Patriots, Jets tried to beat Vikings to Harvin

JetNation

Have you ever seen someone shoot a laser pointer beam against the wall and make their cat go crazy chasing it until finally the cat makes a desperation lunge at the red dot and fractures its skull against the coffee table leg? That is EXACTLY what Belichick does to Tannebaum when it comes to the draft and free agency.

Is this the real TomShane ??

If so, where do i find the whole story on your return (lol) and welcome back !!

It takes 3 years to develop a WR... MOss will be retired... Welker will not have Moss to benifit from....

The Pats need their WR of the future on the roster... they are smart enough to know this... your not.

While it does take 3 years to develop a WR, it's also generally fairly easy to take a WR someone else spent 3 years developing, as WRs are probably the one position that you don't have to worry about team chemistry so much and can plug in right away. Sure a lot is made of a QB-WR chemistry over years, but if it's a good WR that chemistry will come quickly (See Brady-Moss, among other examples). It's a lot harder to sign a QB, an O-line, or any number of other positions.

It helps the Pats that they have a great system and have most positions already taken care of. So far they've won nothing with great WRs and 3 SBs with mediocre at best ones, that they can easily find any year. In 3 years or so, the market will probably have Sidney Rice, Dwayne Bowe, Eddie Royal or any number of other WRs that'll be free agents and have a chance to be at least mediocre.

While it does take 3 years to develop a WR, it's also generally fairly easy to take a WR someone else spent 3 years developing, as WRs are probably the one position that you don't have to worry about team chemistry so much and can plug in right away. Sure a lot is made of a QB-WR chemistry over years, but if it's a good WR that chemistry will come quickly (See Brady-Moss, among other examples). It's a lot harder to sign a QB, an O-line, or any number of other positions.

Thus the Jets interest in Miles Austin.

Of course they did. Belichick and Urban are buds. Even Harvin, who has been mentored and given tips by Belichick, loves him.

Again, if the Patriots really wanted him they would have gotten him as they know the Vikings worked him out.

Harvin has durabilty issues and would have required a top 10 contract.

Harvin has durabilty issues and would have required a top 10 contract.

No doubt.

I do not believe this crap especially when assmop is the one saying it.

I have no doubt the Patriots worked him out. Especially, given that he had his issues. He was going to slide down the board and the Patriots worked him out to ensure all bases were covered and they knew what they were getting.

No doubt.

Yeah, hes so full of BS. :yawn:

I have no doubt the Patriots worked him out. Especially, given that he had his issues. He was going to slide down the board and the Patriots worked him out to ensure all bases were covered and they knew what they were getting.

WR wasnt a pressing need, but SS was for sure.

It helps the Pats that they have a great system and have most positions already taken care of. So far they've won nothing with great WRs and 3 SBs with mediocre at best ones, that they can easily find any year. In 3 years or so, the market will probably have Sidney Rice, Dwayne Bowe, Eddie Royal or any number of other WRs that'll be free agents and have a chance to be at least mediocre.

The lack of SB's has nothing to do with great wr's versus the mediocre ones they had when they did win the sb's. You are right - as long as Brady and the offensive philosophy stays intact (and a serviceable o-line) all systems are go. The lack of SB's has to do with the fact the defense - especially pass rush and DEFINITELY the secondary - was far superior to the product we have seen on the field the past couple of years.

Edited by Garb

No doubt.

i could care less if you believe me

My source played in NFL and is tight with pats org..he is from Bahstun

Pats like Harvin...they gambled he would slip and were right but

queens slipped ahead of them..

The lack of SB's has nothing to do with great wr's versus the mediocre ones they had when they did win the sb's. It has to do with the fact the defense - especially pass rush and DEFINITELY the secondary - was far superior to the product we have seen on the field the past couple of years.

Yes, NE was up on the Colts at halftime by 18 points in 2006 playoffs. Caldwell, Gaffney and Brown were the WR's.

The NE D totally fell apart in the 2nd half.

