**** Official Hockey East 2009-2010 Season Thread ****

Gainzo

Looks like BC is ready to head into the playoffs...

crushed Merrimack 7-0 tonight.

It could get real ugly on Friday night with UMass heading to play them. Very ugly.

BC has been on fire since January 12th. They are 9-4 with 56 goals for and 25 against.

The funny thing is they went 1-2 against Lowell during that stretch scoring 4 goals and giving up 8.

Hockey East is a mess this season.

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tonights results:

Lowell 4 - Providence 0

BC 2 - UMass 1 (OT)

Merrimack 6 - Maine 3

UNH 4 - Northeastern 4

UVM 7 - BU 3

Hockey East Standings:

1. UNH 33pts

2. BC 32pts

3. Maine 26pts

t4. BU 24pts

t4. Lowell 24pts

t4. Northeastern 24pts

7. Merrimack 23pts

8. UMass 22pts

9. Vermont 20pts

10. Providence 12pts

Tonights results:

Lowell 4 - Providence 0

BC 2 - UMass 1 (OT)

Merrimack 6 - Maine 3

UNH 4 - Northeastern 4

UVM 7 - BU 3

Hockey East Standings:

1. UNH 33pts

2. BC 32pts

3. Maine 26pts

t4. BU 24pts

t4. Lowell 24pts

t4. Northeastern 24pts

7. Merrimack 23pts

8. UMass 22pts

9. Vermont 20pts

10. Providence 12pts

VT wins so they move into a tie with UMass... UMass has the tie breaker, but VT has 1 more game to play than UMass.

Im officially on suicide and/or murder Toot watch.

This team has me so down that my blood pressure didnt even rise watching that game tonight. Didnt get upset. Didnt get mad. Saw the winning goal develop and wasnt even pissed. This team has crushed my spirit.

Good luck to Lowell. I hope you guys get home ice.

VT wins so they move into a tie with UMass... UMass has the tie breaker, but VT has 1 more game to play than UMass.

Im officially on suicide and/or murder Toot watch.

This team has me so down that my blood pressure didnt even rise watching that game tonight. Didnt get upset. Didnt get mad. Saw the winning goal develop and wasnt even pissed. This team has crushed my spirit.

Good luck to Lowell. I hope you guys get home ice.

Lowell is on a mission. 51 shots on goal tonight. If they win tomorrow all bets are off.

It all comes down to this weekend. Current Standings:

1. UNH 35pts

2. BC 32pts

3. Maine 28pts

4. Lowell 25pts

t5. BU 24pts

t5. Northeastern 24pts

t5. Vermont 24pts

8. Merrimack 23pts

9. UMass 22pts

10. Providence 13pts

Friday March 5th:

UVM @ Lowell

UMass @ Maine

BC @ UNH

Merrimack @ Providence

Northeastern @ BU

Saturday March 6th:

UVM @ Lowell

UMass @ Maine

UNH @ BC

Providence @ Merrimack

BU @ Northeastern

Its pretty simple for Lowell. If they win both games they will get home ice for the Hockey East Quarter Finals.

Lil Bit will tell you that UMass needs to win both games up in Orono.

Its going to be a fun weekend at the Tsongas.

UMass freefalls in less than a month from 2nd to 9th and almost out of the playoffs. So what do they do with a rare saturday night off???

Monday, March 1, 2010

Four men who reside at 29 Hazel Ave. – Casey Wellman, 22; Paul M. Dainton, 23; Chase M. Langeraap, 23; and Kevin Kessler, 24 – were arrested Saturday at 11:43 p.m. on a town bylaw violation of generating unlawful noise, according to police.

F#cking Assh0les.

One of the craziest college hockey regular seasons has come to an end....

And surprisingly its Northeastern eliminated from the playoffs.

