Manny Suspended for PEDs

nyjunc

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is a dumb question, but I'll ask anyway. ;)

Besides anobolic steriods, human growth hormones, etc., what other performance enhancing drugs are there? I'm just asking because if this silly GNC claim - are there over-the-counter supplements that are banned by mlb? If so, what are they? And, if you are unsure - can't you have your agent ask mlb? Shoot, send the query in writing just to cover your ass.

Gorilla Testosterone.

Half of the Mitchell Report was ****ing Yankees.

**** - I didn't just say f-uck...I'm just giving the Yanks their asterisks.

That was because Radomski and Mcnammee were looking to avoid prison terms and cooperated. If you think there weren't similar characters around every MLB team you're naive.

And suspect that George Mithcell as a director of the Sawx probably didn't kill himself to find out who the source may have been in Boston and suddenly cared aboutthe privacy of any of the Sawx listed on the 104.And now Ramirez being place on waivers in 2003 and not getting a long term deal seem clairvoyant, right? OR DId Epstein KNOW Ramirez was a user and kept hism mouth and checkbook shut and dumped his druggie ass on LA. Funny how a Yankee gets released, which make A-roid no less culpable. Just clear that Selig and Mitchell wanted to screw the Yankees, damn privacy they claimed those tests were taken under.

Again, assume EVERYONE is cheating.

This is a dumb question, but I'll ask anyway. ;)

Besides anobolic steriods, human growth hormones, etc., what other performance enhancing drugs are there? I'm just asking because of this silly GNC claim. Are there over-the-counter supplements that are banned by mlb? If so, what are they? And, if you are unsure - can't you have your agent ask mlb? Shoot, send the query in writing just to cover your ass.

Not a dumb question at all.

What I know of it, there are certain over the counter items (vitamins, elixirs, etc) which contain elements of banned substances, and that makes them off limits, also. They may not even enhance performance.

It is a rather grey area.

Phils RP JC Romero got busted by this type of shady area.

Yes, I'm sure Manny just started taking roids now. :rolleyes:

Oh, I agree but we can't say that.......yet. I'm sure it will come out.

But you see a common denominator here? TORRE!!!! He had his roid lads in NY and then Manny leaves Boston to join Torre in LA and he tests positive. :P

That was because Radomski and Mcnammee were looking to avoid prison terms and cooperated. If you think there weren't similar characters around every MLB team you're naive.

And suspect that George Mithcell as a director of the Sawx probably didn't kill himself to find out who the source may have been in Boston and suddenly cared aboutthe privacy of any of the Sawx listed on the 104.And now Ramirez being place on waivers in 2003 and not getting a long term deal seem clairvoyant, right? OR DId Epstein KNOW Ramirez was a user and kept hism mouth and checkbook shut and dumped his druggie ass on LA. Funny how a Yankee gets released, which make A-roid no less culpable. Just clear that Selig and Mitchell wanted to screw the Yankees, damn privacy they claimed those tests were taken under.

Again, assume EVERYONE is cheating.

I'm well aware of that.

It's hypocritical to start demanding asterisks on the Red Sox titles when it is public knowledge that a ton of Yankees were on the juice.

Everyone was on it. That's why I don't give a **** anymore. The mock public outrage over steroids in baseball is a ****ing joke. In baseball, if you get caught taking steroids, you're the devil. In football, no one gives a ****. It's all just media driven bull****.

Thank you. Maybe because lifelong Red Sox season ticket holder George Mitchell ran baseball's bull**** investigation.
Selena Roberts, former employee of the NY Times(owners of the Sawx), and current SI employee (owners of the Braves), will get abck to us all on this.

Again, no defense of A-rod. They're all cheats. Seems someone in MLB's hierarchy looked out for certain teams and screwed others when it came to waht was released and when. Some animals are more equal than others, like those who call Fenway Parck home.

Oh, I agree but we can't say that.......yet. I'm sure it will come out.

But you see a common denominator here? TORRE!!!! He had his roid lads in NY and then Manny leaves Boston to join Torre in LA and he tests positive. :P

Torre was a long time user of roids. Sadly it all went to his nose.

Not a dumb question at all.

What I know of it, there are certain over the counter items (vitamins, elixirs, etc) which contain elements of banned substances, and that makes them off limits, also. They may not even enhance performance.

