Confederations Cup Thread

Mavrik

Spain pulled out a 5-0 victory with Torres dropping 3 goals in 17 minutes. Iraq and South Africa draw 0-0.

U.S. plays Italy on Monday. Naturally, the U.S. gets the group of death with Brazil, Italy, and Egypt. While Spain will breeze by New Zealand, Iraq, and South Africa.

Hopefully our boys will put up a bigger fight than I think they will. Considering how bad they got slaughtered against Costa Rica, my expectations aren't too high.

Predictions? I'm going to say Spain takes this rather easily.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Spain pulled out a 5-0 victory with Torres dropping 3 goals in 17 minutes. Iraq and South Africa draw 0-0.

U.S. plays Italy on Monday. Naturally, the U.S. gets the group of death with Brazil, Italy, and Egypt. While Spain will breeze by New Zealand, Iraq, and South Africa.

Hopefully our boys will put up a bigger fight than I think they will. Considering how bad they got slaughtered against Costa Rica, my expectations aren't too high.

Predictions? I'm going to say Spain takes this rather easily.

Why is New Zealand a participant in this tournament? They are probably the worst soccer team in the World.

The US plays Italy today at 2:30 EDT on ESPN. I'm hoping that we can replicate the draw from the 1st round of the last World Cup.

U.S. Men vs. Italy

Live on ESPN, ESPN360.com and Telefutura

06/15/2009 2:30 PM ET

U.S. Men vs. Brazil

Live on ESPN2, ESPN360.com and Telefutura

06/18/2009 10:00 AM ET

U.S. Men vs. Egypt

06/21/2009 2:30 PM ET

Terrible red card by the ref on Ricardo Clark. Probably should have gotten another penalty near the end of the game when the Italian defender jumped on Donovan's back in the penalty area.

Rossi would have looked nice in a US uniform. F him.

Why is New Zealand a participant in this tournament? They are probably the worst soccer team in the World.

Judging by Egypt and Iraq also being in the cup, it is not exactly a priority for the top national squads.

How can you guys seriously blame Rossi for picking Italy over the US?

We are Americans and have the Jets Fan Syndrome (i.e. haters). I just associated myself with being a Jets fan. I think I am going to throw up in my mouth.

He was born in New Jersey and spent most of his life in America. I doubt he can even speak Italian.

Not too different then Regis (France) and the guy that just came over from Germany I imagine.

Irregardless of feelings about it, he made the right choice.

He was born in New Jersey and spent most of his life in America. I doubt he can even speak Italian.

And?

No offense to the US soccer team but he's got a much better chance at competing for Championships with Italy. He probably wants to play at the highest level he can.

How can you guys seriously blame Rossi for picking Italy over the US?

I don't. I get more upset over the U.S. having a guy like Neven Subotic on their U21 team and losing him to Serbia because of the arrogance of one of his coaches rather than Rossi choosing the Azzuri over us. Hmmm, do I play for a team that's the last World Cup Champions and perennial contenders or the U.S. which is usually 3 and out everytime?

That 3-1 match was dreadful. U.S. played tough that entire first half, but let that Ricardo Clark red card (which was iffy in itself) completely unravel them in the second half and Rossi torched them up the middle because of it. No excuses. U.S. lost their concentration (again).

Now we pretty much have to win or draw at Brazil and win against Egypt to have any hope of advancing the group. Good luck.

That 3-1 match was dreadful. U.S. played tough that entire first half, but let that Ricardo Clark red card (which was iffy in itself) completely unravel them in the second half and Rossi torched them up the middle because of it. No excuses. U.S. lost their concentration (again).

Now we pretty much have to win or draw at Brazil and win against Egypt to have any hope of advancing the group. Good luck.

The US National Team has been a joke for many years because they cannot grasp the concept of ball possession. They--especially atrocious defenders who are easily fooled or intimidated--are constantly giving the ball back to their opponents in their half. This awful play is fine when you meet the flunkies in our part of the world, but gets exploited when you face the big boys like Italy and Brazil. I feel bad for Landon Donovan, who would find a home on most national squads.

And?

No offense to the US soccer team but he's got a much better chance at competing for Championships with Italy. He probably wants to play at the highest level he can.

His family went back to Italy when he was 13 and Rossi never wanted to play for his Country of birth. The below article is from 2005.

