Which is the more damning sin in baseball:

Scott Dierking

taking roids

tipping pitches

betting

You said betting not throwing games. If you are betting for your team that isn't a big issue in my mind.

You have to look at it all angles though.

Say you have a manager that bets on his own team to win, but does not bet all the games for his team to win.

Let's say that he has a reliever who has worked 4 straight games, and is his closer out of the bullpen.

Common sense and baseball protocol says that that player should get a rest that night. But, the manager has a bet on that game, and needs his closer to cover his losses.

He puts him in, the player gets injured and needs surgery.

-Betting on your own team while managing

-Taking PED

-Tipping pitches to the opposition

Please take any name or team association out of the equation. Deal strictly with the sin committed. Feel free to add on sins.

Tipping pitches. You are f'n some poor kid on your team pitching mop up duty and making his ERA worse than it probably already is.

If Arod did this, he is a bigger scumbag than I initially gave him credit for.

1) tipping pitches - cheating, but with the added layer of putting yourself before your teammates

2) PEDs - cheating

3) betting on your own team - illegal (stupidly so), but you know what? good for you. it would be a problem if you were betting against yourself and throwing games, but betting to win? great, shows you have balls and confidence in your guys. who does this hurt?

1)

3) betting on your own team - illegal (stupidly so), but you know what? good for you. it would be a problem if you were betting against yourself and throwing games, but betting to win? great, shows you have balls and confidence in your guys. who does this hurt?

See my post above. The premise was a manager betting on his team, but not every night.

See my post above. The premise was a manager betting on his team, but not every night.

In your scenario, the manager is just an idiot. In-game decisions like that get managers fired. Any guy with half a brain is going to realize that his meal ticket is his manager's salary, not his single game bets. Not to mention, when you're illegally betting, you don't need to raise any red flags that bring attention to you.

This isn't to say I encourage it. It's just a far less bad offense then direct cheating like steroids or tipping pitches.

PEDs can impact entire seasons though. I don't really know how to order them actually; they're all pretty bad and unforgivable, in my opinion.

PEDs were just so prevalent in baseball that I don't think they really mattered all that much. Virtually everyone was on them.

PEDs were just so prevalent in baseball that I don't think they really mattered all that much. Virtually everyone was on them.

The fact that "everyone" was doing it doesn't make it any less of a transgression.

Are you saying you'd be madder if it was only 4 or 5 guys?

Are you 12?

Everybody's doing it does NOT make anything ok or even less bad.

No, if I were 12, I would resort to personal attacks in every other post.

I miss when JN was JN, and morons like you were still on the other side.

No, if I were 12, I would resort to personal attacks in every other post.

I miss when JN was JN, and morons like you were still on the other side.

Grow up and get over it.

I am not going to apologize for calling out stupid comments. If you take it personally, tough. Grow a thicker skin.

I guess you are choosing not to address the idiocy of the "everybody's doing it" defense.

Personally, I think the Black Sox throwing the 1919 World Series is worse. Pete Rose never bet against the Reds.

There were times that also DID NOT bet on his team.

Would he mange his bullpen /players differently in those situations? Could he have ruined some careers?

There were times that also DID NOT bet on his team.

Would he mange his bullpen /players differently in those situations? Could he have ruined some careers?

Actually, I think the most damning indictment of Pete Rose as manager was that Lou Pinella won the WS in his first year with a Reds team that Pete finished second with four years in a row.

Grow up and get over it.

I am not going to apologize for calling out stupid comments. If you take it personally, tough. Grow a thicker skin.

I guess you are choosing not to address the idiocy of the "everybody's doing it" defense.

Maybe I would have responded to it if it wasn't prefaced with an insult.

If someone has a different opinion than you, it doesn't make them 12 years old and it doesn't mean they "know nothing about sports". It means that you're an immature jackass that can't handle when someone dares have a different opinion than you.

Archived