:rl:

Your source also said NE wanted the Texas AM QB. Hes playing you for a Chump.:tongue:

The lack of SB's has nothing to do with great wr's versus the mediocre ones they had when they did win the sb's. You are right - as long as Brady and the offensive philosophy stays intact (and a serviceable o-line) all systems are go. The lack of SB's has to do with the fact the defense - especially pass rush and DEFINITELY the secondary - was far superior to the product we have seen on the field the past couple of years.

+1

Jim Donaldson had an excellent article the other day. The plays that were made from 2001-2004 are not being made.

The Colts drove 80 yards in the last 3 minutes as did the Giants. 2001-2004 Assante makes that pick or Rodney breaks up the pass. Not anymore.

And you do not want to drop names? :rolleyes: I find it funny how your closet Patriots fan is coming out talking Pats.

Queens? They always picked of ahead of the Pats and the Vikes worked Harvin out so it was obvious they were seriously considering him..

Again, the Pats were doing their due diligence checking players out. Seeing Belichick has mentored Harvin in the past, I have no doubt they would work him out.

Like Reign pointed out, your 'sources' had the Patriots doing a bunch of things and none of which were true.

WR wasnt a pressing need, but SS was for sure.

I know. All I am saying is at some point and it is was dependent on how far he slipped. The Patriots might have chosen to move on him. I know Bill and Urban are tight, but they would also want to try him out as well.

+1

Jim Donaldson had an excellent article the other day. The plays that were made from 2001-2004 are not being made.

The Colts drove 80 yards in the last 3 minutes as did the Giants. 2001-2004 Assante makes that pick or Rodney breaks up the pass. Not anymore.

And you do not want to drop names? :rolleyes: I find it funny how your closet Patriots fan is coming out talking Pats.

Queens? They always picked of ahead of the Pats and the Vikes worked Harvin out so it was obvious they were seriously considering him..

Again, the Pats were doing their due diligence checking players out. Seeing Belichick has mentored Harvin in the past, I have no doubt they would work him out.

Like Reign pointed out, your 'sources' had the Patriots doing a bunch of things and none of which were true.

I know. All I am saying is at some point and it is was dependent on how far he slipped. The Patriots might have chosen to move on him. I know Bill and Urban are tight, but they would also want to try him out as well.

I aint giving you his name...He played college ball in Boston played in NFL

for 4 years...i play golf with him..he is friends with a few of the coaching

staff..he is not tied in to Mumbles...who is...and worst of all he is a pats

fan...so i enjoy taking his money on golf course..he thought jets stole

sanchez and he knows mayock and told me if mayock likes him you

are in good shape.

Yeah, BB was going to trade up to get a wide reciever, it is huge position of need. Does anybody seriously believe the Patriots are going to be able to field a team if they need to rely on bums like Welker and Moss. Who the heck is Brady going to throw the ball to this year now that Harvin slipped away.

Yeah because they are both invincible and having quality backups really suck.

are in good shape.

Your source is telling more lies. He played his college ball in Louisiana.

waterblg1.jpg

are in good shape.

Bwaaahhhh!!!!!!!!!! I know someone that played in the NFL, that actually was a ball boy for the Pats a gazillion years ago, that still knows folks in the Pats organization, and they said no such thing. This person does like Mayock though...and also likes Sanchez.

Have you ever seen someone shoot a laser pointer beam against the wall and make their cat go crazy chasing it until finally the cat makes a desperation lunge at the red dot and fractures its skull against the coffee table leg? That is EXACTLY what Belichick does to Tannebaum when it comes to the draft and free agency.

I just KNEW you had a cat. It all fits.

If the Pats wanted Harvin they had a million picks.. didn't trade up... hence they didn't really want him. the eagles traded up 2 spots for harvin, the Pats could have done similar but they didnt.

It is possible though that they thought he was going to fall in their laps and didn't see the need for jumping anyone. Let's not make Bill Bellicheck some infallible omnicient being when it comes to the draft. It's very possible he just miscalcultaed the demand and got his targeted player taken a few spots ahead of him. You don't want to sound like some idiot Patsie homer now. Dismissing it because they had the ammo to get the deal done without any knowledge of what goes on in their war room is absurd. It's like taking any arguement out of the boston sheeple fan's playbook.

