**** Official Hockey East 2009-2010 Season Thread ****

Gainzo

Nope... Staying at home and watching it with the g/f... if it wasnt on Tv i would probably go.

With the Super Bowl on SUnday and other plans Sat, going friday is a tough sell... especially after dragging her to BU friday... BTW... got her to hate BU with a passion... called the fans a bunch of dooshies.

I would love to see 'Mack make the playoffs, hopefully they can pick up enough points without hurting our teams....

If UMass comes up 2 people short of setting the attendance record I will put the blame on you ;)

Nice to see Janet appreciate the douchebaggery that is BU hockey. Melissa understands.

If the Mack makes the playoffs they are going to get swept. For some reason they can't win on the road.

I may head up to North Andover on Saturday. There is an excellent Chinese restaurant on 114 a few minutes from Campus. If I take Melissa she will probably agree to go to an alcohol free arena afterwards to watch hockey lol.

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Question for you two college east hockey nuts:

Don't you think your programs are at the bottom of the barrel as far as relevance goes? Only NU, BU, BC and Harvard participate in the Beanpot. Anything outside of Boston/Cambridge is much like a dead bug on a windshield as far as significance goes. Anyway, do you feel like insignificant hockey dooshies or what? :)

Question for you two college east hockey nuts:

Don't you think your programs are at the bottom of the barrel as far as relevance goes? Only NU, BU, BC and Harvard participate in the Beanpot. Anything outside of Boston/Cambridge is much like a dead bug on a windshield as far as significance goes. Anyway, do you feel like insignificant hockey dooshies or what? :)

Feel? Yes. Yes we do.

but not because we dont participate in some stupid tournament, but because our teams suck consistently.

However, our teams rank 12th and 15th in attendance- above great programs like Maine and relevant teams like Northeastern and barely below (21 person difference) a recent National Champion and relevant team- BC. And less than 300 behind the current National Champion.

http://www.uscho.com/stats/attendance.php

So I guess we're not as irrelevant as people like to think.

Feel? Yes. Yes we do.

but not because we dont participate in some stupid tournament, but because our teams suck consistently.

However, our teams rank 12th and 15th in attendance- above great programs like Maine and relevant teams like Northeastern and barely below (21 person difference) a recent National Champion and relevant team- BC. And less than 300 behind the current National Champion.

http://www.uscho.com/stats/attendance.php

So I guess we're not as irrelevant as people like to think.

Damn, you take this college hockey thing seriously! I was joking. Although...really, attendance? Because there is sooooo much going on in Amherst and Lowell?

I don't really like hockey. Seems like one intercepted pass after another. Meh.

Damn, you take this college hockey thing seriously! I was joking. Although...really, attendance? Because there is sooooo much going on in Amherst and Lowell?

I know you were joking....:)

There is plenty to do in Amherst. It just doesnt start until after hockey ends at 9pm!

Amazing thing to me is hockey averages more than UMass basketball does. When i went, we were lucky to have 1,000 fans at hockey and basketball was always sold out.

Not only does Lowell have the Brewery Exchange it also has a Beer Works. The same Beer Works that can be found outside Fenway and the Garden.

Don't forget Lowell is only 40 minutes from Boston ;)

I fully expect a crowd close to 6,000 at Tsongas for the Lowell/BU game on Friday night.

Marty Meehan and I are the best of friends :rl:

Email I received today:

Dear friend:

On behalf of the University of Massachusetts Lowell, I invite you to be my guest this Friday, February 5, 2010 at 6 p.m. for a reception to celebrate the official opening of the Tsongas Center at UMass Lowell. This celebration will occur immediately before the Division I River Hawks hockey team faces off against defending national champion Boston University Terriers

Big weekend ahead of us...

Friday:

UNH AT Maine

Vermont at Providence

Northeastern at Merrimack

BU at Lowell

BC at UMass

Saturday:

Lowell at Merrimack

UNH at Maine

Vermont at Providence

STANDINGS:

1. UNH-27pts- 18gp

t2. BC- 22pts- 18gp

t2. UMass- 22pts- 19gp

4. Maine-20pts- 17gp

5. Lowell- 18pts- 17gp

6. BU- 16pts- 18gp

t7. Vermont- 15pts- 17gp

t7. Northeastern- 15pts- 18gp

9. Merrimack- 12pts- 16gp

10. Providence- 9pts-18gp

UNH-2 games

Maine- 2 games

Lowell- 2 games

Merrimack- 2 games

Providence- 2 games

Vermont- 2 games

UMass- 1 game

BU- 1 game

BC- 1 game

Northeastern- 1 game

Big slate of games. Lowell needs at least 3pts if they want to compete for a home playoff. Maine needs to pick up at least 2pts against UNH. Providence can help themselves tremendously with a sweep of Vermont. Merrimack, who is awesome at home, needs 4pts if they're serious about the playoffs.

