The best closer in NY baseball, so far this season:

Scott Dierking

Frankie Rodriguez

The best set-up man in NY baseball, so far this season: Bobby Parnell

If Parnell were on the Yankees, his hype would be "Joba"esque.

Let me start by saying that there are many excellent Yankee fans who post here but..................The title of this thread is "The best closer in NY baseball, so far this season"

Regardless of what teams we support I think we all agree that Mariano is the best closer of all time as he is a sure fire 1st ballot Hall of Famer.

The thread isn't about that so relax people.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Frankie Rodriguez

The best set-up man in NY baseball, so far this season: Bobby Parnell

If Parnell were on the Yankees, his hype would be "Joba"esque.

Not just the Yankees, if he was on any team that was top 5 in attendance people would be talking more about him.

And you would go 0-162.

Wrong.

A 79 year old Rivera wouldn't get more than 45 save opportunities. Assuming he lost them all, the Yankees still would not go winless.

You my friend were just owned, lol.

Yankees currently lead the best division in baseball. The Mets are up there in the division, but lets take a look at those teams. Phillies have a horrible pitching staff. Washington... um why? Atlanta has one good pitcher, Florida has a nice young staff, but they're still young. Even if you do have the better closer, who cares, your team still has problems with a Phillies team that has a 5.00+ ERA...

Yankees currently lead the best division in baseball. The Mets are up there in the division, but lets take a look at those teams. Phillies have a horrible pitching staff. Washington... um why? Atlanta has one good pitcher, Florida has a nice young staff, but they're still young. Even if you do have the better closer, who cares, your team still has problems with a Phillies team that has a 5.00+ ERA...

I am not saying the AL east don't have more talent but lets see through the first round of interleague play. The top 3 teams in the AL East vs the top 3 teams in the NL east record wise.

Mets win 2 of 3 from Sawx.

Phils win 2 of 3 from Yanks. ( could easily have been a sweep if Lidge didn't sell his soul last year)

Bravos sweep Toronto.

That's a record of 7-2

but yeah, why let facts and record get in the way of your agenda?

I am not saying the AL east don't have more talent but lets see through the first round of interleague play. The top 3 teams in the AL East vs the top 3 teams in the NL east record wise.

Phils win 2 of 3 from Yanks. ( could easily have been a sweep if Lidge didn't sell his soul last year)

Bravos sweep Toronto.

That's a record of 7-2

Yankees also could have easily won 2 of 3 in the Phillies series, if Girardi would have been smart enough to just tell Tex to bunt, and if he can't bunt, bring in someone like Pena, or someone else to bunt.

You Mets fans are acting like your team is impressive now. Yes, your teams pen doesn't suck anymore, although you wouldn't have been able to tell that from Putz tonight. Yet you guys are still behind in the standings to one of the worst staff's in the game.

Yankees also could have easily won 2 of 3 in the Phillies series, if Girardi would have been smart enough to just tell Tex to bunt, and if he can't bunt, bring in someone like Pena, or someone else to bunt.

You Mets fans are acting like your team is impressive now. Yes, your teams pen doesn't suck anymore, although you wouldn't have been able to tell that from Putz tonight. Yet you guys are still behind in the standings to one of the worst staff's in the game.

The Yankees were lucky to win one game against Philly, and you are going to bunt Tex in that spot. He has about 200 RBIs since A-Roid came back.

The Yankees were lucky to win one game against Philly, and you are going to bunt Tex in that spot. He has about 200 RBIs since A-Roid came back.

To win a late inning game, where a bunt, and a sacrifice fly could win the game, yeah, I would consider bunting Tex right there.

Bravos sweep Toronto.

That's a record of 7-2

So you will base it off of one weekend? Does that make sense?

"lucky" to win one and very easily could have won 2.

So you will base it off of one weekend? Does that make sense?

"lucky" to win one and very easily could have won 2.

There is that clause COULD HAVE, again.

We could say, the Mets very EASILY COULD HAVE made the playoffs the last two years.

They didn't. They choked the spit.

Baseball is not like horse shoes and hand grenades, where close counts. The majority of games could very easily won by the losing squad,

That is baseball.

I never thought I would hear Yankee fans now reverting to the "could have" argument.

Times are tough all over.

There is that clause COULD HAVE, again.

We could say, the Mets very EASILY COULD HAVE made the playoffs the last two years.

They didn't. They choked the spit.

Baseball is not like horse shoes and hand grenades, where close counts. The majority of games could very easily won by the losing squad,

That is baseball.

