OTA Report 5/21/09--Dave Hutchinson

SMC

This is from today's OTA report:

Quarterback Mark Sanchez struggles in New York Jets OTA session

by Dave Hutchinson/The Star-Ledger

Thursday May 21, 2009, 1:43 PM

The Jets' GQ cover boy, rookie quarterback Mark Sanchez, looked like, well, a rookie Thursday in the team's organized team activity session.

Sanchez, in his third practice with the veterans, completed just one of nine passes with one interception in 11-on-11 drills and earned the wrath of offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer on more than one occasion.

"It was a good day," said Sanchez before pausing for effect and adding, "for the defense. They got after it. It was good, though. For a rookie to play against a defense like this, you can't ask for anything better.

"They're smart. They're fast. They know exactly what they're doing and they know I'm not quite up to speed yet. It was a tough day, but that's what these days are all about. It was one of those days you need. It was a good productive day. I learned a lot."

Sanchez, drafted fifth overall in last month's draft, was clearly outplayed by veteran Kellen Clemens, who connected on five-of-13 but had several drops. The former USC star missed open receivers, overthrew others and was rattled by the blitz.

"(Sanchez) had an excellent second day, let's start with the good," said coach Rex Ryan. "The bad was the first day and the ugly was part of today. We're kind of throwing him to the wolves."

LB Bart Scott has been among those riding Sanchez hard -- on the field and in the locker room.

"You still have the training wheels on, Sanchez," Scott shouted at one point following an incomplete pass.

Moments later after Sanchez badly overthrew WR Chansi Stuckey over the middle, Scott yelled, "You're gonna get somebody killed, Sanchez."

Said CB Lito Sheppard: "It's a little tough on him right now. We're trying to make it as tough on him as possible. He's not going to play against any defense tougher than ours. So when he does start having success, we'll know he's ready."

Sanchez said he has taken a ribbing from his teammates for his GQ Magazine shoot. On Tuesday, players posted all types of racy pictures of Sanchez from the shoot throughout the locker room and they were on computers throughout the building.

"We didn't give him a pass on that," said Clemens. "But he handled it well and gave a little back."

Sanchez said the shoot was taken two months ago, and dismissed criticism that he's spreading himself too thin.

"I lobbed one up right in front of them and they hit it out of the park," said a smiling Sanchez. "They called me David Hasselhoff."

Asked about the negative backlash, he said, "The first thing I would say is that it was two months ago. It was one of those things where you're about to get drafted and you're going to do a shoot with a supermodel, are you kidding me? That's one of those you have to do. And the guys even told me that I earned it.

"But now they know. The Jets know -- or they wouldn't have drafted me -- that I'm all about football. I told them ahead of time. They knew. Now it's all about football.'' ...

Notes: S Kerry Rhodes (personal) was excused. ... TE Bubba Franks (knee) didn't practice and Ryan said he may not until training camp. ... Ryan said former Rutgers DE Jamaal Westreman isn't only learning the outside LB position, he's also learning the inside position. "Obviously, we think a great deal of this guy." ... Rookie RB Shonn Greene (hamstring) was limited.

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2009/05/qb_mark_sanchez_struggles_in_n.html

I know you're being funny, GOB, but the claim is such BS.

The photoshoot happened 2-3 MONTHS AGO, which was BEFORE he was drafted. So when he did this photoshoot there was no playbook to be studying because he wasn't on a team yet.

He hasn't done any shoots since then.

I know you're being funny, GOB, but the claim is such BS.

The photoshoot happened 2-3 MONTHS AGO, which was BEFORE he was drafted. So when he did this photoshoot there was no playbook to be studying because he wasn't on a team yet.

He hasn't done any shoots since then.

you think GOB is bieng funny :rl:

We should have never traded Ratliff.

I think I figured out who the historical equivelent of Jets fans are:

The Hebrews in the Book of Exodus.

