Our TE issue

MSGold12

I posted this over at JA but I am curious to see what you guys here think...

We clearly have an issue of quantity over quality at this position right ow but that doesnt mean we may not have some hard choices to make. Currently we have the following:

Keller

Franks

Bullock

Davie

Brown

Dearth

Simmons

Milner

Myers

Assuming we keep 4 (which would include a LS), there are some issues to consider here.

I'll right off the bat say Milner, Simmons and Myers are complete long shots and are probably PS material at best right now. Of course one could come out of nowhere ( ala Rocky Klever in the mid 80s) but odds are tese guys are TC fodder.

But what about the rest???

Keller is a lock obviously but someone has got to teach this kid to block at least a little.

Dearth is also most likely a lock because I cant see the team handing a LS job to a rookie.

Davies. This kid seems to be more then just a LS. He has great size, can block and cuaght the ball pretty well in college. Do yu take a chance and try and get him on the PS where he could replace Dearth next season as LS?

Franks. He is the ONLY TE on our roster with any real NFL exprience as an in line blocker. He also at one point was a dangerous weapon in the red zone. he had a crappy, injury filled year BUT if he bounces back could be a really nice compliment to Keller. Not to mention having a vet like him working with a protecting our rookie QB.

Brown. Not sure WHY we moved him when he was a solid prospect at DE but he was moved AN apparantly has looked pretty good. He obviously can block at his size and from what I am reading he has shown some ability as a runner and catcher also. He played TE in HS also. Hes obviosly till very green at the position but I am not sure if hes PS eligible anymore or not either.

Bullock. His is the most interesting case. Former BBall player with amazing atheltic ability and apparantly showed pretty well at the OTAs. Heres the problem with him. hes probably too green to be kept and contribute this year BUT...if this guy shows ANYTHING during the pre season, there is NO way he makes it through waivers and on to our PS. Every team is loking for that next Antonio gates and sonmeone will snap him up as a 3rd TE project.

So what do we do? Who gets kept? Do you take a chance on losing a potential down the road player like Bullock or do you keep him and dump a guy like Franks? Do you dump Dearth since he realy only does one thing and keep Davie as the LS? How can you dump Brown when you asked the guy to make a poition change and hes looked good doing it? Can you afford to not keep Franks with his experience?

Like I said. Not a ton of definitive quality at this position but the amount of quantitiy and potnentail is going to make these choices very interesting to watch. If its me, I keep Keller, Franks, Bullock and Dearth and hope I can get Davie and (if eligible) Brown back n the PS. I really think they made a big mistake with Brown. At 6'4", 300 (now apparantly 270), with enough speed and quickness to be considerd at TE, I think he could have deveoped into a solid 3-4 DE.

I posted this over at JA but I am curious to see what you guys here think...

We clearly have an issue of quantity over quality at this position right ow but that doesnt mean we may not have some hard choices to make. Currently we have the following:

Keller

Franks

Bullock

Davie

Brown

Dearth

Simmons

Milner

Myers

Assuming we keep 4 (which would include a LS), there are some issues to consider here.

I'll right off the bat say Milner, Simmons and Myers are complete long shots and are probably PS material at best right now. Of course one could come out of nowhere ( ala Rocky Klever in the mid 80s) but odds are tese guys are TC fodder.

But what about the rest???

Keller is a lock obviously but someone has got to teach this kid to block at least a little.

Dearth is also most likely a lock because I cant see the team handing a LS job to a rookie.

Davies. This kid seems to be more then just a LS. He has great size, can block and cuaght the ball pretty well in college. Do yu take a chance and try and get him on the PS where he could replace Dearth next season as LS?

Franks. He is the ONLY TE on our roster with any real NFL exprience as an in line blocker. He also at one point was a dangerous weapon in the red zone. he had a crappy, injury filled year BUT if he bounces back could be a really nice compliment to Keller. Not to mention having a vet like him working with a protecting our rookie QB.

Brown. Not sure WHY we moved him when he was a solid prospect at DE but he was moved AN apparantly has looked pretty good. He obviously can block at his size and from what I am reading he has shown some ability as a runner and catcher also. He played TE in HS also. Hes obviosly till very green at the position but I am not sure if hes PS eligible anymore or not either.

Bullock. His is the most interesting case. Former BBall player with amazing atheltic ability and apparantly showed pretty well at the OTAs. Heres the problem with him. hes probably too green to be kept and contribute this year BUT...if this guy shows ANYTHING during the pre season, there is NO way he makes it through waivers and on to our PS. Every team is loking for that next Antonio gates and sonmeone will snap him up as a 3rd TE project.

So what do we do? Who gets kept? Do you take a chance on losing a potential down the road player like Bullock or do you keep him and dump a guy like Franks? Do you dump Dearth since he realy only does one thing and keep Davie as the LS? How can you dump Brown when you asked the guy to make a poition change and hes looked good doing it? Can you afford to not keep Franks with his experience?

Like I said. Not a ton of definitive quality at this position but the amount of quantitiy and potnentail is going to make these choices very interesting to watch. If its me, I keep Keller, Franks, Bullock and Dearth and hope I can get Davie and (if eligible) Brown back n the PS. I really think they made a big mistake with Brown. At 6'4", 300 (now apparantly 270), with enough speed and quickness to be considerd at TE, I think he could have deveoped into a solid 3-4 DE.

I didn't know that Brown was a TE in HS. I would think that would help his prospects if indeed he's blocking well so far.

Myers is already gone. Coach has been raving about Simmons - don't know what that means as far final roster cuts go. Since Keller is basically just another receiver, I would think they'd want to keep a good blocking TE to complement him. Is that guy Brown? Bubba doesn't excite me. He can go.

Myers is already gone. Coach has been raving about Simmons - don't know what that means as far final roster cuts go. Since Keller is basically just another receiver, I would think they'd want to keep a good blocking TE to complement him. Is that guy Brown? Bubba doesn't excite me. He can go.

Bubba may not excite you, but he's going nowhere. lol and that's such an exciting group.

I think Myers was more of a receiving H-back type, so he isn't the perfect compliment to Keller.

I think you are selling Milner short. He's a 4th round pick and maybe a bit of an underachiever, but he's probably more physically suited to be an every down TE. The Giants drafted Beckum and I don't think there is any shame in being cut by them. I'd bet he sticks.

Simmons was a try-out player they signed, so they obviously like what they are seeing. I haven't seen him, but I think he's a little light to be our blocker - sub 250.

Davie is about 275 and is a blocker that helped open holes for DMC and Felix Jones. He sounds like he suits our needs. The LS is a bonus, but I think the Cane loves Dearth.

I think Bullock will be on the PS. If the Jets can't keep him on the active roster why would anybody else? If he has any talent maybe they'll stash him there and activate him near the end of the year so nobody can steal him. Maybe they won't use him in pre-season so teams don't have a read. That's what they seemed to do with Ratliff.

Are they using Brown 100% at TE? I thought it was more of a(n) "he can do both" type thing. Maybe in emergencies or to save a roster spot.

I think they keep Bubba around until they find something decent. If they do, cut him late in camp and he'll probably still be available if there are injuries.

All of my predictions are subject to change once I actuallly see these guys play. :D

Archived