NYC Questions

vanDoug

Totally jacked about my 2 week visit there in early Sept.

Been reading online reviews of stuff, but I thought I'd ask you folks who live/have lived/visit often there....

What's your:

-fav sports bar

-fav pizza

-fav mexican food

-fav anything else

thanks,

d

Pizza: Di Fara (Ave J & East 15th street in Brooklyn) [Ave J stop on the Q Train] Best pizza you can get.

Mexican Food: La Taqueria in Brookyln 7th Ave and Berkeley Place

Those are my personal favorites & the favorites of many others.

Totally jacked about my 2 week visit there in early Sept.

Been reading online reviews of stuff, but I thought I'd ask you folks who live/have lived/visit often there....

What's your:

-fav sports bar

-fav pizza

-fav mexican food

-fav anything else

thanks,

d

2 weeks is a nice amount of time. If you want the best ny pizza and have the time i would suggest trying all the great places, a kind of pizza tour.

grimaldi's in brooklyn

una napolitana in manhattan

Totonno's in brooklyn (the original spot and one to go to)

Johns pizzeria in manhattan (original is downtown but the midtown one is cool and in the times square area

Luzzo's in manhattan

Joe and Pat's if you find yourself in staten island

actually, the big thing in new york pizza is happening on the lower east side, with a whole bunch of what new york foodies are considering the greatest pizza coming out of a few places in that area, una napolitana, luzzo's, Artichoke Basilles, and Gnocco

Sports bars in new york generally suck, don't really have a great suggestion there.

Mex food isn't really a ny thing, but i do have 2 great spots

La Esquina downtown in the soho area

calexico cart is actually a food cart if you are in the broadway/soho area during the day, get the pork!

A friend of mine just opened up an italian restaurant, Lusso, a nice small place in a great location at the corner of grand and WEST broadway(not the regular broadway!). He has a bunch of italian micro brews.

You should check out the feast of san gennaro if you are in town between the 10-20th. Do yourself a favor and go during a weekday during the day to avoid the craziness.

If you really want the scoop on all things food in NYC, eater.com is the bible of new york food.

Does anyone really find themselves on Staten Island?

A ride on the Staten Island Ferry--and viewing the surrounding scenery of the Statue of Liberty, the NYC skyline, ships in the harbor, etc.--is still the best first date, which will cost you almost nothing. In the old days, you could sit outside on the boat's top deck. There's always a great breeze in the summer, and you can buy a beer, coffee, or hot chocolate and enjoy it together and talk. I'm telling you: Take a girlfriend (prospective or otherwise) or wife on this trip and you are guaranteed "action" later on.

If you do find yourself on Staten Island, I think Deninos is better, plus its across the street from the Original Ralph's Ices. Joe and Pats is very overrated

Not sure if these places even exist any longer, but my favorite pizza on the Island--that's right you Long Island wankers, we're the Island :)--was, in this order, Lee's Tavern, Nunzio's, and The Road House. Goin' back to the 60s, it was Ciro's on Hylan Blvd. for their Sicilian pie.

A ride on the Staten Island Ferry--and viewing the surrounding scenery of the Statue of Liberty, the NYC skyline, ships in the harbor, etc.--is still the best first date, which will cost you almost nothing. In the old days, you could sit outside on the boat's top deck. There's always a great breeze in the summer, and you can buy a beer, coffee, or hot chocolate and enjoy it together and talk. I'm telling you: Take a girlfriend (prospective or otherwise) or wife on this trip and you are guaranteed "action" later on.

Hmmm, I've been to NYC 7 times in my life...... Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens....and if you count a ride on the Cross Bronx Expressway with GreenDNA....the Bronx. Never made it to Staten Island. I'll take you up on your advice and give it a shot next time. My wife has never been to NYC so one of these days we'll have to go.

Hmmm, I've been to NYC 7 times in my life...... Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens....and if you count a ride on the Cross Bronx Expressway with GreenDNA....the Bronx. Never made it to Staten Island. I'll take you up on your advice and give it a shot next time. My wife has never been to NYC so one of these days we'll have to go.

It really is a fun 20 min. ride each way. The view of the NYC skyline coming back to lower Manhattan is unbeatable. In the old days coming home from work in the City, we'd grab two 20 oz. brews for the ride. I miss those days.

steakhouse;

www.keens.com

very expensive, but worth it. A landmark that has been there for 150 years. This is actually more of a chop house, their mutton and other cuts are as awesome as the porterhouse. If you want to spoil yourself, and love incredible cuts of meat, this is a must. It's very "old New York" with a pipe collection going back to the 1800's.

Italian;

http://www.carminesnyc.com/

Amazing portion sizes for the money, and all cooked to perfection. Times square location. I've recomended this place a dozen times, and everyone who goes says they loved it

steakhouse;

www.keens.com

very expensive, but worth it. A landmark that has been there for 150 years. This is actually more of a chop house, their mutton and other cuts are as awesome as the porterhouse. If you want to spoil yourself, and love incredible cuts of meat, this is a must. It's very "old New York" with a pipe collection going back to the 1800's.

