"Setting the Jets back X amount of years.."

I'm curious..as I've been looking over the board here (I didn't get to watch the draft in Berlin) that I see so many people claiming that the drafting of Mark Sanchez has set the team back anywhere from 5 to 10 years.

Can someone explain to me how Kellen Clemens and Brett Ratliff had this squad a year or two away from Super Bowl contention? And how now somehow drafting Sanchez has f'ed this team up royally?

In my Honest opinion, you can please some people some of the time, but you cant please all of the people all of the time. no matter what we would have done there would have been a faction of fans wanting to lynch the front office.

I dont believe that we were set back. Kenyon Coleman was nothing on the DL this move would allow gholston to slide back to his drafted position of DE from time to time and split with former Raven Marques Douglas. ratliff had potential but he is no franchise QB, and Abram Elam would not have seen the field this year because of the Leonhard addition. we cleared a ton of cap space and gave up a 2nd round pick ALONE for a franchise QB. thats a hell of a deal in my book.

I'm curious..as I've been looking over the board here (I didn't get to watch the draft in Berlin) that I see so many people claiming that the drafting of Mark Sanchez has set the team back anywhere from 5 to 10 years.

Can someone explain to me how Kellen Clemens and Brett Ratliff had this squad a year or two away from Super Bowl contention? And how now somehow drafting Sanchez has f'ed this team up royally?

It's the bizarre "woe-is-me" sense of inferiority that some Jets fans have.

In my Honest opinion, you can please some people some of the time, but you cant please all of the people all of the time. no matter what we would have done there would have been a faction of fans wanting to lynch the front office.

I dont believe that we were set back. Kenyon Coleman was nothing on the DL this move would allow gholston to slide back to his drafted position of DE from time to time and split with former Raven Marques Douglas. ratliff had potential but he is no franchise QB, and Abram Elam would not have seen the field this year because of the Leonhard addition. we cleared a ton of cap space and gave up a 2nd round pick ALONE for a franchise QB. thats a hell of a deal in my book.

Agreed. I don't get it either. When I saw that we moved up to 5 I was thinking we probably paid way too much to do it. When I saw what we gave up I was shocked. Even my wife, who doesn't know all that much said the exact same thing. Think about what we gave up to get D. Rob.

Yeah I don't get it either.

For the first time since the Tenn game I am something other than thoroughly disgusted with this team. I actually see hope now.

I'm sure that Sanchez will take his lumps early. Most young QB's do. But I can see Ryan handling him the same way Flacco was handled last year by the Ravens.

Don't make mistakes, let the defense carry you till you get used to the pro game. Which may not take as long as people think since he has already worked a pro style offense at USC.

The guy can make throws and he is a leader who will take this offense by the throat and make it his.

Could very well be the Jets best QB since O'Brien in his prime.

I didn't think the Jets would have a shot getting Sanchez. Well I was wrong and boy I am glad I was.

There is hope once again in Jets Land.

Agreed. I don't get it either. When I saw that we moved up to 5 I was thinking we probably paid way too much to do it. When I saw what we gave up I was shocked. Even my wife, who doesn't know all that much said the exact same thing. Think about what we gave up to get D. Rob.

And how do we know he won't be the QB version of D. Rob?

Look, I hope to God it works out. But we still have no one to stretch the field, which means that we're not going to score many points. KC had a much better chance to be good than any of the current crop of wide receivers or any receiver left in the draft. He got 6 starts, we have no idea what he's got and we should have taken the time to find out. If he truly sucked, we'd have had a high draft pick and the assets to go get Bradford next year.

Unless you expect Sanchez to be the starter from the start of this year and produce immediately, I don't think this is good. By the time he gets the learning under his belt, there will be a number of veterans who will be done, notably Jenkins and Faneca. Going with KC and getting Maclin or a different speed guy would have made them contenders faster, IMHO.

And how do we know he won't be the QB version of D. Rob?

