Anyone else tired of this whole "we are a country of 2nd chances" mantra re:athletes?

NFLs StepChild

Vick, Burress, Marshall, Kobe, Bellicheck, Stallworth... and these are just the scumbags we covered today.

Seems we are always willing to give some POS another chance because they have talent, instead of shutting down their career to send a message to the incoming POS(pl) to straighten up, understand what kind of opportunity they have ahead of them and not allow for a league to be overrun with scumbags, cheaters and criminals. Sure you have to allow for a certain degree of tolerance, lets say a guy gets falsely accused or whatever... but enough is enough.

2nd chance to be reinstated into society? Ok. Allowed back in the game they damaged. No.

I'm fine with second chances, what I can't stand is 3rd & 4th chances.

A person should be allowed to re-prove himself once. If you keep blowing it, you should be thrown out. Like I can't comprehend why Pacman Jones isn't banned from the NFL.

Vick, Burress, Marshall, Kobe, Bellicheck, Stallworth... and these are just the scumbags we covered today.

Seems we are always willing to give some POS another chance because they have talent, instead of shutting down their career to send a message to the incoming POS(pl) to straighten up, understand what kind of opportunity they have ahead of them and not allow for a league to be overrun with scumbags, cheaters and criminals. Sure you have to allow for a certain degree of tolerance, lets say a guy gets falsely accused or whatever... but enough is enough.

2nd chance to be reinstated into society? Ok. Allowed back in the game they damaged. No.

How the **** is Kobe on that list? I dare you to bring up the rape controversy.

Athletes and other high visibility people will always get preferential treatment. However, you are kidding yourself if you don't think that normal people don't get second chances as well. Very few people go to jail for first time offenses unless it is a truly heinous crime like murder, rape, molestation, etc.

How the eff is Belichick on this list?. Say what you want about the guy, but last time I checked he did not kill a bunch of dogs, kill someone while driving under the influence, carry a concealed and unlicensed firearm; that accidently goes off in a crowded nightclub, and hasn't been accused of raping a hotel chambermaid.

How the eff is Belichick on this list?. Say what you want about the guy, but last time I checked he did not kill a bunch of dogs, kill someone while driving under the influence, carry a concealed and unlicensed firearm; that accidently goes off in a crowded nightclub, and hasn't been accused of raping a hotel chambermaid.

He stole a million dollars from a dying man.

That's pretty ****ed up.

I think 2nd chances can be warranted when the offense is minor and there is no prior pattern of criminal and/or stupid/selfish/dangerous behavior. For instance, Sean Ellis likes pot and got caught with it once. dumb, but not a behavioral pattern. Plax has bad habits, makes poor decisions and often has a poor attitude. Same can be said of most on the op list (though Belly violated NFL rules, not criminal law or societal rules--he gets a pass). The sad thing is that The Curtis Martins and Curt Warners of the league are ignored for the Pacmans and Plaxicos. I agree that the scum have no right sharing the league with the truly decent players. And I will not root for them on my team or any other.

He stole a million dollars from a dying man.

That's pretty ****ed up.

I still need someone to actually explain how he stole it. He was the HC of the NYJ - granted it was only for a day - but hey, sh*t happens. I know someone that took a new job - got a signing bonus - and ended up quiting 5 weeks later because they hated the place. There was no stipulaion with the signing bonus. So, the person kept it. Is it the right thing to do? Probably not - but since corporations don't blink twice about laying people off - eh, screw 'em. It's like the poster who says that it's not all Stallworths fault - the deceased was jaywalking afterall! So, take that a step further. Hess gave BB a signing bonus without any time contraints/stipulation. So, Hess is as much to blame. ;) Is what BB did a nice thing? Nope. Is it stealing? I don't think so.

Am I clearer now?