Standings heading into the weekend:

1. UNH 35pts

2. BC 32pts

3. Maine 28pts

4. Lowell 25pts

t5. BU 24pts

t5. Northeastern 24pts

t5. Vermont 24pts

8. Merrimack 23pts

9. UMass 22pts

10. Providence 13pts

Final Standings:

1. UNH-36pts

2. BC- 35pts

3. BU- 28pts

4. Maine- 28pts

5. Lowell-28pts

6. Merrimack- 26pts

7. UMass- 26pts

8. Vermont-25pts

9. Northeastern- 24pts

10. Providence-14pts

WAKEFIELD, Mass. -- The Hockey East Association has announced the field for the upcoming 26th annual Hockey East Tournament, which begins on Friday, March 12 on the campus sites (best of three series) of the top four seeded teams. All series begin on Friday and are best of three series in the quarterfinal round of the playoffs. All quarterfinal games will begin at 7 p.m., except for the NESN game on Friday night, which begins at 7:30 p.m. The matchup on NESN will be announced at a later time.

No. 1 seed New Hampshire will face No. 8 seed Vermont at the Whittemore Center Arena in Durham. The Wildcats won the season series 2-0-1. It will mark the first all-time meeting between the teams in the Hockey East Tournament. UNH has been the top seed in the Hockey East Tournament in three of the last four years.

No. 2 seed Boston College will entertain No. 7 seed Massachusetts at Conte Forum. The Eagles earned a clean sweep against the Minutemen in the 2009-10 regular-season. The teams have met three times in the Hockey East tournament, including a BC sweep in the 2005 quarterfinals.

No. 3 seed Boston University will square off with No. 6 seed Merrimack College at Agganis Arena. BU earned a 2-1-0 victory in the season matchup. The Warriors last faced BU in the Hockey East Tournament in 1998, a 2-1 series win for Merrimack in the quarterfinal round. Merrimack earns their first tournament berth since the 2004 playoffs. The Terriers earned the third seed with a 4-2-0 record vs. Maine and UML, who all tied with 28 points. The Warriors earned sixth seed with a series win over UMass this season (2-1-0). The Terriers are the reigning Hockey East Tournament Champions after they defeated UMass-Lowell last year, 1-0, on March 21, 2009 at the TD Garden in Boston.

No. 4 Maine will host No. 5 UMass-Lowell at Alfond Arena after the Black Bears were victorious in the season series, 2-1-0, which helped them earn the last home ice spot. The Black Bears last met the River Hawks in the tournament in the 2006 quarterfinal round, as Maine swept with a pair of 4-3 wins in Orono.

Pairwise rankings heading into Sunday action (ECAC and WCHA Tourney games)

1 Denver

2 Miami

3 Wisconsin

4 Boston College

5 North Dakota

6t St. Cloud State

6t Bemidji State

8 Alaska

9 Yale

10t New Hampshire

10t Cornell

12 Michigan State

13 Ferris State

14 Northern Michigan

15t Massachusetts

15t Minnesota-Duluth

17t Nebraska-Omaha

17t Vermont

17t Mass.-Lowell

20 Maine

21t Colorado College

21t Union

23 Boston University

24 Michigan

25 Minnesota

As of right now, here are the NCAA Tourney Brackets:

Using straight bracket integrity:

1. Denver

2. Alaska

3. Yale

4. RIT

1. Miami

2. Bemidji State

3. New Hampshire

4. Massachusetts

1. Wisconsin

2. St. Cloud State

3. Cornell

4. Northern Michigan

1. Boston College

2. North Dakota

3. Michigan State

4. Ferris State

UMass in final spot... for now.

And Vermont, Lowell, BU, Maine and UMass all need deep runs in the HE tourney AND a lack of upsets in other conference tourney's for a chance to make the NCAA's...

Pairwise rankings heading into Sunday action (ECAC and WCHA Tourney games)

1 Denver

2 Miami

3 Wisconsin

4 Boston College

5 North Dakota

6t St. Cloud State

6t Bemidji State

8 Alaska

9 Yale

10t New Hampshire

10t Cornell

12 Michigan State

13 Ferris State

14 Northern Michigan

15t Massachusetts

15t Minnesota-Duluth

17t Nebraska-Omaha

17t Vermont

17t Mass.-Lowell

20 Maine

21t Colorado College

21t Union

23 Boston University

24 Michigan

25 Minnesota

As of right now, here are the NCAA Tourney Brackets:

Using straight bracket integrity:

1. Denver

2. Alaska

3. Yale

4. RIT

1. Miami

2. Bemidji State

3. New Hampshire

4. Massachusetts

1. Wisconsin

2. St. Cloud State

3. Cornell

4. Northern Michigan

1. Boston College

2. North Dakota

3. Michigan State

4. Ferris State

UMass in final spot... for now.

