Mangini Not Making Friends In Cleveland ~ PFT.com

:Typotux:

Mangini Not Making Friends In Cleveland

Posted by Mike Florio on May 29, 2009, 1:57 p.m.

Browns coach Eric Mangini is ruffling feathers in his first year on the job in Cleveland. And it

It seems like he's become more strict as opposed to loosening up a little. I guess he didn't really learn from his mistakes here, unless he actually believes he wasn't strict enough.

The problem, as we see it, is that Mangini has learned nothing from his termination by the Jets.

And here lies why Mangina is a terrible coach and is destined to fail. It was my biggest grip when he was here and he is carrying it over to Cleveland.

Mangina is a stubborn arrogant bastard that does not learn from his mistakes and has no flexibility in his approach to running the show. Those types of coaches dont succeed in this league anymore and really havent since the 80's. You cant be a dicktator in the NFL anymore.

And here lies why Mangina is a terrible coach and is destined to fail. It was my biggest grip when he was here and he is carrying it over to Cleveland.

Mangina is a stubborn arrogant bastard that does not learn from his mistakes and has no flexibility in his approach to running the show. Those types of coaches dont succeed in this league anymore and really havent since the 80's. You cant be a dicktator in the NFL anymore.

Yea JiF, he's back to his power trip that started last year with us; BULLY THE ROOKIES. He did it with Gholston he did it with Lowery he did it with Keller too. Have we ever seen a newly hired HC come in with such a bad reputation gained even before training camp begins? I can't remember one.

:Typotux:

An NFL source said 'thats ****ed up'..thats whack..Firstly its about 7 1/2 hours to Hartford from Cleveland..Its an event for inner city kids so poor who will most likely NEVER go to an NFL game or get a chance to meet an NFL player..Sounds like some selfish player to me

An NFL source said 'thats ****ed up'..thats whack..Firstly its about 7 1/2 hours to Hartford from Cleveland..Its an event for inner city kids so poor who will most likely NEVER go to an NFL game or get a chance to meet an NFL player..Sounds like some selfish player to me

Ok but it would have been reasonable to have that event somewhere in Cleveland where the team is or at least an hour or 2 away. Mangini should not be forcing rookies who really have no say cause they are constantly in fear of their jobs and need to impress their coach (especially a coach who is known for putting players in his dog house for no apparent reason and *****ing them) to take most likely an entire weekend they had off to rest to do a clinic 10 hours away.

Ok but it would have been reasonable to have that event somewhere in Cleveland where the team is or at least an hour or 2 away. Mangini should not be forcing rookies who really have no say cause they are constantly in fear of their jobs and need to impress their coach (especially a coach who is known for putting players in his dog house for no apparent reason and *****ing them) to take most likely an entire weekend they had off to rest to do a clinic 10 hours away.

+1

That's the right way to be. Who TF cares ? He's not here anymore folks. Let it go. :P

Oh no. F that. I had to deal with sifting through Herm threads for three years while he was in KC, I'll be god damned if I don't post this ass clowns articles. I liked Herm far more than this jackoff.

Mangini's biggest problem is he is a horrible coach on sunday's. All this hard ass sh!t is loved by the media and fans when a team is a winner. But since Mangini is a dunce on sunday his entire operation looks like dog sh!t.

I'd rather have a hard ass than a guy who has cookouts and plays pickup basketball with the boys.

Mangini's biggest problem is he is a horrible coach on sunday's. All this hard ass sh!t is loved by the media and fans when a team is a winner. But since Mangini is a dunce on sunday his entire operation looks like dog sh!t.

I'd rather have a hard ass than a guy who has cookouts and plays pickup basketball with the boys.

It goes in cycles. Herm was going to be a breath of fresh air after Groh the dickhead. Mangini was gonna set this team straight after BBQ Herm. Ryan is going to make football fun again after hard ass Mangini.

Lets see what Ryan does. If he flops, we'll get another prick in here. You can bank on that.

That's why the argument for Mangini-supporters that, "See, Mangini is a good HC otherwise the Browns wouldn't have have hired him so quickly" was so ridiculous. (I saw the argument made on multiple Jet fan message boards).

We can't judge the quality of a player or coach based on what 1 idiot owner does. Woody made the right decision, Lerner made the wrong one.

JiF, I, Bleedin', and others discussed this when Mangini was hired by the Browns: for his NFL coaching career, being hired by the Browns was the worse possible thing to happen to Mangini.

He has no reason to learn or to change. Why should he? The Browns rewarded him for his methods. Thus, anyone who claimed that Mangini will be a good HC (remember the "look at all the great HCs who had losing records" threads in support of Mangini) were ignoring reality.

It goes in cycles. Herm was going to be a breath of fresh air after Groh the dickhead. Mangini was gonna set this team straight after BBQ Herm. Ryan is going to make football fun again after hard ass Mangini.

Lets see what Ryan does. If he flops, we'll get another prick in here. You can bank on that.

The chicken and egg situation, slats.

It's not the method that makes a coach good, it's a good coach that makes the method work.

Being a disciplinarian or a player's coach in and of itself DOES NOT equal success. There have been disciplinarians that have won SBs and others who have failed. The same with the player's coach.

Tom Coughlin was a damn good HC before he came to the Giants. People forget that he won 12+ games multiple times and went to 2 AFC championship games before he went to the Giants. He was also successful at BC. So it was ludicrous when the media or fans tried to equate Mangini's situation going into this year (assuming he wasn't fired) to Coughlin entering the SB year.

