A controversial issue, and it involves me.

vinnys025

What should I do? I was renting out an apartment in San Antonio Texas and the president ordered me on official orders to report to my base and get prepared to deploy me to Kuwait. I alerted my apartments and showed them the official presidential orders and they understood.

Now, my orders are up and I'm trying to get an apartment in San Antonio, however they are all telling me they won't accept me back because I have a broken lease. I explained to them why the lease was broken, but they said they are very strict about this and their policies.

Are these people freaking kidding me? I was ordered to be deployed and these same people that I defended are going to tell me that I can't rent out their apartments on the same soil that I helped defend? Wow!! I actually feel under appreciated and am outraged for the first time in a long time. What to do? Alert local media?

What should I do? I was renting out an apartment in San Antonio Texas and the president ordered me on official orders to report to my base and get prepared to deploy me to Kuwait. I alerted my apartments and showed them the official presidential orders and they understood.

Now, my orders are up and I'm trying to get an apartment in San Antonio, however they are all telling me they won't accept me back because I have a broken lease. I explained to them why the lease was broken, but they said they are very strict about this and their policies.

Are these people freaking kidding me? I was ordered to be deployed and these same people that I defended are going to tell me that I can't rent out their apartments on the same soil that I helped defend? Wow!! I actually feel under appreciated and am outraged for the first time in a long time. What to do? Alert local media?

This is one of those stories the local news/morning shows would love. They eat this stuff up. Especially if you play up the dramatics.

This is one of those stories the local news/morning shows would love. They eat this stuff up. Especially if you play up the dramatics.

Agreed, Good Luck.

I really don't see a problem, you can't find another spot?

Not trying to be a d!ck or anything, just a question.

you're surprised? The companies in the USA have put profits over the good of the country for years. Its why our country sucks now.

What will alerting the media do? Embarrass them so they let you back? They'll find a way to kick your ass out legally.

I dont know what the laws are regarding military personnel and contracts, but if its a binding contract you're f#cked. Just be pissed off and move on with life.

They're businessmen first. They're not interested in you as a tenant because they risk losing revenue again. Along with the soil that you defend is the ideological concept of liberty that affords them this choice. However, your best option, in my opinion, would be to inform them that you'll be protesting their property and also be doing everything you can to inform all servicemen in the area of their actions. I mean honestly, it wouldn't hurt them to make an exception given the circumstances, and this can't be the first time they've dealt with something like this in a city like SA. Given the fact that San Antonio has such a strong military presence, it might make them think twice since it could jeopardize possible future tenants. Especially since in this economic climate, servicemen are probably their safest source of tenancy for the time being.

Either way, keep us posted. I'm curious as to whether this is the norm in that city, because I'd imagine that apartment complexes deal with situations like this quite often down there.

(EDIT) - Just an addition, it's possible that a local statute has already accounted for something like this somewhere because of the city's demographic. Might be worth checking out.

I think you answered your own question Vinny. :biggrin:

I did some quick research on this. There's a federal statute that allows military members to terminate their leases early in the event that they are ordered up; see here http://www.rentlaw.com/military/real_estate_and_property_issues_for_military_members_pdf_version%5B1%5D.pdf (some states, but not Texas, have similar statutes) Did you follow the procedures discussed here when you left your old apartment? If so, you can tell any landlord that you did not "break" your lease, you "terminated it as allowed by law", and that considering you a lease breaker puts them at odds with Federal law (note - it does not actually violate federal law and they can't be sued, but that's a fine distinction they may not be interested in making :biggrin:)

Unfortunately, there are fewer laws about discriminating against military members in regard to offering housing once you return. Some states prohibit discrimination based on military status; if you lived in Massachusetts, you might be able to wave that statute around. Texas doesn't have any such law. And while the SCRA provides that a service member's election to cancel or stay a repayment obligation on being called to active duty can't impact future transactions, it does not say the same for termination of a lease.

Translation? The law isn't going to force anyone to rent you an apartment. That's my opinion after a short amount of internet research, and I don't practice in Texas anyway, so I could be completely wrong, but I don't think I am.

