TJ for Braylon very possible

leonwash29

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Says who? Sportswriters?

Says Rex Ryan, who has said numerous times he wants an "all weather offense" and that his definition for an "all weather offense" is to run the ball and run the ball effectively. He wants the same exact style as he had in Baltimore, it is no secret.

Browns Sign Furrey

Posted by Mike Florio on May 5, 2009, 7:03 p.m.

As rumors of a potential trade of receiver Braylon Edwards continue to circulate, the Browns have added another pass catcher to the roster for 2009.

The team has announced that veteran wideout Mike Furrey has agreed to terms.

The six-year NFL veteran has spent the past three years with the Lions. He played for the Rams the three seasons before that.

His best season came in 2006, during which he caught 98 passes for 1,086 yards and six touchdowns.

Furrey

Browns Sign Furrey

Posted by Mike Florio on May 5, 2009, 7:03 p.m.

As rumors of a potential trade of receiver Braylon Edwards continue to circulate, the Browns have added another pass catcher to the roster for 2009.

The team has announced that veteran wideout Mike Furrey has agreed to terms.

The six-year NFL veteran has spent the past three years with the Lions. He played for the Rams the three seasons before that.

His best season came in 2006, during which he caught 98 passes for 1,086 yards and six touchdowns.

Furrey

Signing Fuerry and drafting 2 WR in the 2nd round could be an indication that they are going to move Edwards.

The two rookie receivers can possibly mean that but not adding Fuerry. He hasn't done **** since that one year he blew up.

The two rookie receivers can possibly mean that but not adding Fuerry. He hasn't done **** since that one year he blew up.

He was teh sh!t on the Dragons, though.

Where's ladyjet128 to back me up?

For the record, I think the Browns are probably gearing up to move Edwards, and Furrey could be part of the picture. Rookie WR's can't be counted on immediately, but Furrey could help fill a short term void.

He was teh sh!t on the Dragons, though.

Where's ladyjet128 to back me up?

For the record, I think the Browns are probably gearing up to move Edwards, and Furrey could be part of the picture. Rookie WR's can't be counted on immediately, but Furrey could help fill a short term void.

I hope your right, man. I want Edwards just as much as you do. I don't think we can go to war with Brad Smith.

Two years ago he did have 61 receptions and the year before he had 98 and what makes these numbers even better it was with the Lions.

He fed off double teams from Calvin Johnson and Roy Williams.

Couple of thoughts:

What I don't get is why Edwards isn't a "Mangini guy" and the idiot is trying to trade a potentially game changing WR but Stallworth, a guy who is up for manslaughter, has not been cut yet. Doesn't make any sense to me.

However, the addition of Furrey, and if stallworth plays or not, they still have Patten and Cribbs (who is exactly like Brad Smith, i bet Mangini loves this guy)

Secondly, why stop at Braylon Edwards, we have other needs and if Mangini wants his guys (Brad Smith, Eric Smith, Drew Coleman, BT) then I would love to take Shaun Rodgers off his hands (who has said that he wants out)

Couple of thoughts:

What I don't get is why Edwards isn't a "Mangini guy" and the idiot is trying to trade a potentially game changing WR but Stallworth, a guy who is up for manslaughter, has not been cut yet. Doesn't make any sense to me.

However, the addition of Furrey, and if stallworth plays or not, they still have Patten and Cribbs (who is exactly like Brad Smith, i bet Mangini loves this guy)

Secondly, why stop at Braylon Edwards, we have other needs and if Mangini wants his guys (Brad Smith, Eric Smith, Drew Coleman, BT) then I would love to take Shaun Rodgers off his hands (who has said that he wants out)

If we could rid of those guys plus tj for edwards (who I don't think is great but better then we have) and Rodgers, that would be key.

Couple of thoughts:

I don't think Rodgers is unhappy anymore. I'm sure Mangini and him worked on their issues.

I will trade Brad Smith, Eric Smith, Drew Coleman and BT for either Rodgers or Edwards.