Coughlin was a good HC + he was a disciplinarian. He wasn't a good HC because he was a disciplinarian. Dungy is a good HC + a player's coach. Same with Vermeil. They weren't successful because they were player's coaches.

If Herm had been good at preparing his team, good at devising game plans, and good at making in-game adjustments he would have been a good HC regardless of whether he was a player's coach or disciplinarian. The same for Mangini.

The reason I will strongly disagree with you, slats, on Rex is that unlike Herm or Mangini or Groh, Rex actually has a resume. He's proven himself as a DC to be a good coach. That doesn't mean he'll be a good HC (see, Ryan, Buddy), but it means Rex--unlike Herm, Mangini, or Groh--has an actual personally made foundation to rely on in coaching.

So, the 3 areas I've mentioned for being a good HC (preparing team, devising game plans, making in-game adjustments) I believe Rex has definately shown the ability to do 1 (devise game plan) and probably 2 (preparing the team based on how he prepared the defense), and we'll have to see how the in-game adjustment things go.

Also, if those 1st 2 are a yes and the 3rd is iffy, chances are Rex would still be considered a good HC. A perfect example is Andy Reid. He has the 1st 2 down pat but somethimes he has been an awful in-game coach and others he's been good. Both Rex and Reid had a bona fide resume before becoming HCs, something Mangini, Herm, and Groh didn't have.

I don't think you are disagreeing with me. I've made the same case you're making now. Recently, too.

But the perceptions will continue to go in cycles. Coaches will always be considered too much of a disciplinarian, or too player friendly - until they win a Super Bowl. Only then will they know what they're doing.

I hope Rex is the guy as much as anyone. I'm just saying that if he's not, his jolly banter with the press, and his efforts to "make football fun again" will be harshly criticized, and a hard-ass head coach will be sought by the media and the fans. I'm confident about that.

Let's hope we don't have to find out whether I'm right or not.

I don't think you are disagreeing with me. I've made the same case you're making now. Recently, too.

But the perceptions will continue to go in cycles. Coaches will always be considered too much of a disciplinarian, or too player friendly - until they win a Super Bowl. Only then will they know what they're doing.

I hope Rex is the guy as much as anyone. I'm just saying that if he's not, his jolly banter with the press, and his efforts to "make football fun again" will be harshly criticized, and a hard-ass head coach will be sought by the media and the fans. I'm confident about that.

"Perception"? Yes, I agree it will always go in cycles. And I agree with you on what the media and fans will focus on if Rex fails. But they will be proved to be fools once again.

No, not for turning on Rex. They would be fools for believing that the method makes a good coach, rather than a good coach making the method work.

Great points slats.

IMO Mangini hasn't learned his lesson from his tenure in NY. The guy has had a pretty good ride if you think about it.

He was a DC for 1 season and then become a Head Coach. As soon as he was fired from his 1st job he was hired again as a Head Coach.

Rex? I have no idea what he is going to be like as a Head Coach but at least he has experience coaching in the NFL.

Honestly I don't see a big deal here. Sure the bus ride must of sucked but as a rookie they better get used to it.

I like how one of the "league sources" points out thats it's B.S. Voluntary implying that everything else in the NFL labeled vonuntary is truly voluntary.

Honestly I don't see a big deal here. Sure the bus ride must of sucked but as a rookie they better get used to it.

I like how one of the "league sources" points out thats it's B.S. Voluntary implying that everything else in the NFL labeled vonuntary is truly voluntary.

Mangini and the other Coaches who went to the Camp flew to Hartford while the rookies rode the bus. I'm not sure if it was backlash by the media or fans but Mangini took the bus back to Cleveland.

Mangini and the other Coaches who went to the Camp flew to Hartford while the rookies rode the bus. I'm not sure if it was backlash by the media or fans but Mangini took the bus back to Cleveland.

I guess what I don't get is since when did everyone really care how rookies were treated?

I guess what I don't get is since when did everyone really care how rookies were treated?

This isn't 1972. If Mangini flew his rookies to Hartford no one would care but he put them on a 10 hour bus ride. These guys aren't minor league baseball players.

This isn't 1972. If Mangini flew his rookies to Hartford no one would care but he put them on a 10 hour bus ride. These guys aren't minor league baseball players.

I don't know. I guess everyones view on how bad a 10 hour bus ride is varies. IMO there are things I can get done on a bus that I can't do at home like reading a good book. I have a stack of books I want to read but my options for entertainment are home are just to great. If my job asked me to go somewhere that required a 10 hour bus ride I would just grab a book and be fine.

Being a charity event i'm sure the entity that was funding everything was trying to keep costs as low as they could. Also if I was one of the players I would of honestly prefered no coaches on the bus otherwise I would of felt like I would of had to have my nose in the playbook the entire ride.

I don't know. I guess everyones view on how bad a 10 hour bus ride is varies. IMO there are things I can get done on a bus that I can't do at home like reading a good book. I have a stack of books I want to read but my options for entertainment are home are just to great. If my job asked me to go somewhere that required a 10 hour bus ride I would just grab a book and be fine.

Being a charity event i'm sure the entity that was funding everything was trying to keep costs as low as they could. Also if I was one of the players I would of honestly prefered no coaches on the bus otherwise I would of felt like I would of had to have my nose in the playbook the entire ride.

No one on the planet would volunteer to do a charity event where you had to ride 20 hours in a bus to do it. Mandatory community service doesn't even make you have to do something like that. The whole point is that it was another bite of the **** sandwich if you are a brown's player. Mangini is making enemies out of his players. There is the difference between being a tough coach whom demands respect and ******* that everyone hates.

Archived