Bob Glauber Saying What I've Been Saying About Jones' Contract ~ Newsday

http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/football/bob_blog/2009/05/i_believe_thomas_jones_should.html

I believe Thomas Jones should get more than $900,000

I realize that is not a popular sentiment among many Jets' fans, who believe that Jones should be beholden to the four-year, $20 million contract he signed before the 2007 season. The one he has already collected $13.1 million from over the first two years.

But Jones is scheduled to make only $900,000 this year, a mere pittance for the reigning AFC rushing champion, and has voiced his discontent by boycotting most of the Jets' voluntary practices this off-season.

Jones is back practicing, although the Jets have given no indication that they're ready to change or extend his contract. In fact, sources tell me they are not inclined to give him any more money, mostly because he has two years left on the deal, he has already collected nearly 2/3 of the contract and that the team doesn't want to set a precedent for other players.

But in Jones' case, I believe there is a middle ground that would only change the structure - and not the total value - of the deal. And by making one change in the contract, it would go a long way toward making the situation far more equitable for Jones, while still keeping the overall parameters of the contract in place.

Jones is due to make a $3 million roster bonus next March, and would receive $3 million in base salary in 2010. But Jones is concerned that the Jets would simply release him before next March, since he'd be 32 heading into next season, an age when many running backs are in decline. That may or may not be the case, but Jones is not anxious to find out.

At this point, the Jets have all the leverage, since Jones is under contract and would face fines for each day he misses a mandatory practice session. But we are not talking about a middling player here. We are talking about a guy who has rushed for back-to-back 1,000-yard seasons in his two years in New York. And with new head coach Rex Ryan advocating a smash-mouth offense that stresses the run, Jones can be expected to see plenty of carries this year.

If he produces something similar to last year's 1,312-yard, 13 touchdown season, then he will have far exceeded the value of his contract. In fact, he would easily be among the most underpaid players in the NFL for the 2009 season based on his salary.

I know. I know. He signed the contract. He got plenty of dough in the first two years of the front-loaded contract.

So how about this: What if the Jets simply move the $3 million roster bonus from next March into this year - or simply guarantee that the money be paid, thereby giving Jones a $3.9 million deal this season. That's still less than half the yearly average of Jaguars newly-signed running back Maurice Jones-Drew's four-year, $32.8 million deal, yet it's a far better reflection of Jones' value to the Jets.

I realize the Jets don't want to set a precedent here, and I realize that one of the reasons they released Laveranues Coles from his contract, rather than extended the deal, was because of that. But it was also because Coles' numbers and injuries proved he was a descending player. It was thus in the Jets' interest to rebuff Coles.

If Jones were a descending player, then fine. Keep him at $900,000 and that's that. But he has rushed for over 1,100 yards in each of the last four seasons, and his yardage total in 2008 was the second highest of his career. Those are not descending numbers, even if Jones is at an age when running backs traditionally - but not always - break down.

Remember, too, that Jones started a mere 18 games combined over his first four years, due to a combination of injury and ineffectiveness. He averaged just 125 carries per season in that span, so he doesn't have the typical wear and tear of a guy heading into his 10th season.

The Jets don't appear willing to make any alterations in Jones' contract, as is their right. But if they're willing to at least consider the possibility, and if Jones is willing to accept, then I think it would go a long way toward resolving a thorny issue that will continue to fester and won't go away any time soon.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And that is why Glauber is not a GM. Jones has been paid for this season and it sets a precedent for every player to do this with the idea that it will work.

What an awful idea, to give a player $3M he would not otherwise receive, for no reason. That this is his solution a month AFTER drafting Greene makes it all the dumber.

Jones has already reported and will be more motivated to perform all season long since he's unlikely to see the final year of his Jets contract.

The Jets have so much money tied up in big contracts, the last thing they would need to do is just erase $3M of cap space next year to be overly nice and re-pay a player who has already been paid.

Jones can have a $3M raise this year if he gives back $5M of the $9M he got for 2007.