Your best bet is:

1) Make landlords aware of the SCRA's termination provisions and argue, vigorously, that you did not break your prior lease at all - you terminated it as specifically allowed by law. That may do the trick.

2) Definitely reach out to your local news station's "shame on you" type crews - they do get results, and you've got a very sympathetic story. Again, quick google work turned up http://www.woai.com/content/troubleshooters/default.aspx; I'm sure the other local stations have similar teams. One of them will probably do a story on you, and that may get you an apartment.

3) Definitely write your local congressman and state rep. This type of thing is both a legitimate problem that should be legislatively corrected (as your situation shows, allowing termination is only half the solution; the other is adopting a provision analogous to the "no future impact" provision in the credit portions of the SCRA), and a politically powerful cause for your reps to latch on to ("I helped make sure our soldiers had a place to live when they come home" isn't a bad thing to mention in a campaign commercial, especially in Texas), so there are two reasons why they may actually pay attention.

Thanks for your service, and I hope this helped

:face:

What?? Thats great advice.

San Antonio is a military town and should not treat one of their own like that even if he is a Jets fan. ;)

I'd call a radio station too. Every city has a Rock DJ whos controversial and likes stirring up $hit. Get your story out and you'll have your pick of apartments. Mark my words.

http://www.ontheradio.net/metro/San_Antonio_TX.aspx

My soil is pretty undesireable. I haven't mulched in years. I doubt anyone would want it. Thanks though. Landlsrfs are mostly greedy *******'s, gotta agree. The president of what?

President of the United States.

I did some quick research on this. There's a federal statute that allows military members to terminate their leases early in the event that they are ordered up; see here http://www.rentlaw.com/military/real_estate_and_property_issues_for_military_members_pdf_version%5B1%5D.pdf (some states, but not Texas, have similar statutes) Did you follow the procedures discussed here when you left your old apartment? If so, you can tell any landlord that you did not "break" your lease, you "terminated it as allowed by law", and that considering you a lease breaker puts them at odds with Federal law (note - it does not actually violate federal law and they can't be sued, but that's a fine distinction they may not be interested in making :biggrin:)

Unfortunately, there are fewer laws about discriminating against military members in regard to offering housing once you return. Some states prohibit discrimination based on military status; if you lived in Massachusetts, you might be able to wave that statute around. Texas doesn't have any such law. And while the SCRA provides that a service member's election to cancel or stay a repayment obligation on being called to active duty can't impact future transactions, it does not say the same for termination of a lease.

Translation? The law isn't going to force anyone to rent you an apartment. That's my opinion after a short amount of internet research, and I don't practice in Texas anyway, so I could be completely wrong, but I don't think I am.

Your best bet is:

1) Make landlords aware of the SCRA's termination provisions and argue, vigorously, that you did not break your prior lease at all - you terminated it as specifically allowed by law. That may do the trick.

2) Definitely reach out to your local news station's "shame on you" type crews - they do get results, and you've got a very sympathetic story. Again, quick google work turned up http://www.woai.com/content/troubleshooters/default.aspx; I'm sure the other local stations have similar teams. One of them will probably do a story on you, and that may get you an apartment.

3) Definitely write your local congressman and state rep. This type of thing is both a legitimate problem that should be legislatively corrected (as your situation shows, allowing termination is only half the solution; the other is adopting a provision analogous to the "no future impact" provision in the credit portions of the SCRA), and a politically powerful cause for your reps to latch on to ("I helped make sure our soldiers had a place to live when they come home" isn't a bad thing to mention in a campaign commercial, especially in Texas), so there are two reasons why they may actually pay attention.

Wow, thank you and everyone else for the info. I will do some research and find out my options. I understand its money first and that there are no laws in Texas, however if this is the case, then where am I supposed to live when I get back home from a deployment? It just doesn't seem fair or ethical. I don't want to seem like a drama queen and go tell the media or radio unless it comes down to that. I would probably get alot of flack from my superiors if I did such and act. That is frowned upon by the military, complaining....but if it comes down to me having a place to live, then to the news I go.

