ILB Depth

Gibbon

I'm a little concerned about our depth at ILB. Harris and Scott should be a great duo inside, but who exactly is behind them. Since going to the 3-4 the Jets have at least had a couple of veterans who could play ILB, but now we seem to be down to two or three guys with no real experience -- please spare me the Trusnik is a beast because of his play against Miami talk. Harris hasnt proved to be exceptionally durable after all. Signing a veteran with experience and some talent seems wise.

Napoleon Harris is out there looking for a job. He would be a good experiences back up at ILB. He seems to be looking for a starting job, but given the right money he might take a back up role. I think the Jets should move on him before Pittsburgh, Green Bay, KC, etc snatch him up.

I'm a little concerned about our depth at ILB. Harris and Scott should be a great duo inside, but who exactly is behind them. Since going to the 3-4 the Jets have at least had a couple of veterans who could play ILB, but now we seem to be down to two or three guys with no real experience -- please spare me the Trusnik is a beast because of his play against Miami talk. Harris hasnt proved to be exceptionally durable after all. Signing a veteran with experience and some talent seems wise.

Napoleon Harris is out there looking for a job. He would be a good experiences back up at ILB. He seems to be looking for a starting job, but given the right money he might take a back up role. I think the Jets should move on him before Pittsburgh, Green Bay, KC, etc snatch him up.

Is this an Anthony Schlegel thread?

:)

They also have Izzo. I'm not a big Izzo fan, but he's a vet that knows the ropes. I don't have any problem with Trusnik. He looked good when he was out there and he's only a backup. I'd expect him to be in the rotation.

Is this an Anthony Schlegel thread?

:)

3714.jpgAnthony Schlegel | Linebacker

TEAM: Cincinnati Bengals HEIGHT/WEIGHT:6'0' / 251 DOB:3/1/1981 AGE:28 COLLEGE:Ohio State CONTRACT INFO: 2009: Free Agent

why don't you like Trusnik?

Bart Scott came from similar background... it is possible to be a UDFA and an excellent nFL player...

I do like Trusnik as a ST/ player in development, but not as the first guy off the bench if one of the other ILBs goes down. He is too raw and unproven. He should and will be one of the back up ILBs, but I think team depth would be greatly improved if a more proven back up were available.

I dont think one game in Miami where he made One tackle on a pass 5yds down field, one good ST play, and two tackles against the run when the Dolphins were just running time off the clock makes him a reliable backup.

They also have Izzo. I'm not a big Izzo fan, but he's a vet that knows the ropes. I don't have any problem with Trusnik. He looked good when he was out there and he's only a backup. I'd expect him to be in the rotation.

3714.jpgAnthony Schlegel | Linebacker

TEAM: Cincinnati Bengals HEIGHT/WEIGHT:6'0' / 251 DOB:3/1/1981 AGE:28 COLLEGE:Ohio State CONTRACT INFO: 2009: Free Agent

When was the last time Izzo played a meaningful down on defense? He is a ST guy. No problem with that, but he isnt a real D backup.

Trusnik looked good for 2 consecutive plays and then made two stops when Miami was running out the clock in a loss that was a meaningless game for the Jets. Keep him in the rotation, get him some good reps in Preseason, but dont count on him in case of injury to Harris or Scott (God forbid).

Honestly, I'm much more worried about an injury to our OL, DL, or Cotchery.

As many have stated, Trusnik has shown some promise and can step in if needed. Also, if Scott or Harris gets injured, I wouldn't be surprised to see Pace or Thomas fill in much like Bowens did last year.

It wasnt, but it can be if you really want it to be.:rolleyes:

I know this sounds like a fan talking, but I was very impressed last pre-season with Kenwin Cummings at ILB. If b/w Cummings and Trusnick Ryan thinks that they have enough depth then I'm good with it. I enjoy watching these guys develop. Its the price a team plays for signing FAs and otherwise having a top heavy salary structure.

Just busting ya re Schlegel :)

As many have stated, Trusnik has shown some promise and can step in if needed. Also, if Scott or Harris gets injured, I wouldn't be surprised to see Pace or Thomas fill in much like Bowens did last year.

Good point, especially re Pace. I think he is very well suited to play inside.

I'm not just worried about ILB either. Primarily, I'm worried about QB. However, I dont think this is the guy you want to be first off the bench in case of injury:

http://www.nfl.com/players/jasontrusnik/profile?id=TRU694033

Harris and others who are known commodities are out there looking for a spot. I dont think you can argue that he wouldnt be an upgrade over Trusnik.

As for using Pace or Thomas like Bowens was used last year, the big difference is that Bowens wasnt a starter. So moving him to ILB didnt weaken the team at OLB. Plus, the Bowens experiement was iffy at best.

I know this sounds like a fan talking, but I was very impressed last pre-season with Kenwin Cummings at ILB. If b/w Cummings and Trusnick Ryan thinks that they have enough depth then I'm good with it. I enjoy watching these guys develop. Its the price a team plays for signing FAs and otherwise having a top heavy salary structure.

