Tell me about Baltimore, MD

Ranger

The Power Plant, and Fell's Pt are the drinking areas. The latter is a ferry or cab ride from Camden Yds and has the most bars/sq in. in the world. While there be sure to drop by The Horse You Came In On.

The Power Plant, and Fell's Pt are the drinking areas. The latter is a ferry or cab ride from Camden Yds and has the most bars/sq in. in the world. While there be sure to drop by The Horse You Came In On.

There's alot going on in the Inner Harbor area. Restaurants, bars, shopping. The aquarium is a nice place to visit. This is within walking distance of Camden Yards.

Yep, outside of those areas...be very careful.

I loved Baltimore from my one visit in '06. I stayed about 30 minutes outside, at my mother's friend's house on the Chesapeke (sp?). Beautiful. I loved being in the city as well. The aquarium was AMAZING!!! You have to check it out if you have the time. Also, the harbor district is beautiful. I was there on a gorgeous July weekend. Little Italy was great, real authentic, good food as well as being a great neighborhood. And definitely go see Camden Yards if you can. ESPN Zone is there as well, that was cool (it's in the harbor area).

Good luck!!! It's a good city from what I saw. Just stay out of the ghettos. But you knew that. ;)

I live in Baltimore, right on the Harbor actually. Fells Point is a great time, just stay on Thames for all the good bars, and as posted above, Max's is a great time, but if it's a Fri or Sat it's going to be packed. Check out Duclaw (a great brewery) and a pub called The Horse You Rode in On, it's the oldest saloon in the US and an old hangout of Edgar Allen Poe. My favorite seafood place is Mama's On the Half Shell in Canton Square, and you can also kill a whole night there. Federal Hill's another solid place to spend a night, good food and good restaurants, but take a cab if you go there as parking's impossible. Mother's and Mad River are two of the best bars for nightlife there.

For a meal with a great view, go to the Rusty Scupper, it's right on the Inner Harbor. The food's about a B+, but not too expensive and the view of the city is incredible. Make sure to ask for a table by one of the windows if you make a reservation. If it's a nice night, the entire harbor's right there with a bunch of outdoor patios and live music if it's a weekend night. The aquarium's pretty much right there, with Powerplant and ESPNZone as well (which is extremely popular here).

Basically, there's 4 main areas, all with their strengths. Canton Square, Fells Point, Fed Hill, and the Inner Harbor. All are worth at least a night, but Fells and the IH are definitely the best. And definitely catch a game at Camden if you can, it's still one of the best ballparks in the country.

I live in Baltimore, right on the Harbor actually. Fells Point is a great time, just stay on Thames for all the good bars, and as posted above, Max's is a great time, but if it's a Fri or Sat it's going to be packed. Check out Duclaw (a great brewery) and a pub called The Horse You Rode in On, it's the oldest saloon in the US and an old hangout of Edgar Allen Poe. My favorite seafood place is Mama's On the Half Shell in Canton Square, and you can also kill a whole night there. Federal Hill's another solid place to spend a night, good food and good restaurants, but take a cab if you go there as parking's impossible. Mother's and Mad River are two of the best bars for nightlife there.

For a meal with a great view, go to the Rusty Scupper, it's right on the Inner Harbor. The food's about a B+, but not too expensive and the view of the city is incredible. Make sure to ask for a table by one of the windows if you make a reservation. If it's a nice night, the entire harbor's right there with a bunch of outdoor patios and live music if it's a weekend night. The aquarium's pretty much right there, with Powerplant and ESPNZone as well (which is extremely popular here).

Basically, there's 4 main areas, all with their strengths. Canton Square, Fells Point, Fed Hill, and the Inner Harbor. All are worth at least a night, but Fells and the IH are definitely the best. And definitely catch a game at Camden if you can, it's still one of the best ballparks in the country.

Your the man Rutgers!!!!!!!!!! Looks like I'll be there for the Mets all next week too.

:cheers:

When I lived there (20 years ago), Little Italy, just east of the Inner Harbor, was great. I think the name of the place we always went to was Chiapparelli's.

Your the man Rutgers!!!!!!!!!! Looks like I'll be there for the Mets all next week too.

:cheers:

No problem, and don't believe what some of the above have said. It's an absolutely beautiful city and so much of it has been restored. As long as you're near the water (and pretty much everywhere you're going to be is right near the water anyways), you're fine. West Baltimore isn't anywhere near where you're going to be visiting. I've lived here for almost two years and I've loved every minute of it. It's a fun, young, and energetic city.

Oh, and if you're a big music fan, be sure to check out a store called Soundgarden when you're in Fells. It's one of the coolest music shops you'll ever be in. I'll be at Camden for the Mets too, it just sucks that for both the Nats series last week (went down for that) and the O's series, I don't get to see Johan for either of them.

Trust me though, eat at Mama's one night. And make sure you order off the specials menu.

I've spent a lot of time in Baltimore the last 4 years and prefer Federal Hill over Fells and Canton. The Inner Harbor is a tourist trap IMO.

Mothers is a lot of fun, even better since they opened Mothers on the Ally, but Mad River is a disaster at night as you can't hear yourself think.

rbljet: If you make your way to Federal Hill I highly recommend the Pub Dog on Cross Street. They have awesome pizza and their own beer. The beer comes in 10oz mugs and you get two of them when you order.

20 yards up the street is Ryleigh's (http://www.ryleighs.com). It used to be a dump but they completely overhauled the place last year and it is pretty good .

Ropewalk (http://www.ropewalktavern.com) on S. Charles St is another cool place to hang.

The best thing about Baltimore is the happy hour specials. $1 beers and $2 burgers, etc are the norm down there, especially during the week.

Archived