It is a rather grey area.

Phils RP JC Romero got busted by this type of shady area.

Romero is suing GNC and MLB.Manny is taking his suspension and going on vacation, presumably to work out his menopausal hormonal issues.

I can play that game as well. Joba, Teixiera?

Who knows?

When you have a report that was supposed to be the culmination of a "thorough investigation" of steroid use in baseball and more than half the names in the report came from two teams and the guy in charge of said investigation is a lifelong fan and former employee of one of those team's arch rival and then when one out of 104 names of players who tested positive whose names were supposed to be private happens to be a player for the rival team of the lead investigator, something ****ing stinks and it's coming from Boston, as usual.

I am sure there is a problem in football but the difference between baseball and football is that football does not sweep the problem under the rug.

No, the difference is that the media sweeps the NFL's problems under the rug while starting a massive ****storm anytime an MLB player gets caught.

Selena Roberts, former employee of the NY Times(owners of the Sawx), and current SI employee (owners of the Braves), will get abck to us all on this.

Again, no defense of A-rod. They're all cheats. Seems someone in MLB's hierarchy looked out for certain teams and screwed others when it came to waht was released and when. Some animals are more equal than others, like those who call Fenway Parck home.

When Selena Roberts issues a retraction and apology to the Duke lacrosse players for the hatchet job she did to them for the NYT, then, maybe I'll read something that ugly hack bitch wrote.

The problem with this is that Pud Selig will be on all the networks today saying "Look the program is working"

It isn't

You are still having guys test positive 5 years later. That isn't a program that is working if you ask me.

You want something that will eliminate it all together ? Make is a full season suspension. Now granted the players union would probably never go for that but it MLB was really serious about ridding baseball of PED's then do it. Don't have @ss it.

First test: 1 year

Second test: Banned from Baseball

MLB needs to adopt a testing policy like they have in the Olympics or NFL. Unfortunately it is at the point where such baseball mega-stars are getting caught shake the integrity of the sport.

No, the difference is that the media sweeps the NFL's problems under the rug while starting a massive ****storm anytime an MLB player gets caught.

No, the difference is that nobody gives a crap about football records and baseball records are treated as hallowed accomplishments.

When you have a report that was supposed to be the culmination of a "thorough investigation" of steroid use in baseball and more than half the names in the report came from two teams and the guy in charge of said investigation is a lifelong fan and former employee of one of those team's arch rival and then when one out of 104 names of players who tested positive whose names were supposed to be private happens to be a player for the rival team of the lead investigator, something ****ing stinks and it's coming from Boston, as usual.

Gotcha. Its all a big conspiracy theory to bury the Yankees :rolleyes:

And who's fault is it that the person they put in charge of the investigation has enough "baggage" that his objectivity can be questioned? If it stinks, the smell is coming from the top.

And who's fault is it that the person they put in charge of the investigation has enough "baggage" that his objectivity can be questioned? If it stinks, the smell is coming from the top.

Selig is absolutely complicit in this.

I still would like Selig to explain to Brewers fans what he does with the luxury tax money the Yankees pay to him that he is supposed to spend on players but doesn't.

Gotcha. Its all a big conspiracy theory to bury the Yankees :rolleyes:

You're a blind homer if you don't think that things like The Luxury Tax and the Boston-Arizona Schilling trade weren't DIRECTLY a result of Yankee hating jealousy.

You're right though, those weren't a conspiracy. They were obvious and right out in the open for everyone to see.

No, the difference is that nobody gives a crap about football records and baseball records are treated as hallowed accomplishments.

Well, that explains Barry Bonds.

How about everyone else that's been crucified?

You're a blind homer if you don't think that things like The Luxury Tax and the Boston-Arizona Schilling trade weren't DIRECTLY a result of Yankee hating jealousy.

You're right though, those weren't a conspiracy. They were obvious and right out in the open for everyone to see.

Wow, you have a pretty myopic view of the sport.

When Selena Roberts issues a retraction and apology to the Duke lacrosse players for the hatchet job she did to them for the NYT, then, maybe I'll read something that ugly hack bitch wrote.

JASON WHITLOCK COMMENTARY

Roberts’ book on A-Rod should be questioned

Not long ago, sports writer Selena Roberts compared the Duke lacrosse players to gang members and career criminals.

