Yankees vs. Red Sox @ Yankee Stadium

Morrissey

Please tell me you are exaggerating here. Ban you from the stadium? Now you know the corporate mindset is firmly in place. That's what happens when you sell out your home town fans for tourists and luxury boxes. Okay, I'm talking a million years ago, but we would routinely tip the ushers a few bucks to get into great box seats after having paid for G.A.

Who knows, permanent ban...kick me out that night(which really makes no difference, considering the game was over). Just the fact I wasnt allowed to walk down a few rows to meet my friends irked me like no ones business.

I guess the Old Stadium eventually became like that too. The Yankees have to be the most non fan friendly organization in sports.

• Replies 593
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Who knows, permanent ban...kick me out that night(which really makes no difference, considering the game was over). Just the fact I wasnt allowed to walk down a few rows to meet my friends irked me like no ones business.

I guess the Old Stadium eventually became like that too. The Yankees have to be the most non fan friendly organization in sports.

I gotta level with you.. reading this thread gives me schadenfreude.

:lol:

I was at the game on Friday night. After the game ended I walked down to the lower level to meet my other friends who were at the game to try and take some pictures. Kepp in mind the game was over...

So I walk down...see my friends getting a few pics in, asd I try and meet them two security guards jump in front of my and ask for my ticket stub. Like I said, the game had ended already. I politely told the guy that those were my friends and I just wanted to take a picture with them, which was apparently obviously asking WAYYY TOO MUCH. They threatned me saying they were going to call their supervisor if I didnt cooperate and leave and ban me from the Stadium. Just absolutely unreal. I seriously looked at the two guys and said "you gotta be freaking kidding me."

The elite didnt want your kind mixing with them. If you were a rich dooshie like Keith Olberman would you want poor fans from the upper deck coming down to your seating level? Heck no! They might rub shoulders with you and get middle class stench on them.

You had no right to be there. The security did their job.

They dont need to be. People have got to start accepting the fact that the normal Joe 6-pack doesnt matter to them anymore.

Expensive seats and advertising is what matters. And if you say f#ck it I aint going- they still get you with the YES network where they make money off all cable subscribers, even non yankee fans.

Yankees know they have you for life as a fan. They dont need to do sh!t for you.

Driving my wife to the train station this morning, I let fly with a rant about how the Yankees have become a media joke. This is just more evidence. I caught the game last night and--for the first time in about 40 years--felt none of the Yankee-Boston buzz/fervor that is normally there when I watch these two go at it. I think many of us need to send the inept Yankee brass emails resigning as fans. Lately, I almost find myself going for the other team because--other than Jeter, Mariano and Posada--I hate the team we have become. Good, maybe I'll get some work done on my house this summer instead of watching these clowns on TV. God knows I can't afford to actually take my wife and son to the Stadium/mausoleum for a game.

Funny, I've been having similar thoughts lately. The late '90s team, that I waited almost 20 years for as a fan, is sadly, an ancient memory. I'm glad the obscenely high priced ticket sare blowing up in the Frankensteinbrener's faces.

I could never root for them to lose against Boston. Frankly I root for a giant AIDS cloud to rid the world of that rotten city every day, but I won't be taking too many more Yankees' loses to heart for awhile, I don't think.

Such a :pooh: sandwich we'e been served......

Funny, I've been having similar thoughts lately. The late '90s team, that I waited almost 20 years for as a fan, is sadly, an ancient memory. I'm glad the obscenely high priced ticket sare blowing up in the Frankensteinbrener's faces.

I could never root for them to lose against Boston. Frankly I root for a giant AIDS cloud to rid the world of that rotten city every day, but I won't be taking too many more Yankees' loses to heart for awhile, I don't think.

Such a :pooh: sandwich we'e been served......

Last night, as in Boston last week, I was pretty much numb. I wanted the Yanks to win, but found myself not getting excited, mad or agitated, as I always do during Yankee and Jet games, especially against the hated Saux. This has been going on for a few years now, but I really feel a disconnect from the team.

So, for the first time in a couple of years, I decided to watch Phil Phenom pitch a game, to see what all the hype is about.

What I witnessed was a kid who was nibble, nibble, nibble at the strike zone. On full count pitches, the kid threw breaking pitches.

Is he afraid of his own stuff?

The stuff looked decent from a camera angle (dangerous way to make a judgment, I realize), but God he seemed afraid of putting anything over the plate.

One game, I also realize.

Which is what got him sent to the minors this year. The guy REFUSES to challenge anyone. If that is howhe's going to pitch, there's no point.

This is beyond embarrassing. Note that by all accountd George Steinbrenner's favorite Yankee is Paul O'Neill. Paul O'Neill is a YES employee and broadcaster.

