TJ for Braylon very possible

leonwash29

BRAYLON STILL POSSIBLY GOING TO THE BIG APPLE?

Posted by Mike Florio on May 4, 2009, 1:02 p.m. EDT

In the days and weeks preceding the 2009 draft, there were many rumors and reports linking Browns receiver Braylon Edwards to the New York Giants.

In the end, the Giants opted to address the void created by the release of receiver Plaxico Burress by drafting wideout Hakeem Nicks.

But Edwards still might end up in New York. Tony Grossi of the Cleveland Plain Dealer recently floated the possibility of the Browns sending Braylon to the Jets in a trade that would reunite running back Thomas Joneswith Browns coach Eric Mangini.

The disclosure came in response to a reader question regarding the possibility of the Jets cutting Jones, who is skipping offseason workouts apparently due to displeasure with his contract.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do it now. Shonn Greene is going to be a better back than Jones and is also the perfect compliment to Leon Washington, more so than Jones. Greene will wear down the defense running North to South while Washington will run around them. He is no "Dancing Bear" as some here have liked to use that term when describing Jones.

giving up jones may not be so bad, there are still some quality running back who may be a ble to do well in "The Stable" of running backs that the jets will employ.

names like

Edgerrin James

Rudi Johnson

Duece McAllister

or perhaps they can just lose him and use Washington, Greene, Richardson, and Woodhead

On paper it looks great. IMO it is possible that Greene could turn out to be the best RB in this draft. As a RB he is excellent.

Few problems with it. As pointed out over the weekend Green can't catch, and is not a skilled pass blocker. Those things could come with time, but I don't think September is enough time.

From Ryan's comments it seems to me that Sanchez has a very strong chance to be the starter on opening day. Not sure I want to see the young franchise QB out there with no Blocking TE, and a RB who is sure to struggle in picking up a blitz.

Very tempting though.

Edwards for T. Jones and Brad Smith (the scary part is that, after the draft day heist, I actually think this is possible).

Yep. After the Jets traded their 2nd rounder & 3 scrubs for the 5th overall, it definately seems possible.

I don't like the idea of giving up more picks though.

We have to remember that Edwards will be an UFA. The franchise tag will be an option for Cleveland, but I doubt they're willing to commit the expense involved with the tag.

I also what another back on the team if Jones is gone. They can sign someone who's cut or a UFDA. Neither Greene nor Leon is a 20 carry back. Get each of them 12 to 15 carries and the 3rd with 10 and the Jets will be in good shape. A power running team like Rex wants needs 3 backs (just look at the Jints).

On paper it looks great. IMO it is possible that Greene could turn out to be the best RB in this draft. As a RB he is excellent.

Few problems with it. As pointed out over the weekend Green can't catch, and is not a skilled pass blocker. Those things could come with time, but I don't think September is enough time.

From Ryan's comments it seems to me that Sanchez has a very strong chance to be the starter on opening day. Not sure I want to see the young franchise QB out there with no Blocking TE, and a RB who is sure to struggle in picking up a blitz.

Very tempting though.

Greene would play on 1st and 2nd down and give way to Leon (though his blitz-pickup leaves something to be desired) or Richardson, who is a capable as a 3rd down back.

Greene would play on 1st and 2nd down and give way to Leon (though his blitz-pickup leaves something to be desired) or Richardson, who is a capable as a 3rd down back.

Leon's blitz pickup is not bad, everyone likes to blow that one play where he got overpowered out of proportion. That was also on Favre since he held the ball too long and was running around like a chicken with its head cut off back there. He's screwed up a few other times too, but overall he usually gets his man with a solid chip block, which is about all most RBs do. Not everyone is going to be a Clinton Portis type blocker as an RB. Hell, LT's blocks leave much to be desired, and people kept considering him the best RB for a long time. I need to watch more of AP, to know for sure about him, but I think he showed an interest and enthusiasm that leads me to believe he works on that part of his game and is good at it.

Braylon Edwards has all the potential in the world, but I have serious doubts on the guy. The thing is, for that price, it's worth a risk. As long as Braylon doesn't get a new contract this year, if he is awful he can just be cut anyway. I don't know that Edwards will ever be an elite WR, he somehow reminds me of the usual Bengal WR bust, like Peter Warrick and a few others. They look good and you think they'll be great, but then eventually everyone just gives up on them and they dissappear. Last year Braylon wasn't even in the top 30 of WRs, at least, stats wise. I drafted him on some fantasy teams and started him only a few weeks out of the year, preferring to scrape the barrel by matchup whenever I could.

Leon's blitz pickup is not bad, everyone likes to blow that one play where he got overpowered out of proportion. That was also on Favre since he held the ball too long and was running around like a chicken with its head cut off back there. He's screwed up a few other times too, but overall he usually gets his man with a solid chip block, which is about all most RBs do. Not everyone is going to be a Clinton Portis type blocker as an RB. Hell, LT's blocks leave much to be desired, and people kept considering him the best RB for a long time. I need to watch more of AP, to know for sure about him, but I think he showed an interest and enthusiasm that leads me to believe he works on that part of his game and is good at it.

Braylon Edwards has all the potential in the world, but I have serious doubts on the guy. The thing is, for that price, it's worth a risk. As long as Braylon doesn't get a new contract this year, if he is awful he can just be cut anyway. I don't know that Edwards will ever be an elite WR, he somehow reminds me of the usual Bengal WR bust, like Peter Warrick and a few others. They look good and you think they'll be great, but then eventually everyone just gives up on them and they dissappear. Last year Braylon wasn't even in the top 30 of WRs, at least, stats wise. I drafted him on some fantasy teams and started him only a few weeks out of the year, preferring to scrape the barrel by matchup whenever I could.

but what do you do then, it's the final year of his contract, do you franchise him them? do you let him play out the deal?

