Michigan Cop about to be sued into justified oblivion

Doggin94it

If you've ever heard someone panic, then you know sometimes words that aren't so politically correct occasionally slip - unless your name is Sergeant Robert McFarlan.

Imagine you had an emergency and against your better judgment, a curse word slipped out in your state of panic. Now imagine the 911 operator hanging up on you three times without ever sending you an ambulance or even asking what your emergency is. Ridiculous? Well, that's exactly what happened to 17-year-old Adrianne Ledesma.

Lincoln Park, Michigan girl Adrianne arrived home to find her father, who had just undergone brain surgery, on the floor having a seizure. In a panic, she dials 911 - but the line rings with no answer. She hangs up and calls back, not aware that the call is recorded even before the operator answers.

She is heard on the recording saying "What the *****" as the line continues to ring and she becomes more and more upset. Just as she shouts this, the operator answers - the operator is Sgt. Robert McFarlan.

McFarlan proceeds to admonish the girl for cursing, possibly wasting precious life-threatening time, to which Adrianne responds "Send me a *****ing ambulance!"

McFarlan, being the prude that he is, hangs up the phone.

Adrianne calls back again and says, "Uh, are you going to send me an ambulance?"

McFarlan responds by saying, "Are you going to swear again you stupid a*s?!"

So the very thing the officer was admonishing the girl for he then does - and eventually hangs up on her again.

Adrianne calls a THIRD time and threatens to sue the officer, asking for his name. He calls her a buffoon, hangs up on her again, never asking her what the emergency is, and then finally calls the police department making Adrianne sound like a nutjob. He said, "I kept getting a 911 call from a filthy-mouthed girl who wanted a rescue. I never found out what it was and I was never able to transfer it over to you."

Never "able" to transfer it? Well, as the officer is making this call, Adrianna assigns her brother to watch her father and runs three blocks over to the nearest police station and guess who's there? Sgt. Robert McFarlan, who then ARRESTS her on charges that don't exist.

The girl's father eventually gets help - and Sgt. Prude gets just two weeks suspension without pay and has to attend a few training classes.

The video is below. Rest at ease - Adrianne and her father have hired an attorney.

watch?v=bNrA6OxMC40

I couldn't believe that Boomer Esiason today on Boomer & Carton actually backed the guy who hung up. I don't care what the person on the other line is saying, its not like they're saying "Come to Wendy's, they arn't serving me!", this is someone whose having a seizure and needs help.

He should be killed. If not, like the title said, sued so much that he has to sell all his blood and organs.

The guy should be sued/fired...all that stuff.

That said, the Policing profession interesting because it highlights the educational disparity between Americans.

This profession expects you to think like you have a PHD, but pays you like you like a mailman. These situations will continue because we can't pay Policemen more, and we can't demand they all pursue enough higher education to accept our differences in language, color, etc.

This cop was a knucklehead, and needs to be shown the door...but I feel for policemen who are hired in "off the street" and expected to provide support to people they may have NO experience relating to.

The guy should be sued/fired...all that stuff.

That said, the Policing profession interesting because it highlights the educational disparity between Americans.

This profession expects you to think like you have a PHD, but pays you like you like a mailman. These situations will continue because we can't pay Policemen more, and we can't demand they all pursue enough higher education to accept our differences in language, color, etc.

This cop was a knucklehead, and needs to be shown the door...but I feel for policemen who are hired in "off the street" and expected to provide support to people they may have NO experience relating to.

This has nothing to do with education levels. hell, you'd expect people without higher education to be less erudite.

It's just common sense - if your job is answering emergency calls in possibly life threatening situations, with no risk to you, your first concern is getting help to whoever is calling. Anything else is secondary. A police officer without common sense is a police officer who should be looking for another line of work, because a lack of common sense can be devastating when its welded to a badge and a gun.

I've been wronged by cops, but not all cops are bad. Just like there are good and bad Doctors, Plumbers, Lawyers and Message board owners. :tongue:

If this cop is a Sergeant, then hes obviously been in the police business a very long time and will likely lose his job over this mistake. I've talked to a few cops who basically tell me the same thing "at any given moment, they feel like they could lose their jobs and have their own dept after them"

This has nothing to do with education levels. hell, you'd expect people without higher education to be less erudite.

It's just common sense - if your job is answering emergency calls in possibly life threatening situations, with no risk to you, your first concern is getting help to whoever is calling. Anything else is secondary. A police officer without common sense is a police officer who should be looking for another line of work, because a lack of common sense can be devastating when its welded to a badge and a gun.

Seems to me that this guy has forgotten exactly what he is. A civil servant. It's his job to serve and protect, not get in a bad mood and judge someone because they seem agitated. I'm not the brightest bulb in the box, but I would think that most people who call 911 would be a little agitated, it being an emergency hot line and all.

Sad thing is their are a lot of officers who go out and risk their life's everyday and some narcissistic numb skull like this makes them all look bad. Though I do believe a Crispy Cream gift card could have prevented this tragedy from happening.

Archived