TJ for Braylon very possible

leonwash29

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ESPN currently has a tease up on website saying 'Edwards at heart of Jets/Browns swap'..

anyone with subscription who can tell us????

It just cites a Q&A column by Tony Grossi of the Cleveland Plain Dealer that likely started all this speculation:

Hey, Tony: Thomas Jones is unhappy with the Jets and last season put up Pro Bowl numbers including 1,300 yards and 13 TDs. The Jets drafted Shonn Greene and already have Leon Washington. Any chance the Jets release Jones and he becomes the next Cleveland Jet? A two-headed monster pounding the rock in Cleveland would be a welcome sight. -- Aaron Howell, Canton.

Hey, Aaron: Rex Ryan knows that Mangini would scoop up Jones in a New York second if Jones were released. More likely is a future trade involving Jones and, yes, Edwards. You heard it here first.

thanks for the salient update..

whats your thoughts on root vegetables while we are at it

I just made a new potato dish that was quite good.

You take potatoes, onions and red onions. Slice and layer them in a oven safe dish (about five layers) and then add heavy cream about 3/4 of the way up, top with parmesan cheese and bake for about 30 minutes on 350.

I just made a new potato dish that was quite good.

You take potatoes, onions and red onions. Slice and layer them in a oven safe dish (about five layers) and then add heavy cream about 3/4 of the way up, top with parmesan cheese and bake for about 30 minutes on 350.

Thanks for sharing with us your scalloped potato recipe.

I prefer to saut

This would be a great deal. Anyone can run behind the Jets line, and rookie running backs have made great transitions. Rex and Tanny clearly believe we need a #1 WR. I say pick up Edwards, sign Plax and the Jets are in the superbowl. We go to a three back system alla the Giants, and there will be too many weapons for any team to deal with. There is no way TJ stays a jet and Leon can take more snaps now that Leonard can start taking the kick returns. Our defense is going to set the tone for the Jets in 2009, but they are going to need some rest, which means the offense has to be able to put together some first downs and move the ball down the field.

With the threat to run up the gut, around the tackles, and throw anywhere on the field the Jets will be unstoppable. All past rookie sensation quaterbacks have had a great o line, receiving options, and the complimentary run game. Sanchez clearly has the physical attributes, the mental confidence and intelligence, now lets give him the rest.

I know its a stretch to talk about adding two number ones; but, Edwards, Plax, Cotchery and Keller, c'mon? You can't double team both Edwards and Plax simultaneously. Edwards could be better than he ever was with Cleveland with another target like Plax out there. Cotchery would see number three corners. And because the Jets could so effectively stretch opposing defenses, the field would open up for Keller to wreak havoc across the middle and underneath.

Offensively the Jets biggest problem is being able to block seven or eight man rushes, which we can expect without a number one threat. But with this receiving corp we wont need a blocking tight end, or have much need for the running game to block for the passing.

Edwards for T. Jones and Brad Smith (the scary part is that, after the draft day heist, I actually think this is possible).

Get it done.

If this happens then Tanny should have his bust put in Canton, Mangini on the other hand should have his bust on the Gong show.

Thomas Jones was worth a third rounder two years ago. Edwards was worth a second, a fifth, and Dominik Hixon two weeks ago. This really isn't hard. The trade is ridiculously lopsided in our favor and would be so even if Jones was literally the only running back on our roster. And/or good.

To each his own. Its not like I dont agree with your way of viewing the situation. I just think my way of looking at it is more logical when we can simply keep TJ and try to get Plaxico. We havent run out of options here.

To each his own. Its not like I dont agree with your way of viewing the situation. I just think my way of looking at it is more logical when we can simply keep TJ and try to get Plaxico. We havent run out of options here.

Is Plaxico going to jail? Do we know for sure yet? Any time you can get a prospect like Braylon Edwards for a RB that is 32 yrs old and disgruntled with his contract, you do it.

slats, that was with Brett Favre as the Quarterback (averaging 23-25 carries a game), a veteran, a gunslinger. A guy who needs the ball in his hands to succeed. When you throw a rookie Quarterback like Mark Sanchez into the fire, the only way you're going to win is if you're a run first team and the Quarterback, for the most part, is there to manage the game. Take a look at the Ravens last year.

