Braves Eyeing Penny

Otter

Friday, June 5, 2009

Sources: Braves eyeing Penny

By Buster Olney

ESPN The Magazine

The Braves already have made moves to augment their rotation, calling up super prospect Tommy Hanson to make his major league debut on Sunday, after summoning Kris Medlen last month. But Atlanta might not be done adding pitching.

Atlanta is one of the teams in conversation with the Boston Red Sox about veteran right-hander Brad Penny, according to sources, at a time when the Red Sox have been doing their own research on Braves right fielder Jeff Francoeur.

As the Braves do their background work on Penny, this is part of what they have ascertained: The 31-year-old right-hander started horribly for the Red Sox, but he has pitched better in recent starts, allowing three earned runs or fewer in five of his past six starts.

Overall, Penny is 5-1 with a 5.63 ERA, with his velocity increasing as the season has progressed, and his penchant for generating fly balls might make him a better fit in the National League, and in a pitchers' park, such as Turner Field.

The Braves already have the makings of a good rotation, with Derek Lowe, Javier Vazquez and Jair Jurrjens -- and now Hanson. Kenshin Kawakami has made 10 starts, mustering a 4.63 ERA. The Braves currently rank fourth in starters' ERA, at 3.90.

Atlanta's bullpen, however, has been a problem -- the Braves ranked 17th among 30 teams in relief ERA, at 4.32.

It is unclear whether Atlanta would have interest in Penny as a starter or as a reliever; if the Braves added Penny to their rotation, they could shift Kawakami into their bullpen.

Kawakami has been effective, generally, through the first 45 pitches of his starts, but opponents have an OPS of 1.042 against him in pitches 46 to 60.

The Braves have a reputation among other teams for being precise in their accounting, so it may be that they could be motivated to move Francoeur -- who is hitting .251 this year, at age 25 -- partly to free up money. He is making $3.38 million in salary this year, while Penny is making $5 million, plus incentives.

Earlier this week, the Braves released Tom Glavine, who would have earned $1 million on the first day with the team, and acquired center fielder Nate McLouth from the Pittsburgh Pirates for three prospects.

The Braves and Red Sox match up with other pieces and parts, as well, if they were to expand their conversations beyond Penny and Francoeur.

Buster Olney is a senior baseball writer for ESPN The Magazine.

Do you blame them? They know they have no competition this year in that division. A couple of pieces and they can run away with things.

That whole LEAGUE is terrible. The ****ing Brewers? The Cardinals? The Cubs? The Phillies & Mets?

The only team to really "fear" is the Dodgers.

That whole LEAGUE is terrible. The ****ing Brewers? The Cardinals? The Cubs? The Phillies & Mets?

The dodgers have a good record but if it is them in the world series I would bet on the team from the AL with confidence.

I saw SD post in this thread. I'm so happy that guy is blocked. His posts are the worst.

The dodgers have a good record but if it is them in the world series I would bet on the team from the AL with confidence.

I saw SD post in this thread. I'm so happy that guy is blocked. His posts are the worst.

100% agreed there. I think the World Series winner will be AL this year. It damn well should be.

btw, from Scott: "To comment on baseball, you should actually try watching it sometime."

yeah phillies are so bad they beat you in your joke of a park.

mets beat the sox too.....and half the team was hurt, lol.

Yeah, one series means so much.

yeah well...according to your boy ps17 the mational league team that makes it to the world series might as well not even show up. the arrogance of yankees fans just gets more and more nauseating every year. and you guys wonder why everyone hates your team, lol. it's because there are tons of arrogant yankees fans that none of us wants to see getting to celebrate a championship.....and who are fun to watch be pissed because their 200 million team chokes again.

yeah well...according to your boy ps17 the mational league team that makes it to the world series might as well not even show up. the arrogance of yankees fans just gets more and more nauseating every year. and you guys wonder why everyone hates your team, lol. it's because there are tons of arrogant yankees fans that none of us wants to see getting to celebrate a championship.....and who are fun to watch be pissed because their 200 million team chokes again.

Mind telling me were I said the NL team won't show up? I said the AL is clearly better, which it is, and that an AL team should win the WS. I'm not being arrogant when I state a fact that the AL is better than the NL.

I didn't say the word Yankees in my last post either.

QQ

Mind telling me were I said the NL team won't show up? I said the AL is clearly better, which it is, and that an AL team should win the WS. I'm not being arrogant when I state a fact that the AL is better than the NL.

I didn't say the word Yankees in my last post either.

you pretty much said the whole league is a joke and that there's not one team worht worrying about. maybe the AL is slightly better overall......but there are a few NL teams that are certainly capable of competing against your vanted AL teams. you hav that yankees fan arrogance...which is quite funny since you're not even old enough to barely remember them winning anything but the highest payroll award.

you pretty much said the whole league is a joke and that there's not one team worht worrying about. maybe the AL is slightly better overall......but there are a few NL teams that are certainly capable of competing against your vanted AL teams. you hav that yankees fan arrogance...which is quite funny since you're not even old enough to barely remember them winning anything but the highest payroll award.

And you have the grammar and spelling of a slightly retarded 8th grader.

And you have the grammar and spelling of a slightly retarded 8th grader.

oh the message board spelling and grammar comeback. you lose. lol. btw....when you correct someones grammar you shouldn't start the sentence with a conjunction. it's not too good grammer. lol.

oh the message board spelling and grammar comeback. you lose. lol. btw....when you correct someones grammar you shouldn't start the sentence with a conjunction. it's not too good grammer. lol.

It is one of his comebacks when he starts to lose an argument.

i just thought it was funny that he calls me retarded cause i don't bother to follow proper grammar on a message board or spell check my posts....meanwhile he starts the sentence with and, which is bad grammar in itself.......lol.

I've yet to lose an argument on the internet. It is impossible. I was also joking around with the guy. No need to interject your pettiness into it. Jesus loves you.

i just thought it was funny that he calls me retarded cause i don't bother to follow proper grammar on a message board or spell check my posts....meanwhile he starts the sentence with and, which is bad grammar in itself.......lol.

:( he got the joke.

Seeing Penny's 5-1 and 5.63 (and rising :confused:) ERA in the AL is like 9-0 and 3.50 ERA in the NL, getting Penny gives them a solid (not spectacular) 1-4.

Meh, without even throwing a major league pitch, I think Tommy Hanson is a better bet than Penny is at this point in his career.

exactly -- Hanson is ready to come up and Penny is CLEARLY done...i called this on the radio before the year started and all my Red Sox buddies were like "NO WAY MAN HE'S GONNA BE GOOD HE STARTED AN ALLSTAR GAME ONCE"

Archived