No two groups could bitch, moan, and lament more when someone is trying to do right by them.

come on guys it's early. I'm kinda of happy the D is giving him a tough time. rather he learn now then during game time. do you really think any rookie is gonna walk on the field and automatically just start throwing TDs ? I think they should make it real rough out there for him. coach Ryan and Bart Scott know what they are doing. I'm telling you Scott was not just a huge pick up for the D but for the Offense too. sounds like he's gonna really push them guys. bottom line Mark will be fine.

hope they kick his a$$ some more. we need a tough QB

Kellen Clemens, who connected on five-of-13 but had several drops.

Is it me, or is this a reoccurring theme for Clemens? He always seems to have above average drop numbers. Is there something wrong with his throws which makes them less catchable than a normal QB?

Is it me, or is this a reoccurring theme for Clemens? He always seems to have above average drop numbers. Is there something wrong with his throws which makes them more uncatchable than a normal QB?

I used to wonder if that was the case but it makes no sense. He was pretty good with college WR's.

I know this is a bad comparison.. but I remember my first week of playing College Rugby after high school (no, I never went pro like AEC), and just the change of game speed after going up a level was unreal. I was the MVP of my state-ranked team, and those first few practices I felt like it was my first day EVER playing rugby.

I guess the point I am trying to make is, give the guy some time to adjust, it is ALOT different than you could imagine.

Is it me, or is this a reoccurring theme for Clemens? He always seems to have above average drop numbers. Is there something wrong with his throws which makes them more uncatchable than a normal QB?

Clemens does seem to get a disproportionate amount of drops compared to other QBs.

It could be because the Jets receivers hate him.

I know this is a bad comparison.. but I remember my first week of playing College Rugby after high school (no, I never went pro like AEC), and just the change of game speed after going up a level was unreal. I was the MVP of my state-ranked team, and those first few practices I felt like it was my first day EVER playing rugby.

I guess the point I am trying to make is, give the guy some time to adjust, it is ALOT different than you could imagine.

Then shut your mouth. Clearly you're not qualified to talk about this.

Freakin' amateurs.

Lets go scarlet knights. way to go Westerman

Good to hear about Westerman. The Jets need ILB depth and if he can play both in-and-out that not only increases his chance to make the team but be in the LB rotation as well.

Sanchez, in his third practice with the veterans, completed just one of nine passes with one interception in 11-on-11 drills and earned the wrath of offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer on more than one occasion.

(Snicker)... Hope he get's better (snicker).;)

Is it me, or is this a reoccurring theme for Clemens? He always seems to have above average drop numbers. Is there something wrong with his throws which makes them less catchable than a normal QB?

I always thought is was because our receivers skillz eroded catching well placed fluffy passes from Chad. But Favre kinda proved that wrong, he had more drops then Chad, but nothing like Clemens..

Now I don't have a clue..

I think I figured out who the historical equivelent of Jets fans are:

The Hebrews in the Book of Exodus.

No two groups could bitch, moan, and lament more when someone is trying to do right by them.

I'm pretty sure EY was kidding, but I do agree about Jet fans in general and their constant complaining. At one point I thought a super bowl victory would cure this, but now I'm not so sure.

(Snicker)... Hope he get's better (snicker).;)

I'd say the same for your QB, but he's a seasoned pro so he shouldn't be surprised by anything completely brand new. It's not like Chad threw a ton of picks the last time he played a Rex Ryan defense :rolleyes:

I love that the defense is being tough on him & I fully expect this D to be in the top 5 overall in the NFL. Sanchez did say the right things, and it is better for him to get his ass kicked now & to really catch up to speed with the NFL game, instead of the god awful Pac 10. Love the confidence the D is exuding. As for Sanchez, I'm not really worried. He had a bad day. Big deal. He will get better & I think this was a positive practice day and learning experience for him.

I love that the defense is being tough on him & I fully expect this D to be in the top 5 overall in the NFL. Sanchez did say the right things, and it is better for him to get his ass kicked now & to really catch up to speed with the NFL game, instead of the god awful Pac 10. Love the confidence the D is exuding. As for Sanchez, I'm not really worried. He had a bad day. Big deal. He will get better & I think this was a positive practice day and learning experience for him.

Agreed. Even season veterans have a bad day here and there. Yet when a rookie has a bad day in his first week of OTAs against the veterans ever, its time to push the panic button. Such is the life of a NY Jet fan.

Archived