McGahee: 11 carries per game

McClain: 14 carries per game

Rice: 7 carries per game

Add that up and you've got an average of 32 carries a game, with Joe Flacco managing the rest of the time. That is going to be the EXACT same game plan that Rex Ryan is going to bring to New York with his rookie Quarterback. Expect the Jets number of rushing attemps per game with ther 1-3 backs to be between 30 and 40 per game.

You hit it right on the head. If Mark gets the nod and starts (which he will) they're not going to rely on his arm from jump unless he shows through the first half of the season that he's the next Rothlisberger (13-0 as a rookie). They're not going to trade a running back for a WR when they're going to have to rely on every last one of their Runningbacks throughout the year. This is another reason why a blocking TE is also more valuable at the moment then another WR. We have potential on our team for another Wideout atleast. We have NO blocking TE and we're supposed to be a run first type team.

Is Plaxico going to jail? Do we know for sure yet? Any time you can get a prospect like Braylon Edwards for a RB that is 32 yrs old and disgruntled with his contract, you do it.

You're not wrong with your approach. Please fellow Jet fans, dont think that I am disagreeing because I think you're wrong. I just think that the approach that we're taking this year would not allow for that trade to go down that way.

Given Woody's PSL situation, the Jets have no choice but to be in a "Win Now" situation, especially if they're also selling their tickets for the same amount of money that the Giants are selling theirs for (from what I understand).

They have the face that they're going to market (Sanchez) but the Jets still need to win football games, and when you are a run first team and you have the AFC leading rusher on your team and your most dangerous player in Leon Washington and you add a bruiser like Shonn Greene you dont trade TJ for a WR that is only as relevant as the rookie QB allows. We have one of the best offensive lines in the league, especially on the run. I normally would agree with this trade, if Brett was still our QB or if we had a more established situation at QB. Sanchez is going to have to rely heavily on the run.

Like I said, I just dont see this trade happening. If the trade did happen I feel like we would be getting our #1 WR....of course. I just think that we will have a problem at Runningback severely because now not only do you lose your AFC leading rusher, but you also lose your best blocker in the back field outside of richardson....on top of the fact that you still dont have a Blocking TE so you're just adding insult to injury....but hey, you still have a #1 WR right?

Afc leading rusher? thomas jones stinks... our o-line made him the afc leading rusher... what would have peterson doen behind that same line? def break the all time rushing record!! lol

Get it done! You must have pull, right?

You're not wrong with your approach. Please fellow Jet fans, dont think that I am disagreeing because I think you're wrong. I just think that the approach that we're taking this year would not allow for that trade to go down that way.

Given Woody's PSL situation, the Jets have no choice but to be in a "Win Now" situation, especially if they're also selling their tickets for the same amount of money that the Giants are selling theirs for (from what I understand).

They have the face that they're going to market (Sanchez) but the Jets still need to win football games, and when you are a run first team and you have the AFC leading rusher on your team and your most dangerous player in Leon Washington and you add a bruiser like Shonn Greene you dont trade TJ for a WR that is only as relevant as the rookie QB allows. We have one of the best offensive lines in the league, especially on the run. I normally would agree with this trade, if Brett was still our QB or if we had a more established situation at QB. Sanchez is going to have to rely heavily on the run.

Like I said, I just dont see this trade happening. If the trade did happen I feel like we would be getting our #1 WR....of course. I just think that we will have a problem at Runningback severely because now not only do you lose your AFC leading rusher, but you also lose your best blocker in the back field outside of richardson....on top of the fact that you still dont have a Blocking TE so you're just adding insult to injury....but hey, you still have a #1 WR right?

That's the thing. Thomas Jones is a decent back, but I honestly don't think he's phenominal by any stretch. We had a hell of a run blocking OL last year, and they're all returning. The Giants had one of the best rushing attacks with Ward, Bradshaw, and Jacobs. Ward and Bradshaw were respective nobodies, and Jacobs is a good bruising back but by no means all world himself. A solid OL makes average RB's look great. If Green can improve his blocking and we add another serviceable vet to go with Washington, I think we'd be in much better shape with that plus Edwards than Jones plus a guy in Jail.