And that is why Glauber is not a GM. Jones has been paid for this season and it sets a precedent for every player to do this with the idea that it will work.

What an awful idea, to give a player $3M he would not otherwise receive, for no reason. That this is his solution a month AFTER drafting Greene makes it all the dumber.

Jones has already reported and will be more motivated to perform all season long since he's unlikely to see the final year of his Jets contract.

The Jets have so much money tied up in big contracts, the last thing they would need to do is just erase $3M of cap space next year to be overly nice and re-pay a player who has already been paid.

Jones can have a $3M raise this year if he gives back $5M of the $9M he got for 2007.

+ a helluva lot!

I'm always in favor of any player exercising any leverage he has to get a better deal for himself. And I will always feel that way until the the league starts guaranteeing contracts. And I'm all for Thomas Jones holding out and pouting if that's what he wants to do. Good luck, Tommy!

But he has no leverage here. The Jets are under no moral obligation to give him more money, and it would be a terrible business decision. He's afraid he's going to be cut before he gets that $3M bonus, and he's probably right. He also probably expedited the process of getting himself removed from the team. His holdout very well could've been the catalyst for the Jets to trade two picks to move up in the third to take Shonn Greene.

Really, Jones isn't worth much more than $900K to the Jets. They could easily go into the season with Greene and Washington in the backfield, and probably do every bit as well on the ground as they would've with Jones. Maybe even better.

Oh and yeah, Glauber's a tool.

+1

Why would the Jets pay Jones money they have absolutely no intention of paying him next year this year? This makes no sense whatsoever.

A precedent? Like Coles? Like Moore? That ship has sailed.

There is no way in hell they should pay him the full roster bonus, but I can see them throwing a few more dollars this year. If not, I don't see how you can blame him (or be surprised) for trying. A lot of this will depend on what the cap situation will be next year.

A precedent? Like Coles? Like Moore? That ship has sailed.

There is no way in hell they should pay him the full roster bonus, but I can see them throwing a few more dollars this year. If not, I don't see how you can blame him (or be surprised) for trying. A lot of this will depend on what the cap situation will be next year.

I don't blame Jones for trying. He is ill-concerned with how people like me view him, and even if he did I'm certain he would rather have $1-3M more than my admiration for not putting in the request.

But with cap manipulation through ULTBE incentives, moving $3M he won't get next year to this year still robs next year's cap space of that amount.

He's been paid plenty, and given how much longer are the anticipated careers of Coles & Moore, makes it slightly different. This is a one-and-done season for Jones with the Jets unless he agrees to a significant paycut. They're not "buying" anything that they would have been "buying" Coles or Moore. Further, the Jets didn't have their potential replacements or future replacements on the roster as they (presumably) do with Greene.

I don't blame Jones for trying. He is ill-concerned with how people like me view him, and even if he did I'm certain he would rather have $1-3M more than my admiration for not putting in the request.

But with cap manipulation through ULTBE incentives, moving $3M he won't get next year to this year still robs next year's cap space of that amount.

He's been paid plenty, and given how much longer are the anticipated careers of Coles & Moore, makes it slightly different. This is a one-and-done season for Jones with the Jets unless he agrees to a significant paycut. They're not "buying" anything that they would have been "buying" Coles or Moore. Further, the Jets didn't have their potential replacements or future replacements on the roster as they (presumably) do with Greene.

Doesn't all that depend on what/if the 2010 cap situation is?

A little money buys a little good will. It's up to them if they feel they need it, but Jones is a reliable player and probably a very good role model in the weight room. Besides, what do potential or future replacements have to do with it? They cut Coles loose and I still don't see his.

Doesn't all that depend on what/if the 2010 cap situation is?

A little money buys a little good will. It's up to them if they feel they need it, but Jones is a reliable player and probably a very good role model in the weight room. Besides, what do potential or future replacements have to do with it? They cut Coles loose and I still don't see his.

