**** Official Hockey East 2009-2010 Season Thread ****

Gainzo

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply
at least we dont charge you to park.

Like you have ever paid to park at a Lowell home game. All the idiots park in the City garages while us cagey veterans park on Suffolk or Cabot Street.

They don't charge you anything at Notini's do they?

Like you have ever paid to park at a Lowell home game. All the idiots park in the City garages while us cagey veterans park on Suffolk or Cabot Street.

They don't charge you anything at Notini's do they?

My visits before I met you I paid to park in the garage and the lots. Then I wised up.

Nope. No charge at Notinis. except for Spinners games.. never can find a spot on the street for them.

http://www.abc40tv.com/Global/story.asp?S=10505599

AMHERST, Mass. - For the second-straight season, UMass posted 12 Minutemen to the Hockey East All-Academic Team as announced by the league office on Monday. Each student-athlete achieved a grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 or better in each of the two academic periods during which he was actively competing.

Martin Nolet (Quebec City, Quebec) was named to the Academic All-Star Team which recognizes the players with the highest GPA by position. Additionally, Scott Crowder (Nashua, N.H.) and John Wessbecker (Victoria, Minn.) earned Distinguished Scholar honors for having been on the all-academic team for four years.

This marks the fourth consecutive season that UMass has posted 10-or-more student-athletes on the All-Academic Team. In 2006-07 a program-record 13 earned the distinction.

Nolet and co-captain Brett Watson (Media, Pa.) earned All-Academic honors for the third consecutive season, while Brian Keane (Shortsville, N.Y.), Michael Lecomte (St. Hyacinthe, Quebec), All-American James Marcou (Kings Park, N.Y.), and co-captain Cory Quirk (Brockton, Mass.) each earned the honor for the second time in their careers.

In all, a league-record 94 student-athletes to the 2008-2009 All-Academic Team in Hockey East's 25th season of play.

Merrimack College set the standard in the conference this year with 16 honorees, while the University of Maine placed 13 student-athletes on the team. Northeastern University and UMass-Lowell also had a strong presence on the team with 11 and 10 student-athletes respectively.

The league also boasted a record setting 10 student-athletes that received "Distinguished Scholar" status. Those earning "Distinguished Scholar" status achieved a 3.0 or better in each semester over four varsity seasons. Maine's Chris Hahn (Fort Qu'Appelle, Sask.); UML's Nick Monroe (Groton, Mass.) and Mark Roebothan (St. John's, Nfld.); UNH's Thomas Fortney (Webster Groves, Mo.) and Alan Thompson (Gilford, N.H.); NU's Denis Chisholm (Fox Valley, Sask.) and Rob Rassey (Shelby Township, Mich.), along with Providence College's Kyle Laughlin (Gambrills, Md.) rounded out the group of "Distinguished Scholars" with Crowder and Wessbecker.

Merrimack College junior goaltender Andrew Braithwaite (Kingston, Ont.) and UMass-Lowell junior forward Frank Stegnar (Toronto, Ont.) earned 4.0 GPA's on the year to earn Hockey East Top-Scholar Athlete honors for the league's 25th anniversary season.

University of Massachusetts (12)

Scott Crowder +

Brian Keane **

Doug Kublin

Ryan Leary

Michael Lecomte **

James Marcou **

Martin Nolet ***

Cory Quirk **

T.J. Syner

Brett Watson ***

Casey Wellman

John Wessbecker +

Academic All-Star Team

(Top GPAs by position)

G: Andrew Braithwaite, MC (4.00)

D: Martin Nolet, UMass (3.95)

D: Ryan Ruikka, Boston U. (3.88)

F: Chris Hahn, Maine (3.84)

F: J.C. Robitaille, MC (3.93)

F: Frank Stegnar, UML (4.00)

+ - Indicates "Distinguished Scholar" who has posted a 3.0 or better in each semester during his four years.

*** - Indicates three-time honoree

** - Indicates two-time honoree

I dont consider I-AA to be a real championship.

:D

thats why I dont recognize ULowell's Div II hockey championships...

DII? WTF is that? I think that is akin to snipe hunting. Somthing made up to keep kids busy.

I dont consider I-AA to be a real championship.

thats why I dont recognize ULowell's Div II hockey championships...

At least Lowell had a hockey team back in those days and was a founding member of Hockey East. UMass? Not so much.

Have UMass or UNH won a National title at any level of college hockey? No. Lowell? Yes.

UMass, ULowell, & UNH have something in common. None of them have won a D1 National Championship.

At least Lowell had a hockey team back in those days and was a founding member of Hockey East. UMass? Not so much.

Have UMass or UNH won a National title at any level of college hockey? No. Lowell? Yes.

UMass, ULowell, & UNH have something in common. None of them have won a D1 National Championship.

Lowell still sucks...

Wait a minute...... stop dragging UNH's program down with your two respective bottom feeder progams.

:corn:

Why am I arguing with you?

Granted, rooting for UNH is like rooting for the Sox pre-2004. Painful, but they are good and it doe snot suck totally to follow.

Rooting for UMASS is like rooting for the Washington Nationals. They have never done $hit and probably never will.

Why am I arguing with you?

Granted, rooting for UNH is like rooting for the Sox pre-2004. Painful, but they are good and it doe snot suck totally to follow.

Rooting for UMASS is like rooting for the Washington Nationals. They have never done $hit and probably never will.

Nah.. thats Merrimack. They always suck.

