Windows 7 Release Date Announced

Jetman_67

Microsoft announced that Windows 7 will be released on October 22. This operating system will be replacing Windows Vista. After beta testing the new operating system, I expect that it will become successful very quickly. I am very pleased with the fact that it uses about 1/2 the RAM that Vista uses. This helps make Windows 7 more responsive. The side by side document viewing feature is very helpful, especially when I have my Syllabus and class reading materials open together. In the new Windows you will find that locating files is easier than before. Windows 7 features the Windows Library. The most often used programs can be pinned to your task bar. if you have open files a preview appears as you scroll your pointer over the task bar. One note on Internet Explorer 8. If you need to use a public computer to access personal information, you are more secure than ever. Windows features "in private" browsing. When you open a in private browser, there is no history kept once the browser is closed.

For more information go to www.microsoft.com

My prediction is that Windows 7 is going to be a Big Home Run for Microsoft.

LOL

How about the PC commercials where they go into Best Buy and walk right past the overpriced Macs and get a hooked up PC for half the price? Apple must love Best Buy for letting that happen.

LOL

How about the PC commercials where they go into Best Buy and walk right past the overpriced Macs and get a hooked up PC for half the price? Apple must love Best Buy for letting that happen.

Please, apple is posting record sales even during this economy, and they are the only pc company doing that. They are also the best performing retailer in the world as well. I think it is funny that msft thinks they need to go after the guy with less than 10% market share.

it is also kinda funny with their lame attempt to grap the spotlight on friday before monday's apple wwdc announcements monday, an event that will get much bigger press.

Oh, and as for the op, anyone who gets excited to sit down at a windows pc needs to have their head checked. And ever notice when someone talks about a windows upgrade, it isn't about new features as much as it is about fixes from previous editions.

Please, apple is posting record sales even during this economy, and they are the only pc company doing that. They are also the best performing retailer in the world as well. I think it is funny that msft thinks they need to go after the guy with less than 10% market share.

it is also kinda funny with their lame attempt to grap the spotlight on friday before monday's apple wwdc announcements monday, an event that will get much bigger press.

Oh, and as for the op, anyone who gets excited to sit down at a windows pc needs to have their head checked. And ever notice when someone talks about a windows upgrade, it isn't about new features as much as it is about fixes from previous editions.

If Apple has such a great product, why they hell does it never become the leader?

Kids grow up learning on both systems... so you cannot claim there is a built in bias...

Fact is, Apple is an overpriced system that gives you nothing special that cannot be achieved with a PC for half the price.

Hell there is $50 knock offs of the Iphone that have almost all of the capabilities and actually is better at some things... Apple is GREAT at over charging for their products.

If Apple has such a great product, why they hell does it never become the leader?

Kids grow up learning on both systems... so you cannot claim there is a built in bias...

Fact is, Apple is an overpriced system that gives you nothing special that cannot be achieved with a PC for half the price.

Hell there is $50 knock offs of the Iphone that have almost all of the capabilities and actually is better at some things... Apple is GREAT at over charging for their products.

honestly, most people know why msft is the leader, I am not even going to waste my time tapping into my iPhone the explanation. The simple fact is I couldn't care less if someone else is too closed minded to "think different" and misses out on what is clearly a superior product and experience. Anyone I have ever come across that has gotten a glimpse of the mac up close has made the switch and thankful for doing it.

As for over priced, a Honda accord and a mercedes sl500 will both do 60mph and get you to work, but that doesn't make one overpriced.

And iPhone ripoffs, I guess apple had to first make an iPhone to show the other phone guys how the people wanted a phone to work and how to give them that phone otherwise they wouldn't have something to rip off. You can thank apple for inspiring the others ripping them off. Also the iPhone is still the best phone out there even being 2 years old, and this week it will get even better.

But hey, if you want to live in your ps3/windows world that is ok, have fun drinking the koolaide!!

honestly, most people know why msft is the leader, I am not even going to waste my time tapping into my iPhone the explanation. The simple fact is I couldn't care less if someone else is too closed minded to "think different" and misses out on what is clearly a superior product and experience. Anyone I have ever come across that has gotten a glimpse of the mac up close has made the switch and thankful for doing it.

As for over priced, a Honda accord and a mercedes sl500 will both do 60mph and get you to work, but that doesn't make one overpriced.

And iPhone ripoffs, I guess apple had to first make an iPhone to show the other phone guys how the people wanted a phone to work and how to give them that phone otherwise they wouldn't have something to rip off. You can thank apple for inspiring the others ripping them off. Also the iPhone is still the best phone out there even being 2 years old, and this week it will get even better.

But hey, if you want to live in your ps3/windows world that is ok, have fun drinking the koolaide!!

OSx is no more stable than Windows. I have a PC that is running both OS's. The Mac os is good for things such as video and graphics production. Both machines are pretty much becoming interchangable. You can run Windows on a Mac, and with just a little technical knowledge you can easily run Mac on a PC.