And Vermont, Lowell, BU, Maine and UMass all need deep runs in the HE tourney AND a lack of upsets in other conference tourney's for a chance to make the NCAA's...

And the updated Pairwise after Sunday's games: Red indicates a change from the earlier post

1 Denver

2 Miami

3 Wisconsin

4 Boston College

5t North Dakota

5t Bemidji State

7t St. Cloud State

7t Alaska

9 Yale

10t New Hampshire

10t Cornell

12 Michigan State

13 Ferris State

14 Northern Michigan

15 Minnesota-Duluth

16t Nebraska-Omaha

16t Vermont

16t Mass.-Lowell

16t Massachusetts

20 Maine

21t Colorado College

21t Union

23t Boston University

23t Minnesota

25 Michigan

So now the last team in is Minn-Duluth.

What a let down from Lowell.

It's been a disappointing season from Lowell but they had the chance to finish 3rd with a win on Saturday. Unfortunatley Lowell's Senior Captain received a game misconduct for hitting from behind 5 minutes in to the game.

By the time the 3rd period rolled around Lowell was running on fumes. They had to reshuffle lines and play without a guy who logs 25-30 minutes a night. Did I mention that he was the freakin' Captain?!

Lowell wins 2 games this weekend and I will be at the Boston Garden on the 19th.

Way to go Huskies! 8 of the 10 teams in Hockey East make the playoffs. Northeastern isn't one of those 8 teams.

See you in the "Official Hockey East 2010-2011 Season Thread"

Your thoughts JonE? JonE? Anyone see JonE?

Let me get this right..........

Toot makes $30K more a year than the midget in Lowell and probably has a bigger recruiting budget. So many things wrong with that.

Well... Toot got renewed a few years ago when they made the NCAA's so that probably bumped him up.

Blaise just needs a nice run to the NCAA's and then he can go beg Marty for a nice big contract.

The Hockey East playoffs and any NCAA hopes are over for Lowell, UMass & Merrimack.

Lowell lost in OT on Sunday night to give Maine a 2-1 series win. Such a disappointing season from my River Hawks.

I will start the new Hockey East thread in August. I'm sure all 5 of you who read this will be looking forward to that!

The Hockey East playoffs and any NCAA hopes are over for Lowell, UMass & Merrimack.

Lowell lost in OT on Sunday night to give Maine a 2-1 series win. Such a disappointing season from my River Hawks.

I will start the new Hockey East thread in August. I'm sure all 5 of you who read this will be looking forward to that!

***BREAKING NEWS***

***BREAKING NEWS***

***BREAKING NEWS***

UNH still has not scored a goal. :bag:

Has anyone seen the new projections for the tourney?

At least Lowell got something this season.

Hutton Named Goaltending Champion, Holmstrom Best Defensive Forward

Seniors Ben Holmstrom (Colorado Springs, CO) and Carter Hutton (Thunder Bay, Ont.) were honored by the Hockey East Association on Wednesday for their outstanding seasons with the River Hawks. Holmstrom was named the Gladiator Hockey Best Defensive Forward, while Hutton was honored as the Bauer Goaltending Champion.

Holmstrom was recognized for his tenacity and fearless style of play on the defensive end. The first UMass Lowell skater to receive the honor since Doug Nolan (1998-99), Holmstrom finished the season with a plus-seven rating. A River Hawk captain for the past three seasons, the Colorado native orchestrates the forwards on the ice and was a staple of the penalty kill unit.

"Ben epitomizes what Lowell hockey is all about," said head coach Blaise MacDonald. "He competes every second of every shift and is very difficult to play against. He always rose to the occasion at the most critical moments, whether it was a key faceoff win or a big penalty kill. It is a very fitting award and honor for Ben."

In addition to his defensive prowess, Holmstrom enjoyed one of his finer offensive seasons as well. Tied for fourth among the River Hawks, he finished the season with 23 points on nine goals and 14 assists. Holmstrom also led the team with four game-winning goals.