Italian;

Amazing portion sizes for the money, and all cooked to perfection. Times square location. I've recomended this place a dozen times, and everyone who goes says they loved it

I went there when it first opened years ago. We ordered chicken, and when the server arrived with what must have been 10 massive chicken breasts on a huge platter, I thought it was a joke. I agree that this is a must for tourists, though you will have to sit family style. Too bad it's closed or I'd send Doug to the Royal Canadian Pancake House for breakfast. I went there in the 90s and walked out with--literally--a shopping bag of leftover pancakes, which were the size of manhole covers.

Damn Joe -- http://www.totonnos.com/

That pizza looks good.

The only Totonno's you can trust is the original--there's one across the road from me in suburban NY and it's total crap. They claim "only God makes better pizza" and I'd rather eat Domino's than at that POS.

Favorite buffalo wings: Candlelight Inn (sure, not in NYC, but if you're ever near Central Ave. you have to go there...it's in Scarsdale.)

If you do find yourself on Staten Island, I think Deninos is better, plus its across the street from the Original Ralph's Ices. Joe and Pats is very overrated

watch your mouth!!!!!

Ralphs is awesome. Deninos is pretty good, but a bitbland compared to some of the greats I mentioned. A bit to grainy crust.

Not sure if these places even exist any longer, but my favorite pizza on the Island--that's right you Long Island wankers, we're the Island :)--was, in this order, Lee's Tavern, Nunzio's, and The Road House. Goin' back to the 60s, it was Ciro's on Hylan Blvd. for their Sicilian pie.

nunzios still there, renovated a few years ago. Still great.

Road house, renovated, killed the place. Was great back in the late 80's early 90's but hugely dissapointing now. I heard they opened a great place in Florida.

Lee's, a lot of people love it, I find it bland, one of the few times I really reach for the salt. Pesto pie is good. It has a huge following with the old timers which leads me to think it used to be pretty good.

nunzios still there, renovated a few years ago. Still great.

Road house, renovated, killed the place. Was great back in the late 80's early 90's but hugely dissapointing now. I heard they opened a great place in Florida.

Lee's, a lot of people love it, I find it bland, one of the few times I really reach for the salt. Pesto pie is good. It has a huge following with the old timers which leads me to think it used to be pretty good.

Thanks for the update, Joe. The Roadhouse was a place--70s, 80s--where we'd wind up for pitchers and amazing pies really late at night. Lee's--when Dickie was running it--had awesome, thin crust pizza. I remember loving the clam pie. Again, lots of pitchers consumed, and a place that had old time booths from the 50s. Glad that Nunzio's is still there and great. They had a really spicy sauce that I liked.

Take tha advice of a fomer staten islander-stay out of staten island on your trip to New York.

If you like history and have relatives that are immigrants a must see is Ellis Island.

Take tha advice of a fomer staten islander-stay out of staten island on your trip to New York.

If you like history and have relatives that are immigrants a must see is Ellis Island.

Yeah, if you only have two weeks you're better off walkng the Brooklyn Bridge to Grimaldi's or taking the subway to Coney Island to Totonno's - didn't they have a fire there recently? If you want square take the train back a couple of stops to 25th Ave and hit Spumoni Gardens or you could have a roast beef at John's Deli. I don't think the Staten Island places or Di Fara's are on any tourist lists.

Thank you for the recommendations.

I'm makin' a list and will try not to gain 14 lbs in 14 days

May I push my luck and ask for more?

-The Gospel brunch at BB Kings, gospel's not really my gig, but the person I'm going with wants to go, anybody been?

-Gotta check out some other music too, anybody been to the Blue Note, Iridium, Village Vanguard??????If so comments? Anywhere else???

thanks again

d

Yeah, if you only have two weeks you're better off walkng the Brooklyn Bridge to Grimaldi's or taking the subway to Coney Island to Totonno's - didn't they have a fire there recently? If you want square take the train back a couple of stops to 25th Ave and hit Spumoni Gardens or you could have a roast beef at John's Deli. I don't think the Staten Island places or Di Fara's are on any tourist lists.

yeah I only mentioned staten island "if he wound up there" I wouldn't recommend it other than a ferry ride, its the best way to see the statue of liberty.

-The Gospel brunch at BB Kings, gospel's not really my gig, but the person I'm going with wants to go, anybody been?

-Gotta check out some other music too, anybody been to the Blue Note, Iridium, Village Vanguard??????If so comments? Anywhere else???

thanks again

d

Les Paul still plays at iridium every week.

You should check out the feast of san gennaro if you are in town between the 10-20th. .

Great stuff Joe.

Was at the feast of San Gennaro before and will go again this time.

Last time spent about $30 trying to dunk this clown in the dunk tank that was trash talking me as I threw. Had a few too many bevies by that point and the arm was failing me.

Great fun.

thanks again

d

I recommend the Classic Harley JN tailgate if you are still in town on Sep. 20th ;-)

Italian;

If you're coming with a group of people, carmines is an absolute must. Great food, decent value, great atmosphere. This is a great recommendation.

Archived