I live with a woman who crashed a Mac on a daily basis. She doesnt crash the PC I made her.

As far as stability is concerned. the difference is Apple software is sold by Apple on Apple hardware. The PC is built by different manufacturers who sell Windows PCs but they add in their own Bull Sh*t software. This is where problems begin. With Win7 that is changing because Microsoft is getting strict with licinsing requirements with the pc builders. No more crapware will be added. This will have a double effect. The manufacturers make alot of money from the crapware. Without that revenue the cost of the PC will rise.

the upside is the pc will be far more stable out of the box

I will never understand these Mac sheep. It's like religion - "There's absolutely no evidence to support my opinion, but I'm RIGHT!"

P.S. I'm using Vista right now and I like it. It works.

I will never understand these Mac sheep. It's like religion - "There's absolutely no evidence to support my opinion, but I'm RIGHT!"

P.S. I'm using Vista right now and I like it. It works.

Like I said, i have a Desktop PC that I installed MAC onto. Its not a better OS than Windows.

Well, I had upgraded from XP to Vista Ultimate, which gave me ultimate headaches. Microsoft really dropped the ball on Vista, hence the rush to get Windows 7 out. I am now running the Windows 7 beta, which to my pleasant surprise.....works. And it actually fixed things that Vista screwed up. The bootup time is lightning fast.

So I think Windows 7 is Microsoft's apology for Vista. I'm still considering the switch to a Mac when this PC finally takes a dump.

Well, I had upgraded from XP to Vista Ultimate, which gave me ultimate headaches. Microsoft really dropped the ball on Vista, hence the rush to get Windows 7 out. I am now running the Windows 7 beta, which to my pleasant surprise.....works. And it actually fixed things that Vista screwed up. The bootup time is lightning fast.

So I think Windows 7 is Microsoft's apology for Vista. I'm still considering the switch to a Mac when this PC finally takes a dump.

Why waste money on a Mac? I have a Compaq PC that dual boots running OSx

• 2 weeks later...
Personally, I don't feel it's a waste.

Apple makes OK hardware, but IMO why over spend when you can now run Mac on a PC. With a little technical know how. Intel makes a dongle called the EFI-x Dongle. It pluges into a USB header on the motherboard. That sort of tricks the PC into thinking it has the Mac chipset. It costs about $200.00 but it works.

OSx can also be run on a Dell Mini successfully.

you will not get nearly the same reliability or performance running an os in a hacked environment like that on unsupported hardware it is not meant to be on. Part of the reason osx is so much more stable is that it is designed to work with certified hardware, unlike windows that has to work with every pos piece of hardware that comes out of china.

Why not takhe that 200 and put it toward a much superior piece of hardware and then load windows on there and then you haveboth systems on a supported platform that is a much more elegant designthat will last you for years. Spending 200 to crack open and hack a crappy pc to run osx is just the dumbest thing I have ever heard.

Wrong!!!!! It runs flawlessly on a PC. I wouldnt run it on a low end PC, but a PC with good hardware is just as solid as a Mac. You do bring up a good point. pc builders like e-machines build substandard computers which leads to stability issues. If you use good hardware with a full install of Windows, you will have a very good, reliable and stable computer.

To say Mac is better is assinine. They are different OS's designed for different uses. If I was in a graphics or video production industry, I would go mac all the way. For development or business use, or every day personal use, PC all the way. There is a reason the PC is the mainstream OS of the corporate world. Not that the PC is better, but the PC is more versatile. To have custom applications developed for the PC is far more affordable.

Large corporations rely on custom designed programs for billing, network management etc.

Seriously... answer my question... if Mac is better... why do 7 out of 10 people buy PC's?

Keep in mind that for the last 20+ years people are being raised on both machines in schools... and also keep in mind both are widely available and heavily advertised.... also keep in mind that PC's outsell Macs at such a high rate even with their "bad" reputation and Macs "good" reputation.

Seriously... answer my question... if Mac is better... why do 7 out of 10 people buy PC's?

Keep in mind that for the last 20+ years people are being raised on both machines in schools... and also keep in mind both are widely available and heavily advertised.... also keep in mind that PC's outsell Macs at such a high rate even with their "bad" reputation and Macs "good" reputation.

Price. "I'll buy the buggy, virus-laden pc that will crash all the time, but I'll save some money."

I know a lot of long time PC users that are switching. Price is a huge reason why people buy PC's, but sometimes 'you get what you pay for'. Most tech savvy people won't have a problem with viruses, mal-ware etc., however a lot of people do. What I really like about OS X is the fact there's no registry to bog down the system, backing up, updating and restoring are a piece of cake with NO surprises.....all done within the OS. You can't do that in Windows, no OS is 'better' than the other, some just have better features than others, but all are susceptible to the same things.

