Key Sophmore Jet players to watch this season pt.2-Vernon Gholston

JetsFan34

http://mvn.com/the****pit/2009/06/ke...-gholston.html

June 11, 2009

Key Sophmore Jet players to watch this season pt.2-Vernon Gholston

By Ronnie Shumake

Since this year's coach Rex Ryan is a defensive guru with an attacking style, I chose to focus on defense this week in my sophmore player review. It's only right that after a review of Dwight Lowery with the initial story, we now focus on Vernon Gholston.

Some may argue that Gholston should have been the first story. Taken as the number six pick in the first round, he was a much higher pick and thus received more attention overall last year. In Eric Mangini's system (former DB coach), Lowery got more playing time and had a bigger impact last year. Many argued that Gholston was a bust after one year with relatively little playing time. This year, Ryan and Mike Pettine have called out Gholston stating if they can't make him a player, then no one can. Looking at the feedback from Pettine who so far has said that "the signs are there" regarding Gholston's focus and progression from OTA workouts, you tend to think he will answer the challenge this year.

Ryan and his staff will put the players in situations to succeed. I really don't see them asking Gholston to drop back and cover passes a whole lot this year. For additional depth with coverages, keep an eye on undrafted Jamaal Westerman out of Rutgers making the team. They are the same size and he seems more at ease dropping back in pass coverage than Gholston. Vernon Gholston has the speed skills to play either way, but his game is all about the rush and attacking the QB. He is a classic speedy defensive end in the Julius Peppers/John Abraham mold. I think Jake Long still has nightmares about him and we play Long and the Miami Dolphins twice a year. I like the thought of Gholston, Jenkins and Ellis rushing a QB with our core of LB's behind them. If you line up in a 4-3 or 4-6 with the extra tackle, it will only help create more opportunities for sacks as now teams can't double team any of the three with a Sione Piouha, Howard Green or Marques Douglas (another ex-Raven) also on the line.

Last year, Gholston missed the early organized team activities and training camp due to a contract holdout. This hurt his development more than people realize. In Mangini's system, he was being forced into a read and react style of play. As a head coach with a highly touted first year player in a new system, this was just asking for problems. This was never his strength in Ohio State, as he was an end who lined up to cause QB pressures, sacks and hurries. The good thing about Rex Ryan aside from him talking more smack than a WWE promo, is that he is a throwback football coach. He's not all caught up in "well our philosophy is to a read and react" and trying to reinvent the wheel with his players. He recognizes his players strengths and works to implement a system that will utilize them. There are fundamental things about football that don't change no matter what year it is. In the trenches, you line up and try to knock the crap out of your opponent.

Gholston and Lowery are two sophmore players who should benefit from the change in attitude and philosophy with this staff. I feel that the natural skill sets of each will be utilized with the new system and additions to the roster. With more experience Gholston will evolve into a more complete DE/LB. For now, the best bet is to line him up and let him loose. If they can get a minimum of five sacks out of him in situational playing time, it would be a good start to a promising career.

i thought when gholston was comming into the league he was going to be a project plyer. He was very raw comming in but has outstnding physical attributes. As for the jake long nightmares, there long gone. he was able to transition into the nfl and take his game to the next level.

Archived