TJ for Braylon very possible

leonwash29

Why is Greene incapable of carrying the ball 20 times a game?

Because he is a rookie who played no more than 12 games a year and hasn't had the benefit of an NFL offseason stength and conditioning program.

I wholeheartedly believe he'll be an everydown back in the future. BUT, because of his size there is a greater chance he'll hit a wall in December his rookie season. We've seen it before.

It's a bad move relying on a big rookie RB to be a 16 game season + postseason every down back.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jones like every other player in this game has his pluses and negatives. For our team and the way we're building it I truly believe Edwards is the best option. We need a stud WR out there to help create a longer field for our QB and our run game.

He absolutely is. At 5-10-1/2 and 227 lbs he is built to carry the ball 30 times a game.

Not in his rookie season.

Not when he's never played more than 12 games a year.

Let him carry the ball 30 times a game without the benefit of an NFL offseason strength and conditioning program and he'll likely be inactive by Thanksgiving.

Because he is a rookie who played no more than 12 games a year and hasn't had the benefit of an NFL offseason stength and conditioning program.

I wholeheartedly believe he'll be an everydown back in the future. BUT, because of his size there is a greater chance he'll hit a wall in December his rookie season. We've seen it before.

It's a bad move relying on a big rookie RB to be a 16 game season + postseason every down back.

Tell that to Adrian Peterson :rolleyes:

Tell that to Adrian Peterson :rolleyes:

Dude, you're smoking crack by invoking Peterson's name in relation to Greene.

Seriously.

I made a point about Greene and you counter by invoking the best RB prospect to enter the NFL in the last 25 years?

Seriously.

Incidently, they are completely different type of runners, with different builds. Seriously.

Dude, you're smoking crack by invoking Peterson's name in relation to Greene.

Seriously.

I made a point about Greene and you counter by invoking the best RB prospect to enter the NFL in the last 25 years?

Seriously.

Incidently, they are completely different type of runners, with different builds. Seriously.

232097-srsly_large.jpg

Oh, and just to add, TNJet, Adrian Peterson wasn't the same player the last 7 weeks of his rookie season.

First, he missed weeks 11 & 12 with injury, and rushed only once for more than 100 yards in his last 5 games. These were his carries in his last 5 games his rookie year:

In his previous 9 games, he carried 19 or more times in 6 games.

Oh, and just to add, TNJet, Adrian Peterson wasn't the same player the last 7 weeks of his rookie season.

First, he missed weeks 11 & 12 with injury, and rushed only once for more than 100 yards in his last 5 games. These were his carries in his last 5 games his rookie year:

In his previous 9 games, he carried 19 or more times in 6 games.

The simple fact we are talking washed up Jones for 25 yr old stud Edwards makes this point non existant imo,and should for you guys also. We could win with Woodhead all year if we get Edwards to catch from our qbs. Period.

Dude i just watched some highlights of his on youtube,this guy is amazing no question. He would be the best wr we've had since Walker/Toon. A guy that has made Revis look foolish on several catches,is a no brainer right?[/quote]

Since the Jets did not play the Browns last year (except for pre-season, which I hope is not your reference), I assume you are talking about the Dec 2007 game. Revis's rookie year. Edwards caught 3 passes in that game. His one TD was a nice one handed grab in the end zone. How did that make Revis look foolish? Maybe it was his other two catches in that game that constitute your "several catches".

The simple fact we are talking washed up Jones for 25 yr old stud Edwards makes this point non existant imo,and should for you guys also. We could win with Woodhead all year if we get Edwards to catch from our qbs. Period.

I don't disagree, but I do believe we should understand that going into this trade (if it happened) that there would be certain drawbacks.

yeah the preseason game where Braylon caught a poorly thrown ball with one hand,and the one from Revis' rookie year where he yet again made a one handed grab over Darrelles shoulder. Rookie or not,Edwards has posterized Revis twice,the only player to do that since revis has been here. Revis is a beast also,i love the guy just proving a point.

Jerome Bettis saw 44 touches in the last game of the season (for 217 yards) in his rookie year, ending up with 294 carries (and 26 receptions). Granted, he didn't get a ton of carries the first couple of games, but that's a heavy workload for a rookie and it didn't seem to affect him down the stretch.

Eddie George had 335 carries as a rookie starter (from Week 1) and finished with 20+ carries in 3 of his last 4 games.

