I need help choosing a puppy

Pragmatic Bus

For shepherds you want: confidence, not fear. Fear biting can happen with this breed. I have a shepherd and she is extremely protective but she's very confident and we've never had an unjustified bite (she did bite a dude who tried to walk in my front door when I stupidly left it unlocked and tore the back of his jeans off as he was high-stepping down the street).

If you see any fear at all from a shepherd you must AVOID.

I think this is true with any breed.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
what is the deal with some of these people who turn in dogs because the dogs dont like other dogs. is it that much of a pain in the butt?

It is a pita but manageable.. it's when your dog is reactive to people that you have a real problem.

Believe me, pb.. people turn dogs in for far less than dog aggression.. just ask any shelter. :(

It is a pita but manageable.. it's when your dog is reactive to people that you have a real problem.

Believe me, pb.. people turn dogs in for far less than dog aggression.. just ask any shelter. :(

the shelters around my area only have dogs that are strays. they have no history on them, they dont even know there names.

the shelters around my area only have dogs that are strays. they have no history on them, they dont even know there names.

Theres bound to be a good dog in there somewhere.

Youre supposed to name the dog. My dogs name was Giselle. F that, I renamed her Tasha.

Says the man with a Bichon Frise. :roll:

btw, that coat she's wearing keeps the dog from overheating in the summer. It's called a cool coat.. made of chamois. You soak it in cold water and it stays cool for hours.. keeps the dog's temp down.

No idea what you are talking about. The only dog I ever bought is an Australian Shepherd. :winking0001:

And if you want a purebred, you can easily find breed specific rescue organizations.

This is very true. My father bought a farm in Upstate NY when he retired and does Great Dane, Doberman and Race Horse rescue. He houses the animals and has a group of people help him place them in homes. My father also trains these dogs to be companion dogs so they are easier to place. If you are hell bent on buying a pure bred dobe, this is the breeder my dad has worked with for about 25 years and gets his shutzhund dogs from... Kimbertal Kennels. Really nice dogs from here. When he started training in the 60's he used German sh.'s, but the amount of hip dysplasia in the group made it hard to keep the dogs going.

This is very true. My father bought a farm in Upstate NY when he retired and does Great Dane, Doberman and Race Horse rescue. He houses the animals and has a group of people help him place them in homes. My father also trains these dogs to be companion dogs so they are easier to place. If you are hell bent on buying a pure bred dobe, this is the breeder my dad has worked with for about 25 years and gets his shutzhund dogs from... Kimbertal Kennels. Really nice dogs from here. When he started training in the 60's he used German sh.'s, but the amount of hip dysplasia in the group made it hard to keep the dogs going.

No offense, Crusher.. Kimbertal is a commercial puppy mill. I live 40 minutes from that place.. I know them very very well. Any respected Doberman person cringes when they hear somebody got their Dobe from Kimbermill, I mean Kimbertal.

No offense, Crusher.. Kimbertal is a commercial puppy mill. I live 40 minutes from that place.. I know them very very well. Any respected Doberman person cringes when they hear somebody got their Dobe from Kimbermill, I mean Kimbertal.

No offense taken.

Shepherds shed a ton too. But I bought The Furminator - that thing is effing amazing. ZERO shedding if you brush her every week (which I do).

GSDs are gorgeous!

I have a 13 yr old flatcoat retriever and even with the Furminator I curse the shedding. I can literally brush her for an hour and she still keeps shedding. Friggin' undercoat! Certain times of the year are worse than others, of course. Still, it drives me insane. When she passes, I vowed never to own another heavy shedding dog

why not just shave there hair off??.. i can understand if its winter but down here the heat makes long hair dogs shed out of control
It's there for a reason and serves a purpose. They molt - a wolf DNA thing. It insulates as well as cools them. Dogs die in the heat without it.

My boy, Bela (named after the great Bela Lugosi):

dsc03809.jpg

Husky/Dobie/Coonhound. He was all skeleton at five months old when he came into my life. He'll be a handful until the end, 10 this July. His ears would have stood up straight if he wasn't starved and compromised as a puppy, so he's floppy-eared. For all of the times I've gotten black eyes and fukked up knuckles trying to control him, he's aces. Relationships with dogs transcend language. He's a great dog. All dogs are great. They're cognizant. I love Bela to pieces.

It's there for a reason and serves a purpose. They molt - a wolf DNA thing. It insulates as well as cools them. Dogs die in the heat without it.

My boy, Bela (named after the great Bela Lugosi):

dsc03809.jpg

Husky/Dobie/Coonhound. He was all skeleton at five months old when he came into my life. He'll be a handful until the end, 10 this July. His ears would have stood up straight if he wasn't starved and compromised as a puppy, so he's floppy-eared. For all of the times I've gotten black eyes and fukked up knuckles trying to control him, he's aces. Relationships with dogs transcend language. He's a great dog. All dogs are great. They're cognizant. I love Bela to pieces.

Cool Dog. Looks sorta regal.

I had a Boxer growing up. Great, loyal, gentle dogs that look intimidating. The only drawback is that they tend to drool from those big jowls.

Great call. Boxers are fiercely loyal and gentle as can be. The only drawback is that they need a ton of exercise so if you don't have time to take them outside for hours at a time don't bother getting one.

Disclaimer: Had a Boxer for 12 years.

Archived