Sanchez's Arm Strength

JMJ

Sanchez was on with Michael Kay yesterday and Michael asked him about his competitiveness. Sanchez gave the answer you would expect, the ol', "I'm competitive in everything I do, yadda yadda."

So Michael Kay says to him, "The reason I ask you is because of a story I was told, you tell me if it's true.". Kay then tells a story that the Jets worked out Sanchez after they had already worked out Freeman. During the workout the Jets tested Freeman's deep arm and he threw the ball 63 yards. When the Jets were working out Sanchez they had him do the same test and told him that Freeman had thrown it 63 yards when they worked him out ...

Sanchez threw it 68.

Mark laughed and then confirmed the story was true. Now I know there is a lot more to arm strength then just being able to heave a long ball, but everyone goes gaga over Freeman's arm. This story at least helps put things into perspective that while Freeman might have a better arm overall (maybe even debatable), it isn't like it is night and day from him to Sanchez. And Sanchez certainly does not have a "weak arm."

Just thought I'd share. Thought it was interesting.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sanchez was on with Michael Kay yesterday and Michael asked him about his competitiveness. Sanchez gave the answer you would expect, the ol', "I'm competitive in everything I do, yadda yadda."

So Michael Kay says to him, "The reason I ask you is because of a story I was told, you tell me if it's true.". Kay then tells a story that the Jets worked out Sanchez after they had already worked out Freeman. During the workout the Jets tested Freeman's deep arm and he threw the ball 63 yards. When the Jets were working out Sanchez they had him do the same test and told him that Freeman had thrown it 63 yards when they worked him out ...

Sanchez threw it 68.

He confirmed the story was true. Now I know there is a lot more to arm strength then just being able to heave a long ball, but everyone goes gaga over Freeman's arm. This story at least helps put things into perspective that while Freeman might have a better arm overall (maybe even debatable), it isn't like it is night and day from him to Sanchez. And Sanchez certainly does not have a "weak arm."

I remember how Favre's arm strength was such a factor for us last year so I'm psyched, especially with Jerricho "The Missle"! Well at least we know Sanchez can pull a Doug Flutie to Beat Miami if we need him to.

He's a good looking media superstar, that's what the Jets crave! That's what Favre was about! Woody wants to be the talk of the town. Fine.Win.

I remember seeing somewhere that Dirty couldnt make all the throws and then I read a couple of of time (Johnny Hector posted an article) about Dirty being able to make all the throws.

Who knows. The footage from his pro day surely reflects that he does have good arm strength. Arm strength isnt his best attribute, its his accuracy. As long as he doesnt throw balloons in the Meadowland winds...I'm good with it.

Sanchez threw it 68.

Mark laughed and then confirmed the story was true. Now I know there is a lot more to arm strength then just being able to heave a long ball, but everyone goes gaga over Freeman's arm. This story at least helps put things into perspective that while Freeman might have a better arm overall (maybe even debatable), it isn't like it is night and day from him to Sanchez. And Sanchez certainly does not have a "weak arm."

Throwing a rainbow deep doesn't have much to do with functional armstrength, which is about velocity more then distance...

Throwing a rainbow deep doesn't have much to do with functional armstrength, which is about velocity more then distance...

Dude,

You're like TX on JI right now (not oveall, but on this subject because I posted it on both boards).

Do you really think you need to tell me that?

Dude,

You're like TX on JI right now (not oveall, but on this subject because I posted it on both boards).

CTM assumes that nobody knows anything about Football. So he throws out profound statements like the one above. In his eyes, you are lucky that he is even reading your post. But there is a very high chance he didnt read anything further than the title.

Oh yeah, contrary to popular belief, CTM is not a Dude.

CTM assumes that nobody knows anything about Football. So he throws out profound statements like the one above. In his eyes, you are lucky that he is even reading your post. But there is a very high chance he didnt read anything further than the title.

Oh yeah, contrary to popular belief, CTM is not a Dude.

Anti-CTM-Militia? ACTMM?

I swear, he said it during the draft.

Chad's arm looked good in college.

HELLO! Of course it did.

That was before TWO freakin' shoulder surgeries.

Chad had an adequate NFL arm coming out of college. The notion that Chad had a noodle BEFORE his first shoulder surgery is way off.

HELLO! Of course it did.

That was before TWO freakin' shoulder surgeries.

Chad had an adequate NFL arm coming out of college. The notion that Chad had a noodle BEFORE his first shoulder surgery is way off.

ummm during Raiders playoff game..he was healthy...His arm suked

he fooled most of us..with his catchable ball..truth is that many Ints were

dropped in redzone...during his healthy run

And, just to add: besides Sanchez having a stronger arm than pre-shoulder surgeries Chad, Sanchez also has way bigger hands.

Hand size doesn't add velocity, but it does aid in ball control and a tighter spiral to fight against the wind.

ummm during Raiders playoff game..he was healthy...His arm suked

he fooled most of us..with his catchable ball..truth is that many Ints were

dropped in redzone...during his healthy run

Ummm, during Raiders playoff game he got hurt. Watch the game again and read the articles.

When Chad had his first shoulder surgery the doctors found a lot of scar tissue on the shoulder. That means, he had a pre-injury shoulder condition that had healed. Those are from reports I read.

I'm not a Chad fan, but there is a lot of re-writing of history going on here.

Ummm, during Raiders playoff game he got hurt. Watch the game again and read the articles.

When Chad had his first shoulder surgery the doctors found a lot of scar tissue on the shoulder. That means, he had a pre-injury shoulder condition that had healed. Those are from reports I read.

I'm not a Chad fan, but there is a lot of re-writing of history going on here.

he never threw the deep out well...watch the tapes

he never threw the deep out well...watch the tapes

Don't need to watch the tapes because I know that. Chad had (past tense) an adequate NFL arm. Sanchez has a good NFL arm.

Why are you debating this?

I swear, he said it during the draft.

Chad's arm looked good in college.

viUJ48rCJ38

I'm assuming he meant prior to the surgeries. IMO it looks a little stronger, but they both have great accuracy.

Anti-CTM-Militia? ACTMM?

Sign me up. He is the king of douchebaggery.

Don't need to watch the tapes because I know that. Chad had (past tense) an adequate NFL arm. Sanchez has a good NFL arm.

Why are you debating this?

just saying that Chad could never throw the deep out...not in college

never

Sanchez will be a star...and no where close to Chadlike

Posted at 9:11 AM on JI:

Throwing the ball deep has absolutely nothing to do with arm strength in the NFL.

Posted at 9:46 AM on JN:

TX has taken over CTM's account.

And, just to add: besides Sanchez having a stronger arm than pre-shoulder surgeries Chad, Sanchez also has way bigger hands.

Hand size doesn't add velocity, but it does aid in ball control and a tighter spiral to fight against the wind.

Another thing to add, Sanchez has slightly bigger hands than Favre:

Sanchez -- 10 1/2" ("6'2 1/8")

Favre -- 10 3/8" (6'2")

Stafford -- 10" (6'2 3/8")

Freeman -- 10" (tiny hands for someone 6'5")

Dude,

Then what's the point of posting it if you know it doesn't have anything to do with the topic of conversation? (which is stupid, lets wait and see what his arm looks like before we worry that it's a problem)

If I'm posting like Tx, your posting like JR128

Archived