Sign in to follow this  
Morrissey

Yankees vs. Red Sox @ Yankee Stadium

I think the rainout screwed us now. If there was a game today, and Phil Hughes pitched today, and Joba for game 1, and Burnett for game 2, we would obviously win both games for revenge since it's in the Stadium. Now, I am thinking a split will happen, us winning game 2.

Obviously?

Revenge is hardly a huge factor in baseball

So, for the first time in a couple of years, I decided to watch Phil Phenom pitch a game, to see what all the hype is about.

What I witnessed was a kid who was nibble, nibble, nibble at the strike zone. On full count pitches, the kid threw breaking pitches.

Is he afraid of his own stuff?

The stuff looked decent from a camera angle (dangerous way to make a judgment, I realize), but God he seemed afraid of putting anything over the plate.

One game, I also realize.

Edited by Scott Dierking

This is beyond embarrassing. Note that by all accountd George Steinbrenner's favorite Yankee is Paul O'Neill. Paul O'Neill is a YES employee and broadcaster.

Today's Daily News-

Someone up in the Bronx has to grow some common sense pronto .

Tuesday, May 5th 2009, 12:42 AM

Considering the peculiar media vibe floating around those empty seats inside Yankee Stadium, Joe Girardi's Sunday soliloquy about the publishing industry, specifically Selena Roberts' book on Alex Rodriguez, was not surprising.

Girardi sounded like someone looking to control something he has absolutely no business controlling. This urge to play King Fool may have filtered down from the Yankees' high command.

After all, the suits are already putting the squeeze on the electronic media. In terms of access and money, life is being made uncomfortable.

The campaign may not be totally adversarial. It's part of Yankee brass' obvious strategy, authored by Bombers COO Lonn Trost, of wringing every penny out of the new building. It could also be a miscommunication of security policy. Or maybe it's just stupidity.

The latest episode came during the weekend series with the Angels. Paul O'Neill, a revered former Yankee, now an analyst for the Yankees Entertainment & Sports Network, was asked by security to leave the indoor batting cages, where he was watching Yankees hit, prior to one of the games.

A security guard told O'Neill, the man George Steinbrenner called "warrior," he could not loiter in the area. O'Neill had another reason to be perturbed. Security would not allow his wife, Nevalee, into the Stadium "wives room." She was told by security it was for "current" wives only.

Think about it. Here's O'Neill, a guy who bled for the franchise, trying to prepare for a broadcast. Not only is he told to take a hike, so is his wife. O'Neill was not the only broadcaster ejected from a part of the Stadium over the weekend.

The Angels bring multiple announcers (including voices who work Spanish language broadcasts) on the road. The mouths rotate between radio and TV. At times, some of them are not on the air. During those breaks, they need a place to watch the game. There were two empty Stadium broadcast booths during the series. Angels voices, not on the air, used one of them to chill.

Until they were booted by security.

The Angels broadcasters were told they weren't allowed to sit in the empty booth. When asked Monday if the voices had been mistaken and were sitting in a private box reserved for patrons, an Angels source said: "No, it was a broadcast booth." When asked if security invited the broadcasters downstairs to sit in those empty seats behind the plate, the source laughed and said, "no."

The announcers wouldn't be able to expense one of those $1,000-plus seats. Still, when it comes to the electronic media, money is an issue. Yankees suits, according to industry sources, have increased the fee they charge local TV outlets to do live reports inside the Stadium. Earlier in the season, sources put the price at $4,000 a pop. After negotiations the price has dropped.

Networks already are paying billions to MLB for TV rights fees. When these networks, or a local TV station, broadcast a game, they also must pay the home team a "park and power" fee. The fee is paid so a network can park its trucks outside the Stadium, "plug in" and transmit the telecast.