Today's Daily News-

Someone up in the Bronx has to grow some common sense pronto .

Tuesday, May 5th 2009, 12:42 AM

Considering the peculiar media vibe floating around those empty seats inside Yankee Stadium, Joe Girardi's Sunday soliloquy about the publishing industry, specifically Selena Roberts' book on Alex Rodriguez, was not surprising.

Girardi sounded like someone looking to control something he has absolutely no business controlling. This urge to play King Fool may have filtered down from the Yankees' high command.

After all, the suits are already putting the squeeze on the electronic media. In terms of access and money, life is being made uncomfortable.

The campaign may not be totally adversarial. It's part of Yankee brass' obvious strategy, authored by Bombers COO Lonn Trost, of wringing every penny out of the new building. It could also be a miscommunication of security policy. Or maybe it's just stupidity.

The latest episode came during the weekend series with the Angels. Paul O'Neill, a revered former Yankee, now an analyst for the Yankees Entertainment & Sports Network, was asked by security to leave the indoor batting cages, where he was watching Yankees hit, prior to one of the games.

A security guard told O'Neill, the man George Steinbrenner called "warrior," he could not loiter in the area. O'Neill had another reason to be perturbed. Security would not allow his wife, Nevalee, into the Stadium "wives room." She was told by security it was for "current" wives only.

Think about it. Here's O'Neill, a guy who bled for the franchise, trying to prepare for a broadcast. Not only is he told to take a hike, so is his wife. O'Neill was not the only broadcaster ejected from a part of the Stadium over the weekend.

The Angels bring multiple announcers (including voices who work Spanish language broadcasts) on the road. The mouths rotate between radio and TV. At times, some of them are not on the air. During those breaks, they need a place to watch the game. There were two empty Stadium broadcast booths during the series. Angels voices, not on the air, used one of them to chill.

Until they were booted by security.

The Angels broadcasters were told they weren't allowed to sit in the empty booth. When asked Monday if the voices had been mistaken and were sitting in a private box reserved for patrons, an Angels source said: "No, it was a broadcast booth." When asked if security invited the broadcasters downstairs to sit in those empty seats behind the plate, the source laughed and said, "no."

The announcers wouldn't be able to expense one of those $1,000-plus seats. Still, when it comes to the electronic media, money is an issue. Yankees suits, according to industry sources, have increased the fee they charge local TV outlets to do live reports inside the Stadium. Earlier in the season, sources put the price at $4,000 a pop. After negotiations the price has dropped.

Networks already are paying billions to MLB for TV rights fees. When these networks, or a local TV station, broadcast a game, they also must pay the home team a "park and power" fee. The fee is paid so a network can park its trucks outside the Stadium, "plug in" and transmit the telecast.

Network sources say they are being asked to pay the Yankees a much higher fee (about $12,000 per game) to "park and power" than they did at the old Stadium. The charge in the old building was around $3,000. The price hike is not sitting well with the networks. Some of the suits, convinced the Yankees are price-gouging, have taken their case to MLB. The situation has yet to be resolved. (The Mets currently are in negotiations over their "park and power" fee at Citi Field, which also was increased).

Some outlets use walkie-talkies for internal communication during a broadcast. A source said the Yankees want these outlets to now pay to use their equipment and frequency. Part of the reason for this is that the Yankees claim "other" walkie-talkies interfere with their "wireless food service."

Recently, when one broadcast crew tried using its own walkie-talkie inside the new Stadium, the frequency was jammed.

The Yankees also insist broadcast outlets use their microphones to pick up game audio. Some networks are not thrilled with the quality of the audio produced by Stadium mikes.

Even during Steinbrenner's most manic times, he was not inclined to engage in this kind of media strategy. The Boss would be more direct, like telling his Al Yankzeera puppets to keep Don Zimmer off camera. Or instructing his PR man to prohibit Tony Kubek, the former Yankees shortstop and MSG contrarian, from interviewing any of his players.

The approach now is different. O'Neill watching batting practice is a security issue. Angels voices in a vacant booth are a threat to the Yankees empire. Broadcast crews, like fans, pay much more to enter. Then there's Girardi's meteoric ascent to literary critic.

Plenty of material.

For another book.

This is beyond embarrassing. Note that by all accountd George Steinbrenner's favorite Yankee is Paul O'Neill. Paul O'Neill is a YES employee and broadcaster.

Today's Daily News-

Considering the peculiar media vibe floating around those empty seats inside Yankee Stadium, Joe Girardi's Sunday soliloquy about the publishing industry, specifically Selena Roberts' book on Alex Rodriguez, was not surprising.

