Washington Nationals @ New York Yankees [Yankee Stadium] Game Thread

Vudu

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Maybe this loss is a good thing. The manager that doesn't know what a suicide squeeze is, is a step closer to getting fired.

If Joe did do the squeeze, and it failed I think it would be worse then not doing it all all. I doubt A-Rod can bunt anyway.

If Joe did do the squeeze, and it failed I think it would be worse then not doing it all all. I doubt A-Rod can bunt anyway.

I said squeeze when Cano was up, not when A-Rod was up. I was hoping for a sacrifice at least with A-Rod. It doesn't matter anymore, losing to the Nationals hopefully means were 1 step closer to getting rid of this dumb manager. Gardner could have gotten home on the suicide, so all we needed was a pretty good bunt from Cano.

I don't get it

It's the managers fault we couldn't hit Lannan, and ARod or Cano can't get a sacrifice?

SOmetimes, the finger needs to be pointed at the players

Lannan is actually a pretty good pitcher, and has not only shut us down, he also shut down the Mets recently, but that's expected, because their hitters blow. We need to beat the Nationals though. I hope the Yanks lose tomorrow though, so it really is a step closer to Girardi getting fired.

Lannan is actually a pretty good pitcher, and has not only shut us down, he also shut down the Mets recently, but that's expected, because their hitters blow. We need to beat the Nationals though. I hope the Yanks lose tomorrow though, so it really is a step closer to Girardi getting fired.

Come on, I really wouldn't take it that far...

You guys are lucky you didn't have to watch on the Nationals broadcast. Their Tv announcers are seriously bad. I know the Yankees guys aren't always great but trust me they are way way better than the Nats announcers. One of them is constantly whining about strike calls even after the little strike zone clearly shows it was not a strike. God they are just terrible.

You guys are lucky you didn't have to watch on the Nationals broadcast. Their Tv announcers are seriously bad. I know the Yankees guys aren't always great but trust me they are way way better than the Nats announcers. One of them is constantly whining about strike calls even after the little strike zone clearly shows it was not a strike. God they are just terrible.

The way that strike zone was, their announcers were complaining? How many times did that idiot umpire call strike 3's on Swisher today? 2 times? and they weren't even strikes.

I said squeeze when Cano was up, not when A-Rod was up. I was hoping for a sacrifice at least with A-Rod. It doesn't matter anymore, losing to the Nationals hopefully means were 1 step closer to getting rid of this dumb manager. Gardner could have gotten home on the suicide, so all we needed was a pretty good bunt from Cano.

You have one of your hottest hitters up, and you are thinking "squeeze"?

Yikes

You have one of your hottest hitters up, and you are thinking "squeeze"?

Yikes

I agree with Scott here. No way you bunt Cano there with the way he's been hitting. He put up a great at bat too. What a shame, that felt like another Yankee comeback.

I agree with Scott here. No way you bunt Cano there with the way he's been hitting. He put up a great at bat too. What a shame, that felt like another Yankee comeback.

Which is exactly why we ended up losing to the worst team in baseball. A squeeze would easily get home the white Usain Bolt.

And if he fails to put the bat on the ball, you run into an out.

Bad strategy with too much risk.

If he failed to put the bat on the ball, and it's an 0-2 count, then you obviously take the bunt off. It may a lot of risk, but the game could be tied right now. The Suicide Squeeze would have easily gotten Gardner home, no one should deny that. If people are afraid of Cano not being about to bunt, bring in someone like Jeter, or Berrora to bunt.

If he failed to put the bat on the ball, and it's an 0-2 count, then you obviously take the bunt off. It may a lot of risk, but the game could be tied right now. The Suicide Squeeze would have easily gotten Gardner home, no one should deny that. If people are afraid of Cano not being about to bunt, bring in someone like Jeter, or Berrora to bunt.

I guess you don't know what a suicide squeeze is- The runner takes off on his delivery home.

If the batter misses-the runner is hung out to dry.

Have you watched big league hitters trying to bunt? 90% of them can't execute.

I guess you don't know what a suicide squeeze is- The runner takes off on his delivery home.

I have to agree with you.....asking for a fly ball out was the smartest thing to do....

squeezes are rare for a reason....

Washington will win every now and then..jeez....2 out of 3 is the desired result..sweeps are nice to get but never count on them from the beginning of the series...

The best case result is that the Yankees get out of their funk, not counting the game Sunday against the Mets (normally a game with a big crooked number never really signals the end of a slump, just an exception to the rule) maybe they start to loosen up and get some hits!

to bad too because Wang had a very good outing for what we have been used to from him.

I have to agree with you.....asking for a fly ball out was the smartest thing to do....

squeezes are rare for a reason....

Washington will win every now and then..jeez....2 out of 3 is the desired result..sweeps are nice to get but never count on them from the beginning of the series...

The best case result is that the Yankees get out of their funk, not counting the game Sunday against the Mets (normally a game with a big crooked number never really signals the end of a slump, just an exception to the rule) maybe they start to loosen up and get some hits!

to bad too because Wang had a very good outing for what we have been used to from him.

2 outta 3 aint bad

:face:

I believe he was 3-3 already at that point in the night, he's on fire and I believe I heard he's hitting in the 340's after the 7th. You gotta put your trust in your players

2 outta 3 aint bad

isn't it the rule? Aim for two out of three...just because the Nats suck doesn't mean they can't win a game here and there..and the Yanks have lost some steam since their big run...lose three to the Sox, barely take 2-3 from the Mets...they are obviously on a downswing right now.

Hence why I would go for it, you may be criticized if it's a **** up, and they don't score but I think it's worth the risk, especially if it means you don't end up losing to the worst team in baseball.

:face:

I believe he was 3-3 already at that point in the night, he's on fire and I believe I heard he's hitting in the 340's after the 7th. You gotta put your trust in your players

He was 3 for 3? Gee... I thought he was 1 for 3. I don't have any trust in a player not named Jeter. He's the only real clutch player on this team. Only other one that comes close is Melky. Other then that, no trust in anyone else.

It can't be a rainout, because they don't play Washington anymore this year, so they have to get the game in today, most likely they will. I heard from Peter Abraham that it'd be clear by 3, I think he said.

Last year the last game of the Yankees-Pirates series was cancelled. The Yankees had to go back and play a game in Pittsburgh in August.

Both teams probably have a mutually available off-day later in the season. If tonight's game gets rained out they will play it then.

He was 3 for 3? Gee... I thought he was 1 for 3. I don't have any trust in a player not named Jeter. He's the only real clutch player on this team. Only other one that comes close is Melky. Other then that, no trust in anyone else.

You know what? My bad MB, that was the previous game I believe, he did go 1 for 4 so I apologize for the false information.

I still feel it was the right move, he's got one of the best BA's on the team, if not the best, so let him swing the bat. That's baseball, decisions have to be made and it's either it works or it doesn't. Now if Melky is up there, I might agree with you as he has shown he can bunt somewhat effectively.

Here's the Yankees lineup. No Jeter or Posada. Cervelli catching. Gardner leading off.

YANKEES (37-28)

Gardner CF

Damon LF

Teixeira 1B

Rodriguez 3B

Cano 2B

Swisher RF

Matsui DH

Cervelli C

Pena SS

Pitching: RHP Joba Chamberlain (3-1, 3.84).

NATIONALS (17-46)

Guzman SS

Johnson 1B

Zimmerman 3B

Dunn DH

Kearns RF

Patterson CF

Harris LF

Belliard 2B

Nieves C

Pitching: RHP Craig Stammen (0-2, 5.86).

Archived