Network sources say they are being asked to pay the Yankees a much higher fee (about $12,000 per game) to "park and power" than they did at the old Stadium. The charge in the old building was around $3,000. The price hike is not sitting well with the networks. Some of the suits, convinced the Yankees are price-gouging, have taken their case to MLB. The situation has yet to be resolved. (The Mets currently are in negotiations over their "park and power" fee at Citi Field, which also was increased).

Some outlets use walkie-talkies for internal communication during a broadcast. A source said the Yankees want these outlets to now pay to use their equipment and frequency. Part of the reason for this is that the Yankees claim "other" walkie-talkies interfere with their "wireless food service."

Recently, when one broadcast crew tried using its own walkie-talkie inside the new Stadium, the frequency was jammed.

The Yankees also insist broadcast outlets use their microphones to pick up game audio. Some networks are not thrilled with the quality of the audio produced by Stadium mikes.

Even during Steinbrenner's most manic times, he was not inclined to engage in this kind of media strategy. The Boss would be more direct, like telling his Al Yankzeera puppets to keep Don Zimmer off camera. Or instructing his PR man to prohibit Tony Kubek, the former Yankees shortstop and MSG contrarian, from interviewing any of his players.

The approach now is different. O'Neill watching batting practice is a security issue. Angels voices in a vacant booth are a threat to the Yankees empire. Broadcast crews, like fans, pay much more to enter. Then there's Girardi's meteoric ascent to literary critic.

Plenty of material.

For another book.

Baseball went through this in the late 80's and early 90's too. Stuff like this almost killed the sport.

The Mets are doing it too, not supplying copies of the NYPost and NYDN in the clubhouse, only bland USA Today.

Overbearing and paranoid are terrible ways to conduct a business.

Put on Baseball Tonight.. every stadium is half empty. Remember we're in a recession.

Not the games I have gone to in Philly.

and.. Atlanta was empty last night vs. the Mets

You said EVERY stadium was empty.

I am telling you that Philly is NOT.

By the way.. the Yankees are currently second in attendance, between the Dodgers and Phillies.

They are 6th in percentage filled at home at 85.2%

You dont even go as far as Philly, just go to Queens, Citi Field has not been empty the games Ive gone this season. Let him keep believing the RECESSION is the reason noone goes to Yankee games

Shea is 91% filled in 5th place

1. Boston 101.6

2. Philly 96.9

3. Cubs 95.9

4. Angels 92.9

Both the Mets and Yankees have to be somewhat disappointed

• Upvote 1

FACT: Yankees average more people than the Mets.

That is not difficult to do, when you have more seats.

FACT-The Mets are actually selling a greater percentage of their total seats than the Yankees.

Opinion-Who cares, except for you who seems to have to have a knee jerk reaction to any Yankee opinion that does not agree with your own.

Obviously percentage in this debate would only matter if they sold out the ballpark. This argument only works for the Red Sox, because Fenway sells out.

Do you even realize what you are arguing any more?

The whole debate started with someone saying the stadium was half empty.

That sent you in Colonel Flagg, mode protecting everything "Yankee".

You stated correctly, that the Yankees sell more tickets than the Mets.

I also correctly told you, that in relation to empty seats, the Yankees have more than the Mets.

I also state "both teams are probably somewhat disappointed" as well as "who cares".

In your over zealous attempt to protect everything Yankees, you lost your point.

88.5% isn't half empty.

I wasn't the one that made that statement.

The Yankees are doing well, but are behind 5 other clubs in terms of percentage of seats to full they are selling.

They sold seats at a higher percentage, through all of last year, in comparison 92%.

Bull****...

What you are is a Yankee bully. if someone does not agree with your perspective on the Yankees, you call them names, you deride them, you chastise them for either not being a fan and drinking your kool-aid or being a hater.

You are the definition of a bully, insecure that others won't think the same way you do.

I'll just go back to JI, I'm sure that will make some of you guys very happy.

When someone says something I think is wrong, or disagree with, I put them to task.. I see nothing wrong with that.

Why does someone have to be "put to task" just because you do not agree with their opinion?

is yours' the only one that counts? That is the way you come across.