Look, I hope to God it works out. But we still have no one to stretch the field, which means that we're not going to score many points. KC had a much better chance to be good than any of the current crop of wide receivers or any receiver left in the draft. He got 6 starts, we have no idea what he's got and we should have taken the time to find out. If he truly sucked, we'd have had a high draft pick and the assets to go get Bradford next year.

Unless you expect Sanchez to be the starter from the start of this year and produce immediately, I don't think this is good. By the time he gets the learning under his belt, there will be a number of veterans who will be done, notably Jenkins and Faneca. Going with KC and getting Maclin or a different speed guy would have made them contenders faster, IMHO.

Enough with this "we dont know what kellens got" crap... this team has had YEARS to evaluate him in house... they do not like him... they do not think he can be the guy... time to get over that bull****.

Sanchez is the new starting QB of the NYJ effective immediately, this is not a situation where there is a veteran QB who he will sit behind... there is a 2nd round bust at QB who will back him up.

• Upvote 1
Enough with this "we dont know what kellens got" crap... this team has had YEARS to evaluate him in house... they do not like him... they do not think he can be the guy... time to get over that bull****.

Sanchez is the new starting QB of the NYJ effective immediately, this is not a situation where there is a veteran QB who he will sit behind... there is a 2nd round bust at QB who will back him up.

:D The truth hurts. Some people.

Good question.

On draft day there exists an innate feeling by fans that you want the team to build through the draft - that is the way your suppose to build a team - we always hear this. Therefore, on draft day we want to see draft picks - new blood (also for entertainment value). We are told that is the way to build a winner. We look at NE, Pitt, the Giants (except for the Manning trade) seemingly do that. NE rocked this year with regard to trading down/up and getting many good picks - how that translates to the NFL is another story. We see NE do this and Pitt to a lesser extent and it makes us feel uneasy.

If the Jets stayed put this year it seems we could have traded down a couple of times (as per Cleveland)- and landed a good 1st and 2nd round prospect plus probably gotten a couple of 5th round choices out of the deal.

In essence the Jets could have had Harvin, a RB ( as an example) with the two first round picks. Plus they may have had two extra 5th round choices plus still have had depth with Coleman and Elam. Instead a significant amount of eggs have been put into one basket for ONE guy. Can the Jets afford to do this? If he busts or get injured the Jets are in trouble. Meanwhile the Pats and Steelers just keep building.

The Jets could have been: Clemens, Harvin, RB plus whoever we pick today plus 2 5th round picks plus Coleman, Elam, and Ratliff. I personally would have liked to have gone this way. I think Clemens is more than servicable and would have been fine with a good defence supporting him.

Edited by Cyberjet

Its not all just about the Sanchez deal. Its everything that this team has done this offseason.

Sanchez might be a good QB in a year or two and we might be lucky, but we didnt address any immediate needs for this season. Thats whats scary. They were building around a running game and a strong defense. With that you dont need a franchise QB. You need WR's you can throw to when necessary and blockers. We're still missing those. In a few years Sanchez might be perfect for us, but does nothing for the short term.

On draft day there exists an innate feeling by fans that you want the team to build through the draft - that is the way your suppose to build a team - we always hear this. Therefore, on draft day we want to see draft picks - new blood (also for entertainment value). We are told that is the way to build a winner. We look at NE, Pitt, the Giants (except for the Manning trade) seemingly do that. NE rocked this year with regard to trading down/up and getting many good picks - how that translates to the NFL is another story. We see NE do this and Pitt to a lesser extent and it makes us feel uneasy.

If the Jets stayed put this year it seems we could have traded down a couple of times (as per Cleveland)- and landed a good 1st and 2nd round prospect plus probably gotten a couple of 5th round choices out of the deal.

In essence the Jets could have had Harvin, a RB ( as an example) with the two first round picks. Plus they may have had two extra 5th round choices plus still have had depth with Coleman and Elam. Instead a significant amount of eggs have been put into one basket for ONE guy. Can the Jets afford to do this? If he busts or get injured the Jets are in trouble. Meanwhile the Pats and Steelers just keep building.

