Fat Papi leaves 12 men on base

Blackout

I have to say.....I like Papi, always have.

But his demise is not only shocking, but enjoyable as well

I can only compare his "losing it" to Ankeil Pitching, or Knobloch throwing to 1st base

It has been a quick ending to Papi van Gorilla

He's struggling but have you looked at the AL East standings? I think the Sox are doing alright. Wait till he starts hitting.

Toronto: 23-13

Boston: 21-14

NY: 16-17

Tampa: 16-19

Baltimore: 14-20

How is he going to start hitting again? Are they going to stop drug testing? :-P

He's struggling but have you looked at the AL East standings? I think the Sox are doing alright. Wait till he starts hitting.

Toronto: 23-13

Boston: 21-14

NY: 16-17

Tampa: 16-19

Baltimore: 14-20

And the starting pitching is more consistent.

How is he going to start hitting again? Are they going to stop drug testing? :-P

The Red Sox are exempt from testing silly rabbit. How do you think Manny stayed out of trouble? His wit?

2004's gonna hurt for alot longer than you'll be around.....Papi inflicted enough damage on the Yankees to last the next 100 years

sonny, i've seen my team win 4 world series

2001 hurts more than 2004 sadly

Papi's going to on the bench for a few days. Baldelli is going to DH, Drew will bat third.

Red Sox finally bench slumping slugger Ortiz

Big Papi batting .208 without a homer, stranded 12 base runners Thursday

The Associated Press

updated 8:39 p.m. ET, Fri., May 15, 2009

SEATTLE - Slumping slugger David Ortiz has finally been benched.

Ortiz has been left out of the lineup for Boston's series opener at Seattle on Friday night, a day after he went 0-for-7 and stranded 12 base runners

2001 seemed so likely the Yanks would win :(

after game 5 i was convinced

then i remember being at a pizza joint in Orono during game 6 and saying "well we'll get them tomorrow with Roger"

and then randy effing johnson came in from the bullpen - ugh

and ofcourse Mariano blew the save...yuck

awful awful year

2004 didn't hurt so bad because it really felt like 2003 was a damn fluke....i knew the Sox would eventually beat the Yankees....just didn't know it'd come after a 3-0 lead lol.

I still to this day have not heard my father curse louder than when Rivera blew Game 7. My brother & I were in tears. :( WE thought it was destiny, right after 9/11 & those crazy comebacks at the Stadium. Sighs.....

ditto! that was a very emotional year...november baseball...B-B Kim blowing all those saves at Yankee stadium

Rivera blowing the save off a lucky hit by Juan Gonzoroido

notice how Gonzolez had one GREAT season amidst a bunch of ****ty ones lol

I still to this day have not heard my father curse louder than when Rivera blew Game 7. My brother & I were in tears. :( WE thought it was destiny, right after 9/11 & those crazy comebacks at the Stadium. Sighs.....

That made my day.

I was in Korea and we were watching the game, it was like 11am. Awesome game to watch at work.

SEATTLE -- Terry Francona is giving Big Papi an extended rest this weekend.

The Red Sox manager said that struggling David Ortiz would miss the final two games of the road trip and not start again until this Tuesday, when the Red Sox begin a three-game series against the AL East-leading Blue Jays.

David Ortiz

3748.jpg Designated Hitter

Boston Red Sox

2009 Season StatsGMHRRBIROBPAVG3401514.318.208

Francona stressed that he's not benching his slugger, as some have suggested. He just wants to give Ortiz a chance to clear his head and relax.

"I really want to get him through the off day," Francona said. "I think it's good for him."

Ortiz sat out Friday's opener against Seattle a day after he went 0 for 7 and tied a team record by stranding 12 runners against the Los Angeles Angels

Ortiz is hitting just .208 with no homers in 144 at-bats. He has not gone this long without a homer since Sept. 9, 1998, to June 9, 2000 -- partial seasons with the Minnesota Twins.

For the second day in a row, Ortiz did not discuss his slump. When he approached, he shook his head and declined to speak.

The Mariners started a left-hander in Garrett Olson, but Francona said that wasn't the basis for his decision to sit Ortiz.

His struggles are not affecting his popularity with fans. When Ortiz came out of the dugout for batting practice, he was cheered by the sizable contingent of Red Sox fans at Safeco Field. He then put on a power display, hitting several deep home runs into the right field bleachers.

Francona said Ortiz has been his usual, bubbly self in the clubhouse, except for Friday afternoon. When Francona saw him, he could tell the pressures of dealing with the slump had begun to affect him. That's when he decided Ortiz needed a break.

"It looked like he had been biting his pillow," Francona said.

Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press

The freakin' truth finally comes out. fanook.

SEATTLE -- Terry Francona is giving Big Papi an extended rest this weekend.

The Red Sox manager said that struggling David Ortiz would miss the final two games of the road trip and not start again until this Tuesday, when the Red Sox begin a three-game series against the AL East-leading Blue Jays.

David Ortiz

3748.jpg Designated Hitter

Boston Red Sox

2009 Season StatsGMHRRBIROBPAVG3401514.318.208

Francona stressed that he's not benching his slugger, as some have suggested. He just wants to give Ortiz a chance to clear his head and relax.

"I really want to get him through the off day," Francona said. "I think it's good for him."

Ortiz sat out Friday's opener against Seattle a day after he went 0 for 7 and tied a team record by stranding 12 runners against the Los Angeles Angels

Ortiz is hitting just .208 with no homers in 144 at-bats. He has not gone this long without a homer since Sept. 9, 1998, to June 9, 2000 -- partial seasons with the Minnesota Twins.

For the second day in a row, Ortiz did not discuss his slump. When he approached, he shook his head and declined to speak.

The Mariners started a left-hander in Garrett Olson, but Francona said that wasn't the basis for his decision to sit Ortiz.

His struggles are not affecting his popularity with fans. When Ortiz came out of the dugout for batting practice, he was cheered by the sizable contingent of Red Sox fans at Safeco Field. He then put on a power display, hitting several deep home runs into the right field bleachers.

Francona said Ortiz has been his usual, bubbly self in the clubhouse, except for Friday afternoon. When Francona saw him, he could tell the pressures of dealing with the slump had begun to affect him. That's when he decided Ortiz needed a break.

"It looked like he had been biting his pillow," Francona said.

Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press

The freakin' truth finally comes out. fanook.

So Papi is a pillow biter? lol

Theres a difference between a slump and losing it. Papi lost it. Its gone. It isn't coming back. He's finished.

It's tough having a knee injury and a wrist injury and trying to come back at33 years old and your body is wearing down because you've never kept in great shape. It's all very Mo Vaughn-esque.

Not racism at all

He's a juicing freak.....and his stroke is kaput without the powers of Gorilla Juice

Again, you have no proof. You can talk all you want but until there is a positive test or an admission, he is innocent until proven guilty because this is still America.

Archived