Just busting ya re Schlegel :)

You're gonna ride me about Schlegel and then pump up this guy:

http://www.nfl.com/players/kenwincummings/profile?id=CUM628434

The guy made no tackles in the regular season last year. Even Schlegel made 1 for the Jets:rolleyes:

As for using Pace or Thomas like Bowens was used last year, the big difference is that Bowens wasnt a starter. So moving him to ILB didnt weaken the team at OLB. Plus, the Bowens experiement was iffy at best.

True, we have to hope that Gholston can step up and become a starter if Pace or Thomas are forced to the inside. Of course, it is not an ideal situation, but it's not a dire situation either. We'll be OK, much more so than if some other key players at other positions get injured.

Bowens was solid while filling in last season. Coverage was below average, but he made up for it with a strong presence against the run.

I'm not just worried about ILB either. Primarily, I'm worried about QB. However, I dont think this is the guy you want to be first off the bench in case of injury:

http://www.nfl.com/players/jasontrusnik/profile?id=TRU694033

Harris and others who are known commodities are out there looking for a spot. I dont think you can argue that he wouldnt be an upgrade over Trusnik.

I'm sick of old ****s. I'd rather have UDFAs. I don't have a problem with Trusnick. If they were counting on him to start I'd have a problem, but as a backup/rotation guy he's got two years and three camps in the 3-4. I'm fine with him and prefer him to a another retread/has been. I won't have a problem with them cutting Franks before the season either.

I'm sick of old ****s. I'd rather have UDFAs. I don't have a problem with Trusnick. If they were counting on him to start I'd have a problem, but as a backup/rotation guy he's got two years and three camps in the 3-4. I'm fine with him and prefer him to a another retread/has been. I won't have a problem with them cutting Franks before the season either.

Bart Scott and Napoleon Harris have exactly the same number of years in the NFL. Harris is older.

Somehow you people are missing my point. So let me break it down for you.

1. I'm not saying that ILB is the teams biggest problem.

2. I'm not saying that Harris over Trusnik will send us to the Super Bowl.

3. I'm not saying that Trusnik might not be, at some point, a good reliable back up.

What I am saying.

1. David Harris was injured twice last season. If he had been healthy Trusnik and Bowens wouldnt have taken a snap at ILB. The man has an injury history going back to college.

2. Right now our back up ILBs have exactly 0 starts and maybe 5 defensive tackles between the three of them.

3. Guys like Napoleon Harris who have started, have played in a 3-4 are out there.

4. Picking up a guy like Harris would strengthen the depth at that position and the team as a whole.

This is exactly why I'm against trading your entire draft for basically 2 players..... no depth buildup !! We COULD have drafted someone like DL Jarron Gilbert or Antoine Caldwell as OL depth in the 3rd round then someone like ILB Jason Phillips in the 4th or Pitts ILB Scott McKillop in the 5th.

Behind Scott and Harris we have NOBODY.

Larry Izzo, who is strictly a Special Teams performer and Jason Trusnik, yipee!, who showed pretty much the same amount as David Clowney showed last year, a glimpse of almost nothing.

Now that we have our veteran blocking Tight End in house, its time to go out there and find a veteran ILB who can be a top reserve for this team. God forbid Harris or Scott goes down and Larry Izzo or Jason Trusnik is inserted into the starting lineup. Help us if that happens.

i can't wait till Bart Scott becomes Ed Hartwell Pt.II....maybe even Jamie Sharper Pt.II if yer lucky...

And we can't wait till you change that f'ing GAY avatar. Looks like your doing an ad for an old SNL skit. :P

ILB is definitely a scary depth situation. Harris wasnt the same when he was in the game last year. The only thing I can think of is that Rex moves players around so much that maybe its not a major concern to him. I would think if it was a HUGE concern to Rex, he would find something to remedy the situation.

Bart Scott came from similar background... it is possible to be a UDFA and an excellent nFL player...

unless his name is Ratliff. LOL hahaha just a joke.

I love Trusnik, as well as Devito. I think they will play major parts for us. And BTW, Harris doesn't get a free pass this year, he was great replacing Vilma, then he fell off,fell OFF

This year is huge for him almost as much as Gholston, ALMOST!

This is exactly why I'm against trading your entire draft for basically 2 players..... no depth buildup !! We COULD have drafted someone like DL Jarron Gilbert or Antoine Caldwell as OL depth in the 3rd round then someone like ILB Jason Phillips in the 4th or Pitts ILB Scott McKillop in the 5th.

wait a minute, how come when you say that it's legit, when i say it it's lunacy? ahhh who cares,BUT YOU ARE 100% right.

hey we could always go 4-3 if that happens. Nahhhh that insanity,psycho,dare i say...

Im not really too worried about it. Besides RB I think ILB might be the easiest position to just plug a guy in. I do think the overall lack of depth on the team is some type of concern and will be a major concern in 2010 if some of these UDFAs from the last two years do not pan out. We need the Kenwinn Cummings and Tavita Thompsons of the world to make a strong case to make the final roster.