Rossi may contrast against Dooley in that he was born in the U.S., yet apparently never wished to represent the U.S. at the national level. That's a small detail, and one that shouldn't be held against him, even by the most fervent U.S. soccer fans. If Rossi's pursuit of happiness centers on playing for the country of his heritage, that's his particular dream.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=350666&&cc=5901

On topic: Brazil destroyed the USA today. I thought the USA would put up a better fight.

The goalie for Egypt is standing on his head.

If Egypt holds on, the US is still alive.

If Egypt holds on and wins this game I will be the happiest man in America. As I posted earlier; my hate for the Italian national team is off the charts.

If Egypt holds on and wins this game I will be the happiest man in America. As I posted earlier; my hate for the Italian national team is off the charts.

I'm not a big fan of the Italian team either. I was actually rooting for the French to beat them in the last World Cup.

I'm not a big fan of the Italian team either. I was actually rooting for the French to beat them in the last World Cup.

The Italians are a team of floppers. Those pricks fall over at every opportunity.

I hate France (because of the Rugby World Cup) but I wanted them to win in 2006.

The US National Team has been a joke for many years because they cannot grasp the concept of ball possession. They--especially atrocious defenders who are easily fooled or intimidated--are constantly giving the ball back to their opponents in their half. This awful play is fine when you meet the flunkies in our part of the world, but gets exploited when you face the big boys like Italy and Brazil. I feel bad for Landon Donovan, who would find a home on most national squads.

I disagree.

The USMNT is what it is.

Unlike probably 97% of the countries, soccer is not our favorite sport. Or 2nd. Or 3rd.

I do believe it is making progress, but it is what it is. At best, it is in the neighborhood of the NHL. Seeing there was not a professional league for 15 or so years, to be in the Top 30 or so teams is good.

U.S. Men vs. Italy

Live on ESPN, ESPN360.com and Telefutura

06/15/2009 2:30 PM ET

0-3

U.S. Men vs. Brazil

06/18/2009 10:00 AM ET

0-3

U.S. Men vs. Egypt

06/21/2009 2:30 PM ET

1-1

I'm doing pretty good so far.

I disagree.

The USMNT is what it is.

Unlike probably 97% of the countries, soccer is not our favorite sport. Or 2nd. Or 3rd.

I do believe it is making progress, but it is what it is. At best, it is in the neighborhood of the NHL. Seeing there was not a professional league for 15 or so years, to be in the Top 30 or so teams is good.

We've been "making progress" for three decades now. Yet, we still get outclassed most times when we play the elite teams, and continue to field defenders that squander the ball in our zone every chance they get. (I still have not forgiven Jeff Agoos for his abysmal World Cup blunders.) Who knows what could have happened if Jurgen Klinsman had taken control. Bob Bradley is way over his head. This was never more apparent than when he selected his son--a terrible player--for National Team duty. Are you kidding me, Bob? If young Bradley is the caliber of player we possess in this country, then let's disband the team.

Also, "Major League Soccer" (was there ever a more mis-named league?) is a prime example of my comment about US players not grasping the concept of ball possession. The ball is going back and forth so often (usually out-of-control) that it looks more like pinball than soccer. As someone who went to numerous Cosmos games back in the 70s, the level of play in the NASL was light years past that of MLS. I hope it gets better, but--right now--it's unwatchable.

The Italians are a team of floppers. Those pricks fall over at every opportunity.

I hate France (because of the Rugby World Cup) but I wanted them to win in 2006.

Was this the catalyst of your displeasure with the Italian National Team?

viVqhzcjQSQ

We've been "making progress" for three decades now. Yet, we still get outclassed most times when we play the elite teams, and continue to field defenders that squander the ball in our zone every chance they get. (I still have not forgiven Jeff Agoos for his abysmal World Cup blunders.) Who knows what could have happened if Jurgen Klinsman had taken control. Bob Bradley is way over his head. This was never more apparent than when he selected his son--a terrible player--for National Team duty. Are you kidding me, Bob? If young Bradley is the caliber of player we possess in this country, then let's disband the team.

Also, "Major League Soccer" (was there ever a more mis-named league?) is a prime example of my comment about US players not grasping the concept of ball possession. The ball is going back and forth so often (usually out-of-control) that it looks more like pinball than soccer. As someone who went to numerous Cosmos games back in the 70s, the level of play in the NASL was light years past that of MLS. I hope it gets better, but--right now--it's unwatchable.

I agree with all your points, except the length of progress. I believe whatever gains, minimal at best, were made when the NASL took the field 40 years ago. They were lost when there was a decade between the NASL and MLS.

Archived