Afc leading rusher? thomas jones stinks... our o-line made him the afc leading rusher... what would have peterson doen behind that same line? def break the all time rushing record!! lol

Yes, the o-line made him the AFC rushing leader, no doubt. However, its not like we're talking about replacing him in this "3 headed monster" of RB's that we currently have either. He may stink to you but I could name you quite a few RB's that I would take TJ over on any given sunday. If we make the trade then sweet, all im saying is we better have a replacement that is either as good as TJ or as great as Peterson since you threw his name into the mix lol.

That's the thing. Thomas Jones is a decent back, but I honestly don't think he's phenominal by any stretch. We had a hell of a run blocking OL last year, and they're all returning. The Giants had one of the best rushing attacks with Ward, Bradshaw, and Jacobs. Ward and Bradshaw were respective nobodies, and Jacobs is a good bruising back but by no means all world himself. A solid OL makes average RB's look great. If Green can improve his blocking and we add another serviceable vet to go with Washington, I think we'd be in much better shape with that plus Edwards than Jones plus a guy in Jail.

These are all great points that you've made, but I think you're not picking up on some of the points that I've made. Woody wants/needs to start winning now. The jets are not considered a "rebuilding" team right now. We had more probowlers than any other team if im correct. We have a couple pieces missing here and there (mainly depth). We fixed our 2nd CB issue, we fixed our Safety issue, we fixed our RB issue, we may have fixed our QB issue. All we're looking for is to fix our Blocking TE and our WR issues. I believe our TE issue can be fixed with a hybrid TE or an undrafted TE and I believe that our answer to our WR issue is sitting on our bench (clowney). Stuckey is a legit slot. We do not need to interfere with our backfield by putting a rookie on the field for a WR that quite frankly is living off of success of 2 years ago. People may say that TJ sucks or atmost "decent" but you know what...his decent azz took advantage of what was given to him by the O-line and he was an allstar for the Jets. He made me eat my words last year when I talked **** about his 1 TD season and I must give him his props. I'm not saying to restructure the contract....but im saying that he's much more valuable to this team than many give him credit for at this time. The O-line can create the holes but the eye of the RB has to recognize it.....TJ complements the O-line, and for a RB thats not really big if you hit him up top more often than not he'll break that tackle. He's good in his own way. Not great...but more than decent...and I dont think trading him because he wants to get paid is the best thing to do. You trade players like Cutler when they dont want to play for that team, you trade players like Ocho Cinco when they dont want to play for that team...you dont trade players like Jones that simply wants to get more money. he's not saying that he doesnt want to play for the Jets...he just knows that there's only but a couple years left in him and now he understands that.

Edwards is good...more than decent. I just wouldnt trade TJ for him without having another replacement. We trade him and Greene gets hurt for the year we're in the backfield with Leon as the main starter which means that we cant have him on the field doing other things for us that he does great. I'm telling you, more likely than not...it wont end well if we were to trade TJ.

These are all great points that you've made, but I think you're not picking up on some of the points that I've made. Woody wants/needs to start winning now. The jets are not considered a "rebuilding" team right now. We had more probowlers than any other team if im correct. We have a couple pieces missing here and there (mainly depth). We fixed our 2nd CB issue, we fixed our Safety issue, we fixed our RB issue, we may have fixed our QB issue. All we're looking for is to fix our Blocking TE and our WR issues. I believe our TE issue can be fixed with a hybrid TE or an undrafted TE and I believe that our answer to our WR issue is sitting on our bench (clowney). Stuckey is a legit slot. We do not need to interfere with our backfield by putting a rookie on the field for a WR that quite frankly is living off of success of 2 years ago. People may say that TJ sucks or atmost "decent" but you know what...his decent azz took advantage of what was given to him by the O-line and he was an allstar for the Jets. He made me eat my words last year when I talked **** about his 1 TD season and I must give him his props. I'm not saying to restructure the contract....but im saying that he's much more valuable to this team than many give him credit for at this time. The O-line can create the holes but the eye of the RB has to recognize it.....TJ complements the O-line, and for a RB thats not really big if you hit him up top more often than not he'll break that tackle. He's good in his own way. Not great...but more than decent...and I dont think trading him because he wants to get paid is the best thing to do. You trade players like Cutler when they dont want to play for that team, you trade players like Ocho Cinco when they dont want to play for that team...you dont trade players like Jones that simply wants to get more money. he's not saying that he doesnt want to play for the Jets...he just knows that there's only but a couple years left in him and now he understands that.