Girardi sounded like someone looking to control something he has absolutely no business controlling. This urge to play King Fool may have filtered down from the Yankees' high command.

After all, the suits are already putting the squeeze on the electronic media. In terms of access and money, life is being made uncomfortable.

The campaign may not be totally adversarial. It's part of Yankee brass' obvious strategy, authored by Bombers COO Lonn Trost, of wringing every penny out of the new building. It could also be a miscommunication of security policy. Or maybe it's just stupidity.

The latest episode came during the weekend series with the Angels. Paul O'Neill, a revered former Yankee, now an analyst for the Yankees Entertainment & Sports Network, was asked by security to leave the indoor batting cages, where he was watching Yankees hit, prior to one of the games.

A security guard told O'Neill, the man George Steinbrenner called "warrior," he could not loiter in the area. O'Neill had another reason to be perturbed. Security would not allow his wife, Nevalee, into the Stadium "wives room." She was told by security it was for "current" wives only.

Think about it. Here's O'Neill, a guy who bled for the franchise, trying to prepare for a broadcast. Not only is he told to take a hike, so is his wife. O'Neill was not the only broadcaster ejected from a part of the Stadium over the weekend.

The Angels bring multiple announcers (including voices who work Spanish language broadcasts) on the road. The mouths rotate between radio and TV. At times, some of them are not on the air. During those breaks, they need a place to watch the game. There were two empty Stadium broadcast booths during the series. Angels voices, not on the air, used one of them to chill.

The Angels broadcasters were told they weren't allowed to sit in the empty booth. When asked Monday if the voices had been mistaken and were sitting in a private box reserved for patrons, an Angels source said: "No, it was a broadcast booth." When asked if security invited the broadcasters downstairs to sit in those empty seats behind the plate, the source laughed and said, "no."

The announcers wouldn't be able to expense one of those $1,000-plus seats. Still, when it comes to the electronic media, money is an issue. Yankees suits, according to industry sources, have increased the fee they charge local TV outlets to do live reports inside the Stadium. Earlier in the season, sources put the price at $4,000 a pop. After negotiations the price has dropped.

Networks already are paying billions to MLB for TV rights fees. When these networks, or a local TV station, broadcast a game, they also must pay the home team a "park and power" fee. The fee is paid so a network can park its trucks outside the Stadium, "plug in" and transmit the telecast.

Network sources say they are being asked to pay the Yankees a much higher fee (about $12,000 per game) to "park and power" than they did at the old Stadium. The charge in the old building was around $3,000. The price hike is not sitting well with the networks. Some of the suits, convinced the Yankees are price-gouging, have taken their case to MLB. The situation has yet to be resolved. (The Mets currently are in negotiations over their "park and power" fee at Citi Field, which also was increased).

Some outlets use walkie-talkies for internal communication during a broadcast. A source said the Yankees want these outlets to now pay to use their equipment and frequency. Part of the reason for this is that the Yankees claim "other" walkie-talkies interfere with their "wireless food service."

Recently, when one broadcast crew tried using its own walkie-talkie inside the new Stadium, the frequency was jammed.

The Yankees also insist broadcast outlets use their microphones to pick up game audio. Some networks are not thrilled with the quality of the audio produced by Stadium mikes.

Even during Steinbrenner's most manic times, he was not inclined to engage in this kind of media strategy. The Boss would be more direct, like telling his Al Yankzeera puppets to keep Don Zimmer off camera. Or instructing his PR man to prohibit Tony Kubek, the former Yankees shortstop and MSG contrarian, from interviewing any of his players.

The approach now is different. O'Neill watching batting practice is a security issue. Angels voices in a vacant booth are a threat to the Yankees empire. Broadcast crews, like fans, pay much more to enter. Then there's Girardi's meteoric ascent to literary critic.

Plenty of material.

For another book.

More fuel for the fire. What f**king morons.

Today's Daily News-

Plenty of material.

For another book.

What a f'n joke. The Yankees need to lighten up and not take themselves too seriously.

Paul O'Neill was a leader for this team during one of their greatest runs. The guy made one of the best catches ever tracking down that line drive in Game 5 1996 on a bum leg. Now the Yankees are banning him and his wife from certain areas of the Stadium?

What an embarassment.

Today's Daily News-

Plenty of material.

For another book.

Baseball went through this in the late 80's and early 90's too. Stuff like this almost killed the sport.

The Mets are doing it too, not supplying copies of the NYPost and NYDN in the clubhouse, only bland USA Today.

Overbearing and paranoid are terrible ways to conduct a business.

Have, and I loved it.But it still doesn't have that feeling of home yet.Even the creatures sound out of sync from time to time.I think it will take some time before that old feeling of home field advantage come back..