Says Rex Ryan, who has said numerous times he wants an "all weather offense" and that his definition for an "all weather offense" is to run the ball and run the ball effectively. He wants the same exact style as he had in Baltimore, it is no secret.

An "all weather offense" is a balanced offense, not run, run, run, punt. Flacco threw the ball for just under 3,000 yards passing. That is hardly run, run, run, punt.

I don't think Rodgers is unhappy anymore. I'm sure Mangini and him worked on their issues.

I will trade Brad Smith, Eric Smith, Drew Coleman and BT for either Rodgers or Edwards.

You're sure? It makes sense, but I'd have thought McDaniels and Cutler would have worked out their issues. Mangini never seemed that reasonable with guys that ended up in his doghouse.

You're sure? It makes sense, but I'd have thought McDaniels and Cutler would have worked out their issues. Mangini never seemed that reasonable with guys that ended up in his doghouse.

I hope your right. Jenkins and Rodgers will be UNSTOPABLE.

Cleveland paid Rogers a $5M signing bonus plus a $1M roster bonus last year. Then two months ago they paid him a $6M option bonus.

Translation: unless Cleveland is interested in $10M+ of dead cap space, and then not have any non-scrub NT's for Mangini's 3-4 "defense" he's not going anywhere.

Just read this story on Yahoo! news, seems like all the people reporting it are spreading the same "well it makes sense" speculation and nothing more. But then again, this is Mangini we are talking about so anything is possible.

Just to shed a little light on this subject.

I was reading JI and some posters on here as well, and a lot of people seem upset about a possible deal for a couple reasons. First, calling Braylon Edwards a prima donna. I can assure you he is not. Last year was a bad year for the Cleveland Browns, quarterbacks were getting hurt left and right they had no offensive line and he dropped 16 passes, by comparison Calvin Johnson dropped 12. The way in which Edwards is used is to spread the field and go deep and a lot of these drops were off the fingertips, which if the catch was made would have made SC top 10 plays. Everyone just remembers the wide open 65 yard TD catch that he dropped, which yes was bad, but this guy is a young potential star, he just needs consistency, just like every other wideout, and I guarantee he is less of a prima donna than Laverneous Coles was, and wont bring half the drama of Plaxico Burress as well as being onl 25-26 and can spend a good 5-6 productive years with Sanchez (as a security blanket)

Next, it seems that a lot of people dont want to send a second round pick to Cle for him becuase everyone seems to think that we are going to owe the Eagles a Second for Lito Sheppard. I will say it here, there is NO WAY, ZERO CHANCE the Eagles get a second rounder for Lito. The Jets did the same thing with the Lito trade that the Saints did with the Vilma trade. The only way they get a Second round pick or any other pick for that matter is if Lito plays in 85% of the games AND is resigned.

Now I know that everyone thinks he is resigned but the deal states that he is not resigned unless the Jets pick up his 10 million dollar option in March. It will be just like Vilma, the contract is a one year tryout and the Jets will renegotiate with him if they like him or cut him lose. Here is the link to this part of the deal. http://www.thejetsblog.com/2009/03/03/the-lito-sheppard-trade-a-work-of-art/

They will simply release him, just like they did with Brandon Moore and then resign him. I am sure there will be a gentleman's agreement in place, much like there was with the Saints and Vilma, if the Jets like him, I am sure he will be willing to do this to stay with the team that gave him a second chance. There is no way we pay him a 10 million dollar roster bonus, most QB's dont get that.

Not saying that trade with Clevand will happen, but if it does, everyone should be excited to get rid of a 31 yr old Running Back, when we have his clone in Shaun Greene for a former pro-bowl prototypical #1 reciever, there aren't too many of those out there.