Hutton was bestowed the goaltending honor after finishing with the best goals against average (2.04) and save percentage (.928) among Hockey East netminders in overall play. In league action, Hutton ranked second in save percentage (.920) and third in goals against average (2.35).The Ontario native also led the conference with four shutouts.

"Carter played terrific hockey for us throughout his career," MacDonald said. "He capped off his senior season with outstanding play in net. He gave our team a chance to win every single night and really added an offensive transitional dimension to our game."

Finishing out his career this weekend, Hutton has cemented his legacy with the program after breaking three UMass Lowell records this season. He is now the River Hawks' all-time career leader in shutouts (10), goals against average (2.33) and tied with Nevin Hamilton (Ashland, MA) for career save percentage (.913). In addition, Hutton also set the program's single season record for save percentage.

Narrowly missing out on a third award for UMass Lowell, senior Jeremy Dehner (Madison, WI) finished as the runner-up for the Old Time Hockey Best Defensive Defenseman to Justin Braun (Vadnais Heights, MN) of Massachusetts.

BTW: Dehner was much better than Braun this season. UMass bias ;)

http://www.goriverhawks.com/sports/m-hockey/spec-rel/031710aac.html

USCHO's Final Bracket Projection

St. Paul

Vermont vs. Wisconsin

Michigan vs. St. Cloud State

Fort Wayne

Alabama-Huntsville vs. Miami

Yale vs. Bemidji State

Albany

RIT vs. Denver

Northern Michigan vs. Cornell

Worcester

Alaska vs. Boston College

New Hampshire vs. North Dakota

Conference Breakdowns

WCHA — 4

CCHA — 4

HEA — 3

ECAC — 2

CHA — 2

AHA — 1

Dropped In: RIT, Michigan, New Hampshire

Dropped Out and Last Teams Out: Minnesota-Duluth, Ferris State

http://www.uscho.com/news/id,18483/FinalBracketologyMarch202010.html

The actual bracket:

Midwest Regional:

(1) Miami vs. (4) Alabama-Huntsville

(2) Bemidji State vs. (3) Michigan

East Regional:

(1) Denver vs. (4) RIT

(2) Cornell vs. (3) New Hampshire

West Regional:

(1) Wisconsin vs. (4) Vermont

(2) St. Cloud State vs. (3) Northern Michigan

Northeast Regional:

(1) Boston College vs. (4) Alaska

(2) North Dakota vs. (3) Yale

The actual bracket:

Midwest Regional:

(1) Miami vs. (4) Alabama-Huntsville

(2) Bemidji State vs. (3) Michigan

East Regional:

(1) Denver vs. (4) RIT

(2) Cornell vs. (3) New Hampshire

West Regional:

(1) Wisconsin vs. (4) Vermont

(2) St. Cloud State vs. (3) Northern Michigan

Northeast Regional:

(1) Boston College vs. (4) Alaska

(2) North Dakota vs. (3) Yale

UNH won the regular season title and BC won the HE playoffs so I have no problems with those selections.

I have a huge problem with Vermont. They had a good out of conference record (early in the season) but sucked in Hockey East. BC embarrassed them on Friday night but because of the silly PairWaise in College Hockey they made the NCAA's

Lowell: 19-16-4 (12-11-4 HE)

UMass: 18-18-0 (13-14-0 HE)

Vermont: 17-14-7 (9-11-7 HE)

Northeastern: 16-16-2 (11-14-2 HE)

I want to see UVM go down 6-0. I hate that program.

UNH won the regular season title and BC won the HE playoffs so I have no problems with those selections.

I have a huge problem with Vermont. They had a good out of conference record (early in the season) but sucked in Hockey East. BC embarrassed them on Friday night but because of the silly PairWaise in College Hockey they made the NCAA's

Lowell: 19-16-4 (12-11-4 HE)

UMass: 18-18-0 (13-14-0 HE)

Vermont: 17-14-7 (9-11-7 HE)

Northeastern: 16-16-2 (11-14-2 HE)

I want to see UVM go down 6-0. I hate that program.

they'll probably make the frozen four again...

they'll probably make the frozen four again...

Lowell and UMass are much better teams than UVM.

If Lowell's captain didn't get tossed 3 minutes into the game a few weeks ago UVM would be on life support.

Archived