It's akin to moving into your first place on your own after growing up in your mama's house for 20 years. It's shiny, new but it doesnt have the feeling of HOME just yet until you get used to it. Same with New Yankee stadium, by July we'll all be used to it and it will feel just like home. I just hate the fact that the Stadium is so empty, last night was pathetic ( yeah I know it was raining but still its Yankees/Redsox for fukks sake!!!!)

Look@ all the empty seats, and those arent even the 1 k seats, those are the $300 seats.

4338_70334707923_573382923_1730519_6745344_n.jpg

4338_70334837923_573382923_1730540_4719616_n.jpg

Just awful.

It's akin to moving into your first place on your own after growing up in your mama's house for 20 years. It's shiny, new but it doesnt have the feeling of HOME just yet until you get used to it. Same with New Yankee stadium, by July we'll all be used to it and it will feel just like home. I just hate the fact that the Stadium is so empty, last night was pathetic ( yeah I know it was raining but still its Yankees/Redsox for fukks sake!!!!)

Look@ all the empty seats, and those arent even the 1 k seats, those are the $300 seats.

4338_70334707923_573382923_1730519_6745344_n.jpg

4338_70334837923_573382923_1730540_4719616_n.jpg

Just awful.

Put on Baseball Tonight.. every stadium is half empty. Remember we're in a recession.

Put on Baseball Tonight.. every stadium is half empty. Remember we're in a recession.

:rolleyes:

You're like the most Homer of Homers, Yankee stadium is empty compared to how it used to be in the past, especially compared to how full it used to be for Yanks/Redsox. I know we're in a recession but the tkts @ Yankee stadium are ridiculous. The **** was empty as hell last night, it was embarassing. And they refused to let anyone move down to those EXPENSIVE EMPTY seats. I guess I could chalk it up to the RAIN & the DELAY, but I have a feeling that it wont change anytime soon. People can hardly afford those tickets.

By the way.. the Yankees are currently second in attendance, between the Dodgers and Phillies.

That is pathetic.

Recession or not.......NY is the biggest city and the tri-state region probably has 2-3x the population of any other city.

You said EVERY stadium was empty.

I am telling you that Philly is NOT.

You dont even go as far as Philly, just go to Queens, Citi Field has not been empty the games Ive gone this season. Let him keep believing the RECESSION is the reason noone goes to Yankee games

:rolleyes:

You're like the most Homer of Homers, Yankee stadium is empty compared to how it used to be in the past, especially compared to how full it used to be for Yanks/Redsox. I know we're in a recession but the tkts @ Yankee stadium are ridiculous. The **** was empty as hell last night, it was embarassing. I guess I could chalk it up to the RAIN & the DELAY, but I have a feeling that it wont change anytime soon. People can hardly afford those tickets.

The empty seats are a combination of 2 things. Obscene prices, which the Yankees have lowered (but still aren't in my price range) and obviously the recession, if you don't think that isn't playing any part than you really are stupid. And yes the stadium was empty last night because it didn't start till 9:30 and didn't end till 1 A.M on a Monday. Can't be too hard to understand. Besides the really expensive seats, the ballpark has been full, the attendance numbers show that.

You dont even go as far as Philly, just go to Queens, Citi Field has not been empty the games Ive gone this season. Let him keep believing the RECESSION is the reason noone goes to Yankee games

Mets have averaged less attendance than the Yankees. Lets not let actual facts get in the way. :rolleyes:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/attendance?sort=home_avg&year=2009&seasonType=2

Shea is 91% filled in 5th place

1. Boston 101.6

2. Philly 96.9

3. Cubs 95.9

4. Angels 92.9

Both the Mets and Yankees have to be somewhat disappointed

The New York Yankees organization is a complete embarrassment right now. From the ownership, to the awful new Stadium right to the actual product on the field.

It's a sickening feeling because my hands are tieD. I cant just stop rooting for them...even with them representing everything that is wrong in sports.

If they were winning, it might be easier...but this team hasnt won a playoff series in 5 years. Multiply by a Moseleum that is half empty every night...you have one ticked off fanbase.

FACT: Yankees average more people than the Mets.

That is not difficult to do, when you have more seats.

FACT-The Mets are actually selling a greater percentage of their total seats than the Yankees.

Opinion-Who cares, except for you who seems to have to have a knee jerk reaction to any Yankee opinion that does not agree with your own.

Shea is 91% filled in 5th place

1. Boston 101.6

2. Philly 96.9

3. Cubs 95.9

4. Angels 92.9

Both the Mets and Yankees have to be somewhat disappointed

Kind of off topic, but it's these numbers that will someday force the Red Sox to build a bigger ballpark.

Archived