Sign in to follow this  
Morrissey

Yankees vs. Red Sox @ Yankee Stadium

Chances are he could careless about his mother, she walked out on him and his father when he was just a little boy.

I heard this happened because she's a clairvoyant, and even when he was a small child, she predicted he would be a bust someday with the Yankees. The meth sales are her way of deadening the pain of seeing her prophecy come to light.

Embarrassing...

Driving my wife to the train station this morning, I let fly with a rant about how the Yankees have become a media joke. This is just more evidence. I caught the game last night and--for the first time in about 40 years--felt none of the Yankee-Boston buzz/fervor that is normally there when I watch these two go at it. I think many of us need to send the inept Yankee brass emails resigning as fans. Lately, I almost find myself going for the other team because--other than Jeter, Mariano and Posada--I hate the team we have become. Good, maybe I'll get some work done on my house this summer instead of watching these clowns on TV. God knows I can't afford to actually take my wife and son to the Stadium/mausoleum for a game.

I was at the game on Friday night. After the game ended I walked down to the lower level to meet my other friends who were at the game to try and take some pictures. Kepp in mind the game was over...

So I walk down...see my friends getting a few pics in, asd I try and meet them two security guards jump in front of my and ask for my ticket stub. Like I said, the game had ended already. I politely told the guy that those were my friends and I just wanted to take a picture with them, which was apparently obviously asking WAYYY TOO MUCH. They threatned me saying they were going to call their supervisor if I didnt cooperate and leave and ban me from the Stadium. Just absolutely unreal. I seriously looked at the two guys and said "you gotta be freaking kidding me."

Please tell me you are exaggerating here. Ban you from the stadium? Now you know the corporate mindset is firmly in place. That's what happens when you sell out your home town fans for tourists and luxury boxes. Okay, I'm talking a million years ago, but we would routinely tip the ushers a few bucks to get into great box seats after having paid for G.A.

Funny, I've been having similar thoughts lately. The late '90s team, that I waited almost 20 years for as a fan, is sadly, an ancient memory. I'm glad the obscenely high priced ticket sare blowing up in the Frankensteinbrener's faces.

I could never root for them to lose against Boston. Frankly I root for a giant AIDS cloud to rid the world of that rotten city every day, but I won't be taking too many more Yankees' loses to heart for awhile, I don't think.

Such a :pooh: sandwich we'e been served......

Last night, as in Boston last week, I was pretty much numb. I wanted the Yanks to win, but found myself not getting excited, mad or agitated, as I always do during Yankee and Jet games, especially against the hated Saux. This has been going on for a few years now, but I really feel a disconnect from the team.

This is beyond embarrassing. Note that by all accountd George Steinbrenner's favorite Yankee is Paul O'Neill. Paul O'Neill is a YES employee and broadcaster.

Today's Daily News-

Someone up in the Bronx has to grow some common sense pronto .

Tuesday, May 5th 2009, 12:42 AM

Considering the peculiar media vibe floating around those empty seats inside Yankee Stadium, Joe Girardi's Sunday soliloquy about the publishing industry, specifically Selena Roberts' book on Alex Rodriguez, was not surprising.

Girardi sounded like someone looking to control something he has absolutely no business controlling. This urge to play King Fool may have filtered down from the Yankees' high command.

After all, the suits are already putting the squeeze on the electronic media. In terms of access and money, life is being made uncomfortable.

The campaign may not be totally adversarial. It's part of Yankee brass' obvious strategy, authored by Bombers COO Lonn Trost, of wringing every penny out of the new building. It could also be a miscommunication of security policy. Or maybe it's just stupidity.

The latest episode came during the weekend series with the Angels. Paul O'Neill, a revered former Yankee, now an analyst for the Yankees Entertainment & Sports Network, was asked by security to leave the indoor batting cages, where he was watching Yankees hit, prior to one of the games.

A security guard told O'Neill, the man George Steinbrenner called "warrior," he could not loiter in the area. O'Neill had another reason to be perturbed. Security would not allow his wife, Nevalee, into the Stadium "wives room." She was told by security it was for "current" wives only.

Think about it. Here's O'Neill, a guy who bled for the franchise, trying to prepare for a broadcast. Not only is he told to take a hike, so is his wife. O'Neill was not the only broadcaster ejected from a part of the Stadium over the weekend.

The Angels bring multiple announcers (including voices who work Spanish language broadcasts) on the road. The mouths rotate between radio and TV. At times, some of them are not on the air. During those breaks, they need a place to watch the game. There were two empty Stadium broadcast booths during the series. Angels voices, not on the air, used one of them to chill.

Until they were booted by security.

The Angels broadcasters were told they weren't allowed to sit in the empty booth. When asked Monday if the voices had been mistaken and were sitting in a private box reserved for patrons, an Angels source said: "No, it was a broadcast booth." When asked if security invited the broadcasters downstairs to sit in those empty seats behind the plate, the source laughed and said, "no."

The announcers wouldn't be able to expense one of those $1,000-plus seats. Still, when it comes to the electronic media, money is an issue. Yankees suits, according to industry sources, have increased the fee they charge local TV outlets to do live reports inside the Stadium. Earlier in the season, sources put the price at $4,000 a pop. After negotiations the price has dropped.

Networks already are paying billions to MLB for TV rights fees. When these networks, or a local TV station, broadcast a game, they also must pay the home team a "park and power" fee. The fee is paid so a network can park its trucks outside the Stadium, "plug in" and transmit the telecast.

