Washington May Be A Training Camp Holdout

Jetfan13

By MARK CANNIZZARO

Leon Washington, unhappy with his contract situation, in comments yesterday kept waffling between his loyalty to the Jets and doing what he feels he has to do to get a new deal. The running back hinted that he may skip training camp in July if he doesn't get a new contract.

Washington, who skipped three weeks of the Jets' organized team

activities (OTAs) to make a statement about his disdain over his

expected salary of $535,000 in 2009, the final year of his contract,kept using the words "fair market value."

But, he also conceded to returning to the team last week because he couldn't stand staying away.

"I guess I shouldn't say this but I was missing it ... a lot,"

Washington said.

He said the Jets have offered "no promises" about a new deal, but added, "They have expressed concerns about giving me an extension. I want to be a Jet. At the same time, I want fair market value."

Washington left that phrase up for interpretation. He is seeking

somewhere between $5-6 million a year -- the same kind of money

Jacksonville's Maurice Jones-Drew and San Diego's Darren Sproles are scheduled to make.

"Hopefully we'll get something done, because I think it's important for me to be in training camp," Washington said

He isn't worth 6 million a year. He averages like 3 carries a game.

I agree thats a lot of money to be asking for, but its not his fault he touches the ball 3 times a game.

It will be really interesting to see if that genius decision was made by the mastermind that is Eric Mangini or if this came from our brilliant young OC.

I agree thats a lot of money to be asking for, but its not his fault he touches the ball 3 times a game.

It will be really interesting to see if that genius decision was made by the mastermind that is Eric Mangini or if this came from our brilliant young OC.

I agree and I would love to lock him up long term. At the same time, committing so much cap room to a guy who in at best going to split carries and at worst gonna have 3-4 carries a game seems a bit silly to me.

I agree and I would love to lock him up long term. At the same time, committing so much cap room to a guy who in at best going to split carries and at worst gonna have 3-4 carries a game seems a bit silly to me.

You got to imagine that he is going to be involved in the offense more this season being that we seem to be headed in the direction of a very heavy run first offense. If we sign him, I would expect an increase in touches.

I just find it hard to believe that offering a 5/6 year deal at like 4mil isnt fair market value for someone that isnt going to be the focal point of our offense.

MoJo Drew, is all the Jags have, I dont know why peopel keep comparing the two as if they should have smiilar contracts.

You got to imagine that he is going to be involved in the offense more this season being that we seem to be headed in the direction of a very heavy run first offense. If we sign him, I would expect an increase in touches.

I just find it hard to believe that offering a 5/6 year deal at like 4mil isnt fair market value for someone that isnt going to be the focal point of our offense.

MoJo Drew, is all the Jags have, I dont know why peopel keep comparing the two as if they should have smiilar contracts.

We also have 3 rb's. TJ is going to still probably get the bulk of the carries and Shone Greene will get some in the 4th and one 3rd and 1 or 4th and 1. 6-7 million per year is just too much. 4 isn't a bad number, it just doesn't seem like he is willing to take it.

I understand Leon will be more involved in the offense, but you don't pay someone the role they think they'll be before you know if they can handle it.

Leon has only had 3 games in his career where hes had 15 or more carries in a agme. I think its a little strange to pay him some crazy money when he is a change of pace back right now.

I understand Leon will be more involved in the offense, but you don't pay someone the role they think they'll be before you know if they can handle it.

Leon has only had 3 games in his career where hes had 15 or more carries in a agme. I think its a little strange to pay him some crazy money when he is a change of pace back right now.

One of those was after we were already down 4 TD's to Jacksonville. Another was against the powerhouse Lions missing both of their starting DT's. A third was against the Clowns. He had 15 carries in the last game of the season as well, though Cedric Houston had 16.

Not exactly the stuff of $6M salary RB's.

One of those was after we were already down 4 TD's to Jacksonville. Another was against the powerhouse Lions missing both of their starting DT's. A third was against the Clowns. He had 15 carries in the last game of the season as well, though Cedric Houston had 16.

Not exactly the stuff of $6M salary RB's.

Exactly. I understand everyone wants to see him get the ball more but I wonder if he did get 15 carries a game for a whole season if he could really handle it. But it would be stupid on the Jets part to pay him like that if he can't take the beating.

I mean thats like paying Chad Pennington crazy amounts of money to be our star QB, but he could never play a fullseason for us.....oh my bad he gave us one full season.

Exactly. I understand everyone wants to see him get the ball more but I wonder if he did get 15 carries a game for a whole season if he could really handle it. But it would be stupid on the Jets part to pay him like that if he can't take the beating.

I mean thats like paying Chad Pennington crazy amounts of money to be our star QB, but he could never play a fullseason for us.....oh my bad he gave us one full season.

He couldn't in college against smaller, slower defenders. Got injured every year.

$4M per year is right. $5M I could handle I guess. But keeping Leon fresh is what keeps Leon dangerous.

Mangini was the only person sitting in giants stadium on sundays last year that didn't realize Leon wasn't being utilized nearly enough, I am sure that won't be an issue this season. Also, Leon is really one of our only great offensive threats, along with Keller. We got him super cheap on his rookie contract and he is JUST coming into his prime and still very fresh. I would say it is hard to get an offensive player of his caliber who we invested very little on for his rookie contract and can get him locked up for his prime, instead of going out and overpaying for a retread rb who left his better days with his last expired contract and previous team. As for spending big money on an rb who will split carries, well, that is today's nfl, all the teams are going to a 2-3 back rotation. With at most 1 year left on TJ, you have to think about the future right now. If Shon pans out decently then we have a really young and really potent tandem in him and Leon. Take Shon's small 3rd round contract and add Leon's big one, and I would think they average out well for the tandem. Heck I would cut TJ if that would help the situation with getting Leon signed, but i don't know the cap implications off the top of my head.

As mentioned, this is more complicated than "just pay the man" or not.

The uncertainty of the CBA is the key. Without a new CBA, Leon will get no more than $2.5 million in 2010 under the high RFA tender. Leon wants $6 million per.

If there was a CBA in place, the Jets would likely have signed or be close to signing Leon to an extension in the $4 to $5 million per range.

We have him on the hook now for next year and can RFA him the following year. A RB missing reps in OTAs or camp are not a killer. If the line does what they are supposed to he will be just as dangerous on Sundays. Obviously being there is a good thing and i'm not discounting it, but what is he gonna do? Is he going to sit out the season? Not a chance. Will he play angry? Will he increase his value so that we can tag him next year and get a high pick? Maybe. Or he just sees that we will be using him a lot more and knowing he may get injured, he will sign a deal with some actual fair market dollars (fair market to the rest of the world, not fair market according to Leon and his idiot agent) and we can be done with this drama. I like Leon and I want to see him here long term, I just like the Jets more and want to see them make smart decisisons.

Yes signing Leon is a priority. We want to keep good players. But signing him to a stupid deal is not a priority. MJD>Leon and Sproles is on a franchise tag which does not represent equal value. They had the cap room to tag him. Chargers are going to try to negotiate another deal for him long term. But if you have the cap room as well as no other priority FAs to worry about, tagging someone is a smart management move as it is a short term commitment with no cap worries the following year. Quoting that as "Sproles Money" is stupid and short sighted.

Archived