Jones screwed himself. He should've been at the OTA's before the draft, and played good soldier, and then took a look at the lay of the land after the draft. He might be in a better position today if he had.

Instead, he held himself out before the draft clueing the Jets into the fact that they might need a replacement. And if they feel as strongly about Greene as the trade they executed to get him, Jones isn't needed here this year. There's no reason for the Jets to give him anything extra. None.

This is why front loaded contracts always cause issues...the players cash in early, then feel underpaid once the whirlwind of money is over. I would not be surprised if the Jets gave TJ hush money but think Glauber's idea sets horrible precedent. The Jets should focus their efforts on dealing with Leon and getting Sanchez into camp. I cannot wait for the Revis and Mangold negotiations down the line

This is why front loaded contracts always cause issues...the players cash in early, then feel underpaid once the whirlwind of money is over. I would not be surprised if the Jets gave TJ hush money but think Glauber's idea sets horrible precedent. The Jets should focus their efforts on dealing with Leon and getting Sanchez into camp. I cannot wait for the Revis and Mangold negotiations down the line
Can't fault him for trying but he and his agent knew that the upfront money meant less on the backend. He's older and he knows his next contract is almost certainly his last big one, so understandably he wants the most he can get before he retires. But he knew all this when he forced the Bears' hand.

One thing-any big back who has his contract expire after hsi 30th birthday needs to either fire his agent or rework the deal. And again Jones had to know all this then or his agent is a moron.

Jones screwed himself. He should've been at the OTA's before the draft, and played good soldier, and then took a look at the lay of the land after the draft. He might be in a better position today if he had.

Instead, he held himself out before the draft clueing the Jets into the fact that they might need a replacement. And if they feel as strongly about Greene as the trade they executed to get him, Jones isn't needed here this year. There's no reason for the Jets to give him anything extra. None.

I disagree. I'm far from Thomas Jones biggest fan but I would cringe at the thought of potentially having a rookie QB and rookie RB starting in the backfield. Not saying it would be a total failure but it's a recipe for disaster and as much as I love Leon he hasn't proven that he's capable of playing big minutes where all phases of the games (Pass protection, inside running) are taken into account. If Jones was indeed gone before the season (Which looks very unlikely) we'd need to sign a replacement.

I think Jones is important to this team this season. If not the field, in the locker room. He was never going to get a new contract and you're right in saying there's no reason for the Jets to give him anything extra, but I still wouldn't question his importance to the team this season. He's one of the few proven guys on offense away from the offensive line, even if all he's proven is that he's Mr. Average.

And also, The Jets may feel strongly about Greene's potential, but the kid was still a third round pick (Even though he was the #1 pick in the 3rd). Tough to be so reliant on the kid so early IMO.

BTW 124, that idea is horrible.

I hear what you are saying Irish but I think we are overstating Jones' value. The Jets have a veteran offensive line full of leaders as well as Cotch. In addition I understand the Jets want to run the ball a ton but for me running backs are very replaceable. If anything I am ten times more concerned about the wide receiver position and the development of Sanchez in comparison to TJ playing for the Jets or not

How'd he screw himself? They were going to pay him or not pay him. I don't think drafting Greene is going to make such a big difference. If the Jets made that move simply because Jones was whining we are truly ****ed. I look at it as being fair. He's a valuable player, probably worth more to the team than his contract pays for 2009. He can't deal with this bull**** much after the draft because he isn't going to risk his money by holding out from non-voluntary workouts.

Jones contract was not front loaded. It's just loaded with one down year in 2009. He is due a ton of money next year. He knows he's not going to see that so he's pushing for more now.

So we should sit there and pay him $900,000 and have him complain and be a cancer all season instead of moving up a couple million from next years salary into this year, which would solve the problem and keep him quiet.

Gotcha.

Your right, distractions always help a football team.

So we should sit there and pay him $900,000 and have him complain and be a cancer all season instead of moving up a couple million from next years salary into this year, which would solve the problem and keep him quiet.