Standard arguement #1: If the pats did (x) it was wicked smaht. If they didn't do (X) they was playing everybody else and using misdirection.

X=anything.

It is possible though that they thought he was going to fall in their laps and didn't see the need for jumping anyone. Let's not make Bill Bellicheck some infallible omnicient being when it comes to the draft. It's very possible he just miscalcultaed the demand and got his targeted player taken a few spots ahead of him. You don't want to sound like some idiot Patsie homer now. Dismissing it because they had the ammo to get the deal done without any knowledge of what goes on in their war room is absurd. It's like taking any arguement out of the boston sheeple fan's playbook.

Standard arguement #1: If the pats did (x) it was wicked smaht. If they didn't do (X) they was playing everybody else and using misdirection.

X=anything.

LOL you mean Mumbles nevah makes a mistake:D

I Dismissing it because they had the ammo to get the deal done without any knowledge of what goes on in their war room is absurd.

no more absurd than accepting a story from a reporter that's based on nothing but speculation and conjection.

Yeh right the Pats wanted Harvin so he could beat the s--t out of Randy Moss and send yet another teammate to the hospital.

The Patriots place a value on every player and every position. They thought he was a value at x - and that was what they may have been shooting for. If they thought they had to move up more even more than what they had him valued him at - I just can't see them doing it. Maybe they thought that had him at x - and someone beat them to it. What I'm saying is that x was what they had him at. Period.

No offense, folks, but BB has done alright by me and until he proves otherwise - his choices are far more credible than any of yours - Pats or Jest fans...or Assmops "source." Hahahahaha

LOL you mean Mumbles nevah makes a mistake:D

I think his draft record speaks for itself.

3 all pro Dlineman, 1 6th round goldmine, some average Olineman, and 2 very good DBacks. Then a litany of mediocre players that fit in well to his system that can be coached up to produce results higher than the sum of its parts. Belly's "genius" is his ability to manage a game and implement a system that can take advantage of players strengths and protect against their weaknesses. His planning and ability to design the system to fit the talent is fantastic. His ability to identify and draft great players is not a strength. He's much better at getting players in FA and putting them into his scheme. And yes, without Brady it is not possible to have the amount of success he did have. (too bad it all got tarnished by cheating....bwahahahaha)

This whole master manipulator of the draft title is beyond stupid.

• Upvote 1

The Patriots place a value on every player and every position. They thought he was a value at x - and that was what they may have been shooting for. If they thought they had to move up more even more than what they had him valued him at - I just can't see them doing it. Maybe they thought that had him at x - and someone beat them to it. What I'm saying is that x was what they had him at. Period.

No offense, folks, but BB has done alright by me and until he proves otherwise - his choices are far more credible than any of yours - Pats or Jest fans...or Assmops "source." Hahahahaha

No offense but his draft still sucked this year

He has only nailed his top 10 draft picks when he had them

Brady was pure luck and everyone realizes that.

No offense but his draft still sucked this year

He has only nailed his top 10 draft picks when he had them

Brady was pure luck and everyone realizes that.

Most 6th round picks are. Brady was picked at the urging of the former QB's coach Reihbein - who died young, and unexpectedly of a heart attack some years back.

Belichick has done quite well with his drafting of o-lineman - none of which were top ten.

How can anyone say a draft sucked or not? I'd like to see the play on the field. I mean, if Sanchez sucks, the Jest draft will go down as maybe the worst of all time.

Edited by Garb

Most 6th round picks are. Brady was picked at the urging of the former QB's coach Reihbein - who died young, and unexpectedly of a heart attack some years back.

Belichick has done quite well with his drafting of o-lineman - none of which were top ten.

How can anyone say a draft sucked or not? I'd like to see the play on the field. I mean, if Sanchez sucks, the Jest draft will go down as maybe the worst of all time.

time will tell..all i can say is it could have been much worse for a jets fan

seeing maclin crabtree or harvin in pat blue