They're businessmen first. They're not interested in you as a tenant because they risk losing revenue again. Along with the soil that you defend is the ideological concept of liberty that affords them this choice.

You are right about the soil I help defend, you can put it my way or your way. I am walking a fine line here by even bringing this up, cause I put myself in jeopardy of looking like a complainer, and we all know that the military never whines, they just shut up and color and act like soldiers. Well, when it comes to me being homeless, I will have to say something, no matter what you or anyone else on here thinks of me.

Myself, or any other soldier drops everything to go overseas and puts their life on the line when they have families back home, the least we can have when we get back is a place to live.

This is BS. They should be ashamed of themselves. Especially in these times with all of the foreclosures happening to home owners, rental demand should be very high and occupency risk very low. These landlords need to be embarrassed.

Yes, tell the media, call radio stations, etc.

I don't want to seem like a drama queen and go tell the media or radio unless it comes down to that. I would probably get alot of flack from my superiors if I did such and act. That is frowned upon by the military, complaining....but if it comes down to me having a place to live, then to the news I go.

Complaining? In the pigs a$$.

If anyone has the right to rent an apartment if one is available it is you. Too fxkcing bad for them you got shipped out and had no choice but to break the lease. That goes with the territory when they rented to a person in the US Military which I'm sure they knew when you were approved for the lease.

Its my understanding that you tried to rent at a different location and they denied you?

Is that correct?

Wow, thank you and everyone else for the info. I will do some research and find out my options. I understand its money first and that there are no laws in Texas, however if this is the case, then where am I supposed to live when I get back home from a deployment? It just doesn't seem fair or ethical. I don't want to seem like a drama queen and go tell the media or radio unless it comes down to that. I would probably get alot of flack from my superiors if I did such and act. That is frowned upon by the military, complaining....but if it comes down to me having a place to live, then to the news I go.

Doggin's advice seems solid. I'm glad he did it because I was about to go researching it and killing another day at work. Don't you have a base legal office? They should be able to help you out and I'd imagine that they are well versed in laws preventing the public from prejudice against the military.

PS: I'm pretty sure there are laws in Texas, just nothing specifically about discriminating against members of the military.

Your best bet is:

Damn, I was going to say the same thing. Doggin beat me to it. Good luck Vinny.

Vinny that definitely is terrible. I think the best advice is what has already been said. Use the tools that exist today to make a big example out of them. Call the tv station, leave comments on the local newspapers site, email the local paper, call them.

Get someone to make a big deal out of this (which it is) and then hopefully they will do the right thing here.

Just be pissed off and move on with life.

Pretty much, yeah. Sucks, but thats the way it is. You want justice from a world that is run by Satan and his slaves? You may as well bang your head against the wall for all the good it will do. I remember my first "but I'm a veteran you can't treat me like that" experience.

I used to get disgusted, but now I try and stay amused.

Pretty much, yeah. Sucks, but thats the way it is. You want justice from a world that is run by Satan and his slaves? You may as well bang your head against the wall for all the good it will do. I remember my first "but I'm a veteran you can't treat me like that" experience.

I used to get disgusted, but now I try and stay amused.

Oh, what a set up. But I will refrain and not get Vinny's thread locked. :shutit:

sorry to hear that bro

best of luck

Vinny; Call either Congressman Charlie Gonzalez @ (210) 472-6195

Rep. Henry Cuellar @ (210) 271-2851

or Congressman Lamar Smith @ (210) 821-5024

one of these guys is your rep-find out which one it is and call and tell your story bro-you should get some help

Vinny; Call either Congressman Charlie Gonzalez @ (210) 472-6195

Rep. Henry Cuellar @ (210) 271-2851

or Congressman Lamar Smith @ (210) 821-5024

one of these guys is your rep-find out which one it is and call and tell your story bro-you should get some help

Thanks man, your awesome.

Archived