a long term deal now (because we'd have to if we made that trade because he's only got a year left on his deal.)

I won't mind Ratty starting. I just don't want to see Clemens behind center.

Archived