Price. "I'll buy the buggy, virus-laden pc that will crash all the time, but I'll save some money."

funny, I have owned many PC's. I currently own 4. Out of my 4 computers, the total number of Viruses is 0!! Total crashes 0!!!! My guess your crash issues and viruses are caused by a certain hardware failure located between the keyboard and chair.

1) the price stigma. Back in the day there was a "mac tax" to some degree. But these days with the intel chips they are priced very competitively, especially the laptops which are absolutely dominating the laptop market. There might not be much in the way of very cheap macs, but that is because apple doesn't sell ill equipped machines, it chooses not to be in that market. But for the given price points macs are at, they are very competitive with the windows world.

2) windows became very entrenched decades ago in the business market. When you have countless manufacturers who will sell custom configured cheap barebones network nodes it is just going to happen. And corporate it guys didn't like not being able to buy from multiple vendors.

3) legacy business software. There is tons of applications written long ago and still in use that are written for windows.

4) The ill informed idea that a lot of software isn't available for the mac or that it wasn't able to work with the majority of your work documents. While not littering the shelves of your local computer megamart, there has always been a strong collection of mac software, and now pretty much everything is made for both platforms. Heck, the Office suite for mac is even better than the windows version due to certain things they can take advantage of in the mac os, and msft even admitted this at one point. With the increased popularity of all things apple, it is now very easy to get whatever software you need.

5) poor management in the 90's almost killed the company, and thy lost a lot of headway in their core markets. Gill Amelio was running the company through the ground.

Some things you need to consider when looking at the sheer difference in marketshare between windows and mac.

1) enterprise, with corp customers buying windows boxes by the 1,000 apple has no real penetration in that market.

2) they are the only manufacturer of macs. It is like comparing one auto manufacturer against the rest of the auto industry, looking at mercedes market share versus the number of cars sold in total other than mercedes.

3) the longevity of the mac. Macs stay in service much much longer than pcs, this is not an opinion, it is a fact from marketting research, go google it.

4) Over the last few years apple has consistantly reported record numbers each quarter, constantly growing. They are even weathering the recession pretty well despite being at higher price points than the industry as a whole.

Nobody reading this believes a word you are saying here. You mean to tell me you have NEVER had a windows machine crash? I call massive BULLS##T here.

Ok you are right, I did ONE TIME!! It was a Gateway that came with Windows ME preloaded. It crashed within an hour of taking it out of the box. I immediately installed Win 98 SE. That was my last crash. Never a Virus. Not even once. Not ever. My current group of PC's have never crashed. Not even the Compaq that runs Mac OSx.

IDK man, Win 98 SE was pretty bad with crashing and BSOD. I would believe you if you said Win2k or XP, those were very solid IMO.

Dude, everything he is saying is just bull##it. He was on here when vista came out saying how GREAT that turkey was. Say what you want about the mac/pc thing, but everyone knows the deal with crashes, blue screens, viruses, system reinstalls, and everything else. Some people just accept that as just a part of using computers, some people have experienced what it is like to not have to even think about that stuff.

Dude, everything he is saying is just bull##it. He was on here when vista came out saying how GREAT that turkey was. Say what you want about the mac/pc thing, but everyone knows the deal with crashes, blue screens, viruses, system reinstalls, and everything else. Some people just accept that as just a part of using computers, some people have experienced what it is like to not have to even think about that stuff.

You've got no room to be calling bull**** on anybody. Your cooing over the magic Macs and calling dissenters liars is really tiresome.

I use a MacBook Pro and an HP Pavilion with Vista every day. No problems with the Windows machine. Plenty with the Mac.

Like Jetman, I had problems with Windows ME. NONE with 98 SE, XP or Vista.

I'm on my fourth Mac at work and hated them all. To be fair, I hate the current one less than its predecessors.

Find me the BEST priced Mac laptop Joebaby... I will find you a better priced PC with equal or better features, EVERY TIME.

I wonder what Joe's definition of "dominating the laptop market" is. 20 percent? 30?

I wonder what Joe's definition of "dominating the laptop market" is. 20 percent? 30?

It really is sad... it is a widely available product that calls out its competition repeatedly and constantly gets hammered in market share.

I do not want and BS excuses... if something is better it will dominate... look at what they did with the Iphone... it had a 0% market share and now dominates the smartphone market like no phone before it.

Mac has had over a decade to steal the market from windows and simply cannot.

If you are getting that many blue screens and or crashes, the problem is really between the keyboard and the chair. Other than the one time with ME out of the box, I have never crashed, or had a blue screen or virus. Not once. Not with 98 SE, Win XP, Vista or even the BETA of Windows 7.

My guess is you installed every peice of crap sharewear you could get your hands on. When I see a free CD rom I look at it, then toss it. The biggest problem with Windows crashes is the crap people install that they dont even need.

As far as Mac being Virus proof. that is a crock of doo doo. The reps at the Apple Store all highly reccomend Norton for Mac.

Oh yeah, Macs crash too. I have seen it happen many times. They lock up more often than a PC.

Archived