Tampa Bay Rays @ New York Yankees [Yankee Stadium] Game Thread

Vudu

The Yankees won championships in the 90's because of their bullpen. I can't even count how many times they were tied or behind going into the sixth or seventh inning and they ended up winning the game. Their relievers would come in and not give up any runs, allowing the offense to chip away and eventually win the game.

The greatest example of this was in 96 Game 4 against the Braves. The Yanks were down 6-0 in the fifth and Rivera, Graeme Lloyd, Jeff Nelson and Wettland kept the Braves scoreless for the rest of the game. The Yanks chipped away, tied the game and won in extra innings.

Joba is a shutdown reliever, it's been proven that he can do the job. Team him up with Bruney, Aceves, Marte (if he steps it up) and Rivera at the end and you've got a bullpen that get the job done.

Marte stepping it up??????? :rl::lol::rolleyes:

He sucks.

Really? ***** you for being such a fickle fan. Rivera is a legend and he loses one game and this is how you act? Like a 5 year old in the grocery store? Grow up.

Ok so Im not supposed to have an opinion on him blowing the save?

Whatever. Im not a fickle fan, I was pissed that we gave away a winnable game. Who the **** are YOU to question anyone else's fanhood? GTFOH

Whatever. Im not a fickle fan, I was pissed that we gave away a winnable game. Who the **** are YOU to question anyone else's fanhood? GTFOH

All this talk of ****ing and blowing has got Pragmatic Bus very excited.

I'll question you when you talk about one of the greatest Yankees of all time like the way you did. You can have whatever opinion you want, and I'll call you out on it if I think it's goddamn stupid.

Yeah he lost 1 game. How many has he won for us over the years? Even Mo has a bad outing every now and then so stop whining like a child about it.

**** you Mariano. This was a winnable ****ing game.

if Giradi doesn't pull Mo out of the game we probably still win it. Mo gets out of the inning only giving up two runs in all likelihood, Giradi should never have pulled him.

Torre would have left him in.

If Mo loses a game, really no big deal, he blows maybe 4 saves a year and loses 2...Taking him out was a disgusting overmanaging ridiculous thing to do.

You leave him in....he would have gotten out of the inning and the Yanks would have tied it up....silly silly manager

Tonight's lineup and random news & notes from the LoHud Yankees Blog. IMO the best of the Yankee beatwriter blogs.

http://yankees.lhblogs.com/

EDIT: Longoria is going to play 3rd tonight. He didn't look to good running to 1st yesterday.

YANKEES (33-23)

Jeter SS

Damon LF

Teixeira 1B

Rodriguez 3B

Cano 2B

Posada C

Matsui DH

Swisher RF

Cabrera CF

Pitching: LHP Andy Pettitte (5-2, 4.33).

RAYS (29-29)

Upton CF

Crawford LF

Longoria 3B

Pena 1B

Aybar 2B

Zobrist SS

Dillon DH

Kapler RF

Hernandez C

TIME/TV: 7:05 p.m., YES.

STATE OF THE ‘STRIPES: The Yankees need a win to take the series. They have won seven of the last eight series. … The Red Sox are off today, so a win would give the Yankees a one-game lead in the division before they head to Boston tonight to open a three-game series tomorrow. … Tampa Bay is 29-29 and will be starting Andy Sonnanstine (4-5, 7.07).

THE PERILS OF PETTITTE: Pettitte has pitched only 10 innings in his last two starts, allowing 13 hits and walking 11. But he has given up only five runs somehow. He has been troubled by a bad back but that has abated. His five wins are tied with CC Sabathia for the staff lead.

SONNANSTINE STUMBLES: After going 13-9, 4.38 last season, Sonnanstine has allowed 78 hits over 56 innings and walked 16. There has been some improvement lately. Sonnanstine is 3-1, 6.75 in his last four starts.

DEFENSE ANYBODY? After not making an error for a MLB-record 18 consecutive games, the Yankees have committed at least one error in each of the last five games.

HOME COOKING: The Yankees are 17-11 at home.

NEVER FINISHED: The Yankees lead the majors with 20 come-from-behind wins. They have won 11 games in their last at-bat, the most in the AL.

PITCHING IS THE KEY: The Yankees are 20-0 when they hold opponents to three runs or less. They are the only team undefeated in that category.

STUFF ON SWISH: Nick Swisher has 11 homers. He did not get to 11 last season until June 30. He has hit right of his 11 homers left-handed.

Back back back back back back back...

Wanna trade Chris Berman for John Sterling?

Hell no. Sterling isn't the best announcer (not by a mile), but he cracks me up whenever I listen to him. The unintentional comedy of the Sterling/Waldman duo is priceless.

Another series win.

Not too many pitches for Mariano tonight. Hopefully he can pitch tomorrow if they need him.

He had shoulder surgery last off-season. He has pitched 3 days in a row, and threw 20+ pitches the first of those 3.

I doubt he makes it 4 in a row. Aceves or Coke are my guesses for 'closer" duty tonight.

Archived