I didn't say he was the worst I've ever seen, but it could certainly use some improvement. As far as LT, when Leon gains 1,700+ yards from scrimmage and scores 15+ TD's, I'll turn a blind eye to the occasional missed block.

He absolutely is. At 5-10-1/2 and 227 lbs he is built to carry the ball 30 times a game.

Yes, but he might get a little tired breaking all of those tackles that he does. That is what was so great about T Jones. He went down so gently and easily. It kept him nice and fresh so he could get all of those carries and keep Leon on the sidelines. :rolleyes:

How is Green at picking up the blitz. Did he do that a lot in college? And he is more than capable of carrying the rock 20 times a game. He was a work horse in college.

In that event, do we try and find another RB. Chatman back maybe?

Yes, but he might get a little tired breaking all of those tackles that he does. That is what was so great about T Jones. He went down so gently and easily. It kept him nice and fresh so he could get all of those carries and keep Leon on the sidelines. :rolleyes:

I think we need to be worried because he won't have muscles like TJ. I mean how else would he break tackles?

I'll drive Jones to Cleveland myself...This is robbery from jets to Browns again,only Mangini could be dumb enough for this. Edwards,Cotch,Clowney,Stuckey...we are set for years. Also Greene > Jones. No brainer.

He absolutely is. At 5-10-1/2 and 227 lbs he is built to carry the ball 30 times a game.

Exactly. Greene is a workhorse who can carry the ball with ease 350 times a season if need be. However, with Leon Washington in house, I doubt he would be asked to carry it more than 275 times a game, keeping him even more fresh to barrel down defenses in the 4th quarter.

I think this deal could really make sense for both sides. What it would have to be, I'd imagine, is Jones, Brad Smith, and some sort of conditional 2010 pick for Edwards. Tannenbaum loves using conditional picks, and I think it's perfect in this case, because Edwards isn't a slam dunk. Two concerns I would have, though if the opportunity presents itself you have to pull the trigger:

1. Braylon Edwards just doesn't seem focused on being a football player. He's got his drop issues, and one opposing DB was quoted as saying during a game that he wanted to talk about acting and modeling after the game. You have to wonder if his interest in that stuff has anything to do with his lack of production.

2. Shonn Greene is awesome, but he's got issues in the passing game both with hands and protecting the QB. Given we have a young QB who will check down when necessary and we want to protect, do we really want him getting a ton of time before he works that stuff out?

The contract I guess is an issue as well, but I'm thinking more on the field stuff. Regardless, getting rid of a guy who is unhappy with his contract (Jones) a gadget guy who Mangini loves but doesn't seem like he'll ever put it all together as an NFL wideout (Smith) and a conditional pick that won't be much if he sucks could be worth it. It hurts depth just like the two draft day trades did and it's a gamble, but to get the new face of the franchise a potential #1 wideout along with adding somebody who has some size for the red zone and can be a deep threat it's probably worth the risk. Plus Braylon would have a better supporting cast here than in Cleveland IMO. So ultimately I say do it, but there still are some question marks.

BRAYLON STILL POSSIBLY GOING TO THE BIG APPLE?

Posted by Mike Florio on May 4, 2009, 1:02 p.m. EDT

In the days and weeks preceding the 2009 draft, there were many rumors and reports linking Browns receiver Braylon Edwards to the New York Giants.

In the end, the Giants opted to address the void created by the release of receiver Plaxico Burress by drafting wideout Hakeem Nicks.

But Edwards still might end up in New York. Tony Grossi of the Cleveland Plain Dealer recently floated the possibility of the Browns sending Braylon to the Jets in a trade that would reunite running back Thomas Joneswith Browns coach Eric Mangini.

The disclosure came in response to a reader question regarding the possibility of the Jets cutting Jones, who is skipping offseason workouts apparently due to displeasure with his contract.

Would it be at all possible to expand the deal a little to include Shaun Rodgers?

We are thin on the DL and Rodgers and Jenkins together - give Rexy both and then be able to not only have the two big boys fresh at the end of games but toward the end of the season as well. I know Rodgers expressed displeasure with Mangini early after the hiring. So would this deal work

NYJ Send:

Thomas Jones

Drew Coleman

Brad Smith

Eric Smith

2010 Second Round Pick

to Cleveland for

Braylon Edwards

Shaun Rodgers

It may make sense, Mangini gets more players that fit his system. We get the depth on the DL that we so desperately need and the #1 Receiver we covet. Plus it frees up our glut at the #3 and 4 receiver positions. Smith would start for Mangini, opposite Stallworth (if he plays)

dude id trade thomas jones for a pack of chicklets

I'm all for Jones for Edwards, however I do not get the criticism of Jones that is going around lately.

Uh, he was AFC's leading rusher and set the Jets single season TD record. I mean, I know he had a great O-line in front of him, but what more did you want last season?

Yes, he's 31, but did he show any sign of slowing down last season? Not at all.

And he probably had a higher % of carries than almost any #1 back and still didn't wear down.

Dude i just watched some highlights of his on youtube,this guy is amazing no question. He would be the best wr we've had since Walker/Toon. A guy that has made Revis look foolish on several catches,is a no brainer right?

Archived