The best closer in NY baseball, so far this season:

Scott Dierking

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If I had wanted to hear from a person whose thoughts and musings were trivial and worthless, I would have asked a rock. Because frankly, Blackout, a rock has more interesting things to type than you.

It boggles the mind that a person can be so inane and deaf to his own vapidness of thought, but there's the statue of vapid, you.

You graduated college? And this is what you offer? What prospective employer is going to hire a self-absorbed, offer nothing, ignorant of the social climate miscreant such as yourself?

Hardly likely.

Good luck with that.

LOL old man Dierking gets his panties tied in a knot being he's exposed for being a hypicritical bastid

you are hilarious

You don't mean the Yankees, where at home games, 14.7% of seats are empty?

Yes I meant the Yankees who are the # 1 team in attendance despite some crazy prices. I could see how you would want to go off of percentage since the Mets built an inferior park that sits 30,000 or so. But the real # is seats sold.

If I had wanted to hear from a person whose thoughts and musings were trivial and worthless, I would have asked a rock. Because frankly, Blackout, a rock has more interesting things to type than you.

It boggles the mind that a person can be so inane and deaf to his own vapidness of thought, but there's the statue of vapid, you.

You graduated college? And this is what you offer? What prospective employer is going to hire a self-absorbed, offer nothing, ignorant of the social climate miscreant such as yourself?

Hardly likely.

Good luck with that.

Wow Scott has lost it big time. Personal attacks and everything.

Quick someone bring back Madmike to close this one out. :-P

Of course I like to win.

But, when the Mets win, I don't think that I "won'.

You do that with the Yankees?

Go get 'em Scott. You search the interweb and blast anyone who uses we to describe a team they root for. Scott Dierking: Cleaning up the web one poster at a time.

:rl:

So when your team wins, you project that to yourself as "winning"?

And you say I have issues.

Do you have a T-shirt that says "26" also?

I don't have a t-shirt like that. I don't go shopping much so I prefer to buy clothes that offer a greater ROI. Since the Yankees win so much I have to buy things that will be outdated so soon.

When they win 27 I will probably buy one assuming there will be a few years in between before # 28 comes along. In hindsight 26 would have been a good one to buy because of the drought. It just feels dirty jumping in now.

Do you have a t-shirt that says "2"?

:rl::rl::rl:

Newsflash: Every fan base has fans that are arrogant. It is the beauty of sports. Acting like this is limited to the Yankees is jealousy and resentment in my opinion.

Right.

When I coach my son's Little League game tonight, I am rooting for him to make errors and contribute to a loss.

And when I go home to watch the Mets, I am hoping they play poorly also.

That's how I roll.

What I DON'T do, is when my teams win, broadcast it, like I am better than the other teams or if this somehow makes me have a better fandom.

If you parlay that into not caring, that is sad.

No instead you start threads about how great the Mets bullpen is in relationship to how the Yankees pen is doing.

You can't have it both ways Scott. You say you don't gloat when your favorite team wins. We have no proof because they haven't won.

Yes I meant the Yankees who are the # 1 team in attendance despite some crazy prices. I could see how you would want to go off of percentage since the Mets built an inferior park that sits 30,000 or so. But the real # is seats sold.

Explain how a park may be "inferior" based on number of seats?

I don't have a t-shirt like that. I don't go shopping much so I prefer to buy clothes that offer a greater ROI. Since the Yankees win so much I have to buy things that will be outdated so soon.

When they win 27 I will probably buy one assuming there will be a few years in between before # 28 comes along. In hindsight 26 would have been a good one to buy because of the drought. It just feels dirty jumping in now.

Describe "win so much".

Like within the last 8 years?

No instead you start threads about how great the Mets bullpen is in relationship to how the Yankees pen is doing.

You can't have it both ways Scott. You say you don't gloat when your favorite team wins. We have no proof because they haven't won.

KelsoBURN2.jpg

:rl::rl::rl:

Newsflash: Every fan base has fans that are arrogant. It is the beauty of sports. Acting like this is limited to the Yankees is jealousy and resentment in my opinion.

Am I not allowed to choose which fan base I can resent?

Or are you the overlord of this also?

I never said anything about "pens". I said closer and said "set-up"

I thought it newsworthy, as over the last 13 years or so, this has been an area dominated by the Yankees.

Or, are newsworthy notes not allowed on this site? Cheap imitations are not allowed to be topical?

The conclusion of this thread-Some fans got so upset at a premise that NO ONE, I say NO ONE tried to dispute the premise of, that the modus operandi had to become not to attack the idea originator, because it chopped at certain sensibilities.

There are certain issues that remain holy grail to some Yank fans, and it is always fun to peck at those

The conclusion of this thread-Some fans got so upset at a premise that NO ONE, I say NO ONE tried to dispute the premise of, that the modus operandi had to become not to attack the idea originator, because it chopped at certain sensibilities.

