*BREAKING NEWS* AJ Burnett Suspended for 6 Games

Vudu

MLB has suspended Yankees pitcher AJ Burnett for 6 games & fined him an undisclosed amount of $$$ following his "retaliation" pitch over the head of a Rangers player, espn just reported.

Burnett appealing 6-game suspension

Comment Email Print Share

ESPN.com news services

New York Yankees pitcher A.J. Burnett has been suspended six games for throwing a pitch over the head of the Rangers' Nelson Cruz in Tuesday night's game. Burnett has filed an appeal of the penalty, however, and will be allowed to pitch until the appeals process is complete.

Rangers pitcher Vicente Padilla, who hit Yankees slugger Mark Teixeira with two pitches Tuesday, was fined an undisclosed amount.

Teixeira was hit below the right shoulder by Padilla in the second inning. Then he was hit on the buttocks in the fourth.

Burnett threw a pitch over the head of Cruz in the fifth that sent the cleanup hitter sprawling, prompting plate umpire Doug Eddings to warn both dugouts. Cruz had put the Rangers ahead 3-2 with a three-run homer in the third.

"I got to pitch in," Burnett said. "Warnings are warnings, man. It doesn't bother me."

But Teixeira hinted there was more to it.

"I think there was a little message sent," he said.

Rangers manager Ron Washington defended Padilla, who was activated before the game and allowed seven runs, seven hits and four walks in 3 2/3 innings.

"I guess he was trying to get inside on him, keep him from diving over the plate," Washington said.

So Aj Burnett yields the same suspension Carlos Zambrano got? Carlos Zambrano wrecked the dugout and offended the umpire, but AJ Burnett gets the same suspension? Bull****.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4230518

So Padilla hits Teix twice and only got fined, but AJ Burnett gets suspended? I understand Padilla is currently on waivers but doesnt he deserve a suspension as well? Or does being on waivers prohibit one?

So Padilla hits Teix twice and only got fined, but AJ Burnett gets suspended? I understand Padilla is currently on waivers but doesnt he deserve a suspension as well? Or does being on waivers prohibit one?

He should get a 6 game suspension whenever he starts playing again.

Right????

Beckett received a 6 game suspension and he didn't even get warned for the pitch.

Really? I thought he got like 4. I was wrong

Neither was AJ though... he was NOT warned about his pitch. I mean c'mon... Padilla drills a guy, TWICE. And then factor in their history in which Tex has been hit before by him, yet he does not get suspended (but as stated previously, dunno if that has to do with waivers).

Really? I thought he got like 4. I was wrong

Neither was AJ though... he was NOT warned about his pitch. I mean c'mon... Padilla drills a guy, TWICE. And then factor in their history in which Tex has been hit before by him, yet he does not get suspended (but as stated previously, dunno if that has to do with waivers).

MLB is getting out of control with this BS. I didn't see the pitch that Burnett threw but he doesn't strike me as a head hunting kind of guy.

MLB is getting out of control with this BS. I didn't see the pitch that Burnett threw but he doesn't strike me as a head hunting kind of guy.

Well... I mean it was a retaliation throw, he threw it over his head. This was after the 2nd plunk on Tex. After AJ threw it, the Ump warned the benches and that was that.

They are pussifying the game IMO. No one got injured seriously, the players police themselves and I believe that's why the Ump did NOT warn the benches after Padillas second bean ball.

If the guy didn't jump down, it would have hit him square in the head, so it was obvious that it was intentional, just like Beckett's pitch.

And Burnett DOES strike me as he head hunting type, he's got some badass in him.

If the guy didn't jump down, it would have hit him square in the head, so it was obvious that it was intentional, just like Beckett's pitch.

And Burnett DOES strike me as he head hunting type, he's got some badass in him.

Burnett is badass, something the Yankees have been lacking for a long long time.

This supension is ridiculous. Chances are they will reduce it, just like they reduced Becketts. If he misses a start there should be a ****ing outrage.

Burnett is badass, something the Yankees have been lacking for a long long time.

This supension is ridiculous. Chances are they will reduce it, just like they reduced Becketts. If he misses a start there should be a ****ing outrage.

Agreed. It's cool having a badass like AJ on the team. Teixeira has some fire in the belly too. It's good to see. :)

Unless Padilla gets a suspension when he gets a job, this is absolute bull****. The umps deliberately didn't warn the benches after Padilla's bull**** because they knew the Yankees had to retaliate. They warned after Burnett dusted Cruz and that should have been the end of it.

Unless Padilla gets a suspension when he gets a job, this is absolute bull****. The umps deliberately didn't warn the benches after Padilla's bull**** because they knew the Yankees had to retaliate. They warned after Burnett dusted Cruz and that should have been the end of it.

100% right. Since when is Bud Selig such a pu$$y? Oh wait...

Let's just say that anyone with any knowledge of baseball would readily admit that it was intentional.;)

This is bullsh!t, I hope he wins the appeal.

He won't win the appeal, but maybe he will get it reduced to 3-4 games, which he will begin serving after a start, if it works out that way. Otherwise, he will lose a start. All that means is that Hughes will start in his place, and then go back to the pen, keeping everyone in the rotation on schedule.

Get one of the reception Burnett received when he came back to the dugout after the inning was over.:rolleyes:

Just saw the clip on ESPN. I didn't think it was that bad.

Didn't see the reception he received when he went to the dugout.

MLB has suspended Yankees pitcher AJ Burnett for 6 games & fined him an undisclosed amount of $$$ following his "retaliation" pitch over the head of a Rangers player, espn just reported.

So Aj Burnett yields the same suspension Carlos Zambrano got? Carlos Zambrano wrecked the dugout and offended the umpire, but AJ Burnett gets the same suspension? Bull****.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4230518

Good.

The dirty bastard should have gotten an indefinite suspension.

Just saw the clip on ESPN. I didn't think it was that bad.

Didn't see the reception he received when he went to the dugout.

You had to see it as the inning was ending, and they were going to commercials. It was, shall we say, like a hero's welcome.

Archived