Edgerrin James started all 16 games as a rookie and led the league in carries (369) and yards (1553) and caught 62 passes as well. He then added 20 carries in their postseason loss.

Curtis Martin had 368 carries as a rookie in 16 games, 4 of which saw him carry the ball over 30 times.

Not in his rookie season.

Not when he's never played more than 12 games a year.

Let him carry the ball 30 times a game without the benefit of an NFL offseason strength and conditioning program and he'll likely be inactive by Thanksgiving.

Who cares. He splits carries with leon, maybe we let Tony R run the rock 4-5 times a game and we're covered..

Not to mention that we can take almost any RB off the shelf and plug him into Jones spot without significant degradation..

I don't disagree, but I do believe we should understand that going into this trade (if it happened) that there would be certain drawbacks.

I dissagree,the simple answer to this equation is Leon Washington. A guy we prayed Mangini would give more touches too will get them. Only positive feedback can come of this,and chaos for opposing defenses. He should have had about 20 to 30 more carries each of his last 2 seasons and we would have scored even more points. He's a threat to score evrytime he has the rock. Greene would benefit from tat as well,avoiding the rookie wall you are implying about. It would be the most genious deal since we acquired Martin.:Typotux:

Lets say this, i'd put a whole lot more concern on starting our junior rookie qb than a rook rb. But everyone seems just fine with that idea.

Apples and oranges.

Sanchez won't be getting his ass beat up week in and week out like a running back will.

I like Greene. He'll be the Jets starting RB next year. But it's tough to expect him to be a 20+ carry RB for a 16 game season as a rookie.

Look at Chris Johnson last year for the Titans. He played 15 games and was given 19+ carries only 4 times. He averaged 15 carries in his 11 other games.

Guess what? 12 to 15 carries is what I said Greene should average.

Who cares. He splits carries with leon, maybe we let Tony R run the rock 4-5 times a game and we're covered..

Not to mention that we can take almost any RB off the shelf and plug him into Jones spot without significant degradation..

That pink sombraro is screwing with your brain. I want to get rid of Jones.

My only point is that the Jets would need to find a 3rd back (which won't be hard). Then people started talking about Greene being able to carry the rock 25 to 30 times a game as a rookie which is crazy.

I dissagree,the simple answer to this equation is Leon Washington. A guy we prayed Mangini would give more touches too will get them. Only positive feedback can come of this,and chaos for opposing defenses. He should have had about 20 to 30 more carries each of his last 2 seasons and we would have scored even more points. He's a threat to score evrytime he has the rock. Greene would benefit from tat as well,avoiding the rookie wall you are implying about. It would be the most genious deal since we acquired Martin.:Typotux:

Agree to disagree. I don't' think Leon is an every down back.

posting this again for SMC

Agree to disagree. I don't' think Leon is an every down back.

Me either thats why he'll split time with Greene. But everyone knows he can carry more on his shoulders then Mangini ever let him have.

Jerome Bettis saw 44 touches in the last game of the season (for 217 yards) in his rookie year, ending up with 294 carries (and 26 receptions). Granted, he didn't get a ton of carries the first couple of games, but that's a heavy workload for a rookie and it didn't seem to affect him down the stretch.

Eddie George had 335 carries as a rookie starter (from Week 1) and finished with 20+ carries in 3 of his last 4 games.

Edgerrin James started all 16 games as a rookie and led the league in carries (369) and yards (1553) and caught 62 passes as well. He then added 20 carries in their postseason loss.

Curtis Martin had 368 carries as a rookie in 16 games, 4 of which saw him carry the ball over 30 times.

Come one JH, you mentioned 2 HOFers, a Heisman Trophy Winner, and a top 5 draft pick.

Now if we are all willing to claim that Greene should have won the Heisman, or been drafted 5th overall, or go to the HOF, then I'm all for running him like the 4 you mentioned.

I pointed out Chris Johnson as a perfect example of how a top RB is carried along in his first year with the number of carries being limited.

My only point is that the Jets would need to find a 3rd back (which won't be hard). Then people started talking about Greene being able to carry the rock 25 to 30 times a game as a rookie which is crazy.

Ahhh... Ok.

My bad

Me either thats why he'll split time with Greene. But everyone knows he can carry more on his shoulders then Mangini ever let him have.

That's true. I do believe we need 3 RB and personally I think RB's are some of the most replaceable pieces on a roster when you have a good O-line.