I never thought I would hear Yankee fans now reverting to the "could have" argument.

Times are tough all over.

So it's ok to say the Yanks were "lucky" to win one but not ok to say the yanks could have won 2 of the 3?

I am not reverting to anything just correcting a silly post from a jealous Yankee hater.

It's silly to be comparing anything at this point in the year, there is so much left of the season. it's nice to be back home in 1st place but it won't matter unless we hold onto it and do something in october.

So it's ok to say the Yanks were "lucky" to win one but not ok to say the yanks could have won 2 of the 3?

I am not reverting to anything just correcting a silly post from a jealous Yankee hater.

It's silly to be comparing anything at this point in the year, there is so much left of the season. it's nice to be back home in 1st place but it won't matter unless we hold onto it and do something in october.

I am willing to tell you that it is entirely possible that although someone may be a "Yankee hater", it is possible to be one without being jealous also. That is the camp that I am in.

And most of the reason's that I hate the Yankees are not because of the organization (although that is a piece of it), but more so the hate comes from a percentage of their fans that embody this entitlement element, and that their following of some team seems to actually rub off on them.

We have some on this board.

I don't give a crap what spin you have, you my friend are one Jealous Yankee Hater!!!!

I can not be jealous of an organization. That is an object, and I can not be jealous of an object.

If you are saying I am jealous of Yankee fans, well, I have seen some of them, and I have seen what and how some of them act and write on this site and others, and trust me when I say am certainly not jealous of that.

It is for those people, that I do not like the Yankees (the second most successful franchise in US sport history).

You, on the other hand, I am extremely jealous of.

I am willing to tell you that it is entirely possible that although someone may be a "Yankee hater", it is possible to be one without being jealous also. That is the camp that I am in.

And most of the reason's that I hate the Yankees are not because of the organization (although that is a piece of it), but more so the hate comes from a percentage of their fans that embody this entitlement element, and that their following of some team seems to actually rub off on them.

that is funny, because my reasons for always tweaking the Mets and Met fans are sort of the same.

The Met fan base, for the most part, walk around as if their team is an elite team in baseball when they haven't won a world series since 1986, haven't been in the world series since 2000, and do not get into the playoffs with any consistency.

Yet Met players and fans walk around with a swagger that begs to be deflated.

Also, it is a lot of fun to argue baseball...

of course you are jealous and that's ok. I am jealous(in a good way) of the Pats or Steelers. I want my teams to win and you want the Mets to win. I have seen 4 titles in the last 13 years which is 2 mroe than the Mets have in their history so it's natural to be jealous.

that is funny, because my reasons for always tweaking the Mets and Met fans are sort of the same.

The Met fan base, for the most part, walk around as if their team is an elite team in baseball when they haven't won a world series since 1986, haven't been in the world series since 2000, and do not get into the playoffs with any consistency.

Yet Met players and fans walk around with a swagger that begs to be deflated.

Also, it is a lot of fun to argue baseball...

There are a lot of fan bases like that (or at least a sampling of the bases).

Does it make one jealous? I don't think so. It just stokes the flames of a rivalry.

Do I wish my club had more success-Absolutely! Does that make me jealous. Not so much.

Mets rule!

of course you are jealous and that's ok. I am jealous(in a good way) of the Pats or Steelers. I want my teams to win and you want the Mets to win. I have seen 4 titles in the last 13 years which is 2 mroe than the Mets have in their history so it's natural to be jealous.

You don't know me, nor do you know what I think, so it must be really neat to project.

I love talking baseball.

I hate arguing opinions. Talking baseball to me is objectivity without your judgment being clouded by hatred or your own agenda.

The AL East isn't necessarily tougher then the NL East nor the other way around. The truth is both of the divisions "suffer" from the same sort of toughness in that the teams in the division just cannibalize one another. The only difference I'd say that the NL has "easier" in its division is the Nats. Doesn't mean that the top teams aren't any better or worse, but the NL east has one time that's an easier win.

I love talking baseball.

I hate arguing opinions. Talking baseball to me is objectivity without your judgment being clouded by hatred or your own agenda.

The AL East isn't necessarily tougher then the NL East nor the other way around. The truth is both of the divisions "suffer" from the same sort of toughness in that the teams in the division just cannibalize one another. The only difference I'd say that the NL has "easier" in its division is the Nats. Doesn't mean that the top teams aren't any better or worse, but the NL east has one time that's an easier win.

AL East is tougher as a whole. You are correct.

But the differences between the leagues is not as much as the snobs would have you believe.

Archived