Jason Bay

Gainzo

The guy is playing lights out right now. 9 HR, 32 RBI, .323 BA and .677 SLG.

I would like to personally thank Manny Rameriz for forcing the Red Sox to make the trade for him.

Manny was a key cog in 2 Championships, let Bay lead his team to a Championship before you crown the trade a success. I am still glad you made the deal no matter how well Bay is playing.

Bay's been great and has turned into a real Yankee killer. The Sox have to resign him. Does anybody know if the Sox negotiate deals in the middle of the year? If they wait till the offseason he might get scooped up by someone else.

He plays in a ballpark that is like the golf course in Caddyshack 2

Any righty will have skewed #'s with that green monster out there

It's like he was bad in pittsburgh though. And Mike Lowell was a good player before he came to Boston too.

Manny was a key cog in 2 Championships, let Bay lead his team to a Championship before you crown the trade a success. I am still glad you made the deal no matter how well Bay is playing.

Being that Manny was basically throwing games and the Sox had to move him, Bay is a incredible return. I remember Tyler insinuating he would not handle the AL East.......He owns the AL East.

He plays in a ballpark that is like the golf course in Caddyshack 2

Any righty will have skewed #'s with that green monster out there

Bay twice hit over 30HR's with 100 RBI's and double digit steals in Pitt with zero protection. He's a very good player.

??? How can you NOT ? Manny's out for 50 games and has ruined the Dodgers season. Bay is Mr. Steady Eddie.

Being that Manny was basically throwing games and the Sox had to move him, Bay is a incredible return. I remember Tyler insinuating he would not handle the AL East.......He owns the AL East.

He didn't own the AL East in the ALCS last year. I'm still glad Manny is gone and happy Boston made that trade.

??? How can you NOT ? Manny's out for 50 games and has ruined the Dodgers season. Bay is Mr. Steady Eddie.

Manny went through his not trying phases just about every year but did he ever noit try in postseason or when games mattered? That was when he was cute and cuddly "Manny being Manny" but now he's a villain despite delivering 2 Championships to a team that hadn't seen one since the teens. if he's on the team last october you have a better chance to win it all and w/o him you didn't do it- the trade so far for me has been a success froma Yankee fan perspective. If Boston wins more Championships and Bay is a reason why then it will have been a great trade.

Manny went through his not trying phases just about every year but did he ever noit try in postseason or when games mattered? That was when he was cute and cuddly "Manny being Manny" but now he's a villain despite delivering 2 Championships to a team that hadn't seen one since the teens. if he's on the team last october you have a better chance to win it all and w/o him you didn't do it- the trade so far for me has been a success froma Yankee fan perspective. If Boston wins more Championships and Bay is a reason why then it will have been a great trade.

That is the great unknown about last season.

What we do know, the team played better without Manny. They hit for a higher average and scored more runs. Now, that could have been a residual effect of trying to prove they could move on without Manny. Or it could be he was becoming a distraction.

The same thing happened in 2004 with Nomar. It was not so much that the replacement (Bay or Mientkiewicz) were better, but the club house was better without the distraction of that one player.

He didn't own the AL East in the ALCS last year. I'm still glad Manny is gone and happy Boston made that trade.

You continue to not take into account that Manny was faking injuries, not taking the bat off his shoulders against the Yankees and overall leaving Boston in a no win situation. Any decent return, let alone a star like Jason Bay makes it a great trade. If Jason Bay was a Yankee I am sure we would see a much different opinion.

Attaching PAST WS rings to the equation(while a Yankee fan fave thing to do) has nothing to do with this situation. If the Cubs win the WS this year with Soriano was the ARod trade a bad deal????

You continue to not take into account that Manny was faking injuries, not taking the bat off his shoulders against the Yankees and overall leaving Boston in a no win situation. Any decent return, let alone a star like Jason Bay makes it a great trade. If Jason Bay was a Yankee I am sure we would see a much different opinion.

Attaching PAST WS rings to the equation(while a Yankee fan fave thing to do) has nothing to do with this situation. If the Cubs win the WS this year with Soriano was the ARod trade a bad deal????

:yeahthat:

Couldn't have said it better myself.

You seem to forget that he had done this before. I think it goes back as far as '03, he'd go through it about every year then get over it and he'd play great and helped Boston win alot of games.