Gotcha.

Was Jones paid $9M in 2007 just for the 2007 season?

Cancer shmancer. He will play as hard as he can because he will be playing for a last payday. I would hate for the Jets to come up short on an up-front/bonus offer for a new player or an extension to an existing player because we're short a few million in cap space to give Thomas Jones an unnecessary raise in what is likely his final season here anyway.

Jones did not make Jones' season. The OL and schedule did. Otherwise this would have been one of a few (if not many) similar seasons.

Gotcha.

He's not going to bitch and moan. He's not the type. He wants a new deal, the Jets have made it clear they aren't going to give him one, end of argument.

He's under contract, he basically has no leverage which is why he came back to OTAs.

His best bet is to go out and have a great year and hope that someone next year is willing to give a couple million to a 32-year-old RB.

The worst thing Thomas Jones can do if he wants one more payday is to make himself a distraction. If he does, the Jets will cut him loose and its doubtful anyone signs a pain in the ass 32-year-old RB to even the league minimum.

Was Jones paid $9M in 2007 just for the 2007 season?

Cancer shmancer. He will play as hard as he can because he will be playing for a last payday. I would hate for the Jets to come up short on an up-front/bonus offer for a new player or an extension to an existing player because we're short a few million in cap space to give Thomas Jones an unnecessary raise in what is likely his final season here anyway.

Was Jones given anything resembling an Offensive Line to run through in 2007 besides Mangold and Moore? No.

The guy just led the AFC in rushing and scored 15 touchdowns. He is making $900,000, which is nothing. There is no problem whatsoever when you have the cap room to take, not even all $3 million, but $1 or $2 million of the 2010 money and move it into this season just to keep him happy so we don't have to hear the slide comments and so he isn't talking in the locker room with other players about this kind of crap. Will he bitch and moan to the press? Probably not, but you never know. But he will be bitching to teammates, something that doesn't need to be going through their heads this season.

Have we not learned our lesson with Pete Kendall and Laveranues Coles?

I guess we havn't.

Was Jones given anything resembling an Offensive Line to run through in 2007 besides Mangold and Moore? No.

The guy just led the AFC in rushing and scored 15 touchdowns. He is making $900,000, which is nothing. There is no problem whatsoever when you have the cap room to take, not even all $3 million, but $1 or $2 million of the 2010 money and move it into this season just to keep him happy so we don't have to hear the slide comments and so he isn't talking in the locker room with other players about this kind of crap. Will he bitch and moan to the press? Probably not, but you never know. But he will be bitching to teammates, something that doesn't need to be going through their heads this season.

I guess we havn't.

Actually, those were totally different situations.

Both Kendall and Coles claimed Mangini promised they would talk about extensions. Thomas Jones is just looking for a payday.

Actually, those were totally different situations.

Both Kendall and Coles claimed Mangini promised they would talk about extensions. Thomas Jones is just looking for a payday.

Not necessarily Mangini, but the Jets in a whole, but I get your point.

To me, money issues are money issues, nothing really seperates it. We havn't learned when it comes to dealing with money and our players, thats for sure. This regime would rather piss off a player who could piss off other players than give him $1 or $2 million more to keep him quiet. It isn't like this guy is coming off a horrible season. He is coming off a Pro Bowl season.

The guy just led the AFC in rushing and scored 15 touchdowns. He is making $900,000, which is nothing. There is no problem whatsoever when you have the cap room to take, not even all $3 million, but $1 or $2 million of the 2010 money and move it into this season just to keep him happy so we don't have to hear the slide comments and so he isn't talking in the locker room with other players about this kind of crap.

I guess we havn't.

Are you joking?

There is no scenario under which Thomas Jones was worth $9M in 2007. If the OL was better, then it's the OL that's worth the extra money. Jones is a mediocre RB who had an excellent statistical season while running behind a premiere blocking OL and an unpredictable QB who kept the safeties deep.