My predictions:

UNH AT Maine- UNH dominates 4-1

Vermont at Providence- Vermont laughs at Prov and smacks them 5-0

Northeastern at Merrimack- NU is still hurting after losing in the Beanpot monday. Mack 3-1

BU at Lowell- BU is dreaming of the Beanpot and overlooks Lowell. Lowell blows 3 goal 3rd period lead but wins 5-4 on a controversial video review.

BC at UMass- UMass sells out. Game is on NESN. Chance to become one of the great teams in Hockey East. They get their asses handed to them 6-2

Saturday:

Lowell at Merrimack- Lowell is flying high. Merrimack is too. Gainzo bitches about the "arena" all game. Lowell is shocked that Riverhawk fans found their way up 495 to the Merrimack campus. They stumble out of the gate and fall behind 2-0. Lowell tries to crawl back but fall short losing 2-1.

UNH at Maine- Maine channels the spirit of Shawn Walsh and pulls off a stunning upset of the Mildcats. 4-0

Vermont at Providence- Vermont knows this is their only chance to gain ground for a home playoff series. Then again, they remember what happened to them last year. Vermont tries to lose, but Providence is just too sucky to overcome. Vermont wins 4-2

http://www.hockeyeastonline.com/men/presarch/201002/feb4wp.php

WAKEFIELD, Mass. -- No. 13 New Hampshire will travel to Maine for the weekend for a two-game set at Alfond Arena, while Vermont heads south for the weekend to take on Providence College at Schneider Arena beginning Friday night. No. 15 Massachusetts will entertain No. 14 Boston College live on NESN Friday night from the Mullins Center in Amherst for Operation 8K Part II. Boston University and UMass-Lowell will play a rematch of the 2009 Hockey East Championship Game Friday night at the Tsongas Center, while Northeastern will make a short trip to Merrimack College on Friday.

UNH was victorious in the first meeting of the season against their arch rival the Maine Black Bears on Oct. 24th when they came out on top with a 5-2 home victory in Durham. Maine is coming off a strong weekend in Vermont grabbing three points and will look to continue their power-play dominance. The Black Bears went 4-for-7 and 3-for-6 on the power-play against UVM last weekend, earning them the top spot in the nation among Div. I teams. The Wildcats will turn to Brian Foster (Pembroke, N.H.) to be a strong backstop in net after being named Hockey East Goalie of the Month in January for the second consecutive month. UNH

http://gazettenet.com/2010/02/05/umass-hopes-get-hot-ice

AMHERST - With just over a month left in the regular season, goaltender Paul Dainton and most of his University of Massachusetts teammates are in new territory as the Minutemen compete for a top-four berth in the Hockey East Tournament.

No. 15 UMass and No. 14 Boston College, who are tied for second place in the conference with 22 points each, will play at 7:30 tonight at the Mullins Center. The game will be televised on NESN,

Dainton knows how he plays could go a long way in deciding the tournament fate of the Minutemen (16-10, 11-8 Hockey East).

"This game is huge and every game we play from here on out is big," said Dainton, a junior who enters the game with a 2.68 goals-against average and a .912 save percentage. "I definitely feel confident. I feel dialed up. I feel fast. I'm looking forward to Friday,

"You live for these types of games," he added. "Since I've been here we haven't been tied for second and going for home-ice advantage. It's always been a last-minute push. This hasn't guaranteed us anything, but its given us some breathing room. We're in control of our own fate."

The top four teams will host the quarterfinal series in the Hockey East Tournament.

UMass coach Don "Toot" Cahoon said he is pleased with the play of both of his goalies, as senior Dan Meyers performed well in a rare start in Saturday's 4-1 win over Providence.

"The goaltending is the foundation of the team. You'll go as far as your goaltender will take you," Cahoon said. "There are other aspects of the game that are critical, but none more than the goaltending. We need our goaltending to be real solid. I think it's in pretty good shape right now."

The Eagles (14-8-2, 10-6-2 Hockey East) always draw extra fan interest at UMass, but the game has added significance for Dainton because of his friendship with Eagle keeper John Muse.

