Best fans? Jets or Pats?

SouthernJet

I am going to go with Patriots.

I don't recall Patriots fans ever rooting against their own team.

However, there was a significant number of supposed "Jets fans" rooting for the Dolphins week 17 of last year.

Any "Jets fan" who rooted for the Dolphins week 17 of last year is not really a fan of the Jets but simply a Patriots hater.

I hate to break it to you but the Pats have sold out every game since 1994 when Kraft bought the team. Stable ownership = a full Stadium.

And Kraft built a new stadium with no PSLs.

And they also know how to empty a stadium quicker than they fill it. The thing was quiet as night heading into the fourth quarter in week three last year. I like how the team had won 20 of it's past 21 and the fans still managed to boo. Great fans right there. :cheers:

CLEARLY in your section that you were sitting in. However there were others who were more excited for Clemens, or really, more excited to see Chad limp off.

Jets fans are a-holes, but I still will not believe that the majority were cheering because he went down.

How about the '06 Jets/Pats playoff game, another game I attended, when Chad went down the Patriots fans cheered. Good times.

Bottom line is no fan base should cheer an injury of their or the opposing teams players. However each fan base has a large # of morons who will.

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- Just when you think you have seen the depth of fan idiocy, you cover a New York Jets game, and the definition of classless is rewritten.

When Jets quarterback Chad Pennington went down with what was a terribly scary ankle injury, a chorus of cheers spilled down from the stands. It was thousands of Jets fans. Maybe tens of thousands. They were cheering Pennington getting injured.

http://www.cbssports.com/columns/story/10343693

I am going to go with Patriots.

I don't recall Patriots fans ever rooting against their own team.

However, there was a significant number of supposed "Jets fans" rooting for the Dolphins week 17 of last year.

Any "Jets fan" who rooted for the Dolphins week 17 of last year is not really a fan of the Jets but simply a Patriots hater.

I guess you've weren't a fan in 92 when the Pats* needed to get Bledsoe or Mirer. Can't say I'm particularly suprised since most Pats* fans showed up afterwards.

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- Just when you think you have seen the depth of fan idiocy, you cover a New York Jets game, and the definition of classless is rewritten.

When Jets quarterback Chad Pennington went down with what was a terribly scary ankle injury, a chorus of cheers spilled down from the stands. It was thousands of Jets fans. Maybe tens of thousands. They were cheering Pennington getting injured.

You can hang onto that moment all you want. Doesn't change the fact that at least half of the fans couldn't tell you about the Pats before 2001 and even fewer could tell you about the Pats* before 1994.

You can hang onto that moment all you want. Doesn't change the fact that at least half of the fans couldn't tell you about the Pats before 2001 and even fewer could tell you about the Pats* before 1994.

If being the "best fans" means cheering for your own players to get hurt then count me out.

Hey stalker, change your avatar. It makes you look even more retarded.

I guess you've weren't a fan in 92 when the Pats* needed to get Bledsoe or Mirer. Can't say I'm particularly suprised since most Pats* fans showed up afterwards.

I was a Patriots fan in 92, but even in week 17, I was rooting for us to win and not come in dead last. And we could have won 3 or 4 more games and still gotten one of those two.

If being the "best fans" means cheering for your own players to get hurt then count me out.

It was embarrasing and I can't defend anybody who did that. However, considering that many of your own bretheren will forever love Mo Lewis for injuring your starting quarterback in 2001, I'd say nobody from your fanbase has room to throw stones. I get it: it's only classless if the backup doesn't workout (Clemens). If he turns into a super bowl mvp, its okay.

Just so we're clear:

Rooting for your team to lose a game in order to improve draft positioning, which, in the long-run, is actually rooting for the team to increase their odds of getting better = bad.

Rooting for your team to win games, even if you have to break the rules to do so = perfectly fine.

Stay classy Beantown.

• Upvote 1

I was a Patriots fan in 92, but even in week 17, I was rooting for us to win and not come in dead last. And we could have won 3 or 4 more games and still gotten one of those two.

To an extent, I get what you're saying. However, things don't work in a box.

If you look at it from a Jets fan standpoint last year (and that Dolphin game at the end), there were two issues at hand:

1) I will admit there was a Pats* issue for many of us, but its more of a compliment to your team than you realize. Both the Phins and Pats* are hated by Jet fans, but I can't think of anybody that thought the Phins had a better shot than going far than the Pats*. All things being equal (if our team was out of it anyway), better to get the less talented division rival in. However, there is a more long term issue and that is

2) Eric Mangini. By the time the Dolphin game came around, all but a few Jet fans were off the Mangini bus. Many of us came into 2008 thinking that 2006 was more reflective of Mangini's coaching style than 2007. Personally, Mangini lost me with the first New England game, but the Seattle game was the straw that broke the camel's back for the most diehard of Mangini supporters. If we had won that Dolphin game, I can't necessarily say that Woody Johnson would have fired Eric Mangini, meaning we'd be stuck with another year of gutless coaching. Although losing that last game hurt, it may well have worked out for us long term (now I say this not knowing how Ryan will work out, but I really doubt Mangini was ever going to surpass 2006).

I brought up 1992 only because your team ultimately took a franchise quarterback (at least for the first part of his career). If winning the last game had ultimately meant you would have been stuck with Garrison Hearst (the 3rd pick in 1993), it could arguably have sent the Pats* to St Louis. Bledsoe and Parcells got certain people in New England interested in the Pats* for the first time. Without one of them, would they have still cared about losing them?

Just so we're clear:

Rooting for your team to lose a game in order to improve draft positioning, which, in the long-run, is actually rooting for the team to increase their odds of getting better = bad.