The Jets could have been: Clemens, Harvin, RB plus whoever we pick today plus 2 5th round picks plus Coleman, Elam, and Ratliff. I personally would have liked to have gone this way. I think Clemens is more than servicable and would have been fine with a good defence supporting him.

Solid post. The loss of depth and competition in camp will hurt us this year. Elam and Ratt, fewer picks, it puts us behind teams like the Pats and Dolphins in this respect. Drafting is gambling, and having more numbers in the lottery is obviously better than having few. Still, if Sanchez is franchise-caliber, then the pick will have been worth it two to three seasons from now. Patience will be the by-word in judging this transaction (not just the player.) If Josh Freeman turns out to be a stud--then we've stumbled.

Its not all just about the Sanchez deal. Its everything that this team has done this offseason.

Sanchez might be a good QB in a year or two and we might be lucky, but we didnt address any immediate needs for this season. Thats whats scary. They were building around a running game and a strong defense. With that you dont need a franchise QB. You need WR's you can throw to when necessary and blockers. We're still missing those. In a few years Sanchez might be perfect for us, but does nothing for the short term.

It's not out of the realm of possibilities that Sanchez could make the WRs we have better than they have been. That's what a good QB does, he makes those around him better. We have no idea what Stuckey and CLowney can do; i'm not banking on them owning the league, but they can contribute.

The Ravens, a team that people compare us a lot to, and with good reason, did not have that much better of a receiving core that what we have right now.

Solid post. The loss of depth and competition in camp will hurt us this year. Elam and Ratt, fewer picks, it puts us behind teams like the Pats and Dolphins in this respect. Drafting is gambling, and having more numbers in the lottery is obviously better than having few. Still, if Sanchez is franchise-caliber, then the pick will have been worth it two to three seasons from now. Patience will be the by-word in judging this transaction (not just the player.) If Josh Freeman turns out to be a stud--then we've stumbled.

New England does not need a starting QB. New England also got a high 2nd round pick for a backup QB they found in round 7 a few years ago. Had Brady not gotten injured this year, Cassel's value would still be a 7th round pick today.

It's easy to point to a team's draft strategy in jealousy when that team has a stud QB and we do not.

Let's see how many of these draft picks work out for NE before their strategy even shows to be anything but awful. They've drafted some really sucky guys in the first 3 rounds.

all fine and dandy. I was hoping for a trade down myself

but

if you feel you have a franchise QB in your sights, you go get him. This isn't david carr where he has nothing around him. Sanchez has a TON of talent arund him, and many people have said he is the most ready to start in '09 of all the QB's

the jets "should have could have" had leinart or cutler, but turtled on draft day.

sometimes getting the franchise QB means sucking at the right time

the colts and cowboys come to mind

is sanchez stayed in school, he is next years #1 pick.

we just picked him a little bit before he ripened

I've been a fan since '82, and I've been through all the misery, roger vick, mitchell, brady, lageman, jones, cadigan, on and on

and bubby brister and browning nagle and rick mirer and bollinger and tom tupa :rolleyes:

I'm excited the jets did the bold thing, waiting for a franchise QB to be sitting on the board when you pick hasn't worked for them since 1968

It's not out of the realm of possibilities that Sanchez could make the WRs we have better than they have been. That's what a good QB does, he makes those around him better. We have no idea what Stuckey and CLowney can do; i'm not banking on them owning the league, but they can contribute.

The Ravens, a team that people compare us a lot to, and with good reason, did not have that much better of a receiving core that what we have right now.

I hope so. For my sanity we need Sanchez to be a better than good QB.

New England does not need a starting QB. New England also got a high 2nd round pick for a backup QB they found in round 7 a few years ago. Had Brady not gotten injured this year, Cassel's value would still be a 7th round pick today.

It's easy to point to a team's draft strategy in jealousy when that team has a stud QB and we do not.

Let's see how many of these draft picks work out for NE before their strategy even shows to be anything but awful. They've drafted some really sucky guys in the first 3 rounds.

