Goodbye Windows Vista

Jetman_67

Windows 7 release candidate is available with a Technet subscription and will be available to the public in about a week. After playing with the Beta I have decided to reformat the hard drive and go ahead and start running Win 7 full time. The new OS requires less ram, and with my current configuration, is much more responsive than Vista.

Honestly, I have no issues with Vista and its a decent OS, I simply prefer to try to stay ahead of the curve with my pc.

Microsoft will be happy when Vista is no longer a discussion point. The PC \ Laptop makers will be sad to see it go. They will miss the extra fees they are charging for downgrading people to XP.

Bob,

The fuss has been about 2 issues. First is the Vista uses more ram. Win 7 addresses that issue. The other is compatibility with older software. So what????? When XP first came out to replace Win 98 and ME there were all kinds of compatibility issues.

XP was around for so long that people forgot the issues that existed when XP first was released.

I have Vista on my new laptop and have NO idea what the fuss is about. It works fine and has some neat features that XP did not.

Im a Vista user as well, the only issue I've had was the blue screen when I first got my PC (late 2007), but since I upgraded the service pack it's been fine. I dont see all the issues people are complaining about. I heart vista.

Im a Vista user as well, the only issue I've had was the blue screen when I first got my PC (late 2007), but since I upgraded the service pack it's been fine. I dont see all the issues people are complaining about. I heart vista.

That could have been caused by some of the crap software the pc manufacturers always stick on the machines they sell. With 7 Microsoft is going to enforce some strict licensing requirements tothe OEM's where they cant add a bunch of crap that is not Windows 7 certified.

I have Vista on my new laptop and have NO idea what the fuss is about. It works fine and has some neat features that XP did not.

The problem really came down to a TON of machines being sold when vista came out were really not suitable for the OS and its hardware requirements, BUT ms really forced them to ship with vista installed. So then you get a sluggish buggy machine because people were used to buying 500.00 computers that worked relatively (for windows anyway, lol) well with a really old Os and now weren't getting as good performance. Then tons of people end up running stripped down bare bones versions of vista with lots of the nifty new features turned off to save system resources, so at that point why even bother with it to begin with? And that forces MS to allow manufacturers to go back to shipping with XP. Imagine the new 2009 f150 pickup is such a pos that everyone scours the lots looking for old 2008 models and bitches so much to the dealers that ford actually goes and starts remaking 2008 models and CHARGES A PREMIUM to buy them over the 2009 models they are still making because the 09 is THAT bad. Sounds pretty crazy right? Well, that is what MS is doing with vista/xp.

I would think you probably have a pretty decent machine if you are having no issues with vista with all the cool features and effects turned on.

The same compatibility problems will exist unless you get Ultimate and the supposed legacy XP apps that you can use for it.

My biggest problem with Vista is it's a huge step down in terms of functionality. Getting rid of the top toolbars, etc. in it's Office apps was a terrible idea and makes everything harder to use, rather than streamlining the process. They changed a bunch of menus around so it would look nicer, but overall it becomes a mess.

well in all seriousness, friendly user interface is NOT MS's strong suit. If there were no competition in the OS space, we would all be using DOS v10

Microsoft is about to hit a much needed home run with Win 7. They have taken areo to the next step while using less ram. The os is very sturdy, and user friendly. The control panel has a different look even in classic view. The OS boots a little faster. Home networking has never been easier as well as printer and file sharing. The toolbar is a little sleeker and more functional. IE 8 runs very well within this OS as well. Browing in private is great if you dont want anyone to see sites that you browse to. Oh yeah, file storage has never been easier. Win 7 has a library button on the toolbar which automaticly locates files on your computer and includes them in the library.

As soon as the final release is out, I will be installing it on my laptop with a new 500 MB HD.

Folks, this is one to just upgrade to. No need to wait for any service packs.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

A much needed homerun? Are you now ready to admit that vista was a horrible failure?