There are certain issues that remain holy grail to some Yank fans, and it is always fun to peck at those

Its pretty much agreed throughout baseball that Mo is the best closer ever.

Its pretty much agreed throughout baseball that Mo is the best closer ever.

I don't disagree, and have so numerous times in this thread- Although, I choose to relate it to this era--The closer era's are vastly different.

My premise was simple, and a rather small sample size (approximately 1/3 of a season).

The only reason for its noteworthiness, is that it is the only such period of such length, that statement could be made in NY baseball.

That is all. It is a little noteworthy. Whether it continues all season, I can not say, nor will predict.

I don't disagree, and have so numerous times in this thread- Although, I choose to relate it to this era--The closer era's are vastly different.

My premise was simple, and a rather small sample size (approximately 1/3 of a season).

The only reason for its noteworthiness, is that it is the only such period of such length, that statement could be made in NY baseball.

That is all. It is a little noteworthy. Whether it continues all season, I can not say, nor will predict.

I had more fun debating about the Metallica song

Describe "win so much".

Like within the last 8 years?

I consider what the Yankees have done is win over the last 8 seasons..

last season is the first one they haven't really won in a while...but making the playoffs is winning to me..maybe not a championship but I don't make my enjoyment of a season based solely on championships...

To me the Yankees have had incredible success even if you only look at 2001-2008. 7 post-seasons, 2 world series, 6 AL East Championships, I think the Yankees have treated me very well as a fan.

aren't Rivera's stats better than K-rods?

Rivera has a 1.02 whip while K-rod has a 1.01(not counting the AL/NL differential) and Rivera has a higher k/9? Rivera has given up 1 walk to K-rods 11? In all of the important stats that define actual pitching prowess Rivera comes out on top. That doesn't include the differential....

aren't Rivera's stats better than K-rods?

Rivera has a 1.02 whip while K-rod has a 1.01(not counting the AL/NL differential) and Rivera has a higher k/9? Rivera has given up 1 walk to K-rods 11? In all of the important stats that define actual pitching prowess Rivera comes out on top. That doesn't include the differential....

Blown saves?

You state WHIP, and then go to walks/k.

WHIP takes walks into account. Rivera has given up more hits/9 innings. Again, WHIP takes walks and hits into account.

It is close, I admit, but perfect is better than not perfect. At least at this time.

Blown saves?

WHIP takes walks into account. Rivera has given up more hits/9 innings. Again, WHIP takes walks and hits into account.

It is close, I admit, but perfect is better than not perfect. At least at this time.

so the only criteria you hold is blown saves?

Blown saves?

I talk walks because 1 walk to 11 is a big difference.

Rivera is pitching better than K-rod with the AL/NL differential in place. Blown saves aside, which don't tell the whole story. That would be like comparing starters only on wins...I mean, was Wang really the best pitcher in baseball for two seasons because he won 36 games?

Not by a long shot...his wins do not account for the whole story.

I talk walks because 1 walk to 11 is a big difference.

Rivera is pitching better than K-rod with the AL/NL differential in place. Blown saves aside, which don't tell the whole story. That would be like comparing starters only on wins...I mean, was Wang really the best pitcher in baseball for two seasons because he won 36 games?

Not by a long shot...his wins do not account for the whole story.

AL vs NL does not carry that much creedance, as KROD is never going to face a pitcher.

Rivera has given up a hit an inning. That cancels out the walks. The WHIP are the same.

Rodriguez has a much better ERA. Rivera has given up 6 homers.

Again I ask you the question-If Blown Saves are not the biggest criteria to measure a closer, what is?

When everything else is equal, it is certainly a big one when you are talking about a closer.

What is a bigger stat for a closer, in your opinion?

probably whip....I would think whip is a great determination for any pitcher...follow that by saves, since Rivera only has one blown save wouldn't that lead to having to look closer at other stats, such as k/9, whip, etc?

the idea that 1 blown save vs 0 blown saves is the best way to determine who is the better closer is a little weak.

In 2008 Brian Wilson had 6 blown saves, K-rod had 7...does that mean Wilson was the better closer?

probably whip....I would think whip is a great determination for any pitcher...follow that by saves, since Rivera only has one blown save wouldn't that lead to having to look closer at other stats, such as k/9, whip, etc?

the idea that 1 blown save vs 0 blown saves is the best way to determine who is the better closer is a little weak.

In 2008 Brian Wilson had 6 blown saves, K-rod had 7...does that mean Wilson was the better closer?

The WHIP is the same. Saves are not more important, as one reliever will have more opportunities.

Was Rodriguez the best last year based on # alone? I would give it to Lidge.

What about ERA?

Archived