Network sources say they are being asked to pay the Yankees a much higher fee (about $12,000 per game) to "park and power" than they did at the old Stadium. The charge in the old building was around $3,000. The price hike is not sitting well with the networks. Some of the suits, convinced the Yankees are price-gouging, have taken their case to MLB. The situation has yet to be resolved. (The Mets currently are in negotiations over their "park and power" fee at Citi Field, which also was increased).

Some outlets use walkie-talkies for internal communication during a broadcast. A source said the Yankees want these outlets to now pay to use their equipment and frequency. Part of the reason for this is that the Yankees claim "other" walkie-talkies interfere with their "wireless food service."

Recently, when one broadcast crew tried using its own walkie-talkie inside the new Stadium, the frequency was jammed.

The Yankees also insist broadcast outlets use their microphones to pick up game audio. Some networks are not thrilled with the quality of the audio produced by Stadium mikes.

Even during Steinbrenner's most manic times, he was not inclined to engage in this kind of media strategy. The Boss would be more direct, like telling his Al Yankzeera puppets to keep Don Zimmer off camera. Or instructing his PR man to prohibit Tony Kubek, the former Yankees shortstop and MSG contrarian, from interviewing any of his players.

The approach now is different. O'Neill watching batting practice is a security issue. Angels voices in a vacant booth are a threat to the Yankees empire. Broadcast crews, like fans, pay much more to enter. Then there's Girardi's meteoric ascent to literary critic.

Plenty of material.

For another book.

More fuel for the fire. What f**king morons.

Name any player the Yanks have developed themselves that has made an impact outside of Derek Jeter, Andy Pettite and the neo generation of kids? Again, I never said they NEVER HAVE developed players but outside of those guys, who else have they developed themselves? Theo Epstein >Brian Cashman

Vaginitis>Brian Cashman

I'll just go back to JI, I'm sure that will make some of you guys very happy.

When someone says something I think is wrong, or disagree with, I put them to task.. I see nothing wrong with that.

Peace.

There is a way of getting your point across, and speaking to people, without being personal, profane or disrespectful. She did not call you an a$$hole, prick, or even an idiot. Just a "homer" which, I think even you would agree, you are. That's not an insult. It's a term to describe passion and fervor.

I think even madmike would be embarrassed with this thread and Tyler's behaviour.

(AS ANDREW DICE CLAY) "Hey, what are you, a fruit?" :)

Pretty insane, they would do that to O'neil. As a Met fan I didn't like him very much, but you have to respect the guy. He's fiery and goes all out. Kind of like the Mets treating Doc like a criminal. The problem is suits don't understand your everyday fans, and they don't care to understand either.

We idolize the stars of the games we watch. Forever. The suits idolize the profit margin, even when it comes at the expense of alienating your heroes and fans.

Yup.

I'm not lying to myself. The tables are turned and we're the ones looking down the barrel of the gun.

Like I said previous, before there was an air, a feel of invincibility.

Now it's a feeling of inevitability. I know sox fans will disagree but this roster HAS the talent to change everything. But the question is if they have that "it" that "drive" to just will themselves to be the team to beat.

In 2004, the Yankees had the opportunity to vanquish the Red Sox into eternity. Losing four straight to the dreaded Yankees--and with it the continuation of the Curse of the Bambino--would have sent them spiraling into the abyss, never to be heard from again, or for decades, at least. Francona, Manny, Big Papi, et. al. would have been sent packing. Instead, Mariano blows a "gimmee" save and we lose the next three. Since that moment, the Yankees have never been the same team, and the Red Sox have had our number. The swagger and feeling of invincibility may never come back. If it does, it will be when all of the current Yankees are gone.

Not sure I would call that a 'gimme'. You want to blame him for walking Millar, fine, but Bill Mueller is one of the few people in baseball to hit Mariano fairly well.

As Yankee fans, we came to expect that The Master, Mariano Rivera, would put that one away, no matter who was up. No joke, I am still not over that game and the loss of that series. Especially since we let the Sox off the mat, that series loss was like a dagger in the liver, and will haunt Yankee fans forever. Seriously, if Boston loses that series four straight, it would have been the final nail in the Red Sox coffin.

I watched some of Francesa's show today and don't think he was too far off the mark. Joba is a dunce who needs to learn that baseball isn't about personal accolades, but about winning the game. Enough with the bush league fist pumps, especially if you're losing, idiot. Who gives a f**k about the Ks? I was listening in the car last evening and flipped in my car after it was four-zip after four batters. Also, am I surprised that Michael Kay lionized Joba for his performance, rather than concentrating on his horrendous first inning.? Absolutely not. I've said on here several times that, IMO, Kay, Sterling, and Waldman are inept, and not the caliber of broadcaster we should expect for the Yankees.

Edited by Borgoguy

Fatcessa is being the polar opposite of Kay

And they're both wrong.

Yes 4 runs is bad

But 12 K's is good.

And in retrospect he kept us in it long enough for us to get into a situation with Pena up with guys on 2nd and 3rd and Beckett being at his pitch max. Although he didn't make it easy he let us hang around long enough.

We need better from Joba, but I'm not going to kill him.

12 Ks are good if we win. If not, they are irrelevant except as a personal achievement. I'll be honest, Joba bugs me. And so does how the Yanks have coddled him. I want the guy to succeed, but see him as another self-absorbed athlete with the I.Q. of an acorn squash.

12 K's doesn't matter if your CC and you lose

Joba is a KID... he's still getting better, that's the aspect I'm happy with. And a against a good line up.

If he wins games and is this dominant you'll change your mind on him :)

I'll give you that. Look, I want him, and the rest of the Yanks, to succeed. I have just been very frustrated with this team over the last few years. Like so many fans here, I am tired of losing, especially to Boston.

Sign in to follow this  

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company