UMass is more like the Toronto Blue Jays. They have some talent, but can never really seem to put it together to become one of the big dogs. If they moved to another conference they would be real good, but in HE they are always a second tier team. They show some life, but most of the time they are perplexing to their fans.

university of no hardware is like the Atlanta Braves... they are good and always in it, but they can never seem to get over the hump and get the ultimate job done.

I'd rather be a fan of the team who is supposed to suck and then plays well as opposed to the team thats supposed to be one of the best but fails each and every year.

UMass is more like the Toronto Blue Jays. They have some talent, but can never really seem to put it together to become one of the big dogs. If they moved to another conference they would be real good, but in HE they are always a second tier team. They show some life, but most of the time they are perplexing to their fans.

university of no hardware is like the Atlanta Braves... they are good and always in it, but they can never seem to get over the hump and get the ultimate job done.

I'd rather be a fan of the team who is supposed to suck and then plays well as opposed to the team thats supposed to be one of the best but fails each and every year.

Well, you are a Jets fan.

BTW, those Atlanta Braves did win a title. So, for UNH, it is just a matter of when, not if.

eventually UNH will win it all...

hopefully while not with dick in charge.

We're dicks! We're reckless, arrogant, stupid dicks. And the Film Actors Guild are pussies. And Kim Jong Il is an *******. Pussies don't like dicks, because pussies get ****ed by dicks. But dicks also **** *******s: *******s that just want to **** on everything. Pussies may think they can deal with *******s their way. But the only thing that can **** an ******* is a dick, with some balls. The problem with dicks is: they **** too much or **** when it isn't appropriate - and it takes a ***** to show them that. But sometimes, pussies can be so full of **** that they become *******s themselves... because pussies are an inch and half away from ass holes. I don't know much about this crazy, crazy world, but I do know this: If you don't let us **** this *******, we're going to have our dicks and pussies all covered in ****!

What does that make Lowell? The San Diego Padres?

Pretty much... a few shots at glory, but mostly a forgotten, lousy team...

Good summary although I'm not sure of your Blue Jay analogy about UMass. Lowell has pretty much owned the Flagship.

what can I say.. I overvalue my teams a bit...

whats a sucky team that isnt a complete embarrassment every year?

Good point but.......... Do you remember when UMass was the beneficiary of an administrative error back in 2003-2004?

UMass Lowell, the surprise team in Hockey East in 2003-04, suffered a devastating blow Friday when the school announced that it has forfeited five victories this season due to the use of an ineligible player.

The five losses

Good point but.......... Do you remember when UMass was the beneficiary of an administrative error back in 2003-2004?

http://www.insidecollegehockey.com/7Archives/News/uml_0222.htm

Did the HC keep his job? Assuming he was not fired for normal inept coaching.

I would think you know the player is a transfer. You should know when he is eligible seeing he was a Maine recruit and obviously better then the typical UML recruit.

Did the HC keep his job? Assuming he was not fired for normal inept coaching.

I would think you know the player is a transfer. You should know when he is eligible seeing he was a Maine recruit and obviously better then the typical UML recruit.

Those are fighting words. Want to make wager on where UNH and Lowell will finish next season? Lowell is the better team.

I'll make a bet with both of you.

The Minutemen will not lose the season series against UNH and Lowell.

Loser of the bet buys the playoff tickets.... for 1 game.:D

Round Robin format best record?

only way someone who was with lowell will ever win a legitimate championship...

http://www.americanchronicle.com/articles/yb/131643143

By Barry Scanlon, The Sun, Lowell, Mass. Jun. 15--Friday was a day two area hockey luminaries won't soon forget.

In Detroit, the Pittsburgh Penguins -- and assistant coach Tom Fitzgerald, a Billerica native -- stunned the Red Wings, 2-1, to capture the Stanley Cup in the seventh and deciding game.

Fitzgerald, an Austin Prep graduate who went on to star at Providence College before a long and successful career in the National Hockey League, is also a former UMass Lowell assistant.

Meanwhile, in Canada, the Hershey Bears established an American Hockey League record by winning their 10th Calder Cup championship.

The Bears were led by center Keith Aucoin, a Chelmsford resident and long one of the league's top players.

Hershey defeated the Manitoba Moose, 4-1, in Game 6. Aucoin clinched the championship with an empty-net goal with 21 seconds left. He collected 23 points in 21 playoff games, tying him for second best in the league.

Hershey went 16-6 in the playoffs, eliminating Philadelphia, Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, Providence and Manitoba.

*** just a little note... his brother Bryan played at umass when I was there. Short guy who busted his butt every day in practice. Yet Genius Joe Mallen never gave him much of a chance. The players loved him, calling him Fitzy-bomb. Finally after plenty of injuries and lousy play, Fitzy got his chance and played with heart and hustle, something severely lacking at UMass since 1993. And he still never got a shot.. until 3 years later when Mallen finally woke the f#ck up. I loved the kid, and met Tom after one game... which was cool since I remembered him as an Islander. End of my story***

Round Robin format best record?

You know if you ever get arse back to Massachusetts LBS or I will gladly take you to a UMass/UNH or Lowell/UNH game.

Since your odds of making it here if you win the bet are slim to none, what can we wager?

You know if you ever get arse back to Massachusetts LBS or I will gladly take you to a UMass/UNH or Lowell/UNH game.

Since your odds of making it here if you win the bet are slim to none, what can we wager?

Yeah especially in the winter.

We can keep it simple. Displaying the winner's logo or something to that effect.

Archived