Sanchez's Arm Strength

JMJ

Freeman -- 10" (tiny hands for someone 6'5")

I wouldn't say that 10" is "tiny" at his size... Jason Campbell only measured 9 1/8" and Culpepper only has 9" hands (though his are somewhat webbed).

While I'm not saying it doesn't make any difference, let's not get too crazy gushing over Sanchez's big hands (well, except for Bronzey... and Max). Jim Druckenmiller (11") and Heath Schuler (10 5/8") had huge mitts and that didn't prevent them from becoming huge busts.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
CTM assumes that nobody knows anything about Football. So he throws out profound statements like the one above. In his eyes, you are lucky that he is even reading your post. But there is a very high chance he didnt read anything further than the title.

Oh yeah, contrary to popular belief, CTM is not a Dude.

What's the matter, not finding a scouting report when searching under "matt sanchez?"

I have regularly said that his arm strength looks fine to me and have defend it several times on JI. My point was that this thread is pointless..

HELLO! Of course it did.

That was before TWO freakin' shoulder surgeries.

Chad had an adequate NFL arm coming out of college. The notion that Chad had a noodle BEFORE his first shoulder surgery is way off.

It's not off imo..

Chad was a noodle arm in 2002 and his biggest problem was 1) slow delivery and 2) trying to place balls rather then just throw it and trust his arm..

Sanchez's delivery is much faster and his ball has more velocity to my eyes.

I wouldn't say that 10" is "tiny" at his size... Jason Campbell only measured 9 1/8" and Culpepper only has 9" hands (though his are somewhat webbed).

While I'm not saying it doesn't make any difference, let's not get too crazy gushing over Sanchez's big hands (well, except for Bronzey... and Max). Jim Druckenmiller (11") and Heath Schuler (10 5/8") had huge mitts and that didn't prevent them from becoming huge busts.

It's a positive though, no?

Big hands > little hands when it comes to playing QB

It's a positive though, no?

Big hands > little hands when it comes to playing QB

Of course it's a positive... however, it's not a leading indicator of future NFL success, but instead one of thousands of factors.

I'm not a Sanchez detractor by any means, however:

Small hands and 30+ college starts >>>> Big hands and 16 college starts

Just trying to kill some of the euphoria going on around here. :P

Quite frankly I dont' know how to feel about Sanchez... but truthfully I dont' think he's going to succeed here until we have someone to threaten secondaries downfield. As long as we don't have that we will be stuck in the same situation we were in with Favre, Pennington. We have great route runners over the middle but we need that threat, it's only going to help a young QB.

Of course it's a positive... however, it's not a leading indicator of future NFL success, but instead one of thousands of factors.

I'm not a Sanchez detractor by any means, however:

Small hands and 30+ college starts >>>> Big hands and 16 college starts

Just trying to kill some of the euphoria going on around here. :P

It's a risky pick, but there's a lot to like about him. I just really hope he sits for a year, puts on some mass and allow us to go out and get him a true threat on the outside..

I think the arm strength paranoia is PTSD, I really don't see any reason to worry. The QB I'd take today if starting a franchise is Phillip Rivers, and he certainly doesn't have a cannon..

Then what's the point of posting it if you know it doesn't have anything to do with the topic of conversation? (which is stupid, lets wait and see what his arm looks like before we worry that it's a problem)

If I'm posting like Tx, your posting like JR128

What? The conversation that YOU created?

I just posted the story because as I said, and I quote, "I thought it was an interesting story. Thought I'd share."

That is it! That is why I posted it! I never intended on it becoming a debate about what is more important in regards to arm strength, length vs. velocity. You tried to take it there with your worthless statement since I already said in the original post, and again I quote, " Now I know there is a lot more to arm strength then just being able to heave a long ball ..."

Get a grip homey.

It's a risky pick, but there's a lot to like about him. I just really hope he sits for a year, puts on some mass and allow us to go out and get him a true threat on the outside..

I think the arm strength paranoia is PTSD, I really don't see any reason to worry. Imo, the QB I'd take today if starting a franchise is Phillip Rivers, and he certainly doesn't have a cannon..

Don't get me wrong, I love the pick, the cajones it took to make the move, and the ridiculously low cost it took to get there.

I am also terrified that he starts from Day 1 and doesn't have a strong enough supporting cast and/or isn't ready, which could have serious long-term effects on his development.

Best case scenario for the Jets is that the light goes off in Clemens' head this offseason, though I'm not holding my breath.

Don't get me wrong, I love the pick, the cajones it took to make the move, and the ridiculously low cost it took to get there.

I am also terrified that he starts from Day 1 and doesn't have a strong enough supporting cast and/or isn't ready, which could have serious long-term effects on his development.

Best case scenario for the Jets is that the light goes off in Clemens' head this offseason, though I'm not holding my breath.

+10000000000000000000

That's what I'm afraid of. I know that Ryan feels confident since he watched Flacco do it last year but that team was a perfect storm and they had great long threats.

Take Matt Cassel for example, I don't think Sanchez needs to sit that long, but if he sits, learns the system, and works I think he'll be more ready to step in and handle it then if he were to step in from the first day. Did Leinart start right away?

I think the arm strength paranoia is PTSD, I really don't see any reason to worry. The QB I'd take today if starting a franchise is Phillip Rivers, and he certainly doesn't have a cannon..

Excellent point.

LOL at PTSD because it's so true.

I do think Sanchez starts from day 1, though. I think the Jets want to put him in a Ryan/Flacco/Brady circa 2001 situation. Not saying it's the right move, but just a gut feeling.

Rivers best attribute is his toughness. I've read that originally the players didn't like him and the majority wanted to keep Brees. They warmed up to him big time when he played through his bad knee 2 years ago.

Eli Manning, QB, Mississippi

Height: 6:04.1 Weight: 218

Hand Size: 9"

Ben Roethlisberger, QB, Miami, Ohio

Height: 6:04.6 Weight: 242

Hand Size: 9 7/8"

These guy will never win a Super Bowl with those "tiny" hands!!!

You know I never said that, JH, so why even imply it? That's Chowd-troll tactic.

10" hands for a 6'5" man is small. I was relatively speaking.

Incidently, one of Eli's knocks is his hand size. That's why he is prone to throw the wabbler and he has poor accuracy. Just an FYI.

What? The conversation that YOU created?

I just posted the story because as I said, and I quote, "I thought it was an interesting story. Thought I'd share."

That is it! That is why I posted it! I never intended on it becoming a debate about what is more important in regards to arm strength, length vs. velocity. You tried to take it there with your worthless statement since I already said in the original post, and again I quote, " Now I know there is a lot more to arm strength then just being able to heave a long ball ..."

Get a grip homey.

I don't get the point of the thread. In your opening post you admit it's not really related to what people are concerned about, yet you posted it anyway with the title "sanchez arm strength"

Isn't there enough "Sanchez arm strength" and "ZOMG! is Sanchez noodle 2.0" threads to go around today? It's boring

This isn't me being negative as I've been in several threads saying it's not a problem, I was saying your thread sux :D

on edit: Actually your thread title sucks :D

+10000000000000000000

That's what I'm afraid of. I know that Ryan feels confident since he watched Flacco do it last year but that team was a perfect storm and they had great long threats.

Take Matt Cassel for example, I don't think Sanchez needs to sit that long, but if he sits, learns the system, and works I think he'll be more ready to step in and handle it then if he were to step in from the first day. Did Leinart start right away?

Leinart Blows and Jet OL is better than average

He needs to go thru learning pains...this year..next year we win

Excellent point.

LOL at PTSD because it's so true.

I do think Sanchez starts from day 1, though. I think the Jets want to put him in a Ryan/Flacco/Brady circa 2001 situation. Not saying it's the right move, but just a gut feeling.

Rivers best attribute is his toughness. I've read that originally the players didn't like him and the majority wanted to keep Brees. They warmed up to him big time when he played through his bad knee 2 years ago.

I get the feeling he'll start as well, which is why I've been crying about getting Edwards or Boldin in here ;)

I don't get the point of the thread. In your opening post you admit it's not really related to what people are concerned about, yet you posted it anyway with the title "sanchez arm strength"

Isn't there enough "Sanchez arm strength" and "ZOMG! is Sanchez noodle 2.0" threads to go around today? It's boring

This isn't me being negative as I've been in several threads saying it's not a problem, I was saying your thread sux :D

Throwing the deep ball is certainly a function of arm strength. You don't throw a ball 68 yards without arm strength. Pennington has a weak arm thus can not throw it 68 yards. Elway had a cannon arm, he could throw it further than 68 yards.

How far you can throw the ball is CERTAINLY part of arm strength. Just because it is not the most important part of arm strength in relation to success on a football field doesn't mean that it is not part of arm strength all together.

I get the feeling he'll start as well, which is why I've been crying about getting Edwards or Boldin in here ;)

I'm torn about Edwards/Boldin because I don't want to have to give up a 1st next year. Edwards is in the final year of his contract, so the compensation may be less. Who knows.

The reason I don't want to give up a 1st because (forward thinking, perhaps too forward), the Jets need to address DLine and do it asap. The best 3-4 teams have 1st rounders on the DLine.

Wilfork will be a UFA next year most likely (the Pats just drafted his replacement in Brace--gut feeling), so he could be an option. But still, they need top of the draft talent on the DLine.

Throwing the deep ball is certainly a function of arm strength. You don't throw a ball 68 yards without arm strength. Pennington has a weak arm thus can not throw it 68 yards. Elway had a cannon arm, he could throw it further than 68 yards.

How far you can throw the ball is CERTAINLY part of arm strength. Just because it is not the most important part of arm strength in relation to success on a football field doesn't mean that it is not part of arm strength all together.

Throwing the ball and extra yard or two is meaningless. The trajectory and velocity are what's important.. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see Chad throw the ball 68 yards..

Throwing the ball and extra yard or two is meaningless. The trajectory and velocity are what's important.. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see Chad throw the ball 68 yards..

It would surprise THE SH1T out of me.

Throwing a rainbow deep doesn't have much to do with functional armstrength, which is about velocity more then distance...

it certainly has a good deal to do with arm strength......there are obviously other factors, but to wing a ball almost 70 yards away.....you need a strong arm. i know i can't throw a football 70 yards. given 2 indentical trajectories and spin, the more velocity you throw a ball with the further it will travel.

What's the matter, not finding a scouting report when searching under "matt sanchez?"

I have regularly said that his arm strength looks fine to me and have defend it several times on JI. My point was that this thread is pointless..

ih8u

And we're still looking for an explanation as to why your breath smells like Kleck's junk..

I took a pole of JN and JI er's. It unanimous, nobody likes you.

Archived