New York Yankees vs. Toronto Blue Jays @ Rogers Centre

Vicious89x

NEW YORK YANKEES VS. TORONTO BLUE JAYS

100px-Yankees_logo.pngimages-2.jpg?t=1242053077

Tuesday: RHP A.J. Burnett (2-0, 5.26) vs. RHP Roy Halladay (6-1, 3.26) @ 7:07

Wednesday: LHP Andy Pettitte (2-1, 4.38) vs. RHP Scott Richmond (4-1, 3.29) @ 7:07

Thursday: LHP CC Sabathia (2-3, 3.94) vs. LHP Brian Tallet (2-1, 4.95) @ 7:07

Halladay is amazing. You can't be patient with him, because all he throws is strikes. The Yankees can't do anything against the guy.

He's the best pitcher in baseball.

2nd best...has been since Johan became a SP.

That Hill kid at 2B for the Jays looks like a player.

2nd best...has been since Johan became a SP.

That Hill kid at 2B for the Jays looks like a player.

I give Halladay the nod over Santana since he pitches in the American League. Halladay can give you nine innings whenever you need him to. I'm not sure that Johan can do that.

At this point I'd be surprised if the Yankees get another hit.

I give Halladay the nod over Santana since he pitches in the American League. Halladay can give you nine innings whenever you need him to. I'm not sure that Johan can do that.

+1

Halladay has been the best pitcher in baseball for a couple of years now. No one notices him hidden away up there.

Santana won the triple crown of pitching over a 4yr period in the American League so let's just say he had zero problems dominating that league.

Santana is also more of a strikeout pitcher so in todays pitch count world, less complete games. Since he became a SP he has logged more innings than Halladay every season but one and that being his NL debut where you get pinch hit for. For their careers Halladay avgs 17 more innings over a 162 game schedule or roughly a half of a inning more a start.

That tells me that Halladay when on, can go the full 9 as he has 4x as many complete games than Johan but has many more outings where he is knocked out earlier.

Halladay is great but Johan's numbers give him the nod. I'd take either one with no problem.

i think jeter is done. his career is on the decline mostly because of his injuries.

What's kind of sad-we are going to hold it against Jeter that he's going to slowly decline as he gets older, like a normal player did before steroids came into focus. The way Jim Rice didn't get into the HoF becuse he hung on a whle after he was productive is very much like that. We have become conditioned to guys excelling well into their late 30s that a guy who's numbers logically and understandabley fall off the table at that age is going to be viewed as a failure.

What's kind of sad-we are going to hold it against Jeter that he's going to slowly decline as he gets older, like a normal player did before steroids came into focus. The way Jim Rice didn't get into the HoF becuse he hung on a whle after he was productive is very much like that. We have become conditioned to guys excelling well into their late 30s that a guy who's numbers logically and understandabley fall off the table at that age is going to be viewed as a failure.

Although I agree with your overall point, I doubt Jeter will ever be viewed in history as a failure. If he were retire today, he'd be a lock for the Hall.

Although I agree with your overall point, I doubt Jeter will ever be viewed in history as a failure. If he were retire today, he'd be a lock for the Hall.
True. ANd he's pretty much on track for 3000 hits. Worry is that he's going to end his career like Cal Ripken, locked in because of his rep, but not providing much more than replacement/average production but at top of the wage scale. His range seems to drop a little more each season. And how do you dump or move a Cal Ripken or Derek Jeter? Probably cannot be done. Where would you move him-the outfield? His power numbers are below average for 1st or 3rd,a nd those spots are locked up long-term. Does he become a fulltime DH?

True. ANd he's pretty much on track for 3000 hits. Worry is that he's going to end his career like Cal Ripken, locked in because of his rep, but not providing much more than replacement/average production but at top of the wage scale. His range seems to drop a little more each season. And how do you dump or move a Cal Ripken or Derek Jeter? Probably cannot be done. Where would you move him-the outfield? His power numbers are below average for 1st or 3rd,a nd those spots are locked up long-term. Does he become a fulltime DH?

Much like Mickey Mantle, Jeter has earned his spot on the Yankee roster until he can't walk on the field any longer. I would rather have his grit and limited production--even if only as a thank you for what he has accomplished--than that of all the over-paid frauds that we seem to bring in every year. Jeter could fire bomb my grandparents home--okay, they're already dead--and I would still love the guy.

Jeter needs to make the transition next year to the outfield.....sort of like Robin Yount did after years playing SS

That makes a world of sense. You could either get a good 3rd baseman and move A-rd back, or get a decent SS. Figure among Nady, Damon and Matsui(all of their contracts are expiring at the end of this season) the move has to be made in 2010.

That makes a world of sense. You could either get a good 3rd baseman and move A-rd back, or get a decent SS. Figure among Nady, Damon and Matsui(all of their contracts are expiring at the end of this season) the move has to be made in 2010.

A-Rod's days as a SS are history, especially with the hip issue.

Archived