If he had a great season despite a mediocre line, then that's one thing. It isn't. The OL and the threat of Favre winging it 40 yards downfield at any time made him. And the FO knows it. Since you watch every game, I can't believe you don't. He has little power, little speed, little moves, and little future as an NFL starter. You don't hand out raises to players like that. Especially when they've been paid (overpaid actually) on the current contract already.

You would give a raise to a 31 year-old RB? Talk about not learning lessons. And this is nothing remotely like the Pete Kendall situation as Kendall never made Jones-type money and it seems was clearly promised a contract redo that the Jets renegged on. Plus what would your solution have been regarding Coles, to tack on a 3 year $22M extension to the current contract of a malcontented walking concussion who has one 1000-yard season in the last 5 years? Not that he'd make it 2 years without demanding another raise on cue anyway. Yeah, what a "mistake" the Jets made there.

How'd he screw himself? They were going to pay him or not pay him. I don't think drafting Greene is going to make such a big difference. If the Jets made that move simply because Jones was whining we are truly ****ed. I look at it as being fair. He's a valuable player, probably worth more to the team than his contract pays for 2009. He can't deal with this bull**** much after the draft because he isn't going to risk his money by holding out from non-voluntary workouts.

Jones contract was not front loaded. It's just loaded with one down year in 2009. He is due a ton of money next year. He knows he's not going to see that so he's pushing for more now.

It was front loaded. He's already earned 2/3 of the money from a four year deal. This is the down year. Too bad. He makes this $900K, and he'll have earned the average base salary of the whole deal over the three years if he's cut the day the season ends - which wouldn't surprise me.

But he screwed himself by showing his hand too early. Maybe the Jets wouldn't've traded up for Greene if Thomas was a good boy. Maybe the Jets could've landed him with their original pick (that would've been pretty novel for this management group!). But it's likely that the Jets were more focused on the position because of Jones' holdout. Had he waited until after the draft to skip voluntary sessions, he might've been in a better position.

RB is the easiest position on the field for a rookie to step into. I'd have no problem with Greene carrying the bulk of the load this year. I doubt the coaches are too worried about it, either.

I guess we havn't.

He can tell his grandkids about leading the AFC in rushing one year, but it really wasn't a rushing title type season that he put up behind a very good OL and Tony Richardson. It's just that the rest of the conference was that bad.

And this isn't the Coles or Kendall situation where there's no replacement on the roster. Every Jet fan wants Leon to double or triple his carries, and the Jets declared that Shonn Greene was their #1 RB in the entire draft after they picked him. They're fine at the position if Jones sits out the whole year.

And if there's a cap in 2010, that $3M would be much better spent this year on players they'll want to have around next year and beyond. This is TJ's last year as a Jet. He knows it, that's why he's trying to get more money out of them now. He's back in the fold because he realizes that he has no leverage, and he'll have to put up a monster year for the chump change he's due to make this season in order to get a contract more to his liking in 2010. That's the reality of the situation.

Sure 900,000 looks like sh!t for this year, but:

1. He signed the contract willingly.

2. He received a nice payday the first 2 years of the contract.

He deserves nothing more. Not one penny. He got his money. He signed the deal.

I agree here. I think it's simple as that.

Not necessarily Mangini, but the Jets in a whole, but I get your point.

To me, money issues are money issues, nothing really seperates it. We havn't learned when it comes to dealing with money and our players, thats for sure. This regime would rather piss off a player who could piss off other players than give him $1 or $2 million more to keep him quiet. It isn't like this guy is coming off a horrible season. He is coming off a Pro Bowl season.

Every team has players who do this every year.

No one is pointing fingers and claiming empty promises in this situation like Kendall and Coles were. The rest of the team understands that this is an aging RB looking for one last payday.

If you are going to pay Thomas Jones more money, now is not the time to do it.