"I look forward to playing against Muse," Dainton said. "I train with him in the summertime, so it's a little extra special."

Boston College won the first meeting this season 3-1 on Dec. 4, also at the Mullins Center. The teams will conclude their season series Feb. 26 at Boston College.

Junior forward Brian Gibbons leads the Eagles in scoring with 10 goals and 20 assists. Boston College is tied with Maine for the Hockey East's scoring lead at 3.67 goals per game and is second in goals allowed with 2.62 per game.

Muse is second in the conference in goals-against average at 2.47.

Cahoon played down the importance of tonight's game.

"We're at the point in the season where the season is so short that every game is huge," he said.

"But I'm trying not to oversell the game and just look at it as this is the next kick of the can and we better make it a good one. We're trying to focus on the path to success and not the destination."

IN AND OUT - Danny Hobbs will be a game-time decision for UMass after being injured last weekend. Michael Lecomte and Doug Kublin are both out of the Minuteman lineup.

HOCKEY EAST - Also this weekend, first-place New Hampshire travels to fourth-place Maine for games tonight and Saturday. With 27 points, UNH is five points ahead of UMass and the Eagles and seven points ahead of the Black Bears.

Fifth-place UMass-Lowell (18 points) and sixth-place Boston University (16) are also tangling tonight at Tsongas Arena, while the River Hawks are at Merrimack on Saturday.

The Warriors host Northeastern tonight in a matchup of teams fighting to make the tournament. The Huskies are tied for seventh place with Vermont. Both teams have 15 points. Merrimack is in ninth with 12 points.

Vermont plays both nights at last-place Providence. The Friars, who have nine points, are just trying to stay in contention for a Hockey East Tournament berth.

MARCOU, WELLMAN SEMIFINALISTS - Minuteman forwards James Marcou and Casey Wellman are among the 16 semifinalists for the Walter Brown Award given annually to the best American-born college hockey player.

Marcou leads the nation with 40 points and 32 assists, while Wellman leads Hockey East and is second in the nation in goals with 19 and is tied for 10th in the nation in points with 35.

They are among 11 semifinalists from Hockey East.

Also, UMass senior center Brett Watson is one of 18 nominees for the Hockey Humanitarian Award given annually to a Division I or III male or female player who demonstrates outstanding community service.

OPERATION 8K ROUND 2 - The game is Operation 8K Part II at UMass, a promotion to sell out the Mullins Center. 8K Part I was the Minutemen's Dec. 4 game against Boston College which drew 8,100 fans to the Mullins Center.

Tonight is also Big Y Night. Anyone with a Big Y card can get a general admission ticket for $5.

ALL-DECADE TEAMS - The conference is offering all-decade fan voting at HockeyEastOnline.com. Fans can vote for all-decade teams for each individual school as well as the conference as a whole.

Matt Vautour can be reached at mvautour@gazettenet.com. For more UMass coverage, including a UMass sports blog, go to http://www.gazettenet.com/blog/umass-sports.

http://dailycollegian.com/2010/02/05/minutemen-host-boston-college-in-operation-8k-part-ii/

After playing to its first winning record in the month of January in three years, the Massachusetts hockey team finds itself in a prime position in the Hockey East standings heading down the stretch of the season for the first time in recent memory.

Tonight, the No. 15 Minutemen (16-10-0, 11-8-0 HEA) can improve that positioning when they host Boston College at the Mullins Center at 7:30 p.m.

With both teams currently tied for second place in the conference with 22 points

http://dailycollegian.com/2010/02/05/fight-for-second-place-in-the-hockey-east/

Heading into a matchup with Boston College today, the Massachusetts hockey team will attempt to claim a victory that would move them into the second slot in the Hockey East standings. The Minutemen (16-10-0, 11-8-0 HEA) and the Eagles (14-8-2, 10-6-2 HEA) are tied with 22 total points behind conference leader New Hampshire, despite UMass having one more win than BC.

Since losing 4-3 in overtime to the Minutemen on Nov. 13, the Wildcats (13-8-4, 12-3-3 HEA) have dropped only one conference matchup in their last 13 Hockey East games. With 27 total points, UNH would have to collapse down the stretch for UMass or BC to overtake it. In the U.S. College Hockey Online Division I Men

My predictions:

UNH AT Maine- UNH dominates 4-1

Maine wins 3-2. :pooh:

Vermont at Providence- Vermont laughs at Prov and smacks them 5-0

Vermont wins 5-1 =D>

Northeastern at Merrimack- NU is still hurting after losing in the Beanpot monday. Mack 3-1

Northeastern wins 5-1. :fan:

BU at Lowell- BU is dreaming of the Beanpot and overlooks Lowell. Lowell blows 3 goal 3rd period lead but wins 5-4 on a controversial video review.