I was reading JI and some posters on here as well, and a lot of people seem upset about a possible deal for a couple reasons. First, calling Braylon Edwards a prima donna. I can assure you he is not. Last year was a bad year for the Cleveland Browns, quarterbacks were getting hurt left and right they had no offensive line and he dropped 16 passes, by comparison Calvin Johnson dropped 12. The way in which Edwards is used is to spread the field and go deep and a lot of these drops were off the fingertips, which if the catch was made would have made SC top 10 plays. Everyone just remembers the wide open 65 yard TD catch that he dropped, which yes was bad, but this guy is a young potential star, he just needs consistency, just like every other wideout, and I guarantee he is less of a prima donna than Laverneous Coles was, and wont bring half the drama of Plaxico Burress as well as being onl 25-26 and can spend a good 5-6 productive years with Sanchez (as a security blanket)

Next, it seems that a lot of people dont want to send a second round pick to Cle for him becuase everyone seems to think that we are going to owe the Eagles a Second for Lito Sheppard. I will say it here, there is NO WAY, ZERO CHANCE the Eagles get a second rounder for Lito. The Jets did the same thing with the Lito trade that the Saints did with the Vilma trade. The only way they get a Second round pick or any other pick for that matter is if Lito plays in 85% of the games AND is resigned.

Now I know that everyone thinks he is resigned but the deal states that he is not resigned unless the Jets pick up his 10 million dollar option in March. It will be just like Vilma, the contract is a one year tryout and the Jets will renegotiate with him if they like him or cut him lose. Here is the link to this part of the deal. http://www.thejetsblog.com/2009/03/03/the-lito-sheppard-trade-a-work-of-art/

They will simply release him, just like they did with Brandon Moore and then resign him. I am sure there will be a gentleman's agreement in place, much like there was with the Saints and Vilma, if the Jets like him, I am sure he will be willing to do this to stay with the team that gave him a second chance. There is no way we pay him a 10 million dollar roster bonus, most QB's dont get that.

Not saying that trade with Clevand will happen, but if it does, everyone should be excited to get rid of a 31 yr old Running Back, when we have his clone in Shaun Greene for a former pro-bowl prototypical #1 reciever, there aren't too many of those out there.

Great point. Bottomline though, we need a replacement for TJ if he is traded.

We drafted his replacement, Shaun Greene. The guy is built to carry the load, but if you want a three headed RB attack, there are plenty of cheap options out there that can take 5 carries a game which is all our third back is going to get.

Huh?

They just traded up for a guy they called the top back on their draft board. Trading TJ away makes the trade for Greene worth it.

1) He dropped more than that one easy catch. He dropped LOTS and most were NOT of the "barely grazed his fingertips" variety. Those are not drops. Those are incomplete passes. I watched every awful Cleveland game because his sorry ass was on my fantasy team. He dropped a lot of easy catches.

2) If Greene is a clone of Thomas Jones then Tannenbaum should be pantsed, tarred, feathered, fired, then have the piss beat out of him. From what little I've seen of him, he hits the hole without stutter-stepping and as a result has far more power to break tackles and keep running. He also has enough power to push a LB'er back when he has that running start. I once saw Jones push a CB out of the way.

Other than that I agree, particularly with regards to Lito. Zero chance they pay him a $10M roster bonus unless there is absolutely going to be no salary cap (though the CBA deadline is probably going to be after the bonus is due, so go back to the part that says no way they're paying him that).

1) He dropped more than that one easy catch. He dropped LOTS and most were NOT of the "barely grazed his fingertips" variety. Those are not drops. Those are incomplete passes. I watched every awful Cleveland game because his sorry ass was on my fantasy team. He dropped a lot of easy catches.

2) If Greene is a clone of Thomas Jones then Tannenbaum should be pantsed, tarred, feathered, fired, then have the piss beat out of him. From what little I've seen of him, he hits the hole without stutter-stepping and as a result has far more power to break tackles and keep running. He also has enough power to push a LB'er back when he has that running start. I once saw Jones push a CB out of the way.

Other than that I agree, particularly with regards to Lito. Zero chance they pay him a $10M roster bonus unless there is absolutely going to be no salary cap (though the CBA deadline is probably going to be after the bonus is due, so go back to the part that says no way they're paying him that).

agree, not a edwards fan,,i say give Ariz a #2 and a #4 for Boldin..