Edwards is good...more than decent. I just wouldnt trade TJ for him without having another replacement. We trade him and Greene gets hurt for the year we're in the backfield with Leon as the main starter which means that we cant have him on the field doing other things for us that he does great. I'm telling you, more likely than not...it wont end well if we were to trade TJ.

Personally I think trading Jones for Edwards is a win now move as well as a move for the future. TJ is 32 years old. As nice of a season he had last year, history shows he is far more likely to have a severely rapid decline right now or get injured. 32 year old backs generally do not succeed in the NFL. So getting ANY kind of value for him right now IMO is a win now move. A so so vet who gets cut by June 1st would do just fine with Green and Washington in my opinion. Just as well as Jones would. So again I think this trade makes us better immediately in all phases.

Personally I think trading Jones for Edwards is a win now move as well as a move for the future. TJ is 32 years old. As nice of a season he had last year, history shows he is far more likely to have a severely rapid decline right now or get injured. 32 year old backs generally do not succeed in the NFL. So getting ANY kind of value for him right now IMO is a win now move. A so so vet who gets cut by June 1st would do just fine with Green and Washington in my opinion. Just as well as Jones would. So again I think this trade makes us better immediately in all phases.

Good point. Replace Jones with someone just as good and I say that this should be a done deal. if there's nothing in FA then I say no especially with this being Sanchez first year. I wouldnt want a Rookie franchise QB to rely on a rookie RB that cant block at the moment. Go and ask Steve Young how his career ended (RB Missing a key block), or ask David Carr how did 76 sacks feel his rookie season (he'll tell you that it'll end your career before it starts). This is more than just yards, carries and #1 WR's my friend.

I have no love for TJ at this point other than his cheap salary, ability to hold onto the football, and his ability to pick up blitzers and take a beating. Notice I didn't mention running or receiving skills in there anywhere.

But he's 30. Turns 31 in August. Certainly not 32.

So we complete the trade and sign Duece McAllister to show Greene the way. When Duece was given the ball he showed up last year. He and Greene can share carries with Washington having his moments and midway through the year we'll see if Greene is ready to take over as the featured back. This allows us to take Edwards and our run game will be better than the year before.

SFJ sez; the last line of this blog is the most idiotic thing I've read in years-like the Jets are gonna release the AFC's 2008 leading rusher....

Tony Grossi of the Cleveland Plain Dealer suggests the dealing between the Jets and Browns might not be over.

Grossi said he believes a swap of Thomas Jones for Braylon Edwards would make sense for both teams. Jones and Edwards are both unhappy with their contracts. Jones has sat out all of the Jets' voluntary workouts after leading the AFC in rushing with 1,312 yards last season. The Jets traded up in the third round to draft Iowa RB Shonn Greene and they also have Leon WashingtonLeon Washington in the backfield.

Edwards has been linked to trade rumors for months, but stayed put on draft weekend. The Jets and Browns made a deal on day one for Gang Green to move up and select Mark Sanchez with the fifth pick. Then the Browns used two second-round picks on receivers -- Brian Robiskie (Boston College) and Mohammed Massaquoi (Georgia). The teams apparently have a good relationship with ex-Jets head coach Eric Mangnini now running the show in Cleveland.

Grossi also says that if the Jets released the disgruntled running back, "Mangini would scoop up Jones in a New York second ..."

Yeah, SFJ, the Jets outright releasing TJ is as likely as Woody firing Rex before the season starts and re-hiring Herm to coach the team.

That would be a funny April Fools joke...

Yeah, SFJ, the Jets outright releasing TJ is as likely as Woody firing Rex before the season starts and re-hiring Herm to coach the team.

yea after writing that I'm sitting here just waiting for someone to bring Chad Pennington's name (and his release last summer) into the conversation

So we complete the trade and sign Duece McAllister to show Greene the way. When Duece was given the ball he showed up last year. He and Greene can share carries with Washington having his moments and midway through the year we'll see if Greene is ready to take over as the featured back. This allows us to take Edwards and our run game will be better than the year before.

Duece is a liability. He'll get hurt and be on IR for the rest of the damn year. That is not a guy you replace TJ with. We atleast know that TJ keeps himself in superb shape and isnt prone to injury.

Im not saying that we shouldnt get Edwards, but I really think that the "trading TJ" piece is not as easy as one would say on a forum...especially if the result of that trade is to have big Duece as a replacement.

Archived