It's incredibly rare for a back to carry the rock 25-30 times a game, period. That would equate to 400-480 carries in a season. More likely is that Greene would have to average 15-20 over the course of his rookie season, given Leon is going to get a fair share of carries as well. Probably when you average things out will be closer to 16 or 17, just less than 300 carries for the year. Given he had just over 300 last year and these about 300 would be spread over more games, that number sounds pretty safe.

Throw in a third back (Woodhead, Caulcrick, free agent) to take up maybe 5 carries a game and I think Greene would do fine carrying the ball this season. The real concern is what he does in the passing game, IMO.

Great deal for the JETS if it happens. If it goes down the NFL may investigate if Mangini for collusion. Seriously, TJ wants too much money and although Greene may have some growing pains with blitz pickup and pass catching Leon would definitely see the ball more often. Together, they should still make a productive pair of RBs.

Edwards is not my favorite receiver...but he is young and has talent...personally think he caught up in the WR fame last year...Pro Bowl in 2007...commercial for NFL Network...and all the rest...if he is willing to come here and get his act together...earn his next contract...may be a good move...some times a young guy who finally gets his due forgets the hard work that got him to play at that level... if he can turn it around here it definitely improves our WR situation.

Still the move makes sense for us even with some of the question marks...hope to see this deal get done...

posting this again for SMC

Posting this for TNJet (in response to CTM):

Leon will have to split carries with Greene. I suggested 12 to 15 carries for each. Heck, have Greene carry 15, Leon 10, and the 3rd stringer carry 5 to 10.

That's what I suggested. It's similar to what the Giants do and what the Titans did with Johnson. You have Greene carry 20+ a game and he's going to wear down his rookie season. It is not a rarity in the NFL.

It's incredibly rare for a back to carry the rock 25-30 times a game, period. That would equate to 400-480 carries in a season. More likely is that Greene would have to average 15-20 over the course of his rookie season, given Leon is going to get a fair share of carries as well. Probably when you average things out will be closer to 16 or 17, just less than 300 carries for the year. Given he had just over 300 last year and these about 300 would be spread over more games, that number sounds pretty safe.

Throw in a third back (Woodhead, Caulcrick, free agent) to take up maybe 5 carries a game and I think Greene would do fine carrying the ball this season. The real concern is what he does in the passing game, IMO.

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!

That was my only point. The Jets need a 3rd RB and let the bulk of the carries split between Greene and Leon.

Other than people who have him on their FF team, who gives a crap if Greene doesn't carry the ball 30 times a game?

There are two primary RB's and there will be a 3rd (whether it's Woodhead or Caulcrick or someone else).

I could not possibly care less if Greene doesn't get 350-ish carries on the season, no matter how much of a grind-it-out team we are.

Over the past few years, this logic has been thrown out the window. Players are different this day in age and rookie RB's are having a much larger impact than they have had in the past.

Adrian Petterson was mentioned, obviously he is special, but there are plenty of examples. Matt Forte, Chris Johnson, Steve Slaton, Marshawn Lynch are a couple of example off the top of my head that had very good rookie season and showed no signs of slowing down at all.

And I would assume him and Leon would split carries almost right down the middle which in the long run would save his legs anyway. And once again, I would imagine there would be a 3rd running back in the loop as well.

I pointed out Chris Johnson as a perfect example of how a top RB is carried along in his first year with the number of carries being limited.
Chris Johnson is far from a perfect comparison - he's 195 lbs. and had 236 carries as a senior. Greene is 235 lbs. and had over 300 carries last year.

Come one JH, you mentioned 2 HOFers, a Heisman Trophy Winner, and a top 5 draft pick.

Now if we are all willing to claim that Greene should have won the Heisman, or been drafted 5th overall, or go to the HOF, then I'm all for running him like the 4 you mentioned.

I didn't realize there was a direct correlation between draft position and ability to carry a heavy workload as a rookie.

I cited Bettis and George, because they are both big, 230+ lb. running backs, just like Greene, who saw a large number of carries as rookies without incident.

Edgerrin James was mentioned because he started the entire season, led the league in carries, and then ran the ball another 20 times in a playoff game - something you claimed was not possible.

Curtis Martin was a 3rd Round pick (just like Greene) and as far as him being a future HOFer, I don't think they started working on his bust in Canton the moment he was drafted.

Archived