While I will agree he dropped some catchable balls, a lot were challenging catches and with the amount of balls thrown his way, 16 drops, while still a large number could also be due to inconsistent quarterback play and a lousy OLine. I watched a lot of Cleveland games just because the bar I go to to watch games shows everything so I get to see a lot.

Maybe I should say that Shaun Greene is a clone of what Thomas Jones SHOULD be. Yes he hits the hole hard and with authority. He has a deceptive speed burst (much like Jones and needs to be respected for that) I guess in a lot of ways Johnathan Stewart of Carolina is a good comparison. Little bowling balls that like to hit and punish. He can be relied upon to start and contribute. I like TJ but was TJ as product of our great OLine last year or was he really that good. I tend to lean to the former, he never showed me much with the Bears and his first season with the Jets was anti-climatic (while he did rush for 1,000 - that is no longer the standard). He had a lot of potential but potential is just a word used to describe someone who hasnt done anything yet. Braylon Edwards is a proven commodity while his TDs went down and drops went up, but the QB play was horrendous and the OL was atrocious. He was thrown to 138 times (includes uncatchable) apparantly, caught 40% and converted over 30% into first downs. By comparison he was thrown to more ofter and caught 25 more passes in his probowl year. He is still only 26 - but it is a better situation having him on the team with Shaun Greene than having TJ and Shaun Greene on the team without Braylon

While Boldin is a great receiver dont get me wrong. I have loved the guy since his days at FSU and I HATE FSU, he is a special talent, but he is about to be on the wrong side of 30 - the way he plays with his physicality his body has taken a beating, not long before this guy breaks down. he is a possession receiver. We have that already with Cotchery, I am not saying that Cotch is better or as good as Anquan becuase he is not but they are similar receivers, strong, not overly fast but fast enough to be respected with great hands. Would I rather have Boldin sure, but not for 2 draft picks, when we could possibly get a guy who is bigger faster younger for cheaper. Boldin has been a product of always having a guy opposite him, or from being the third option when Bryant Johnson and Fitz were covered, however he is a great player but I just dont see him stretching the field like that for us because Cotch cant stretch it on the opposite the side to free him up.

While I will agree he dropped some catchable balls, a lot were challenging catches and with the amount of balls thrown his way, 16 drops, while still a large number could also be due to inconsistent quarterback play and a lousy OLine.

If a QB throws the ball to him mid-torso it doesn't matter if the QB is otherwise bad or not. That pass is a good one.

Here's something I found from a Browns beat writer that describes what I remember:

http://www.cleveland.com/pluto/blog/index.ssf/2008/10/cleveland_browns_biggest_letdo.html

...[in 2007] he produced 16 touchdowns -- and 58 of his 80 catches were good for first downs. He moved the ball, put points on the scoreboard. Edwards was like a cleanup hitter with lots of strikeouts, but also a monster share of home runs and RBI.

This season, it's been mostly pop-ups --
the ball popping out of his hands

In six games, Edwards has 10 drops, three more than anyone else in the NFL.

Keep in mind the NFL's statistic for drops is very conservative; most fans would credit Edwards with more.
But the real point is no one in the NFL is dropping more passes than No. 17 for the Browns.

To put it in context, Denver's Brandon Marshall led the NFL with 15 drops in 2007. In 2006, it was Terrell Owens with 17.

Edwards is on pace for 26!

If he were delivering touchdowns and big plays, it would be easier to accept. But in six games, he's caught balls in the end zone twice. He has one catch for more than 25 yards. More than half of his 307 yards receiving came in the New York game, when he connected with Anderson for 154 yards on five catches.

Anderson has thrown the ball to Edwards 49 times, more than anyone else on the team. The result is a mere 20 receptions.

Over and over, Anderson and offensive coordinator Rob Chudzinski have been giving Edwards chances to catch the ball, to make an impact. That's why it was so annoying to hear Edwards say he was frustrated in the Washington game because he was open a few times early in the game, and Anderson didn't pass to him.

