Foreign Languages

Mavrik

So I'm currently in the midst of acquiring german since I moved to Berlin in late November. I've progressed a bit, but still have a while before I'll be conversational. It's not the easiest language to learn, but luckily it has much more similarities to English.

We have any multi-lingual speakers here? Gob and bob know a bit of german themselves. But I'm curious to see if anything else is spoken here.

I used to be pretty fluent in Italian. I struggle with it now...but it's amazing how it comes back when a relative comes to visit from Italy. Before you know it, I can have a conversation in Italian again. And then, when they leave, so do my abilities. Weird.

I used to be pretty fluent in Italian. I struggle with it now...but it's amazing how it comes back when a relative comes to visit from Italy. Before you know it, I can have a conversation in Italian again. And then, when they leave, so do my abilities. Weird.

My girlfriend has some relatives who live in Turin who we visited recently. I was surprised at how close Spanish and Italian are language wise. My girlfriend would talk to them in Spanish and they would respond back in Italian, and had a reasonably easy time understanding each other.

My girlfriend has some relatives who live in Turin who we visited recently. I was surprised at how close Spanish and Italian are language wise. My girlfriend would talk to them in Spanish and they would respond back in Italian, and had a reasonably easy time understanding each other.

I was just in Turin (that's Torino of Winter Olympic fame for all of you boarish Americans ;) )

Nearly everyone spoke English although I always asked people "Parlo Italiano?" before starting to speak English. One of my pet peeves is people who just start asking random people in foreign countries questions in English. What would you do if someone came up to you in the middle of the street and started speaking Italian to you? I doubt it would put you in a helpful mood.

At least learn to ask "do you speak English?" in the local language. Yes, nearly everyone speaks it so you may think it's unnecessary but it will get you better service 100% of the time.

Turin is also close to the French border so I met some people who spoke French and humored my poor French skills.

PS: Turin prides itself on being "the Pittsburgh of Italy" like that's a good thing. :rl:

Edited by johnny green balls

So I'm currently in the midst of acquiring german since I moved to Berlin in late November. I've progressed a bit, but still have a while before I'll be conversational. It's not the easiest language to learn, but luckily it has much more similarities to English.

We have any multi-lingual speakers here? Gob and bob know a bit of german themselves. But I'm curious to see if anything else is spoken here.

Best of luck.

Get a German girlfriend or immerse yourself into pure German situations.

I took about three semesters of German. By the end, I was ok at reading and deducting what an article was about, but comprehending actual German speech was difficult. I would understand one out of 4-5 words.

Best of luck.

Get a German girlfriend or immerse yourself into pure German situations.

I took about three semesters of German. By the end, I was ok at reading and deducting what an article was about, but comprehending actual German speech was difficult. I would understand one out of 4-5 words.

Comprehension of speech is actually the part I'm having the most difficulty with. My vocabulary and my ability speaking wise, I've noticed, have been getting a lot better lately, but it is still difficult to pick up on a lot of what Germans say because of the accent. Berliners make it a little easier because they tend to be a little more lazy with their german. They say "ick" instead of stressing the "ich". I suppose if I was Bavaria, I would be getting nowhere fast. :lol: