Hofstra WR Has A Try Out At Jets MIni Camp

ladyjetsfan420

http://www.thehour.com/story/468526

Lewis to get a tryout with Jets

Posted on 04/28/2009

By STEVE GEOGHEGAN

Hour Staff Writer

Former Brien McMahon and Hofstra football standout Ottis Lewis could be catching passes from Mark Sanchez soon.

Lewis, a 6-foot-5-1/2, 224-pound wide receiver, will report to the New York Jets rookie minicamp this weekend as a free agent and could very well line up with Sanchez, the quarterback out of Southern California who was drafted by the Jets with the No. 5 overall pick last Saturday to be their franchise quarterback.

"If Sanchez is throwing to me, it's a good sign that I'll get signed," Lewis said as he waited to get the final details from the Jets Monday night. "It's all up in the air and depends upon how well I do."

After not getting drafted this past weekend, Lewis said his agent, Arthur Weiss, received calls from several NFL teams inquiring if the Norwalker would like to try out for them.

But Lewis and Weiss decided the best fit was with the Jets.

"They don't have a lot receivers so I can be that big target, especially in the red zone," said Lewis, whose draft status may have been effected by a hand injury that brought en end to his Hofstra career four games early..

If Lewis impresses at the minicamp, he said he could get signed as early as Sunday, the last day of the camp.

But he said some rookies don't get signed until a few weeks later so he wants to make a good impression.

"I'm humble because it's an opportunity for me to show what I can do and display my talents," he said. "I believe I'm an NFL-caliber receiver so now it's time for me to go out there and prove it and catch every ball thrown to me."

Whatever happens this weekend or over the next few weeks, Lewis said he's in it for the long haul and if he doesn't catch on with an NFL team, he'll look at playing in the UFL or Canadian Football League.

Lewis had 28 catches for 324 yards and two TDs for Hofstra last fall.

He was listed as signed, but I don't remember the source.

Damn he is one of my favorite sleepers.

I like Patrick Turner a lot prior to the draft but his stocked flew after USC's proday. He went in the 3rd.

Greg Carr from FSU is another BIG WR that would be interesting.

http://www.thehour.com/story/468526

Lewis to get a tryout with Jets

Posted on 04/28/2009

By STEVE GEOGHEGAN

Hour Staff Writer

Former Brien McMahon and Hofstra football standout Ottis Lewis could be catching passes from Mark Sanchez soon.

Lewis, a 6-foot-5-1/2, 224-pound wide receiver, will report to the New York Jets rookie minicamp this weekend as a free agent and could very well line up with Sanchez, the quarterback out of Southern California who was drafted by the Jets with the No. 5 overall pick last Saturday to be their franchise quarterback.

"If Sanchez is throwing to me, it's a good sign that I'll get signed," Lewis said as he waited to get the final details from the Jets Monday night. "It's all up in the air and depends upon how well I do."

After not getting drafted this past weekend, Lewis said his agent, Arthur Weiss, received calls from several NFL teams inquiring if the Norwalker would like to try out for them.

But Lewis and Weiss decided the best fit was with the Jets.

"They don't have a lot receivers so I can be that big target, especially in the red zone," said Lewis, whose draft status may have been effected by a hand injury that brought en end to his Hofstra career four games early..

If Lewis impresses at the minicamp, he said he could get signed as early as Sunday, the last day of the camp.

But he said some rookies don't get signed until a few weeks later so he wants to make a good impression.

"I'm humble because it's an opportunity for me to show what I can do and display my talents," he said. "I believe I'm an NFL-caliber receiver so now it's time for me to go out there and prove it and catch every ball thrown to me."

Whatever happens this weekend or over the next few weeks, Lewis said he's in it for the long haul and if he doesn't catch on with an NFL team, he'll look at playing in the UFL or Canadian Football League.

Lewis had 28 catches for 324 yards and two TDs for Hofstra last fall.

they seem fine at WR to me.

I wish the guy luck. A big receiver is the kind of thing a young QB loves to have. Sanchez thru 16 picks in 16 starts, might be nice for him to have a big guy to throw to in the pros.

And Marcus Henry has been invisible since the Jets drafted him.

Archived