He is on a team where no one else has more than one dropped pass, and he's missed 10.
He's on a team with a quarterback who loves to throw in his direction, with a coaching staff that believes in him and has protected him from criticism. He's on a team where he is the main guy, a role that Edwards has always said he wanted and deserved.

Why are the Browns 2-4?

Two reasons are Anderson's completing an NFL-low 49 percent of his passes, and having only two big receiving plays for 25 yards. But
Edwards is a major contributor to the struggles of the Browns and the quarterback.

If a QB throws the ball to him mid-torso it doesn't matter if the QB is otherwise bad or not. That pass is a good one.

Here's something I found from a Browns beat writer that describes what I remember:

http://www.cleveland.com/pluto/blog/index.ssf/2008/10/cleveland_browns_biggest_letdo.html

...[in 2007] he produced 16 touchdowns -- and 58 of his 80 catches were good for first downs. He moved the ball, put points on the scoreboard. Edwards was like a cleanup hitter with lots of strikeouts, but also a monster share of home runs and RBI.

This season, it's been mostly pop-ups --
the ball popping out of his hands

In six games, Edwards has 10 drops, three more than anyone else in the NFL.

Keep in mind the NFL's statistic for drops is very conservative; most fans would credit Edwards with more.
But the real point is no one in the NFL is dropping more passes than No. 17 for the Browns.

To put it in context, Denver's Brandon Marshall led the NFL with 15 drops in 2007. In 2006, it was Terrell Owens with 17.

Edwards is on pace for 26!

If he were delivering touchdowns and big plays, it would be easier to accept. But in six games, he's caught balls in the end zone twice. He has one catch for more than 25 yards. More than half of his 307 yards receiving came in the New York game, when he connected with Anderson for 154 yards on five catches.

Anderson has thrown the ball to Edwards 49 times, more than anyone else on the team. The result is a mere 20 receptions.

Over and over, Anderson and offensive coordinator Rob Chudzinski have been giving Edwards chances to catch the ball, to make an impact. That's why it was so annoying to hear Edwards say he was frustrated in the Washington game because he was open a few times early in the game, and Anderson didn't pass to him.

He is on a team where no one else has more than one dropped pass, and he's missed 10.
He's on a team with a quarterback who loves to throw in his direction, with a coaching staff that believes in him and has protected him from criticism. He's on a team where he is the main guy, a role that Edwards has always said he wanted and deserved.

Why are the Browns 2-4?

Two reasons are Anderson's completing an NFL-low 49 percent of his passes, and having only two big receiving plays for 25 yards. But
Edwards is a major contributor to the struggles of the Browns and the quarterback.

Ok well that shows me that through 6 games he had 10 drops and over the next 10 games only had 6 drops - while still not great it seems he figured something out and didnt hit the 26 drop mark. It also shows me that sometimes TOP receivers have this problem when there is no one else to throw the ball to (see Brandon Marshall with 15 (Denver had no one else) and TO the year prior (no one on the opposite side)) - Translation this was a problem early on, probably hearing footsteps, trying to do too much for the team, etc. However, he started to straighten it out. But I do not believe that he lead to the QB problems, Quinn was green beind the ears and nervous (I watched those games I am a huge ND fan) and Anderson is a one year wonder with suspect accuracy (reminds me of ol' high and wide Neil O'Donnell). Also shows me, when it says that no one else has a drop how much Braylon was relied upon because the offense was god awful and Winslow was as usual hurt all the time. But when Winslow was a viable number 2 option and Braylon didnt see a double team with safety help over the top he was a pro bowl player. He wont get that coverage in NY, because of the other guys on the roster (Washington, Stuckey, Cotch, Keller)

If Braylon comes here the transition for Sanchez will be that much easier and I bet the dropsies are a non issue because Cotch is about as solid a number 2 as you get not named Boldin - and add in guys like Clowney, Stuckey, Keller and Smith as 3 and 4 options and Braylon will excel.

I don't believe this trade is happening.

If Ryan's plan is to protect whoever the QB is by running, you're not trading Jones and leaving yourself with just Greene and Leon to carry that load.

