Mangini Not Making Friends In Cleveland ~ PFT.com

No one on the planet would volunteer to do a charity event where you had to ride 20 hours in a bus to do it.

Really? You must have a really bad view of the human race.

I would do it if I believed in what the charity was for enough.

There were about 15 Jet player and coaches who also worked the camp..The camp has about 80% of the kids from the poorest cities in Ct who will most likely never see an NFL game in person or meet an NFL player..They had a chance to get coached up by Rex and Rob Ryan and talk with Dustin Keller, joke around with brian Cox...I mapquested the bus ride..8 hours not 10..I would like to ride on a luxury bus , watch movies,take naps and listen to my Ipod for the day..This is what passes for f**king news. there are some 22 year old's doing a 8 hour shift on the streets of Bagdad and Kabul today..f**kng pathetic..really

There were about 15 Jet player and coaches who also worked the camp..The camp has about 80% of the kids from the poorest cities in Ct who will most likely never see an NFL game in person or meet an NFL player..They had a chance to get coached up by Rex and Rob Ryan and talk with Dustin Keller, joke around with brian Cox...I mapquested the bus ride..8 hours not 10..I would like to ride on a luxury bus , watch movies,take naps and listen to my Ipod for the day..This is what passes for f**king news. there are some 22 year old's doing a 8 hour shift on the streets of Bagdad and Kabul today..f**kng pathetic..really

1) A bus doesn't travel as fast as a car. Even still, an 8 hour bus ride (each way) is awful. After working out all week, you get to sit on a bus for 16-20 hours over a weekend. And Mangini wasn't going to take that bus back himself until he got shamed into it. That you would personally like to do it is irrelevant; neither you nor Mangini are the authority for what people should be doing with their free time while trying out for an NFL team.

2) This was a bully move forcing these guys - first year players, most of whom are fighting for a roster spot - to a "voluntary" trip to Mangini's football camp on an off-season weekend. Not one of the 19 first-year players has said he wanted to go. Bringing up Jets names like Keller is not the same; Keller clearly was not forced to go since he doesn't play under Mangini anymore and it isn't nearly the same trip.

3) The NFLPA is investigating it as a possible rules violation.

3) The NFLPA is investigating it as a possible rules violation.

They can investigate all they want. I honestly don't think what he did is inconsistent with the NFL definition of voluntary.

Glenn, the 15 Jet players and coaches DID NOT take the bus ride.

Plus, NY/NJ is waaaaayyyy closer to Connecticut than Cleveland. So, traveling to the cap from NY/NJ is way easier for anyone from the Jets than the Cleveland organization.

And, you really going to rely on mapquest for the ACTUAL time it took to travel? The article said it was 10 hrs real time. I trust what actually happened over what mapquest hypothesizes would happen.

If you really wanted pros to work the camp, wouldn't he and THE CAMP have been better off convincing a few of the Cleveland vets to take a short plane ride to CT, rather than putting a bunch of no names on a 10 hour bus ride, especially since Mangini took the "comfy" plane ride, himself?

And wouldn't the kids at the camp gotten more of a kick out of seeing a Brady Quinn or a Joshua Cribbs than some rookie nobody ever heard of?

I don't know.

After seeing Mangini's act here in NY for the last 3 years and how he handled certain situations with players (the Kendall episode comes to mind), there is no doubt in my mind he was bullying the rookies with this episode.

Just my opinion.

• 3 months later...
I'm bumping this because I dont want to start another thread about it, but how funny is that situation up there?

Is anyone else getting a kick out of it like I am?

Yes. I find it hilarious that somehow he got as much power as he had after proving absolutely nothing. Whats even funnier is he hasn't realized he's an idiot and got fired for a reason so in no way has he learned from his mistakes. The Browns are f^cked. :headbang::)

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/09/07/mangini-makes-up-his-mind-will-remain-mum/

Mangini makes up his mind, will remain mum

Posted by Mike Florio on September 7, 2009 11:18 AM ET

Browns coach Eric Mangini has made a decision regarding the identity of his starting quarterback for the start of the 2009 regular season, which occurs in six days at home against the Vikings.

But Mangini said Monday he won't be announcing it. He added that, obviously, he'll soon let the two quarterbacks know, in separate conversations.

And then once the Browns start practicing in preparation for Sunday's game against Minnesota, word surely will emerge as to whether it's Brady Quinn or Derek Anderson. It will be impossible to get the other players on the team to keep quiet, regardless of whether Mangini thinks that he can scare them silent. All it takes is one guy to blab on an off-the-record basis to a guy like me, and the word as to who's taking the snaps with the first-team offense will be out in the open.

The over/under on word getting out is 6:00 p.m. ET Monday.

For amusement purposes only.

This is what I've been talking about.

Mangini concentrates on things that has nothing to do with helping the team win. In fact, if he hasn't told the QBs yet (as mentioned in the article GrayHoodie quoted), then he is hurting his team by depriving the starter of much needed 1st team reps.

How anyone can insist that Mangini is a good HC is beyond me.

This is what I've been talking about.

Mangini concentrates on things that has nothing to do with helping the team win. In fact, if he hasn't told the QBs yet (as mentioned in the article GrayHoodie quoted), then he is hurting his team by depriving the starter of much needed 1st team reps.

How anyone can insist that Mangini is a good HC is beyond me.

Its truly amazing. What is he trying to prove? Is this all so the Vikings wont know how to prepare?

Mangina is a nut job.

Archived