Again, this may work out over time--I prefer more picks, more competition, more possibilities, but if Sanchez works out and plays as well as we're hoping, than the loss of depth this year will have been worth it. The problem is, if sanchez isn't as good as we'd hoped. In that case, betting our house on a single horse will have been foolhardy. This is neither a good nor bad transaction thus far. Merely a big risk/big possible reward proposition. i'm not against it.

Again, this may work out over time--I prefer more picks, more competition, more possibilities, but if Sanchez works out and plays as well as we're hoping, than the loss of depth this year will have been worth it. The problem is, if sanchez isn't as good as we'd hoped. In that case, betting our house on a single horse will have been foolhardy. This is neither a good nor bad transaction thus far. Merely a big risk/big possible reward proposition. i'm not against it.

I prefer more picks in a strong draft, which this is not. In a relatively weak draft, I like trading up for particular players (like the Jets did in '07 with Revis & Harris). And, actually, like the Pats did in 2007 as well. They took the one guy they wanted in Meriweather, passed on their 2nd/3rd round picks, traded their 4th for Randy Moss (total steal), and a few other guys that didn't make their roster.

NE drafted 10 guys in what was thought to be a very strong & deep 2006 draft. What do they have to show for it today? A kicker & a bunch of garbage.

I see what your saying, but say we do draft a WR. Even if we get someone like a Harvin or a Crabtree, does it really matter? Yes, we may, and I say may, have addressed the WR situation, but all that means now that we haven't addressed our QB situation, something the Jets seem to have every single year. It doesn't matter who you have as receivers if you do not have a QB capable of getting them the ball. Putting all of your offensive eggs into the run game runs the risk of us looking like another one-dimensional offense. Rookie WRs aren't destined to make immediate contributions, and if we're fine with that, then why aren't we fine with a rookie QB? We would have had to address that need next year anyway, and in the event we would have drafted a QB next year, that just means that's another year or two we are conceding as development years.

The Jets were in a precarious position with two QBs who could not effectively become a franchise QB. I'm not saying Sanchez is going to be the second coming of Namath, but I don't necessarily have a problem with the pick. Teams that win the Super Bowl with Trent Dilfer types are still the exception rather than the rule.

I see what your saying, but say we do draft a WR. Even if we get someone like a Harvin or a Crabtree, does it really matter? Yes, we may, and I say may, have addressed the WR situation, but all that means now that we haven't addressed our QB situation, something the Jets seem to have every single year. It doesn't matter who you have as receivers if you do not have a QB capable of getting them the ball. Putting all of your offensive eggs into the run game runs the risk of us looking like another one-dimensional offense. Rookie WRs aren't destined to make immediate contributions, and if we're fine with that, then why aren't we fine with a rookie QB? We would have had to address that need next year anyway, and in the event we would have drafted a QB next year, that just means that's another year or two we are conceding as development years.

The Jets were in a precarious position with two QBs who could not effectively become a franchise QB. I'm not saying Sanchez is going to be the second coming of Namath, but I don't necessarily have a problem with the pick. Teams that win the Super Bowl with Trent Dilfer types are still the exception rather than the rule.

I felt we should have done more before the draft to get a WR and QB... drafting a WR in the 1st round would have been dumb. They take too long to develop.

But since our FO put us into this position, they had to go and get Sanchez. I dont have a problem with Sanchez, just the entire process they went through that led up to us having to get him... and it was a great deal... probably the only thing that kept me from being more pissed off.

I felt we should have done more before the draft to get a WR and QB... drafting a WR in the 1st round would have been dumb. They take too long to develop.

But since our FO put us into this position, they had to go and get Sanchez. I dont have a problem with Sanchez, just the entire process they went through that led up to us having to get him... and it was a great deal... probably the only thing that kept me from being more pissed off.

Agreed. Who knows. Maybe they're still in play for Boldin or Edwards. But if we do get them, we'll probably have an even more barren 2010 draft than we had this year.