You wait until November and see if his play stays at the same level. If it does, and you've already locked up Leon Washington long term, and you know whether or not there is a CBA extension signed that keeps the cap in effect for 2010 and if you have some cap room left in '09, you push some of his 2010 roster bonus into a bonus for '09.

But before then, it makes no sense to pay him another dime.

Every team also doesn't have the AFC's leading rusher asking for more than less than $1 million this season.

I get that he made $13 million the first two years, I get that, and if he was under peforming I would say screw it, let him rot. But he isn't. And to me its stupid if you simply can't take $1 or 2 of the $6 million he'd be seeing next season and move it into this years salary. That isn't asking much. And if you're worried about future players asking for that you simply tell them that okay we'll do that for you as long as you lead the Conference or League in a statistic that helps the team and you are selected to the Pro Bowl.

Every team has players who do this every year.

No one is pointing fingers and claiming empty promises in this situation like Kendall and Coles were. The rest of the team understands that this is an aging RB looking for one last payday.

If you are going to pay Thomas Jones more money, now is not the time to do it.

You wait until November and see if his play stays at the same level. If it does, and you've already locked up Leon Washington long term, and you know whether or not there is a CBA extension signed that keeps the cap in effect for 2010 and if you have some cap room left in '09, you push some of his 2010 roster bonus into a bonus for '09.

But before then, it makes no sense to pay him another dime.

Any intelligent poster would understand this.

"That 124, is not."

YODA.JPG

Every team also doesn't have the AFC's leading rusher asking for more than less than $1 million this season.

I get that he made $13 million the first two years, I get that, and if he was under peforming I would say screw it, let him rot. But he isn't. And to me its stupid if you simply can't take $1 or 2 of the $6 million he'd be seeing next season and move it into this years salary. That isn't asking much. And if you're worried about future players asking for that you simply tell them that okay we'll do that for you as long as you lead the Conference or League in a statistic that helps the team and you are selected to the Pro Bowl.

Here is what you do. Give him a new incentive. If he has more than 13 carries and the Jets win the Super Bowl, he can have some cash thrown his way.

I get that he made $13 million the first two years, I get that, and if he was under peforming I would say screw it, let him rot. But he isn't. And to me its stupid if you simply can't take $1 or 2 of the $6 million he'd be seeing next season and move it into this years salary.

You don't get it. He gets his $900K this year, and if he earned his workout bonuses, he'd be over $14M for three seasons. That's satisfactory compensation for Thomas Jones.

And he's not likely to see any of that $6M next year. If he was likely to see any of that money, I'd agree with you - but he's not. He's going to be cut before that roster bonus is due, and he knows it. That's why he's looking for more money now.

He needs to be satisfied with his $14M over three years, and bust his tail for $900K this year in hopes of getting another starter's contract. That's what his reality is. He needs to deal with it. And showing back up at camp suggests that he's just now starting to get it.

I guess we havn't.

And he will be past his 30th birthday. Which means absent a remarkable unprecedented statistical anomaly(ie John Riggins retiring for almost 2 seasons midcareer and extending his productivity), his production is about to drop off the table permanently, and he and the Jets and everyone knows it. We've trod this ground over and over every time anyone brings up "Curtis Martin is a warrior!".30+ backs are not a good idea,and an even worse one if they command a big cap number. And he should have known it when he agreed to his last contract or he and his agent have no one but themselves to blame. They got this $900K year knowing all this, or should ahve known.

This is not MLB or the NBA. One a guy is no longer productive his cap number has to be justified.

Only read the first two posts so sorry if I am repeating what other people have said.

This article is just beyond dumb. Move a roster bonus to this year? When we're going to cut him after this season anyway is a very silly move to make. The guys is old and past his prime. Greene was drafted as his replacement in the platoon. If Thomas Jones did not want a front loaded contract he should not have signed one.

He might distract you and the espn analysts That is about it.

And everyone in the locker room.

Jones deserves some of next years money moved up into this year. He does. What he doesn't deserve is a long term extension, he is too old for that.

Archived