All of these features you mention, they are really just vista bug fixes, haha. Let's see..

Aero with less ram

Os is sturdy and user friendly

boots a little faster

networking is easier

toolbar more functional

file storage is easier

Um, yeah, those are excellent new features!

So msft goes and takes 5 and a half years to develop vista and it STILL turns out to be a piece of crap and such a failure that after 2 years and being forced to go back to selling xp which is like 10 years old they resort to the desperate move of releasing a beta to the public of their upcoming os after only 2 years of such a huge upgrade in vista? And they are going to rush this out for sale in under 3 years from vista's release? How much of the past 2 years have they concentrated on just fixing the problems with vista to get themselves back to square 1? Windows 7 is what vista should have been 2 years ago.

MSFT should forget trying to attack apple with those lame ads and instead hire a few programmers and designers that actually have a bit of talent.

And btw, what is with the msft pep talk? You are out in washington state, do you wash the windows over at the msft offices in redmond?

As I understand it, Windows 7 is basically Vista with another service pack (even though Vista SP2 is coming out any time now). Except that this W7 service pack has some slightly different window dressing. It's a lot closer to Vista than Vista was to XP.

The minor appearance differences are nothing. There are two reasons they're packaging it as Windows 7 instead of merely a SP update:

1) Even though millions are happy with it, Vista's name is just totally tainted at this point.

2) They get to sell another OS. Particularly to those who bought XP computers in the past couple of years.

As I understand it, Windows 7 is basically Vista with another service pack (even though Vista SP2 is coming out any time now). Except that this W7 service pack has some slightly different window dressing. It's a lot closer to Vista than Vista was to XP.

The minor appearance differences are nothing. There are two reasons they're packaging it as Windows 7 instead of merely a SP update:

1) Even though millions are happy with it, Vista's name is just totally tainted at this point.

2) They get to sell another OS. Particularly to those who bought XP computers in the past couple of years.

Its more than just a Vista update. This is a major improvement. This is the first OS released in the Post Bill Gates era. the company is hell bent to make sure its perfect before final release.

The problem really came down to a TON of machines being sold when vista came out were really not suitable for the OS and its hardware requirements, BUT ms really forced them to ship with vista installed. So then you get a sluggish buggy machine because people were used to buying 500.00 computers that worked relatively (for windows anyway, lol) well with a really old Os and now weren't getting as good performance. Then tons of people end up running stripped down bare bones versions of vista with lots of the nifty new features turned off to save system resources, so at that point why even bother with it to begin with? And that forces MS to allow manufacturers to go back to shipping with XP. Imagine the new 2009 f150 pickup is such a pos that everyone scours the lots looking for old 2008 models and bitches so much to the dealers that ford actually goes and starts remaking 2008 models and CHARGES A PREMIUM to buy them over the 2009 models they are still making because the 09 is THAT bad. Sounds pretty crazy right? Well, that is what MS is doing with vista/xp.

I would think you probably have a pretty decent machine if you are having no issues with vista with all the cool features and effects turned on.

i paid 600 for my desktop. its got a quadcore processor, 4 gb ram, pretty goos video card (i forget whihc one though, lol), 750 gb hardddrive......runs great with vista.

I just started running Vista 64 bit on my laptop and I love it... why not just make Windows 7 a Vista update?

Windows upgrade process is horrible, you're better off backing your stuff up and do a clean install....

i'm still usinf XP pro with only service pack 2. i'm scared to update any more

You should get all your updates including service pack 3. There's slop in some parts of the updates and new SP's, but the security factor makes it almost a "have to" with all time high levels of malware and intrusion threats out there today.

As far as a home run - Gates already hit one with XP Pro.

You should get all your updates including service pack 3. There's slop in some parts of the updates and new SP's, but the security factor makes it almost a "have to" with all time high levels of malware and intrusion threats out there today.

As far as a home run - Gates already hit one with XP Pro.

then this is a GRAND SLAM!!!!

Archived