Im not really too worried about it. Besides RB I think ILB might be the easiest position to just plug a guy in. I do think the overall lack of depth on the team is some type of concern and will be a major concern in 2010 if some of these UDFAs from the last two years do not pan out. We need the Kenwinn Cummings and Tavita Thompsons of the world to make a strong case to make the final roster.

We need to KEEP our draft picks like normal teams do.

wait a minute, how come when you say that it's legit, when i say it it's lunacy? ahhh who cares,BUT YOU ARE 100% right.

hey we could always go 4-3 if that happens. Nahhhh that insanity,psycho,dare i say...

LOL ;)

Bart Scott and Napoleon Harris have exactly the same number of years in the NFL. Harris is older.

Somehow you people are missing my point. So let me break it down for you.

1. I'm not saying that ILB is the teams biggest problem.

2. I'm not saying that Harris over Trusnik will send us to the Super Bowl.

3. I'm not saying that Trusnik might not be, at some point, a good reliable back up.

What I am saying.

1. David Harris was injured twice last season. If he had been healthy Trusnik and Bowens wouldnt have taken a snap at ILB. The man has an injury history going back to college.

2. Right now our back up ILBs have exactly 0 starts and maybe 5 defensive tackles between the three of them.

3. Guys like Napoleon Harris who have started, have played in a 3-4 are out there.

4. Picking up a guy like Harris would strengthen the depth at that position and the team as a whole.

I don't agree. I understand your way of thinking, but it's not mine. Signing Napoleon Harris would be similiar to the Franks signing. I wouldn't have a problem with it, but I don't give a **** about old guys like that. The only thing he provides is "know what you're getting". I truly believe that there are dozens of guys that were UDFAs that have played limited or zero snaps that can provide as much or more production.

He might improve our depth, but if the team is satisfied with the no-names they have, so am I. They are backups. I don't expect a name at every position. Keep guys like this everywhere and we'll spend the next five years complaining about why we let guys like Derrick Ward and Atari Bigby walk for nothing.

I didn't see the Vikings play much last year. I hear Harris played fairly well, but FWIW the Chiefs were shopping him last year and found no takers. He didn't play for half the season. Vikings picked him up because they had injuries. He's a 30 year old that was never so hot to begin with. Maybe more reliable than what we have but not necessarily any better.

I don't agree. I understand your way of thinking, but it's not mine. Signing Napoleon Harris would be similiar to the Franks signing. I wouldn't have a problem with it, but I don't give a **** about old guys like that. The only thing he provides is "know what you're getting". I truly believe that there are dozens of guys that were UDFAs that have played limited or zero snaps that can provide as much or more production.

He might improve our depth, but if the team is satisfied with the no-names they have, so am I. They are backups. I don't expect a name at every position. Keep guys like this everywhere and we'll spend the next five years complaining about why we let guys like Derrick Ward and Atari Bigby walk for nothing.

I didn't see the Vikings play much last year. I hear Harris played fairly well, but FWIW the Chiefs were shopping him last year and found no takers. He didn't play for half the season. Vikings picked him up because they had injuries. He's a 30 year old that was never so hot to begin with. Maybe more reliable than what we have but not necessarily any better.

First, thanks for the full explanation of where your opinion differs from mine.

Second, I see what you are saying and it makes sense. To me its a matter of security. If you sign a guy like Harris you know you have someone who can learn the system and step in and be productive. With a Trusnik or a Cummings you really dont know what you have. The team is going to carry about 8 linebackers:

Scott

Harris

Thomas

Pace

Gholston

Trusnik

Are six for sures. That leaves room for Harris or someone like him. His biggest problem is the price tag.

To me it seems like a low risk sub who should provide experienced depth.

First, thanks for the full explanation of where your opinion differs from mine.

Second, I see what you are saying and it makes sense. To me its a matter of security. If you sign a guy like Harris you know you have someone who can learn the system and step in and be productive. With a Trusnik or a Cummings you really dont know what you have. The team is going to carry about 8 linebackers:

Scott

Harris

Thomas

Pace

Gholston

Trusnik

Are six for sures. That leaves room for Harris or someone like him. His biggest problem is the price tag.

To me it seems like a low risk sub who should provide experienced depth.

Yeah, your idea makes sense. I wouldn't be shocked or upset if they signed a decent vet, but I sure don't care if they don't. I trust them to make the choice on guys like that. Football is a young man's game and there are plenty of people we never heard of that will perform great this year. I think we're probably fine with what we have. OTOH, I don't blame you for being wary - that is how we got stuck starting Adrian Clarke.

I absolutely agree with you bit. Trusnik is a very active and aggressive ILB. He played very well for us in spots last year. I also am looking foward to Kenwin Cummings. He was a great FA signing last year from a small school. I am all for these guys making a splash with us.

Archived