• Upvote 1

This is quite possibly the silliest thread in the history of messageboards.

At least the Sox won.

Divide and conquer ;)

This is downright retarded. Percentage? Really? You think that is a legitimate comparison?

Maybe if the Mets were at 100%, meaning there were fans that WANTED to attend Mets games but physically CAN'T due to availablility, then you could make a case.

But the fact that there are empty seats means that the TOTAL NUMBER is all that matters. And the Yankees sell more tickets than the Mets. Bottom line.

End of story and 4th grade math lesson.

Fact-There are 5 other teams in MLB that sell out a greater percent of their seats than the Yankees.

Another fact-I don't really care.

I was just guiding a misguided principal by TD as he was using numbers that did not pertain to the discussion at hand.

• Upvote 1

Do the attendance numbers mean people who actually show up or is it like the NFL when they count tickets sold as the attendance?

They just count ticket ssold.

For a good number of years, the NL counted only people who showed up. They finally changed that.

• Upvote 1

Gillette Stadium was "gorgeous" when it opened in 2002. That doesn't discount the fact the there was a severe lack of mens bathrooms and getting in to the Stadium was a mess.

When I complained about it my fellows Pats fans agreed that it was terrible. The Patriots listened and all was taken care of in the next couple of seasons.

Homers are the best. No matter what the ownership/team does all is good :rolleyes:

It doesn't make you less of a fan if you complain about things that negatively impact your game day experience.

There are so many kinks to work out of a new stadium, everything can't be thought of.

Some people here are confusing the stadium for the team, and not allowing any comments based on what people are feeling and seeing is silly

Well said. Some posters think criticizing the stadium = criticizing the team. That isn't the case at all.

I haven't heard many complaints about Citi Field. Have you heard anything?

For what it's worth I think the Yankees need to train their support staff and security people to shut up if they don't know what is going on.

What happened to Matt39 after a game was ridiculous.

There are enough complaints about Citi also:

-sight lines.

-met items displayed.

Discussing those and saying what you feel does not constitute tearing down the team.

TD and a few others feel that they have the duty to protect all that is Yankees.

It's like the emperor's clothes.

If there is one thing you have to admit is that the stadium WAS part of the team. There were very few places like it and I'm sure that's what some people are "struggling" to deal with. It's been in the Bronx forever.. and you can even say many generations of fans passed through the halls.

I for one am glad I was able to grow up watching the Yanks in the old stadium. And I am also glad... and I'm sure it's going to be an incredible experience... when I bring my son to the new place for the first time. I'm sure the wonderment in his eyes will make it a special place for me.

Some people just have that Dana Carvey "Grumpy old man" mentality. Everything was better the old way.

I can totally get that.

If I was a yankee fan, they would have carried me kicking and screaming out of that Stadium, and the new one would need time for it to grow on me.

Perfectly understandable

I've been to Citifield as well, and I'd have to say that I think the sightline thing is blown way out of proportion. Citifield is sweet. It reminded me a bit of Philly's new stadium, but I think in some ways it fell just short of that one.

But in comparison to Shea, it is a one million times improvement. Mets fans should be psyched.

I went to the first games at Citizens Bank park (am still a ticket season holder) and right away there were things that were just off:

-You could not see the numbers on the scoreboard facade (the background was not contrasting from the numbers), and it was tough to tell the count.

-You could not hear announcements in all parts of the stadium.

-Of course, the idea of having the visitor's bullpen so close to the fans was a huge mistake (or was it)

But they eventually got these things worked out.

Opening a stadium, hosting upwards of 50,000 people is a task of epic proportions. And not everyone is going to get it right. And not everyone is going to be trained properly

I think the rainout screwed us now. If there was a game today, and Phil Hughes pitched today, and Joba for game 1, and Burnett for game 2, we would obviously win both games for revenge since it's in the Stadium. Now, I am thinking a split will happen, us winning game 2.

So much for the revenge theory

Sign in to follow this  

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company