BU wins 3-2. :scare:

BC at UMass- UMass sells out. Game is on NESN. Chance to become one of the great teams in Hockey East. They get their asses handed to them 6-2

BC wins 7-1. :russian:

Not bad... 2-3 on the night. Almost nailed the Vermont and BC scores.

Hockey East Standings after the weekend:

1. UNH - 27pts

t2. BC - 24pts

t2. Maine - 24pts

4. UMass - 22pts

t5. BU - 18pts

t5. Lowell - 18pts

t5. UVM - 18pts

8. Northeastern - 17pts

9. Merrimack - 14pts

10. Providence - 10pts

UMass is sitting pretty with a 4 point lead for home ice in the playoffs.

This weekends games:

UMass has a home and home with Northeastern.

Lowell has a home and home with BC.

Maine is at BU for both games.

Merrimack is at UVM for both games.

Hockey East is wide open with only 6 League games left.

1. UNH - 29pts

2. BC - 26pts

3. Maine - 24pts

t4. BU - 22ps

t4. UMass - 22pts

6. Northeastern - 21pts

7. Lowell - 20pts

8. UVM - 19pts

9. Merrimack - 17pts

10. Providence - 10pts

Lowell needs a split in Orono next weekend. Orono has always been a house of horrors for Lowell.

Hockey East is wide open with only 6 League games left.

1. UNH - 29pts

2. BC - 26pts

3. Maine - 24pts

t4. BU - 22ps

t4. UMass - 22pts

6. Northeastern - 21pts

7. Lowell - 20pts

8. UVM - 19pts

9. Merrimack - 17pts

10. Providence - 10pts

Lowell needs a split in Orono next weekend. Orono has always been a house of horrors for Lowell.

With how lousy UMass has been playing, and with 4 of their last 5 on the road, they might actually miss the playoffs!

Huskies stretch streak to six after besting BC, 3-2

Men's Hockey • 2/19/10

Northeastern treated its capacity crowd of 4,666 to a 3-2 victory over #8/9 Boston College on Friday night at Matthews Arena. Another solid defensive effort from freshman goaltender Chris Rawlings along with sturdy penalty killing throughout solidified the Huskies fifth-consecutive win and sixth-straight Hockey East triumph. Northeastern and Boston College close out the regular season series on Sunday, Feb. 21 at 3 p.m. Sunday’s contest at Conte Forum will be broadcast to a national television audience on ESPNU.

UMass continues their slide from 2nd in the league all the way to a tie for 6th and are now just 2 points from falling out of the playoffs...

Ugh.

Standings after Saturday night:

1. UNH-32pts

t2. BC-26pts

t2. Maine- 26pts

4. BU-24pts

5. Northeastern-23pts

t6. Lowell- 22pts

t6. Usuck-22pts

8. Merrimack-21pts

9. Vermont-20pts

10. Providence-12pts

UPCOMING SCHEDULE:

SUNDAY:

Northeastern at BC 3pm- ESPNU

TUESDAY:

Merrimack at BC

FRIDAY:

Providence at Lowell

USuck at BC

Maine at Merrimack

UNH at Northeastern

BU at Vermont

SATURDAY:

Lowell at Providence

Maine at Merrimack

Northeastern at UNH

The Huskies really came to play on Sunday. BC crushed them 7-1 and made Northeastern look like a High School team.

Talk to you the next time Northeastern wins :rolleyes:

Looks like BC is ready to head into the playoffs...

crushed Merrimack 7-0 tonight.

It could get real ugly on Friday night with UMass heading to play them. Very ugly.

The Huskies really came to play on Sunday. BC crushed them 7-1 and made Northeastern look like a High School team.

Talk to you the next time Northeastern wins :rolleyes:

A split is a split chump

And Lowell.....They're always be the cesspool of Hockey East

You must live there

A split is a split chump

And Lowell.....They're always be the cesspool of Hockey East

You must live there

If Lowell is the cesspool of Hockey East why do they have a 53-36-7 (10-3 in the playoffs) record against Northeastern?

Archived