The ARod trdae was a terrible trade for us, ARod has never done anything meaningful for us like manny did for you. We had gone to 6 WS in 8 years before we got ARod, we haven't been to one since.

Jason Bay has been great for Boston but you gave up your best hitter for him. A player that was a key to Championship runs. I loved the trade as a Yankee fan at the time and I still do. Until you win again and until he helps you win again I will feel that way.

You seem to forget that he had done this before. I think it goes back as far as '03, he'd go through it about every year then get over it and he'd play great and helped Boston win alot of games.

The ARod trdae was a terrible trade for us, ARod has never done anything meaningful for us like manny did for you. We had gone to 6 WS in 8 years before we got ARod, we haven't been to one since.

Jason Bay has been great for Boston but you gave up your best hitter for him. A player that was a key to Championship runs. I loved the trade as a Yankee fan at the time and I still do. Until you win again and until he helps you win again I will feel that way.

The Sox were never going to break even with a Manny trade. Pujols is the only bat that can replace Manny. If the Cardinals ever let him leave, they should lose that franchise.

Anyways back to my point, like I said, short of Pujols no one was going to replace Manny. You might be able to replace the power. You might be able to replace the hitting, but it is unlikely you are going to find a .330-35 HR-130 RBI guy teams are willing to trade.

The team also has some rights as well. As you said, it had been going back to 2003. It is obvious the team wanted to be rid of him when they gave him an irrevocable waivers and no one took a shot at him. Every year just as sure as there is a spring and summer there was some Manny drama on wanting to leave Boston.

The Sox FO does not have to bend over and take it in the shorts even if he is immensely talented. I do not care if it is a team sport or managing an office environment, sometimes it is better to let the talented head case go just so the rest of the team/office can perform better without all the BS.

Bay is not as talented as Manny, but Francona knows what he has and what he can do. He knew what he had in Manny as well, but he did not know day to day if he was getting 100% Manny, 50% Manny or Shut it down Manny.

The Sox were never going to break even with a Manny trade. Pujols is the only bat that can replace Manny. If the Cardinals ever let him leave, they should lose that franchise.

Anyways back to my point, like I said, short of Pujols no one was going to replace Manny. You might be able to replace the power. You might be able to replace the hitting, but it is unlikely you are going to find a .330-35 HR-130 RBI guy teams are willing to trade.

The team also has some rights as well. As you said, it had been going back to 2003. It is obvious the team wanted to be rid of him when they gave him an irrevocable waivers and no one took a shot at him. Every year just as sure as there is a spring and summer there was some Manny drama on wanting to leave Boston.

The Sox FO does not have to bend over and take it in the shorts even if he is immensely talented. I do not care if it is a team sport or managing an office environment, sometimes it is better to let the talented head case go just so the rest of the team/office can perform better without all the BS.

Bay is not as talented as Manny, but Francona knows what he has and what he can do. He knew what he had in Manny as well, but he did not know day to day if he was getting 100% Manny, 50% Manny or Shut it down Manny.

The Sox did a good job of getting what they got for Manny but they are still weaker w/o Manny.

That talented head case was a HUGE reason you won 2 Championships, w/o him I'm not sure you do and I'm sure you'd rather have 2 w/o him than none w/ him, right?

The Sox did a good job of getting what they got for Manny but they are still weaker w/o Manny.

That talented head case was a HUGE reason you won 2 Championships, w/o him I'm not sure you do and I'm sure you'd rather have 2 w/o him than none w/ him, right?

No doubt.

And I thinking your rationale is why the Yankees are in trouble.

I will forever be thankful for Manny's performance. My fondest live baseball moment is when Manny cranked a home run in KC one time. He absolutely crushed the ball.

With that being said, the 2008 Manny was not the Dodger's Manny. In 80 total games with the Dodgers, Manny hit for a higher average with more HRs and RBIs then his last 100 games with Boston in '08. It is not like he was surrounded by more talent or playing in a more hitter friendly park.

The 2008 Manny is not the same Manny from 1999-2004. You can deal with Manny's idiosyncrasies when he mashing .340-40HRs-140 RBIs every season.

However, when he is an ass clown and only hitting .300-20HRs-100 RBIs, well you are no longer untouchable. Those are still nice numbers, but they are replaceable numbers.

I do not care Manny wanted to leave Boston. It was obvious from his play, his time was done. Thanks for the memories and do not let the door hit your ass on the way out.

Archived