Rooting for your team to win games, even if you have to break the rules to do so = perfectly fine.

Stay classy Beantown.

:rim:

Don't know if this has been said and I don't feel like combing the entire thread but...

"best" is a word used when comparing 3 entities or more.

Yeah! AWESOME! Focusing on minutia that has nothing to do with the real point of the discussion!! **** YEAH!

Better ownership has nothing to do with the fans. Pats fans are obnoxious dickheads. Half of them couldn't name three players that played before 1998.

Exactly. Kraft being the owner actually makes it easier to be a Pats fan. They win all the time, no PSLs. The stuff a Jets fan has to put up with just shows how dedicated Jets fans are.

Just so we're clear:

Stay classy Beantown.

this post actually sums it up the best

Pats have about double the amount of fans they had in 2000. Jets fans are loyal and are knowledgeable. Another way you can tell we are better is all of you ****s hanging around here. You guys can't even stand to be around other Pats fans.

I can honestly say, that I didnt know a single Patriots fan prior to 2002. Not one.

I bartended in a sports bar in college and ther wasnt a single fan of that team ever in the bar. 2002 there was a pack of them and they had all been fans since birth. :rolleyes:

Edited by JiF

I can honestly say, that I didnt know a single Patriots fan prior to 2002. Not one.

I bartend in a sports bar and ther wasnt a single fan of that team ever in the bar. 2002 there was a pack of them and they had all been fans since birth. :rolleyes:

Bandwagon-get-aboard.jpg

Bandwagon%20Final.jpg

I have been to numerous games at both stadiums..Well, if you talk about stadium fans for the game there is no comparision..Pats fans are much louder in cheering on their teams..Jet fans get there late and spend most of the time waiting to be entertained and leave early whether they are winning or losing and they really never get crazy.

Internet wise its not even competitive..Jets by a mile..Jets sites are much better, always very active with good banter..In order of the 3 best (I'm not kissin up Max..the website is free)

1. JetNation

2. Jets Insider

3. Ganggreen

I have been to numerous games at both stadiums..Well, if you talk about stadium fans for the game there is no comparision..Pats fans are much louder in cheering on their teams..Jet fans get there late and spend most of the time waiting to be entertained and leave early whether they are winning or losing and they really never get crazy.

Internet wise its not even competitive..Jets by a mile..Jets sites are much better, always very active with good banter..In order of the 3 best (I'm not kissin up Max..the website is free)

1. JetNation

2. Jets Insider

3. Ganggreen

surprised about crowd noise

I used to be a season ticket holder at Shea and went to old Boston stadium in those days, and Jets were far better crowd...and they didnt get there late..

I moved to NC in 1983 so havent been to meadowlands to se ethe diff atmosphere,,

less noise and late arriving??>? is that a indicator of spoiled NJ fans as compared to salty Long Isalnd fans (I am a Jersey boy)

Or I hera more wives and kids go now, maybe quiter and late crowd due to women and kids,,being late or saying 'lets get the kids home' etc etc

In Shea days, trust me, it was almost a exclusive Males Club,,u didnt see many women, and less kids......The kids you did see were into tyhe game as opposed to the kids who come now and could care less as they dawdle on video game while football game going on...

surprised about crowd noise

I used to be a season ticket holder at Shea and went to old Boston stadium in those days, and Jets were far better crowd...and they didnt get there late..

I moved to NC in 1983 so havent been to meadowlands to se ethe diff atmosphere,,

less noise and late arriving??>? is that a indicator of spoiled NJ fans as compared to salty Long Isalnd fans (I am a Jersey boy)

Or I hera more wives and kids go now, maybe quiter and late crowd due to women and kids,,being late or saying 'lets get the kids home' etc etc

In Shea days, trust me, it was almost a exclusive Males Club,,u didnt see many women, and less kids......The kids you did see were into tyhe game as opposed to the kids who come now and could care less as they dawdle on video game while football game going on...

I'm not sure about the leaving early crowd, but I can tell you that tailgating (not women and children) is one of the primary reasons there are many late arrivers. There was one game I went to in 1999 where there were four guys that arrived midway through the second quarter. It was obvious they had been drinking from their behavior and one can only assume it was tailgating. Even friends of mine have wanted to get that last steak in before going into the stadium (personally I try to make sure I head in no more than 40 minutes before gametime just to be safe).

The kids you did see were into tyhe game as opposed to the kids who come now and could care less as they dawdle on video game while football game going on...

I don't know many people that go to Jets games to "dawdle on video game"...

The people that I know that go to games care. I can't stand those people that are there and then halfway through the game ask what the score is or something stupid. Pisses me off.

I'm not sure about the leaving early crowd, but I can tell you that tailgating (not women and children) is one of the primary reasons there are many late arrivers. There was one game I went to in 1999 where there were four guys that arrived midway through the second quarter. It was obvious they had been drinking from their behavior and one can only assume it was tailgating. Even friends of mine have wanted to get that last steak in before going into the stadium (personally I try to make sure I head in no more than 40 minutes before gametime just to be safe).

well then they are shiity fans,,who the hell would stay away from start of game to have a extra dog/burger, or grab another beer..what tools

I don't know many people that go to Jets games to "dawdle on video game"...

The people that I know that go to games care. I can't stand those people that are there and then halfway through the game ask what the score is or something stupid. Pisses me off.

playin video game is refrence to kids only,,i have seen it at college level..biggest turnoff to me at college level (i am a season ticket holder to Niv North Carolina Chapel Hill) is the people bringing kids under 5 in,,they could care less, they squirm, complain etc etc..

Get a freakin babysitter and enjoy the afternoon Mom and Dad..Sad thing is lots of these young parents dont dare leave little Buffy or Bif with someone other than themselves..