She claimed that the players’ unwillingness to confess to or snitch about a rape (that did not happen) was the equivalent of drug dealers and gang members promoting antisnitching campaigns.

When since-disgraced district attorney Mike Nifong whipped up a media posse to rain justice on the drunken, male college students, Roberts jumped on the fastest, most influential horse, using her New York Times column to convict the players and the culture of privilege that created them.

Proven inaccurate, Roberts never wrote a retraction for the columns that contributed to the public lynching of Reade Seligmann, Colin Finnerty and David Evans.

Instead, she moved on to Sports Illustrated, a seat on ESPN’s “The Sports Reporters” and a new target, baseball slugger Alex Rodriguez.

Last week, the New York Daily News and The New York Times acquired “leaked” copies of Roberts’ soon-to-be-released biography, “A-Rod.” In it, according to the two New York newspapers, Roberts paints a highly unflattering picture of Rodriguez as a human being and, among other things, speculates that Rodriguez used steroids in high school.

Roberts’ speculative opinions are deemed as so credible by ESPN and others that the Worldwide Leader ran all-day updates stating that Selena Roberts believes that it’s “irrefutable” that Rodriguez used performance-enhancing drugs while a teenager.

At no point did ESPN’s TV anchors or radio broadcasters mention that Roberts was the same person who led the media charge against the Duke lacrosse players. I listened to Roberts’ interview on Dan Patrick’s radio show. Patrick never asked her about Duke lacrosse or why we should trust her reporting.

In its news story about her book, The New York Times failed to allude to her position on the Duke lacrosse case. I’ll give the Times credit for including one sentence of clarification in its news story:

“Some of the accusations in the book are based on anonymous sources, and others are simply presented as knowledge the author has without an explanation of how the information was obtained.”

Translation: the majority of the stuff written in her book is information the National Enquirer might reject.

The national media anti-snitching campaign is twice as pervasive and effective as anything put together by the Bloods, Crips and LAPD. For the most part, we refuse to squeal on each other.

Roberts’ book is a long-winded blog. Why it’s being treated as an unimpeachable piece of journalism can only be explained by the cushy position she’s been handed by The New York Times, ESPN and Sports Illustrated and the unchallenged institutional bias found within the elite sports media institutions.

Like the Duke lacrosse players, the elite media have decided that Alex Rodriguez is fair game for abuse. Rules of fairness do not apply.

In a rush to prove its racial even-handedness, the media initially chose to swallow the accusations of a black stripper over white college students. Roberts and others made fools of themselves. They were given the leeway to do so only because lacrosse players aren’t part of the NCAA money-making machine and unlikely to be future subjects of high-profile stories.

The players were convenient, vulnerable targets.

So is Rodriguez. Like Barry Bonds, A-Rod is a threat to surpass Babe Ruth (and Hank Aaron) on the home run chart. A-Rod, a Dominican, is the dominant player in a sport that is almost solely analyzed and defined by white American sports writers and broadcasters.

It is not a coincidence that Bonds and Rodriguez have been portrayed as the worst teammates in the history of professional sports while Rogers Clemens’ and Mark McGwire’s teammate shortcomings were largely overlooked. When Clemens skipped games and road trips it was because he was a dedicated family man rather than a bad teammate.

I am not asserting a nationwide racial conspiracy against minority baseball players. I’m in no way stating that Roberts’ pursuit of Rodriguez is motivated by race. I’m asserting that the media’s unwillingness to publicly and aggressively challenge itself breeds unequal and unfair coverage.

We all have biases that must be contested. We’re all capable of getting swept up in the biases of our peers and friends.

The allegations in Roberts’ book might very well be true. But I’m not going to trust her, not without some on-the-record reporting, not after what she wrote about the Duke lacrosse players.

The 500 home run club. The 300 win club.

But what would a Cubs fan know about milestones. :Nuts:

You said people are outraged because "hallowed records" are being broken.

500 home runs and 300 wins are not "records". They are milestones.

And my being a Cubs fan has absolutely nothing to do with this discussion.

How in the **** does this become Yankees vs Red Sox.

It's a plague across baseball. No one should be applauding or be doing back flips over this stuff. I'm blown away by the reaction of some.

you really expected differently?

Some Yankee fans have been crying about the Mitchell report for a while. Sad.

Archived