Maybe if a RB came back from Cleveland something could happen. Jamal Lewis as a stopgap for a season might work. I just looked at their roster and there is no one else I'd even consider.

I heard the Giants stopped talking trade for both Edwards and Boldin. It wasn't because of the trade compensation. It was the contracts they were seeking that scared the Giants off.

I don't believe this trade is happening.

If Ryan's plan is to protect whoever the QB is by running, you're not trading Jones and leaving yourself with just Greene and Leon to carry that load.

Maybe if a RB came back from Cleveland something could happen. Jamal Lewis as a stopgap for a season might work. I just looked at their roster and there is no one else I'd even consider.

Thomas Jones for Braylon Edwards isn't robbery enough? Now you expect them to "throw in" Jamal Lewis? Unless they want more guys off the end of our roster I can't imagine I'd want to give up anything extra for Lewis.

Ok well that shows me that through 6 games he had 10 drops and over the next 10 games only had 6 drops - while still not great it seems he figured something out and didnt hit the 26 drop mark. It also shows me that sometimes TOP receivers have this problem when there is no one else to throw the ball to (see Brandon Marshall with 15 (Denver had no one else) and TO the year pryor (no one on the opposite side)) - Translation this was a problem early on, probably hearing footsteps, trying to do too much for the team, etc. However, he started to straighten it out. But I do not believe that he lead to the QB problems, Quinn was green beind the ears and nervous (I watched those games I am a huge ND fan) and Anderson is a one year wonder with suspect accuracy (reminds me of ol' high and wide Neil O'Donnell).

If Braylon comes here the transition for Sanchez will be that much easier and I bet the dropsies are a non issue because Cotch is about as solid a number 2 as you get not named Boldin - and add in guys like Clowney, Stuckey, Keller and Smith as 3 and 4 options and Braylon will excel.

You did read the part that said most people would credit him with more drops than that, yes? The "official" number is conservative. And if he's getting paid $8-10M per year like he probably wants, he's expected to catch those other ones that would be "good catch" types. Any fool with speed can outrun the defense and only catch passes that hit him between the numbers in stride.

I'm not even going to touch the baseless rationalization as to why you'd like to believe he dropped them (trying to do too much, hearing footsteps, or any other potential excuses).

Also, if he did in fact have only 6 drops (official or not), it goes along with the piddly 35 catches he did make. As in he had one "official" drop for every 6 he caught. That is still ridiculously awful, particularly for someone who will get paid like an elite top-5 WR. Including the worst spats of all the other receivers in the league, that's still good enough to be 5th-worst in the NFL. I'm sure if you dropped the worst 6-game stretch of those other 5 players, Edwards would still be dropping passes at the highest clip of anyone.

And that doesn't remotely absolve him "officially" dropping 10 passes in the first 6 games when he had only 20 actual catches. Even if you accept that all unofficial drops weren't really catchable (which no one other than Edwards' agent and family would swear to), he dropped one for every two he caught.

The reality, through all this, is he dropped more than that. So no matter how he's "ranked" in drops, whether it's #1 or #5 or whatever, he drops a motherload of very catchable passes.

And Calvin Johnson dropped 9 passes last year. He had the same excuses (no one remotely as good as Braylon Edwards on the team, team was always trailing, hearing footsteps, trying to do too much, or whatever). Meanwhile to offset those 9 drops, he managed to catch 78 from some pretty awful QB's in his own right. Edwards dropped 16 and caught only 55. It isn't even in the same ballpark.

He's got plenty of talent, and a brighter future ahead of him than Thomas Jones of course. But we're not in a situation where there are no receiving targets on the team to fork over $10M/yr for Braylon Edwards.

I like Edwards alot. Anyone watch that Giants game last year? He destroyed that whole team on just five catches. He plays the game 25 yards down the field, and the Jets are dying for a guy like that. Yes, he drops some, but that doesn't mean that he doesn't have to be double-covered on every play. And dropsies is correctable.

Archived