I think 2nd chances can be warranted when the offense is minor and there is no prior pattern of criminal and/or stupid/selfish/dangerous behavior. For instance, Sean Ellis likes pot and got caught with it once. dumb, but not a behavioral pattern. Plax has bad habits, makes poor decisions and often has a poor attitude. Same can be said of most on the op list (though Belly violated NFL rules, not criminal law or societal rules--he gets a pass). The sad thing is that The Curtis Martins and Curt Warners of the league are ignored for the Pacmans and Plaxicos. I agree that the scum have no right sharing the league with the truly decent players. And I will not root for them on my team or any other.

Good points. Again, there has to be a good moderator to draw the line on what is and is not acceptable. Ellis to me is a major disappointment based on he is just too f'ing stupid to continue risking recreational drug useage to jeapordize an NFL career. Then tossing a snowball at fans was just stupid, you need to carry yourself like a pro. Man up jack ass.

I dont see Plax in the same class of scum as Pacman...I don't see Belly as a criminal, just a POS. It's all relative and that's the hard part to manage.

LOL, thanks. That means absolutely nothing coming from a patsie troll/sheep.

Look Patsie Nation! A hole in the sand...Let's all stick our heads in it.

I still need someone to actually explain how he stole it. He was the HC of the NYJ - granted it was only for a day - but hey, sh*t happens. I know someone that took a new job - got a signing bonus - and ended up quiting 5 weeks later because they hated the place. There was no stipulaion with the signing bonus. So, the person kept it. Is it the right thing to do? Probably not - but since corporations don't blink twice about laying people off - eh, screw 'em. It's like the poster who says that it's not all Stallworths fault - the deceased was jaywalking afterall! So, take that a step further. Hess gave BB a signing bonus without any time contraints/stipulation. So, Hess is as much to blame. ;) Is what BB did a nice thing? Nope. Is it stealing? I don't think so.

Maybe he just misinterpreted the contract?

This really shouldn't be a big surprise too you, happens all the time. Not just with athletes but most people with money....BTW I still don't think Kobe raped that girl...but whatever.

No man, not surprised at all. Doesn't mean I have to like it.

We are all entitled to our own opinions in the court of public opinion. That's why they call it that.

I happen to believe Kobe raped that chick. Anyway, I'm mostly picking on "therapist" because of all the love he gets here by his superfans. Also I just love it when rapists get put on a pedestal.

One of two things happened in the Kobe case:

A. He committed adultery and the woman had sex with him because he is a star and knew she could get money out of it, especially by then coming out and crying rape

or

B. He did rape her and paid her off

Either way, $ speaks and the girl got what she wanted in the end.

A. He committed adultery and the woman had sex with him because he is a star and knew she could get money out of it, especially by then coming out and crying rape

or

As much as I detest Kobe I don't believe he raped that woman. If anyone is interested just go to http://www.thesmokinggun.com/ and search for Kobe Bryant.

Is he a scumbag? Of course. Did he rape her? I don't think so.

NFLs StepChild: Belichick? WTF does he have to do with anything?

Oh my goodness. OMG seemed to gay. Finally someone who agrees with me. I'm so tired of these multimillionairs getting richer and they are the biggest bunch of dirtbags every. So what they can catch and run and coach and shoot.

They don't get second chance because they have money. They get second chances because they have talent. If they are fat or slow they won't keep getting chances. See Clarett, Philips and Leaf. They get chances because we are paying to see good football and winning teams and not to see role models that we trust to babysit our kids.

BTW, Leonard Little belongs on that list.

or

Wow. Some interesting inferences there. A is certainly a possibility. It would be foolish to think that is not possible.

B however...I'm not sure that her goal was to get raped and then paid off. And it wouldn't justify the rape because she was paid a big settlement.

Athletes and other high visibility people will always get preferential treatment. However, you are kidding yourself if you don't think that normal people don't get second chances as well. Very few people go to jail for first time offenses unless it is a truly heinous crime like murder, rape, molestation, etc.

I was thinking about this the other day... Do athletes really get preferential treatment when it comes to things like this? Hear me out........

It's one thing to say, yeah, I wouldn't hire a guy who was convicted of dog-fighting to my company... but, at the same time, say I was running a business, and I had the ability to hire one of the top 32 (or better) people in the world at their job, and he had a criminal record... I don't know that I wouldn't.

Archived